• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of Cress Williams as Black Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BLACK%20LIGHTNING%20First-Look%20Image_58dc239fd02000.11195132.jpg

Lightning will soon strike the hearts and minds of DC fans as a new small screen hero rises. With production underway in Atlanta on the newest #DCTV pilot for The CW, Warner Bros. Television has released the first image of Cress Williams (Hart of Dixie) as Jefferson Pierce—better known as Black Lightning!

The Black Lightning costume was designed by Laura Jean Shannon, whose film and television credits include the upcoming Jumanji sequel, The Jungle Book, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Blade: Trinity and Iron Man, for which she was nominated for a Costume Designers Guild Award.

The first African-American super hero to have his own standalone comic title, the character of Black Lightning was created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden in 1977. The television adaptation tells the tale of a father drawn reluctantly back into the super hero game.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/03/29/first-look-black-lightning-comes-to-life?sf66691643=1

Kevin

If it's anything like the rest if the CW superhero shows it will be decent for a season or two and by the third season it will suck.

Arrow and Flash went from being great superhero tv to unwatchable by their third seasons and the rstungs died along with the poor writing.

If it's anything like the rest if the CW superhero shows it will be decent for a season or two and by the third season it will suck.

Arrow and Flash went from being great superhero tv to unwatchable by their third seasons and the rstungs died along with the poor writing.

flash has been pretty lacking since even the season 1 finale tbh. but Arrow is arguably the best it's been in season 5.

Sylas

It's super busy to the point of my eyes not being able to really figure out where they wanna go, but I imagine it's gonna look pretty great in motion.

Effect

Outfit looks cool. Need to see it in motion.

Arrow arguably is about to past season 2 if it can keep up what it's doing and stick the landing with its season finale.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll give the show a chance but that's not a great costume. I can never figure out why anyone thinks the whole tights with fake circuitry pattern looks good, especially in HD where it looks really ugly.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Not going to get too worked up until I see it on film. These first looks are always Photoshopped to hell and back.

I will say it's a little over designed. Like the blue color on the body suit underneath is enough, you don't need circuit boards. Or the yellow accents on the white section of the chest. The white is already breaking things up and forming his signature look. The yellow seems unnecessary.

Dali

Old head that's not particularly attractive on a channel devoted to shows starring young perfect people. Do they just want this to fail? Does the character have to be Old? If so are there not any black dc heroes that would be more in line with the cw format?

Effect

Old head that's not particularly attractive on a channel devoted to shows starring young perfect people. Do they just want this to fail? Does the character have to be Old? If so are there not any black dc heroes that would be more in line with the cw format?

The character's daughters (Thunder and Lightning....I know) are in the show as well and apart of the main cast. The CW DC shows work as well as they do because it's a mix of older and younger characters. A lot of the time the older characters are the best parts of the shows and have they have strong fan bases as well.

Why do we need more CW superhero shows? It's already so hard keep up with everything they have now.

Most, if not all of the shows have been pretty big successes for CW so why not try another one out?

The CW is basically the DC TV channel at this point.

That said, I think Berlanti is also trying to pin some extra feathers in his hat as the trailblazer of superhero television in the modern era. Straight up superhero show, no prequel nonsense or avoiding the iconic names? Flash ran onto our screen three years ago now. Female led superhero show? Look up in the sky, it's Supergirl! But could we like, get a team series together? Legends of Tomorrow will... sort of do. Now he's going for a superhero series with a black lead, and not an animated example like Vixen.

Hope it works. Costume's not great, but the premise kinda interests me. Rather than a younger hero, they're trying to make this guy already a veteran.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Why do we need more CW superhero shows? It's already so hard keep up with everything they have now.
They're my gf and mine's wind-down dinner viewing. We'll watch other stuff but the DC CW stuff is usually what we watch once she's gotten home and needs something to get out of work mode.

jdstorm

Banned
CW superhero shows should just go full Power Rangers at this point and create a new Hero every year with a new origin story.

Making so many different shows has really hurt their overall quality.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Well, he has to be older than your average CW lead since he has two daughters. They went with his daughters being typical CW teen age, so I think that's where the hook is. And they have powers too, or at least they usually do in the comics. I'm sure the show will explore that. I think going with a slightly older lead is a smart way to differentiate this show.

They got Mr. Terrific over on Arrow. But their version of Mr. T isn't strong enough to carry a show. They got Martian Manhunter over on Supergirl, but he's too important to that show and I imagine the amount of CG they would need to do on a regular basis makes it cost prohibitive.

Kard8p3

As long as it's good I'll watch.

edit: I think the costume would look better without the circuity(is that what it is?) print around his shoulders

Dali

The character's daughters (Thunder and Lightning....I know) are in the show as well and apart of the main cast. The CW DC shows work as well as they do because it's a mix of older and younger characters. A lot of the time the older characters are the best parts of the shows and have they have strong fan bases as well.

Well, he has to be older than your average CW lead since he has two daughters. They went with his daughters being typical CW teen age, so I think that's where the hook is. And they have powers too, or at least they usually do in the comics. I'm sure the show will explore that. I think going with a slightly older lead is a smart way to differentiate this show.

They got Mr. Terrific over on Arrow. But their version of Mr. T isn't strong enough to carry a show. They got Martian Manhunter over on Supergirl, but he's too important to that show and I imagine the amount of CG they would need to do on a regular basis makes it cost prohibitive.

Have they casted his Daughters?
Ok ok... I'm willing to re-assess my opinion of this show.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/black-l...liams-china-anne-mcclain-cw-pilot-1202034638/

The old head to hot daughter camera time is key to its success though.

Lookin' pretty goofy with those goggles. The rest of the outfit is standard CW superhero fare, but the goggles just doesn't bring the outfit together.

TheFlow

Banned
His costume is always the best when more simple. With the yellow or blue goggles.

Looks like he is wearing a biology lab mask

Cannot unseen Black Bolt's outfit.

This was the problem I had. It looks like Black Bolt outfit and it looks vaguely like he's opening the chest area.

Think of Black Lightning as the Flash, if Joe was the main character and had powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom