• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

red731

I am looking for this, but I need direct footage in 1080p to say what I think.
I just have blurry pixelated mess on my monitor when watching facebook/youtube PS4 capture.

Nerix

I really don´t get why they release trailers in such a bad quality.

You would think they are interested in showing the game to the consumer how it will look like playing it on a PS4, and not in a shitty low-bitrate trailer where it looks like running on a PS2.

Probably there are many people who don´t recognize that it´s because of the bad video quality and think "uh, dat looks like shit, won´t get a PS4"

So pls give me a direct feed, 1080p high bitrate trailer.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I really don´t get why they release trailers in such a bad quality.

You would think they are interested in showing the game to the consumer how it will look like playing it on a PS4, and not in a shitty low-bitrate trailer where it looks like running on a PS2.

Probably there are many people who don´t recognize that it´s because of the bad video quality and think "uh, dat looks like shit, won´t get a PS4"

So pls give me a direct feed, 1080p high bitrate trailer.

Pretty sure this was posted with the PS Share Button. Hence the 720p.

Thrakier

And why are you posting this?

Well, it looks about as good and it's from 2011. It also runs with double the framerate. And I'm guessing, the image quality is even higher (I'd be surprised if Driveclub has perfect antialiasing).

I know, open world yadda yadda, but it also runs at double the framerate and the tracks are quite long.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I went back and watched FORZA 5 E3 footage, honest to god environments in FORZA looked like a generation below what's in Driveclub.

Watch it guys it's mindblowing.

I see now why Forza 5 runs at 60fps, aside from cars, everything looks embarrassingly bad. also Forza has bad pop ins in the rearview mirrors o_O

FORZA 5 Gamplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NySJyi2pw

er No.

Both look great. Graphically they both look pretty similar to me and Forza was developed to be 60fps from day one whereas the devs of Driveclub are hoping to get to 60fps from a 30fps build. I don't believe they will get there.

JordanN

Banned
I am looking for this, but I need direct footage in 1080p to say what I think.
I just have blurry pixelated mess on my monitor when watching facebook/youtube PS4 capture.

Did you press the HD button? It's still blurry but more watchable.

Or do you have a 1440p monitor or higher? In which case yeah, it will look 4x as bad.

Nerix

Pretty sure this was posted with the PS Share Button. Hence the 720p.
If videos uploaded with the share button will look like this, they can remove that button right away, no use for that...

But didn´t they upload the PS4 reveal KZ Demo in February via the Share Button? The quality was much better than this footage. Perhaps there are different quality settings (I hope so).

Well, it looks about as good and it's from 2011. It also runs with double the framerate. And I'm guessing, the image quality is even higher (I'd be surprised if Driveclub has perfect antialiasing).

I know, open world yadda yadda, but it also runs at double the framerate and the tracks are quite long.

It doesn't look anywhere near as good. The lighting in particular is fairly dull compared to DC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm fully aware of that, but does that mean X1 has already been maxed out. That simply mean that the hardware isn't capable enough to maintain good IQ + 60 FPS

Well you have devs working on brand new developer kits with iterative hardware and XDK changes. They also have the issue of actually learning the hardware and finding out the best ways to optimise the code all whilst ensuring that they give themselves enough time to complete development to ensure they hit the launch deadline.

Given all that. Do you really believe that Xbox One hardware has been maxed out?

Xater

Playing at Gamescom I thought NFS Rivals was the better looking game with a better sense of speed. Still gonna give the PSN+ version a try but I ma not convinced to get the full game at launch.

cyberheater

Playing at Gamescom I thought NFS Rivals was the better looking game with a better sense of speed. Still gonna give the PSN+ version a try but I ma not convinced to get the full game at launch.

Interesting. Did you get a chance to play Forza?

Coolwhip

Banned

Has there been any coverage on NFS Rivals?

Seems like they used the Share button and built in PS4 video recording. Cool that it works great but it seems to be 720p only.

Paul Rustchynsky ‏@Rushy33 12h
@Kaswa101 @scf2k I'm not what the final capture specs are. We chose 720p at the time as we were bandwidth limited on the Gamescom showfloor.

Xater

Interesting. Did you get a chance to play Forza?

Sadly no. Even on press day there was a big ,one and I had appointments to get to. There were all kinds of people there this year that were definitely not press. Also probably wasted too much time p,aging like an hour of Killer Instinct.

Has there been any coverage on NFS Rivals?

I don't know. I played the coped I they had running at the EA bar in the business area. There was also another demo but I didn't have a chance to try that one, mostly due to scheduling.

Jburton

Banned

It's running on a PC, we are discussing a console game ........ So to put it bluntly ... who gives a fuck!

Seems more like shitting up the thread than actually adding anything to the conversation.

I get why they uploaded it to facebook, the social aspect : lots of shares, likes etc.
But they also need to upload an uncompressed version to really wow the likes of us here on gaf. C'mon Evolution!

amar212

We had day night cycles (not options, there's a huge difference between the two) on PS1?

Yes. First driving game I remember that had day/night cycles and even full 24-hour cycle was Eutechnyx's LeMans 24 Hours (1999 - published by Infogrames, it was titled Test Drive: Le Mans in the US). It even had proper fireworks for 24Hours race, etc.

Magnificent game, great choice of tracks, 8 vehicles on track, even real-time adjustable rev-limit.

First game I remember having it was F335 Challenge..

F355 Challenge didn't have day/night cycles, not on Arcades, Dreamcast or (most superior) PS2 version.

It had something else, a Magic Weather system (more known from the Shenmue and used by AM2 in the F355C too, same as Analyzer system for Shenmue that was used to power F355C's Driving Data optionality). Magic Weather system allowed for choice of different lightning/weather settings (in user-controlled modes, in the main modes game was randomizing the Magic Weather) in 7-8 different settings (morning, noon, overcast, afternoon...).

Worth noticing is how F355 Challenge had fully animated pit-stops - and it is still a true gem of the overall racing genre.

Here are the 4 variations of the Magic Weather from F355C:

bg18_640w.jpg

First PS2 game that I remember which actually had day/night cycle was - again the orginaly Dreamcast port - the LeMans 24 Hours game developed by Melbourne House (2001 on PS2, again published by Infogrames) that also had full 24-hour cycle and full simulation of weather changes. It also had fully animated pit-stops and it was also a great game.

F355 Challenge didn't have day/night cycles, not on Arcades, Dreamcast or (most superior) PS2 version.

It had something else, a Magic Weather system (more known from the Shenmue and used by AM2 in the F355C too, same as Analyzer system for Shenmue that was used to power F355C's Driving Data optionality). Magic Weather system allowed for choice of different lightning/weather settings (in user-controlled modes, in the main modes game was randomizing the Magic Weather) in 7-8 different settings (morning, noon, overcast, afternoon...).

Worth noticing is how F355 Challenge had fully animated pit-stops - and it is still a true gem of the overall racing genre.

Here are the 4 variations of the Magic Weather from F355C:

First PS2 game that I remember which actually had day/night cycle was - again the orginaly Dreamcast port - the LeMans 24 Hours game developed by Melbourne House (2001 on PS2, again published by Infogrames) that also had full 24-hour cycle and full simulation of weather changes. It also had fully animated pit-stops and it was also a great game.

Hum, is there a game like F355 Challenge that did have day/night cycles? Pretty sure I remember playing one at the arcades that did.

RetroStu

Banned
Looks great, the only thing i didn't like was how low the camera is in the external camera view (which i tend to use), you could barely see the road in front of you.

Top Bottom