• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

MLH

Is the 3DS version using the Smash 3DS engine?

Um no. But I'm sure the developers at Toylogic are using all their knowledge from Kid Icarus and Smash3DS to really push the 3DS as they've done in those previous examples; it looks somewhat better than DQ7r.

Every company says that until they're ready to make an announcement. And they can't just make that announcement any time they want to; there are deals to line up and business entanglements to address.

Lines like that always remind of the time Atlus said their were no plans to bring Catherine to the west and then announced the game's localization exactly a week later.

rhandino

Banned
Which one of these is the hero of IX, can you tell me?
Insider.jpg
That's the beauty of that game tho! Every single one of them can be a hero!

I absolutely love DQIX because even if your characters are blank states the world around them is so full of life and charming characters that is quite nice getting to imagine the motivations of your made up party...

F4r0_Atak

Complementary would be purple and yellow actually, or red and green.

I would like to disagree with that.

First of all, the opposite color to pretty much any shades of yellow is usually a blue shade, not purple like you said. You can test it if you want by inverting the values or by looking at a Color Circle/Grid/etc.

Furthermore, as we know, each tone/degree of the numerous colors has its own opposite in the color grid/circle/chart. The complementary color represents, usually, the opposite value of the chosen color (the light purple in this case). For exemple, the most common set of complementary colors are the blue and orange we see in almost any game, from Bloodborne to Dragon's Dogman to Resident Evil. Colors often chosen to portray dark areas or nighttime. As seen in the picture below...

dqxi_colors-comparisozip34.jpg

... the color green "booger" is perfectly fit to the chosen purple (which is not a pure purple) for the MC design. There might be a little difference in the tone/shade obtained, but the result is obvious. The art team did choose a proper color to match the purple coat/vest worn by the MC.

HNNNG those PS4 shots. Game looks fucking gorgeous.

I'm really excited for this game. A traditional AAA JRPG with turn-based combat and no shitty fanservice I thought was something completely extinct. Day 0 for me!

dramatis

HNNNG those PS4 shots. Game looks fucking gorgeous.

I'm really excited for this game. A traditional AAA JRPG with turn-based combat and no shitty fanservice I thought was something completely extinct. Day 0 for me!
If it's a Dragon Quest game, there will be puff puff.

inner-G

Banned
You do understand what "role playing" is, right? It's right in the genre's name. Creating your own character is a staple of the genre, going all the way back to tabletop RPGs
JRPGs are more like playable manga stories than D&D, truthfact. Aside from hit points and character archetypes most JRPGs have very little in common with D&D.

It's a big reason why I prefer them to most western RPGs

Both versions look great.

Perhaps some light adjustment would help the characters clash less with the backgrounds in the PS4 version.The torches for example don't cast enough highlights and shadows on the models but it's still wip so hopefully they 'll address it in time.

AgeEighty

You tried to say that the hero has an identifiable look in DQ9, and there are three faceless followers akin to DQ3.

What? No, I didn't. I said the whole party including the hero are blank-slate characters.

JRPGs are more like playable manga stories than D&D, truthfact. Aside from hit points and character archetypes most JRPGs have very little in common with D&D.

It's a big reason why I prefer them to most western RPGs

Nonsense. JRPGs can't be pigeonholed into one archetype like that; there are ones where all the characters are fully written by the developer and there are others (like Dragon Quest) that have silent protagonists you can imagine with just about any personality you like.

And they have a lot more in common with D&D than just hit points, levels and fantasy tropes; the whole concept of the way combat unfolds is taken directly from tabletop RPGs, only without the move-minor-standard formula (which would be superfluous anyway in many video game RPGs). They just don't show you the numbers on the dice.

heringer

PS4 version looks a little... weird? The background artstyle doesn't really match with the character and monsters. It really stands out in the dungeon pic.

3DS looks better than I expected, but I hate the chibi look.

I wonder if they will release the 2D version on mobile eventually. Seems like a good idea.

orioto

Good Art™
PS4 version looks a little... weird? The background artstyle doesn't really match with the character and monsters. It really stands out in the dungeon pic.

3DS looks better than I expected, but I hate the chibi look.

It's the black line round them.

I love to see something like DQ with graphics like that personally, it's pretty crazy. i'd liek to emphasize on the fact that this main character probably as the most next anime look of any game ever. DBZ, Naruto nor any of the big toei games are nowhere near that detail and light, not even mentioning the iq (but must be bs) And we're talking about a DQ game ...

xaszatm

Banned
Do you think DQ7's hero would make sense being a mohawked Mii-looking guy when he's supposed to be a country bumpkin?

Do you think DQ6's prettyboy (secretly a
prince
) hero would make sense being an old woman?

Even speechless main characters have specific designs for a reason. This is why DQXI's hero looks like he'll have a static design, and if the
Dragonlord
theory is true, it needs to remain that way to make sense.

Which one of these is the hero of IX, can you tell me?
Insider.jpg

No, I don't. I do think that each game is tailor made to support each hero. IX's hero is designed to be customizable but his/her initial clothes are what makes him/her stand out. I have no doubt if the previous DQ games could do it, that they would also have you change how the hero looks depending on what clothes you wear. Heck, DQIII did it (rather shamelessly admittedly) with the bikini item. I...I just can't understand why you are so adamant that DQIX cannot be a "true" DQ game.

Go_Ly_Dow

the town looks great. i want to see an HD video if it in motion now.

Whenever people mention HD towns in JRPG threads.... I can never tell if they are taking the piss out of S-E/Kitase's comments about FFXIII or if they're genuinely excited about seeing a town/city locale in HD!

lol

Whenever people mention HD towns in JRPG threads.... I can never tell if they are taking the piss out of S-E/Kitase's comments about FFXIII or if they're genuinely excited about seeing a town/city locale in HD!

lol

lol i think i'm fascinated with towns if i can explore it by going inside buildings. i enjoyed just walking around FFXII. last time i replayed it i ended up creating a small scenario and talking to myself LOL.

Kanann

heard some complain about own characters creation from IX and X (and III) here
hmm~...

The middle ground is you're create yourself and another in PT members are fix character?
like my avatar character hanging around with Jessica, Alena, Bianca , etc. :p

when playing RPG, jRPG or not, I love to playing myself :)

but in DQXI case may be worse, playing that purple dude with random generate party member............

Go_Ly_Dow

lol i think i'm fascinated with towns if i can explore it by going inside buildings. i enjoyed just walking around FFXII. last time i replayed it i ended up creating a small scenario and talking to myself LOL.

so the HD town lust....is a real thing!

mindblown

Looks so freaking good.

I would like to disagree with that.

First of all, the opposite color to pretty much any shades of yellow is usually a blue shade, not purple like you said. You can test it if you want by inverting the values or by looking at a Color Circle/Grid/etc.

Furthermore, as we know, each tone/degree of the numerous colors has its own opposite in the color grid/circle/chart. The complementary color represents, usually, the opposite value of the chosen color (the light purple in this case). For exemple, the most common set of complementary colors are the blue and orange we see in almost any game, from Bloodborne to Dragon's Dogman to Resident Evil. Colors often chosen to portray dark areas or nighttime. As seen in the picture below...

dqxi_colors-comparisozip34.jpg

... the color green "booger" is perfectly fit to the chosen purple (which is not a pure purple) for the MC design. There might be a little difference in the tone/shade obtained, but the result is obvious. The art team did choose a proper color to match the purple coat/vest worn by the MC.

Purple, green, and orange sword sheath. MC is basically rocking EVA colors.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Looks so freaking good.

Purple, green, and orange sword sheath. MC is basically rocking EVA colors.

You just reminded me I'm still waiting for Evangelion 3.33 to hit North America on blu ray

g2YBkV0.png

I actually think the 3ds background and models look a lot more off than the ps4 ones which look so great together :x

The 3DS version looks hideous

Toparaman

Banned
Fuuuuuckk man. PS4 version looks great, if a little bit "engine-y". I really hope the battles are seamless, because that's the main thing that made me stop playing DQ8. Chrono Trigger did it just fine 20 years ago, so I don't understand why it's not a standard.

Shit, I love Japanese video games for home consoles. The drop in AAA Japanese output from the PS2 to PS3 was tragic. I'm so glad they're attempting to make a comeback this gen.

Shin

Banned
Damn that looks great, such a great time to be a gamer.
To me at least, digging all the high caliber Japanese games.

Top Bottom