• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of Cress Williams as Black Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That name and costume makes me think of some made up superhero in a non-superhero movie.

Kevinroc

Is this show supposed to take place on the same Earth as any of the other shows? Or is BL getting his own Earth to play around in before he starts crossing over?

Is this show supposed to take place on the same Earth as any of the other shows? Or is BL getting his own Earth to play around in before he starts crossing over?

They haven't said, but given the premise, I think he has to be on his own Earth.

He was a hero back in the day and stopped. Now he's a school principal and has to put back on the suit for reasons.

"Based on the DC character, ”Black Lightning" is about Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he'll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend, Black Lightning.

Kard8p3

They haven't said, but given the premise, I think he has to be on his own Earth.

He was a hero back in the day and stopped. Now he's a school principal and has to put back on the suit for reasons.

Would he, though? the Justice Society of America was a thing in the past that we've seen due to Legends, so it's not like super heroes are new to the Arrowverse earth.

Plus, the whole 'DC Multiverse' angle probably has greater lasting power if it's more than just 'Supergirl + Everyone else'

Da-Kid

Well............... it was never explicitly said that on earth one it's impossible for someone to gain powers due to freak accidents outside the particle accelerator. Him being an older hero, he could have been more a myth back then.

But if he is on a different Earth, it would make sense if he was on the same earth as Jay Garrick.... but isn't Jay's earth still in the 90s?

Kard8p3

Plus, the whole 'DC Multiverse' angle probably has greater lasting power if it's more than just 'Supergirl + Everyone else'

Well to be fair we have

Earth 1
Earth 2
Earth 3
Earth 19
Supergirl's Earth.

I think it would just make crossing over easier if he was on the Arrowverse Earth. I'm sure the only reason it's seen as "Supergirl+Everyone else" is because Supergirl originally started on another channel. She would've undoubtedly been a part of Arrowverse had she started on CW.

Parshias7

When do we find out that Oliver met him on the island?

We're going to be done with island-era flashbacks this season, so we'll have to go deeper...

Ollie: Diggle, remember when I used lightning to defeat Damien Dahrk?
Diggle: Um, no?
Ollie: Well let me tell you about my friend Black Lightning.

Well to be fair we have

Earth 1
Earth 2
Earth 3
Earth 19
Supergirl's Earth.

I think it would just make crossing over easier if he was on the Arrowverse Earth. I'm sure the only reason it's seen as "Supergirl+Everyone else" is because Supergirl originally started on another channel

Oh aye, but it's also the angle they've stuck with. That said, the point about how the Arrowverse Earth has been clearly retconned to have superheroes and metahumans well prior to Barry Allen coming along is a fair one.

Looks pretty terrible, but then again I don't know the original design.

They were probably aiming for something like this:
BLACK%20LIGHTNING%20First-Look%20Image_58dc239fd02000.11195132.jpg

black-lightning_final.jpg

Effect

We're going to be done with island-era flashbacks this season, so we'll have to go deeper...

Ollie: Diggle, remember when I used lightning to defeat Damien Dahrk?
Diggle: Um, no?
Ollie: Well let me tell you about my friend Black Lightning.

I really want them at some point to end an episode like that. They don't even need to follow it up.

Kard8p3

I still think if they simply got rid of the technology/circuitry print on the cloth the suit would look way better, a nice dark blue.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doesn't matter that he's old. His daughters are young and hot and they'll date young hot guys, one of whom will inevitably want to become a superhero too.

It'll be a nice, different perspective from the others on there.

Think of Black Lightning as the Flash, if Joe was the main character and had powers.

Kind of the best synopsis ever for a show.

That said, I think Berlanti is also trying to pin some extra feathers in his hat as the trailblazer of superhero television in the modern era. Straight up superhero show, no prequel nonsense or avoiding the iconic names? Flash ran onto our screen three years ago now. Female led superhero show? Look up in the sky, it's Supergirl! But could we like, get a team series together? Legends of Tomorrow will... sort of do. Now he's going for a superhero series with a black lead, and not an animated example like Vixen.

The Ray is him taking on a gay superhero too. Also lol at trying to throw shade at Legends when it's doing a much better job being a team show than Supergirl the female led show starring Chris Wood as Mon-El.

Kard8p3

Doesn't matter that he's old. His daughters are young and hot and they'll date young hot guys, one of whom will inevitably want to become a superhero too.

Plus this could serve as a legit older superhero schooling Oliver and Barry. Think of it like Oliver training his newbies, but better.

ZeroX03

Banned
This is not Arrowverse right?

It's 100% part of the Arrowverse multiverse. No way it wouldn't it be.

Plus this could serve as a legit older superhero schooling Oliver and Barry. Think of it like Oliver training his newbies, but better.

It's been working this year! When basically any character in these shows goes dad mode or mentor mode it's good, so the two together!?

Guys come on, if they perfected the suit right out of the gate it would have left no room for Cisco to make modifications/improvements.

TheFlow

Banned
Guys come on, if they perfected the suit right out of the gate it would have left no room for Cisco to make modifications/improvements.

I think a lot of costumes are improved over the course of a series or movie franchise.

Aka remember captain americas or green arrows first costume. Green arrows costume was so good the new comic just used that design

I think a lot of costumes are improved over the course of a series or movie franchise.

Aka remember captain americas or green arrows first costume. Green arrows costume was so good the new comic just used that design

They are, I just like that there's an in-universe reason for why Black Driver's helmet has improved in looks.

Slayven

The Ray is him taking on a gay superhero too. Also lol at trying to throw shade at Legends when it's doing a much better job being a team show than Supergirl the female led show starring Chris Wood as Mon-El.

Ummm

tumblr_inline_mg0x3y9dL21qbujox.jpg

thunderandgrace24.jpg

Unless they change things, Thunder is gay

ZeroX03

Banned
Ummm

tumblr_inline_mg0x3y9dL21qbujox.jpg

thunderandgrace24.jpg

Unless they change things, Thunder is gay

And Jughead was asexual until he started dating a hot girl

I'm not sure if they'll change sexuality, I'd say probably not, but there's no way they aren't getting multiple hot guy love interests in there

ZeoVGM

Banned
If it's anything like the rest if the CW superhero shows it will be decent for a season or two and by the third season it will suck.

Arrow and Flash went from being great superhero tv to unwatchable by their third seasons and the rstungs died along with the poor writing.

Haha, the ratings are fine. It's The CW. Different expectations.

(Isn't Arrow S5 supposed to be great, if not the best season?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom