• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

pixlexic

Banned
No, you are misinterpreting the message. You will not see the interior of your car in the rear view. It will only be the road and cars behind you.

Basically, they aren't going to show part of the back seat, etc. Since it is a game, maximizing what you see in the rear view is paramount. So it will only show the road, buildings, cars, etc. Just like nearly every racing game ever.

and its just greater performance lost for little gain.

This game is still going to be a like a uber demo on psn right? I am very interested just not enough to bite yet.

magawolaz

blooddiamond.gif

Need that 1080p

farisr

and its just greater performance lost for little gain.

This game is still going to be a like a uber demo on psn right? I am very interested just not enough to bite yet.

If by uber demo, you mean that you can get the platinum trophy with the free PS+ edition. Then yes.

I think a decent analogy would be this.

DriveClub (regular) = GT5
DriveClub PS+ edition = the middle ground between GT5 Prologue and GT5. Has all the modes of Driveclub available to play, but a reduced track and car count.

farisr

Been away a while, is it true there will be no cars visible in rear-view?

LOL, what would be the point of including it then.

I think you're confused. I believe the actual thing about rear-view was that some of the rear-view mirrors don't reflect the interior of the car you're driving.

Shaneus

If by uber demo, you mean that you can get the platinum trophy with the free PS+ edition. Then yes.

I think a decent analogy would be this.

DriveClub (regular) = GT5
DriveClub PS+ edition = the middle ground between GT5 Prologue and GT5. Has all the modes of Driveclub available to play, but a reduced track and car count.
Better comparison?
DriveClub (regular) = Forza 4
DriveClub PS+ edition = Forza 4 without installing the second disc.

No, you are misinterpreting the message. You will not see the interior of your car in the rear view. It will only be the road and cars behind you.

Basically, they aren't going to show part of the back seat, etc. Since it is a game, maximizing what you see in the rear view is paramount. So it will only show the road, buildings, cars, etc. Just like nearly every racing game ever.
So when it means rendering less stuff to salvage the framerate then the fact that it's a game matters, but when it's about supernova flares then REULISM.

farisr

Better comparison?
DriveClub (regular) = Forza 4
DriveClub PS+ edition = Forza 4 without installing the second disc.

Completely forgot about the way Forza did things. Been a while since I installed 3 (and never got 4 since I didn't deem it worth a purchase due to not enough new tracks being included)

But yeah, that is a better comparison.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
So please, make a new thread for the new footage (if it ever comes out, I mean). This thread is no longer usable for that purpose I guess :(

Racer1977

Anyone know how cars will be balanced? With no tuning upgrades, I presume there'll be classes, with each class having cars with identical PI.......?

I can understand the wish to stay away from tuning, due to the competitive online nature, but I would like to see the ability to upgrade lower classes cars one class higher. I.E a Class 1 hot hatch can be upgraded to Class 2, allowing you to take on M3's etc.

Even if performance tuning is out of the question, I would like to see visual tuning. Nothing outlandish, use the manufactuers official options list, plus a selection of well known wheel brands.

evolution

Anyone know how cars will be balanced? With no tuning upgrades, I presume there'll be classes, with each class having cars with identical PI.......?

I can understand the wish to stay away from tuning, due to the competitive online nature, but I would like to see the ability to upgrade lower classes cars one class higher. I.E a Class 1 hot hatch can be upgraded to Class 2, allowing you to take on M3's etc.

Even if performance tuning is out of the question, I would like to see visual tuning. Nothing outlandish, use the manufactuers official options list, plus a selection of well known wheel brands.
Im thinking just like PGR with different classes of cars. I just hope there not all supercars. I love me some pacific muscle from pgr2

Korezo

Damn I loved looking at the rear in gt5 and looking at the interior, like the the ferraries back engine and the G27 huge tv and ps3 on the back seats of the car. GT5 really is a special game.

beast786

Honestly how long does it take to upload a file?

But, I can also see how being a launch title they much be really crunch on time.

orioto

Good Art™
What if the game is actually not 1080p and they never really dared to tell us, so they are just playing the bluff poker, hoping we'll forget till the release :p

But seriously how can it be this long. Explain me by what logic Sony can be really picky about how they show this game, when they actually released an horrible compressed 720p vid before that...

Or maybe Sony wants to sabotage the game so Gran Turismo is the real star :p

GameSeeker

This is good news! This means the video have been released by Sony PR. BlimBlim should be able to get the originals and create high quality versions for Gamersyde.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
further down.

White and yellow lines on the road don't seem to reflect on the car body. and the compression is horrible. But it does seem to show quite a lot of shimmering, which the facebook version covered up. Eg in the mercedes the dashboard grille has tons of moire, and the poles in the rear view mirror flash on and off.

probably just some post processing/AA final touches so I'm not too worried

Blim just confirmed Gamersyde uncompressed footage tomorrow. :D

Should I make a new thread then?

definitely.

VanWinkle

Okay, so, from those videos, the environments looks fantastic, lighting looks great. BUT, the aliasing/shimmering is straight-up BAD. That needs fixed so badly. I can see exactly why people seemed underwhelmed playing it at the show floor now. There are some amazing qualities, but that image quality with the shimmering is just ROUGH.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Blim just confirmed Gamersyde uncompressed footage tomorrow. :D

Should I make a new thread then?

I'd wait for HQ versions maybe? Anyway, I'm sure you'll update any new thread with links to the HQ one as soon as they are available :)
I didn't get to see the videos yet, but from what rushy said they are quite high bitrate (basically what we use for our own videos, more or less). Unless they did something very wrong during the encoding, these should look great :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'd wait for HQ versions maybe? Anyway, I'm sure you'll update any new thread with links to the HQ one as soon as they are available :)
I didn't get to see the videos yet, but from what rushy said they are quite high bitrate (basically what we use for our own videos, more or less). Unless they did something very wrong during the encoding, these should look great :)

Yeah I'll wait for the HQ vids, unless someone beats me to it. :) Thanks Blim!

GameSeeker

Okay, so, from those videos, the environments looks fantastic, lighting looks great. BUT, the aliasing/shimmering is straight-up BAD. That needs fixed so badly. I can see exactly why people seemed underwhelmed playing it at the show floor now. There are some amazing qualities, but that image quality with the shimmering is just ROUGH.

Yes, this build of Driveclub doesn't seem to have any AA. Don't worry, Evolution will implement an AA solution before they ship the product. AA will likely be added at the end, after frame rate optimization, so they can see what frame budget they have left over for AA.

darkwing

Yes, this build of Driveclub doesn't seem to have any AA. Don't worry, Evolution will implement an AA solution before they ship the product. AA will likely be added at the end, after frame rate optimization, so they can see what frame budget they have left over for AA.

well put

Kane1345

Environments look stunning as expected but the aliasing is rough. I am expecting the IQ in general to be cleared up drastically since it's Evo. Can't wait for uncompressed version, cheers Blim :D

Top Bottom