• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

Looks barely above current gen to me. I'm getting a PS4 and not a XB1, so I'm not biased in that way. I just think it doesn't look very good. I remember the original Drive Club teaser looked fucking amazing from the quick few shots we saw. Everything after that has looked like crap. I guess Killzone might be my only launch game :(

My thoughts exactly. I'm so bummed this team is churning out this game instead of another crazy arcade racer.

Gong

Nice to see Rushy on here (know him well from the old NTSC-uk days), be nice to him GAF, he's one of the proper good guys in the industry :)

Famassu

Lol, this looks so far beyond anything on current gen. The only time something like Gran Turismo can even compete with it is in the night races and that's because the darkness hides so many of the inferior aspects of its graphics. Just comparing the day-time Drive Club vs. day-time GT5 & 6, they're as different as night and day.

Everything after that has looked like crap
SMH.

Crap has never looked this good, then.

Ragnarok

ugh this place is absurd. Week to week it goes from "omg this looks like a bowl of diarrhea! To "whoooa this looks like the future where we'll all have ultra definition eyeballs!" back to "Eww this game looks worse than Hard Drivin' on the Lynx."

It looks objectively good. Shut the hell up with all of the hyperbole.

Afrikan

ugh this place is absurd. Week to week it goes from "omg this looks like a bowl of diarrhea! To "whoooa this looks like the future where we'll all have ultra definition eyeballs!" back to "Eww this game looks worse than Hard Drivin' on the Lynx."

It looks objectively good. Shut the hell up with all of the hyperbole.

there was a Hard Drivin' on Lynx????? O_O

Ragnarok

there was a Hard Drivin' on Lynx????? O_O

s_HardDrivin_4.png

wow very nice way to miss the point
And you have a very nice way to overreact. People have been responding to released footage or giving their impressions from seeing it or playing it in person.

Not seeing whats so crazy about this. If somebody plays it and describes it as a jaggy filled mess, that's their impression. Some people think it looks great, and many others not so much. So no **objective** determination exists right now.

Vire

So some aliasing on a 3 pixel thin telegraph lines is now " a jaggy mess". OK.

I'm not sure if they had different TV's at PAX or what.

But the image quality was so poor that when you were on the hood view, it made it much more difficult to see turns upcoming than it should have been. It's kinda hard to explain but besides the aliasing it had this pixely look, where you could see the individual pixels and made it look like a mess.

I'm hoping it looks better at home on a properly calibrated TV with the final build, but I gotta say I was pretty disappointed.

low-G

You cannot imagine the feeling of spending £30 on it back then.

As a kid I thought it was fucking awesome. Lynx was more powerful than the NES & Game Boy I had, so here was a FULL COLOR, THREE FUCKING D racing game I could take with me ANYWHERE. Today that'd be like... real time 3d VR Avatar Google Glass.

panda-zebra

As a kid I thought it was fucking awesome. Lynx was more powerful than the NES & Game Boy I had, so here was a FULL COLOR, THREE FUCKING D racing game I could take with me ANYWHERE. Today that'd be like... real time 3d VR Avatar Google Glass.

Checkered Flag was where it was at for driving on the Lynx. /lynxderail

Positional4

Neo Member
Hopefully at tgs and eurogamer expo we will see some new footage.Would be nice to see some actual racing against a full grid of cars which I understand is 12.

I've got no problem with the Lynx, for it's time the scaling in games like Blur Thunder was amazing.

Hard Drivin' was painful though, so damn slow. I had a mate that was poor, gaming on a Commodore 16 still back in the 90's. Pretty sure he borrowed the Lynx and I never asked for it back.

Mofo probably still playing that janky bitch now.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So what's the difference between the original trailer and how it looks now, graphically? Lighting? AA? Textures? It looks like they have the assets to make it look much better...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Turning that key in Hard Drivin' was so awesome as a kid in the arcades. I could never really make the car drive but man it was great.

Best arcade racer: Hydro Thunder

Also, San Fransisco Rush made for a much better home game than arcade IMO.

OSHAN

Turning that key in Hard Drivin' was so awesome as a kid in the arcades. I could never really make the car drive but man it was great.

Yeah that shit was the best. Then I couldn't fucking drive. I didn't understand the concept of a clutch back then.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah that shit was the best. Then I couldn't fucking drive. I didn't understand the concept of a clutch back then.

Haha me neither. Then my sister was all "move aside, I got this" and would get pretty far. I don't think we ever made the loop de loop though.

Vire

So what's the difference between the original trailer and how it looks now, graphically? Lighting? AA? Textures? It looks like they have the assets to make it look much better...

It seems like all the trailers they put out are being run in replay mode which obviously have some intense anti-aliasing solutions going on.

The actual game doesn't look like it.

That's what started me on sims, first just pissing about and crashing dundundundadadadabooom! then learning the track properly. Key, clutch, force feedback. It was the shit.

I'd kill for a remake.

Afrikan

when I was a kid, it was my favorite game...and I found a certain way to play it that allowed me to play forever....constantly increasing time.

all you would see on the leaderboards was

Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan

darkwing

don't blame Rushy

it's the incompetent Sony PR

probably thinking TGS is right around the corner, so newer DC videos will make these ones obsolete

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
when I was a kid, it was my favorite game...and I found a certain way to play it that allowed me to play forever....constantly increasing time.

all you would see on the leaderboards was

Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan

Haha awesome. Arcade cabinets with time glitches were great.

Nerix

Apologies guys, we really did push for them to be out today. But when its being dealt with externally it makes it extremely difficult to make promises.

I've been assured though they'll be online first thing next week.
This statement seems pretty straight forward to me... Probably they have changed their minds and want to wait for better footage coming soon (new build?)...

nib95

Banned
Apologies guys, we really did push for them to be out today. But when its being dealt with externally it makes it extremely difficult to make promises.

I've been assured though they'll be online first thing next week.

Only night racing footage can save you now lol.

SiRatul

Stop bumping this thread guys. I'm always full of hope when I see this on the first page only to get sorely disappointed when I actually step in and there is nothing to see.

p3tran

Banned
Stop bumping this thread guys. I'm always full of hope when I see this on the first page only to get sorely disappointed when I actually step in and there is nothing to see.

most probably there will be new threads for the new footage, so you dont really have to get disappointed when this one is up. (better to be up anyways to remind to those sony pr people to get the video up! Rushy and the gang did their part many days ago )

Been away a while, is it true there will be no cars visible in rear-view?

No, you are misinterpreting the message. You will not see the interior of your car in the rear view. It will only be the road and cars behind you.

Basically, they aren't going to show part of the back seat, etc. Since it is a game, maximizing what you see in the rear view is paramount. So it will only show the road, buildings, cars, etc. Just like nearly every racing game ever.

Top Bottom