• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you gain 40 pounds in 3 months (unless you acquired tons of fat). What the fuck, how are those numbers possible.

Probably genetics. Come from a family of brawny men. And I am still lean as fuck so most of it is not fat. I could post a current picture if you want but I am not posting my before yet.

X-Frame

That's pretty silly. None of the ebooks I've ever bought had that BS. You should complain.

I did, but already put in for a refund. I don't want any DRM shit like that on my computer.

Then the CS e-mailed me back saying they could've provided an iPad version if I requested it. So apparently I'm supposed to know to request alternate versions for all my different devices even though there was no warning or instructions at all.

Very shitty service.

So I just e-mailed John Romaniello and asked if his similar Intermittent Fasting product was DRM protected and he promptly replied it wasn't. I think I may pick it up.

cdyhybrid

Any Hispanics in here? A few weeks ago I discovered the joy that is coconut flour tortillas. 3 grams of carbs in an 8 inch tortilla, 5 grams of protein and 50 calories each.

Add in some grilled carne Asada or chicken fajita with either crumbled queso duro (no carbs) or Kraft queso quesadilla (2 carbs per 1/4 cup, 90 calories) with some tapatio or Valentina salsa. Healthy and it makes me one happy half Mexican!

I ate 3 tacos tonight with half a cup of the Kraft cheeese and a pound (weight uncooked) of fajita. 760 calories, 89 grams of protein and friggin delicious!

If anyone is interested I'll post the recipe for the tortillas. They're ridiculously easy.

There's also a store alternative from La Tortilla Factory. But they are whole wheat tortillas but have the same calories and macro breakdown. They're good in a bind but the coconut flour ones are better.

I am so hungry.

I just got over this and back into the gym today.

The Doctor gave me an anti inflammatory (Ibuprofin, you can take some Alieve), a painkiller (Vicodin, but I didn't take it), and a muscle relaxer (Robaxin, I only took it sparingly at night). I took a couple of days, a weekend, and just laid down all day, with ice on it 20 minutes on, half an hour off. I laid on the floor face down. I also slept this way.

I also stretched. The ones that helped the most were hip flexor stretch. there is also one where you lay on your back. Put one knee up with the bottom of your foot flat on the ground. Put the other foot on that knee. Then pull them both towards your chest.. Don't overdo it thhough.

Did a light day at the gym today after getting over that. Feelsgoodman to get back in there. Though I'm sure I'm gonna have muscle soreness from the Squats.

Any of you motherfuckers have a rehab protocol for a sore sciatica? Mine's been killing me for like a week. It was bugging me a bit two weeks ago but I decided to work through the pain. It only really hurts for the first few reps of a squat, row or any set that involves leaning over.

It's not like the soreness/pain I used to get in my lower back when I first started lifting. It only kind of pinches when I bend into certain angles. It's actually not that bad, but I'd prefer it not hurt at all over only hurting a little or in certain positions.

My gym has foam rollers and I was messing around with them but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Mr.City

At the end of the summer I will post the most dramatic body transformation you guys have ever seen.

So far in 3 months.
120lbs -> 160lbs
45lb squat -> 225lb
95 lb deadlift -> 220lb

What happened to your deadlift? It started 50 lbs heavier than your squat, but then ended up 5 lbs lighter.

CrankyJay

Banned
Starting to notice my lift sessions suffering from not eating before workouts. The last month things have gone fine but I have noticed my energy has plummeted as my weight has dropped. Guess I'll start eating something beforehand from now on.

Also, it seems my overall calorie intake is too low, even for my cutting goal. Anyone else having issues eating ENOUGH?

SeanR1221

Ready to start officially cutting today. I've gained 10 pounds since being on SL.

I'm 5'8, 183

df24c50b.jpg

Carbonox

Best value for money Whey? Basically what is the best but well-priced and jam-packed? Currently on 2.2kg tubs for around 35 quid but any better would be great.

I'm interested in this!
Give it a try! You can also quesadillas with all that stuff and it turns out great as well. Burritos too. Burritos are great because you can pack it with veggies and get your fiber and veggies in too.

Also, like I said if you can't find coconut flour or are wanting it with less hassle then you can pick up some low carb tortillas from La Tortilla Factory. They make small ones, 8 inch ones and burrito sized ones. They're all pretty good (but a bit pricey, 4 bucks for 10 of the 8 inch tortillas).

X-Frame

Best value for money Whey? Basically what is the best but well-priced and jam-packed? Currently on 2.2kg tubs for around 35 quid but any better would be great.

For me, it is Recession Whey half WPC half WPI from TrueNutrition but I am in NY and this company ships from California. It is unflavored, unsweetened and shipped in bags but 25 pounds for less than $200 shipped is a good deal to me. Also, just 3 ingredients including the WPI and WPC so very "natural".

For you in the UK, I'm sure that site would charge an arm and a leg for shipping so it wouldn't be worth it.

Where's that from? Looks like subway? Looks nice

Homemade. The chicken in the salad is just something that I bought in which it is precooked and you just need to warmup. I made the rest.

And man, on Sunday, ate a fair amount of food lol. I know I'm not suppose to carb up like this but I wanted to anyway. Pancakes, potatoes, biscuits, etc. Just really good haha. Back to the grind now. In other diet news, the past week I decided to cut out all wheat products. Pretty easy so far. Been destroying the corn tortillas though.

What happened to your deadlift? It started 50 lbs heavier than your squat, but then ended up 5 lbs lighter.

Honestly I don't know. I hit 200 in the beginning of April but couldn't get any more so I deloaded to progress linearly again. For my squats I actually jumped up 20lbs more than I should have so I can't linearly progress from that so I am deloading with that too.

what about bench?

only 120lbs. Kind of struggling with this compared to the rest. I just don't look forward to doing this lift even a little.

Petrie

Banned
For me, it is Recession Whey half WPC half WPI from TrueNutrition but I am in NY and this company ships from California. It is unflavored, unsweetened and shipped in bags but 25 pounds for less than $200 shipped is a good deal to me. Also, just 3 ingredients including the WPI and WPC so very "natural".

For you in the UK, I'm sure that site would charge an arm and a leg for shipping so it wouldn't be worth it.

This is pretty cheap albeit a big up-front cost. No problems ordering from them in NY?

X-Frame

This is pretty cheap albeit a big up-front cost. No problems ordering from them in NY?

I've been doing it for 5 years.

This is the first time I am getting that Recession Whey though but the previous whey I ordered is no different shipping wise. I usually get 16 pounds minimum for the bulk discount and that lasts me a couple months. I have a 5 lb tub I use to scoop the powder from the bags so it's all good.

25 pounds should last several months.

bro1

Banned
stupid question.

What exercise is this? Start with a barbell in the high squat position, squat down, and then go into an over head press. The bar starts behind you head, so it's not and a clean and press.

We were fooling around with my weights this weekend during a BBQ, and I managed to do 205 doing this. Not bad for a 36 year old man.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
stupid question.

What exercise is this? Start with a barbell in the high squat position, squat down, and then go into an over head press. The bar starts behind you head, so it's not and a clean and press.

We were fooling around with my weights this weekend during a BBQ, and I managed to do 205 doing this. Not bad for a 36 year old man.

A bad one.

Srsly

Banned
stupid question.

Good luck not destroying your shoulders doing that

CrankyJay

Banned
Does whey powder go bad? I still have a bag of EAS Chocolate Whey I'm guessing from last year and I've been using it for the past month. It smells and tastes fine, but does the protein degrade at all?

Should I just finish this bag or toss it and start fresh?

grumble

stupid question.

That is extremely dangerous. You'll destroy your shoulders.

kehs

Banned
because it's behind the neck? It's not that much different than a clean and press.

All that weight shifting from back to front is not safe for anything.

Clean and press has all the weight in the front.

You're creeping to bro-crossfit territory.

MjFrancis

5/3/1 and Athletes [print version]
by Jim Wendler

Good read about application of the 5/3/1 for coaches; and since we probably don't have any coaches on GAF, it's another reminder of how versatile a simple program like 5/3/1 can be. I know we have people who practice BJJ or play soccer, so utilizing a no-fluff strength program twice a week can be beneficial.

Day One
Squat – 5/3/1
Bench press – 5/3/1
Assistance work

Day Two
Deadlift – 5/3/1
Press – 5/3/1
Assistance work

That's all there is to it, really, though he does mention that speed work comes before strength work and conditioning after that. The frequency is maintained at twice a week to allow more practice for whatever sport you're playing. If I ever have to go down to twice a week training I'd take advantage of this setup or one very similar.

Petrie

Banned
I've been doing it for 5 years.

This is the first time I am getting that Recession Whey though but the previous whey I ordered is no different shipping wise. I usually get 16 pounds minimum for the bulk discount and that lasts me a couple months. I have a 5 lb tub I use to scoop the powder from the bags so it's all good.

25 pounds should last several months.

A quick google search shows me I can use coupon code TYS124 and get 50lbs shipped for *edit* $331 shipped. That's less than *edit* $8 a lb shipped if I'm not mistaken. I'm sold.

wat. Are you saying you gained 40lbs of lean muscle in 3 months?

Not at all. It is fat and water and muscle.

Some of it is probably water weight. Still he's increased his lifts by over 150 lbs a piece. The difference between the deadlift and the squat raises some questions though.

What questions does it raise? I go below parallel on squats
Also forgot to mention that got a little lower back pain and didn't push as hard on deadlifts as squats.

Petrie

Banned
What questions does it raise? I go below parallel on squats
Also forgot to mention that got a little lower back pain and didn't push as hard on deadlifts as squats.

Well this doesn't make any sense either, as that pain is going to be affected by both of those lifts.

You're doing something wrong here.

Van Owen

Banned
Excited to get back to the gym after a bad cold kept me out for a week. I hate how I feel like a pos after not working out for that long of a time lol

Well this doesn't make any sense either, as that pain is going to be affected by both of those lifts.

You're doing something wrong here.

Wasn't pain necessarily, more of a discomfort. And I always do squats before deadlifts so I can tolerate it for the squats before it sets in. Want me to upload videos for form checks?

Petrie

Banned
Wasn't pain necessarily, more of a discomfort. And I always do squats before deadlifts so I can tolerate it for the squats before it sets in. Want me to upload videos for form checks?

You shouldn't be doing the squats if you're having to "tolerate" lower back pain/discomfort during them. You're going to end up hurting yourself in the long-run.

You shouldn't be doing the squats if you're having to "tolerate" lower back pain/discomfort during them. You're going to end up hurting yourself in the long-run.

Let me describe the discomfort. I feel nothing until I finish a set at the gym and put the weight back. Kind of like a discomfort from having the load taken off.

X-Frame

A quick google search shows me I can use coupon code TYS124 and get 50lbs shipped for *edit* $331 shipped. That's less than *edit* $8 a lb shipped if I'm not mistaken. I'm sold.

Yeah, I use the code BRP224, but that should work too.

And yes, this is the cheapest protein that I've found with the minimal amount of ingredients. Since it's unflavored I can easily add some Stevia that I have and then flavor it however I like.

Cocoa powder, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, there's a lot of different ways to do it.

Ive overtrained and feel kinda shit. Ive got a pain in my elbow and im getting this wierd sensation in my left leg above my knee thats been there for a couple of weeks now. Definetly not going to do anything leg related for at least a week.

I got like 4 hours sleep but I did yoga for the first time today and really enjoyed it. It was very hard. I foolishly attempted a leg workout right after.

Must learn from this.

Edit: Something I just realised about over training. I thought I could workout 6 times a week as long the body parts weren't conflicting too much.... but its not like that. Even if the body parts aren't conflicting, your body as a whole just needs rest. Just realised that.

entremet

What's the easiest way to substitute a Meal Replacement shake for Whey shake in terms of macros? Is it just using milk with whey, since milk has a good amount of carbs?

Whey is way cheaper than myoplex.

Been thinking and this sounds like a good routine:

Monday: Yoga
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Shoulders
Thursday: rest
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: Back
Sunday: Chest

Not 100% if I should do Yoga once or twice a week.

entremet

Should be fine at 2x a week. Your body will adapt. If gaining mass is priority be sure to eat more.

balddemon

Banned

didn't you just say you got overtrained from working out 6 days a week?

you could try doing something similar to me:

monday: chest/tris/abs
tuesday: shoulders/legs
wednesday: cardio
thursday: back/bi
friday: chest/tris/abs
saturday: cardio
sunday: rest

then rotate the exercises, so monday is shoulders/legs, tuesday is back/bi, etc. and abs twice a week mon/fri. cardio is HIIT , and you can skip a day if you want, i skip wednesdays usually cuz i play basketball tuesday and wednesday nights which i'm counting for my cardio lol.

and if you really want to do yoga, i'd do it on a cardio day once a week, and then after a while do it on sunday as well. in the mornings.

didn't you just say you got overtrained from working out 6 days a week?

you could try doing something similar to me:

monday: chest/tris/abs
tuesday: shoulders/legs
wednesday: cardio
thursday: back/bi
friday: chest/tris/abs
saturday: cardio
sunday: rest

then rotate the exercises, so monday is shoulders/legs, tuesday is back/bi, etc. and abs twice a week mon/fri. cardio is HIIT , and you can skip a day if you want, i skip wednesdays usually cuz i play basketball tuesday and wednesday nights which i'm counting for my cardio lol.

I dont want to do any cardio. Im an ectomorph. Need all the calories at the end of the day that I can get. Im very lean and I have like 4000 calories a day. Im gaining weight though.

I dont want to do biceps and triceps. I dont see any point. I believe they just get bigger by themself when you are progressing in back(biceps) and shoulders and chest(triceps).

There's a pure abs group session at my gym I might try and slip into my routine. I tried it once and it was great.

Edit: Also, would yoga be considered as intense as doing weights? i dont think so.

Mully

So when I get back from my trip in about two weeks, I'm going to have a lot more downtime than usual. I think I'm going to ask my best friend to loan me his Insanity DVDs.

Is it possible to do Insanity in the morning, followed by a three day on, one day off routine in the afternoon?

Prez

Does anyone else have trouble doing push-ups? I've always tried doing push-ups but while I do them I feel a constant pressure in my shoulder joint and my shoulder pops each time I push myself up. It's extremely unpleasant. I watched plenty of videos on how to do push-ups and I'm definately doing it right.

Does this mean that push-ups could be harmful to my joints or do I have nothing to worry about?

demigod

Can anyone recommend me a nitric oxide that keeps you PUMPED for a long time? Been taking SuperNOS but the pump fades away like 30mins after my workout. Is naNO VAPOR any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom