• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

I love the way it looks (it should fill that Ridge Racer game at launch void quite nicely), and the track detail is amazing, there's just one thing i don't like and it applies to foliage in games in general, the connection to the ground is quite jarring, maybe its the color discrepancy... it just seems to stick out like fake hair on a wig... i know i may be asking for to much... but if possible it would be ace if they'd somehow manage to make it look more natural.

vivftp

I can just imagine if PS4 eventually gains Occulus Rift support... wearing the rift.... playing with a quality steering wheel... holy frack that would be quite schweet.

C'mon Sony! Either add Rift support, or come out with your own variant! Pleeeeeeeease!

strata8

those shadows when passing through trees, wow

That was actually the only thing that bugged me to be honest. Realistic shadows should appear blurrier the further away they are from the caster, so the ultra-sharp shadows from the trees looked a bit off-putting. It's called the penumbra:

800px-Diagram_of_umbra%2C_penumbra_%26_antumbra.png

Example in Crysis 3:
penumbra.jpg

Other than that though, it looks really, really good. Loved the environments.

Kambing

Well done Evolution!

Really impressed by what i saw, really looked high fidelity across all fronts. The one thing that i am very happy about is the reduced and or elimination of pop-ins. The last time i saw this game i remember it had very very annoying pop-in, to the point of making me not want to buy it. But in this video, despite a denser environment, as far as i can recall anyway, i am unable to notice pop-in. Awesomeeeeeee. Going to upgrade the PS+ version of this bad boy when i get it.

IN&OUT

Banned
I went back and watched FORZA 5 E3 footage, honest to god environments in FORZA looked like a generation below what's in Driveclub.

Watch it guys it's mindblowing.

I see now why Forza 5 runs at 60fps, aside from cars, everything looks embarrassingly bad. also Forza has bad pop ins in the rearview mirrors o_O

FORZA 5 Gamplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NySJyi2pw

I went back and watched FORZA 5 E3 footage, honest to god environments in FORZA looked like a generation below what's in Driveclub.

Watch it guys it's mindblowing.

I see now why Forza 5 runs at 60fps, aside from cars, everything looks embarrassingly bad. also Forza has bad pop ins in the rearview mirrors o_O

FORZA 5 Gamplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NySJyi2pw

I wouldn't go that far. The environments, specifically the foliage don't look as good as DriveClub, nor the lighting looks as natural due to being pre baked, but graphically it looks fantastic. I noticed from the gamescon build the car modelling detail is very high. Forza has it's own strengths and weaknesses as does DriveClub.

adelante

The environments are lacking because they devs made a deliberate decision to have the game run at 60fps, not the other way around as you seem to imply. When you're on a budget (be it framerate or geometric detail), something's got to give. Doesn't take an idiot to figure that out ;)

IN&OUT

Banned
The environments are lacking because they devs made a deliberate decision to have the game run at 60fps, not the other way around as you seem to imply. When you're on a budget (be it framerate or geometric detail), something's got to give. Doesn't take an idiot to figure that out ;)

I'm fully aware of that, but does that mean X1 has already been maxed out. That simply mean that the hardware isn't capable enough to maintain good IQ + 60 FPS

adelante

I'm fully aware of that, but does that mean X1 has already been maxed out. That simply mean that the hardware isn't capable enough to maintain good IQ + 60 FPS

When Forza 2 came out on the 360, looking as horrid as it was back then (still is)... was that indicative of consoles' full potential?

To save yourself from future heart attacks, temper your expectations next time. Try factor in several key things like fps goal, environmental detail, car models, developer pedigree, development time, new hardware etc

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I still think it looks average, but it may be the low bitrate of the vid. I think it looks the same as before, first time i noticed the poor road texture (2:42min).

Zophar

No developer goes into a project with complete mastery of the tools they have, even if the x86 architecture is well documented. It'll be several years before either console is "maxed" out.

IN&OUT

Banned
When Forza 2 came out on the 360, looking as horrid as it was back then (still is)... was that indicative of consoles' full potential?

I get your point, you are totally right. pretty sure It will improve upon release, with future iterations looking even better.

IN&OUT

Banned
No developer goes into a project with complete mastery of the tools they have, even if the x86 architecture is well documented. It'll be several years before either console is "maxed" out.

Very true, I just overreacted a little after comparing driveclub and forza footage.

adelante

I get your point, you are totally right. pretty sure It will improve upon release, with future iterations looking even better.

Yeah...same applies to Drive Club. Heck we don't even have to wait for its successor; I'm sure I'll be more amazed at how the final build of this game will look. It's already quite a stunner in its current state..

Very true, I just overreacted a little after comparing driveclub and forza footage.

I dunno, personally I thought when you put them side by side like that, it really pulls Forza off it's current pedestal. Mind you, the beauty in Forza is it's 60 FPS, which youtube won't capture lol. But that was brutal, I thought the backgrounds looked horrid. Even for city scape, which is far easier to render due to simplistic geometry.

Mind you, I do think Forza will shape up nicely, the series isn't known for being ugly, but we'll have to see what kinda push they can pull off comparative to Evolution, I have a feeling with all this off-screen footage, and facebook compression, were only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

patchday

(replying to OP) wow that looks pretty darn good. Pretty smooth. I personally prefer racing around real tracks (like in Gran Turismo, iRacing, etc) but that looks fun. Game is definitely on my radar. I like the game devs's passion. It's really showing. I can just feel the extra hrs they're pouring into this

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seems like Guerrilla Games and Evolution Studios put a lot of people in their place.
How so?

I'm still interested in seeing how the final game turns out and they did not have an updated build available at the show, but what I've played thus far was not particularly impressive. Need for Speed Rivals looks much more impressive in person, actually, though that demo was running on PC.

The scenery looks phenomenal. All that foliage.

But the outside view is not so good as the car looks a little 'stuck on'. Something is off. Doesn't affect me as I never play with the outside-the-car view anyway, but just struck me as a little jarring compared to how good the rest of the game looks.

Jack cw

I just did and Forza looks fantastic, saying its a generation behind is comical.
60fps makes a huge difference for racing games, I hope DC can hit it.

That is true but seriously this is next gen I expect to have dynamic lighting, dynamic weather and day night cycles, no pop ups and of course 60 fps. Forza is pretty and runs perfect but it doesnt try to step up.

How so?

I'm still interested in seeing how the final game turns out and they did not have an updated build available at the show, but what I've played thus far was not particularly impressive. Need for Speed Rivals looks much more impressive in person, actually, though that demo was running on PC.

What do you mean not an updated build? Is not the same as the E3 one, and NFS Rivals is just flash. Stop the car in both games and you soon realize which one is more impressive.

That is true but seriously this is next gen I expect to have dynamic lighting, dynamic weather and day night cycles, no pop ups and of course 60 fps. Forza is pretty and runs perfect but it doesnt try to step up.

There won't be any weather in DriveClub.

Just day & night options, something we have had in racing games since the PSOne days, it's nice, but not a revolutionary feature.

There won't be any weather in DriveClub.

Just day & night options, something we have had in racing games since the PSOne days, it's nice, but not a revolutionary feature.
We had day night cycles ( not options, there's a huge difference between the two) on PS1?

First game I remember having it was F335 Challenge.

And doing that now is insanely more complicated now then back then.

Also no weather is at launch, they'll keep evolving the game.

Soi-Fong

We had day night cycles ( not options, there's a huge difference between the two) on PS1?

First game I remember having it was F335 Challenge.

And doing that now is insanely more complicated now then back then.

Also no weather is at launch, they'll keep evolving the game.

I'd rather they target 60 fps than weather at this stage.

Dynamic lighting already adds a lot to this game.

Top Bottom