• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddemon

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a nitric oxide that keeps you PUMPED for a long time? Been taking SuperNOS but the pump fades away like 30mins after my workout. Is naNO VAPOR any good?

try the green stuff. my friend uses it, said it works

here's a picture of him, he's on the right
XJI7h.jpg

stupid question.

What exercise is this? Start with a barbell in the high squat position, squat down, and then go into an over head press. The bar starts behind you head, so it's not and a clean and press.

We were fooling around with my weights this weekend during a BBQ, and I managed to do 205 doing this. Not bad for a 36 year old man.

It's called a sots press and seems to be most commonly employed by olympic weightlifters (the inventor Victor Sots was a world champion):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-RzjuBY1KM

If you could legitimately do that with 205, then that is very impressive.

Prez

I'm going to start working out, so I need a good diet. My diet is actually pretty good to start with. Every day I drink 2-3 liters of low-fat milk and of course plenty of water. Also about 1 liter of Ice Tea Green, but Ice Tea Green is not as bad as regular Ice Tea really. I also have a bowl of soup every day and and a handful of mixed nuts (not salted and not roasted of course).

I don't eat much unhealthy food (I hate sweet foods) and lately I have cut back on fries and red meat, so I don't think I have to cut back on anything. Is there anything I should add though?

Having the hardest time talking myself OUT of hitting the gym. My body is demanding a break, and I'm obliging, but fuck do I feel like I'm missing out.

My energy has been gone the past couple of weeks. Even with the increase in cals, less cardio, and more carbs, Plenty of sleep too. I've also got annoying cramps in a few muscles. Yep, off for a few days. Crazy how the body gets.

Petrie

Banned
I'm going to start working out, so I need a good diet. My diet is actually pretty good to start with. Every day I drink 2-3 liters of low-fat milk and of course plenty of water. Also about 1 liter of Ice Tea Green, but Ice Tea Green is not as bad as regular Ice Tea really. I also have a bowl of soup every day and and a handful of mixed nuts (not salted and not roasted of course).

I don't eat much unhealthy food (I hate sweet foods) and lately I have cut back on fries and red meat, so I don't think I have to cut back on anything. Is there anything I should add though?
Nothing about that diet sounds particularly great, especially if that is sweetened green tea.

We need much more than this. That diet doesn't actually sound good at all. Especially not if you plan on being active.

What are your goals?
What are your current stats?

SeanR1221

First day of cutting. Used a lot of left overs from my BBQ weekend.

Breakfast 237 calories
- two eggs, 1 egg white, 2 pieces of bacon

Lunch 669 calories
- 2 burger patties, lettuce, slice of tomato, cup of strawberries

Dinner 607 calories
- 12 oz of pork loin, 1.5 cups green beans mixed with olive oil

Snack 140
- scoop of whey

Total- 1653 calories, 23 carbs, 175 protein

MjFrancis

Emphasis on the preferably here. If it's one of the few times you can get your conditioning in, do it. Don't use it as an excuse to skip.
Excuses don't keep you N.O.V. that's for damn sure, lol.

Conditioning can be so easily overlooked. As can mobility and stretching. It must be because the strength-building is just so damn fun.

Prez

Nothing about that diet sounds particularly great, especially if that is sweetened green tea.

It's not that bad really. It has half the amount of sugar that Lipton Ice Tea has which has less sugar than coke. No added artificial sweetener either. It's the only soda I like because everything else is way too sweet and health drinks are way too expensive to drink daily.

We need much more than this. That diet doesn't actually sound good at all. Especially not if you plan on being active.

What are your goals?
What are your current stats?

I didn't mention the foods I don't eat every day, so of course you're missing information. I can add that I stay away from unhealthy foods as much as possible. I dislike the taste of many fast foods and sweet foods, so it's not that hard for me to avoid them. Red meat once a week, chicken twice a week, fish once a week.

I'm 6'0" 160lbs / 182cm 73kg
I have never worked out in my life, but I do walk more than the average person (4miles/6km a day).

My goal is to feel more energetic and gain some mass on my upper body. I can't put a figure on it, I just want more energy and I want to look fitter.

BumRush

Anyone try single-arm chest flys? I worked them into my workout tonight and it was the best chest workout I've had in months. Your core stays engaged the entire time and maintaining proper form puts extra emphasis on your pecs...

DR2K

Banned
Having the hardest time talking myself OUT of hitting the gym. My body is demanding a break, and I'm obliging, but fuck do I feel like I'm missing out.

My energy has been gone the past couple of weeks. Even with the increase in cals, less cardio, and more carbs, Plenty of sleep too. I've also got annoying cramps in a few muscles. Yep, off for a few days. Crazy how the body gets.

Take the week off because it's part of the muscle building process. I was feeling the same exact way before my recovery week. Just came back to the gym after 9 days off and my work out was amazing.

It's not that bad really. It has half the amount of sugar that Lipton Ice Tea has which has less sugar than coke. No added artificial sweetener either. It's the only soda I like because everything else is way too sweet and health drinks are way too expensive to drink daily.

I didn't mention the foods I don't eat every day, so of course you're missing information. I can add that I stay away from unhealthy foods as much as possible. I dislike the taste of many fast foods and sweet foods, so it's not that hard for me to avoid them. Red meat once a week, chicken twice a week, fish once a week.

I'm 6'0" 160lbs / 182cm 73kg
I have never worked out in my life, but I do walk more than the average person (4miles/6km a day).

My goal is to feel more energetic and gain some mass on my upper body. I can't put a figure on it, I just want more energy and I want to look fitter.
well, I would suggest beginning a program like the one in the OP. An energy change can often come just from a good diet. Cut out the sugars, certain carbs (like French fries) and if you want to build mass eat lots of protein. There is nothing wrong with red meat btw.

First things first, find out your BMR. If you google a bmr calculator you should find one easily. This is how many calories you need daily if you are a blob just to stay the same weight. Multiply it by 1.2 if you are sedentary outside of normal everyday activity. Multiply it by 1.5 if you are moderately active.

Then count your calories. Every single thing that you eat counts. Add it up every day and try to hit your maintenance calories (your bmr * 1.2 or 1.5). Since you are new to lifting you should be able to add decent size and strength at maintenance.

Try to get 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. These are some basics to start with. Read the OP for more info or ask here.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Can anyone recommend me a nitric oxide that keeps you PUMPED for a long time? Been taking SuperNOS but the pump fades away like 30mins after my workout. Is naNO VAPOR any good?

I've heard nothing but good things about L-Arginine for that.

Plus it'll give you raging hard-ons.

There's always that.

Need advice, fellers.

Got a new job (retail, standing around), so my problem isn't really fitting in workouts, but more to figure out what I want my caloric intake to be.

I'm trying to cut for the summer, so muscle growth + fat loss. I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs, and I've been eating about 2k consistently since the start of the month (give or take a few; I go off MyFitnessPal's calculated suggestions).

Since I'm going to be burning more calories by being on my feet most of the days, I'm just wondering if 2200-2500 sounds good for a cut deficit. In fact, I worry that I undereat. I try to do half an hour of intense cardio every morning right after I wake up, and then weight train in the afternoon or evening (work out 6 days a week).

My daily spread is about 215g protein/110g carbohydrates/70g fat.

So I've been bulking for about 4 months now and going to start cutting in 2 weeks. Anyone have any good tips for a smooth transition? I've been told that I should gradually decrease my calories rather than having a huge drop on the start of the actual cut.

despire

@MjFrancis

Hows your routine if you don't mind me asking? I know you do some bw stuff but do you also lift weights? I've seen you post stuff regarding 5/3/1 so I guess it's that?

Just curious since I've been long time interested to add some calithenics to my routine add some point. Probably when I'm lower on bf%.

Ashhong

I was at the gym today and this girl I know from HS saw me and said that I don't look like I'm gaining any muscle. Everyone else I see says that I look good and fit lately. I said that she doesn't look like she's losing any weight and left.

What a bitch.

cdyhybrid

I was at the gym today and this girl I know from HS saw me and said that I don't look like I'm gaining any muscle. Everyone else I see says that I look good and fit lately. I said that she doesn't look like she's losing any weight and left.

What a bitch.

Maybe she was just negging you brah

Ashhong

Nah shes not like that. I can take a joke if it is one, and I said my piece back in a jokingly way so as not to insult her too much.

What a bitch.

So she was supposed to lie and tell you good job?
Are you gaining muscle?
Remember that working out isn't for other people, it's for you.

Ashhong

So she was supposed to lie and tell you good job?
Are you gaining muscle?
Remember that working out isn't for other people, it's for you.

Did you miss the part where I said others compliment me? I am and I feel good about it. I wasn't really offended by what she said, more so the fact that she did. I didn't ask her, why would you say that to someone who is at the gym and working hard?

"hey girl, I see you running there but you're not losing any weight"

Pachimari

I finally started strength training with my personal trainer at the gym last week. I'm a 23 year old thin guy who's looking to add strength and become bigger in all areas.

I'll work out 1 hour a time, 2 times a week, drinking a protein shake before and after training, while eating stuff like chicken, egg and generally lots of meat.

This is the program I got handed.

DAY 1:
- Bench Press BB (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Incline Bench Press BB (3 sets, 8-12 repetitions)
- Cross Over Cable (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Military Press BB (3 sets, 8-12 repetitions)
- Lateral Raises (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Dips (Bench) (3 sets, 8-12 repetitions)
- Triceps Push Down (3 sets, 8-12 repetitions)
- Reverse Crunch (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)

DAY 2:
- Squat BB (4 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Seated Leg Curl (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Seated Calf Raises (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Low Row (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions) (my back couldn't handle Bend Over Row)
- Lat Pull Down (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Ball Hyperextension (3 sets, 8-15 repetitions)
- Biceps Curl BB (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Biceps Curl Reverse (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)
- Abs Crunch (3 sets, 8-10 repetitions)

*I'm not sure those are the real names as I used Google Translate to translate those from Danish.

This looks correct right? He says it'll take around half a year before I can see results. Could one make it quicker? I know an important part of the strength training is to be patient. I talked about 3 days a week but we should keep it at 2 so that I wouldn't get tired/bored of training.

Carbonox

I finally started strength training with my personal trainer at the gym last week. I'm a 23 year old thin guy who's looking to add strength and become bigger in all areas.

I'll work out 1 hour a time, 2 times a week, drinking a protein shake before and after training, while eating stuff like chicken, egg and generally lots of meat.

DAY 1:

DAY 2:

*I'm not sure those are the real names as I used Google Translate to translate those from Danish.

This looks correct right? He says it'll take around half a year before I can see results. Could one make it quicker? I know an important part of the strength training is to be patient. I talked about 3 days a week but we should keep it at 2 so that I wouldn't get tired/bored of training.

wat

demigod

I've heard nothing but good things about L-Arginine for that.

Plus it'll give you raging hard-ons.

There's always that.

Uhh, trying to figure out which one is the best for pump wise.

What a bitch.

Yep, what a bitch. Was she bigger than you at least?

Btw Anastacio, I don't think 2 or even 3 times a week is enough. I'd say 4 times a week if you're wanting to add strength and size.

Pachimari

A year or two ago I were supposed to train 3 hours, 3 days a week but as my body isn't used to working out, he recommends we start out at 1 hour, 2 times a week, also so I won't get demotivated by it.

I will ask him when we'll make it 3 days but I just started out last week.

I also ordered Creatine Monohydrate and Protein Powder, just for a shake before and after training.

Btw Anastacio, I don't think 2 or even 3 times a week is enough. I'd say 4 times a week if you're wanting to add strength and size.
But isn't there a chance I'll get injuries then, seing that I'm both really thin, is weak and that my body isn't used to it? Shouldn't I start out slow with 2 times a week and then add those other days further into the program?

EDIT:
I just asked my personal trainer, and he says it's okay I do 3 days a week. So I'll do 3 days now, awesome! I guess I'll go to the gym Tuesday, Friday and Sunday, sometimes changing it up a bit.

Carbonox

Honestly, even as a beginner such as yourself, I'd recommend checking out the programs in the OP. I think things like starting strength and the recommended bulking techniques there (in terms of nutrition too) would be perfect for you. If anything is gonna get size on you, it's this.

Veezy

que?
Honestly, even as a beginner such as yourself, I'd recommend checking out the programs in the OP. I think things like starting strength and the recommended bulking techniques there (in terms of nutrition too) would be perfect for you. If anything is gonna get size on you, it's this.

I'm gonna second this.

I'm not seeing anything in that program that looks good for anybody, to be honest. Not enough focus for a body builder, too many movements for a strength training directions, and too much volume for a new lifter. You'll probably much happier with one of the simpler Novice programs.

Pachimari

Owz, I'll try do the program my trainer has given me (I would think he knows what he's doing, as he's pretty much expensive, has a military background and has been into it for more than 20 years). =/

I'll take a look at the OP novice program as well.

despire

Owz, I'll try do the program my trainer has given me (I would think he knows what he's doing, as he's pretty much expensive, has a military background and has been into it for more than 20 years). =/

I think most of the experienced lifters here will tell you to do the OP routine or Starting Strength instead since the one you posted has way too much volume. You just burn yourself out doing so many exercises. You'll make better gains with much less. 3 or 4 exercises per workout should be enough for a beginner.

And expensive doesn't allways mean good. At least he has you doing BB squats.

kylej

Banned

DAY 1:

DAY 2:

man... this type of shit would kill me. I don't understand why trainers and other people focus so much on volume. On Chest day Sunday I did 8 sets. 5/3/1 + BBB. Then I left. Kicked my ass, felt good, and I've been making gains..

Now that squats feel second nature with Starting Strength I never get sore doing them, but ever since I progressed towards uncharted territory (+225lbs for me) I feel this weird very mild tingling in my butt cheeks, am I ripping my ass apart?

Cheeto

Now that squats feel second nature with Starting Strength I never get sore doing them, but ever since I progressed towards uncharted territory (+225lbs for me) I feel this weird very mild tangling in my butt cheeks, am I ripping my ass apart?

I hope you don't wear regular boxer shorts, you'll learn soon enough that those things won't be able to contain your gains.

Need advice, fellers.

Got a new job (retail, standing around), so my problem isn't really fitting in workouts, but more to figure out what I want my caloric intake to be.

I'm trying to cut for the summer, so muscle growth + fat loss. I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs, and I've been eating about 2k consistently since the start of the month (give or take a few; I go off MyFitnessPal's calculated suggestions).

Since I'm going to be burning more calories by being on my feet most of the days, I'm just wondering if 2200-2500 sounds good for a cut deficit. In fact, I worry that I undereat. I try to do half an hour of intense cardio every morning right after I wake up, and then weight train in the afternoon or evening (work out 6 days a week).

My daily spread is about 215g protein/110g carbohydrates/70g fat.
I wouldn't go much lower than 2500 calories a day if you are really working out 6 days a week. I'm an inch shorter than you and around the same weight and 2200 calories is how much I should eat to stay the same weight if I'm doing absolutely nothing at all. My cutting calories are at 2700 and I lose 1 - 2 lbs per week and I only work out 5 days a week.

Entrian:

My friend is 6'0, and weighed in at 200 pounds before his cut. Now he's 180 and shredded. He told me at 2,000 calories a day, and not ate carbs after 5pm. 80g of carbs was the daily max he ate.

OG Kush

Entrian:

My friend is 6'0, and weighed in at 200 pounds before his cut. Now he's 180 and shredded. He told me at 2,000 calories a day, and not ate carbs after 5pm. 80g of carbs was the daily max he ate.

Yeah i think i read itsomewhere in this thread as well, called backloading carbs. Only carbs after a workout and not atfer a certain time.

Petrie

Banned

Everything you keep saying is "well, it could be worse". That doesn't make what you're having good. You should not be drinking sugary drinks, especially at that volume, whether it has 1/2 the sugar of soda/regular tea/whatever.

Just because you don't eat sweet foods doesn't mean you are eating well. You definitely aren't getting anywhere near enough protein a day.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have a weakness for chicken bowls from Chipotle.

81g carbs 14g fat 49g protein

More carbs than I would like but I work out 5 days a week.

Petrie

Banned

DAY 1:

DAY 2:

This is a horrible program with way too much isolation and volume for a beginner.

So he was a military guy who already had a physique when he started training likely, and therefor a beginner program made little sense for him. For YOU, the program he gave you is absolute shit.

SeanR1221

Day 2 of cutting...

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 2 pieces of bacon

Lunch - 8 oz of pork, 2 cups lettuce, 1 cup broccoli, 2 tbsp of spinach dip all mixed.

Dinner - 3 Italian sausages, 2 cups green beans.

Snacks - scoop of whey in water.

Quick question: I'm at about 22-25% body fat (according to some simple online calculators). I watched a video recommending I start with a caloric deficit until I drop down to anywhere from 8 to 12% before I really start a bulking phase. It makes sense, but I want to know what others think.

Although I'm thinking something like 15% would be more achievable for this phase, then working on getting down to 10% the next phase.

MjFrancis

@MjFrancis

Hows your routine if you don't mind me asking? I know you do some bw stuff but do you also lift weights? I've seen you post stuff regarding 5/3/1 so I guess it's that?

Just curious since I've been long time interested to add some calithenics to my routine add some point. Probably when I'm lower on bf%.
Having a lower bodyfat percentage will help to perform the more difficult bodyweight calisthenics but there are appropriately leveraged movements for everyone. It's never too early to start, but everyone's progression will follow in it's own time. It will obviously be easier if you start out without excess baggage.

As for my current routine I'm about through the first wave of a modified fullbody 5/3/1 routine (NOT Wendler-approved). As it is I've substituted a few movements with replacements geared towards my own goals - i.e. weighted pull-ups for Kroc rows & dips for db bench - stuff like that.

The key is to insert them intelligently and with purpose. I'm still working on this one but I am getting better. As a result of this question I've taken it upon myself to pen a long-winded reflection on what I've been doing since the bodyweight OP was written.

---

I've stated it before, but brevity is not my strong point:

Squats: Mobility, active flexibility, strength endurance and raw strength are all qualities cultivated by a good regimen of pistol squats. That being said, raw strength reaches a peak very early on. Anyone who reps 225lbs in the barbell squat should have the strength to pistol squat, and adding weight to the pistol is more difficult than not. I prefer to add weight to other exercises rather than rely on pistols as a leg strengthener. If you can pistol and want to use it as a primary leg movement work your way up to 1x20 on each leg. Eventually you can do it for time, but be patient as you work your way up. Form is paramount.

I only use bodyweight squats as a stepping stone towards pistols or as a warm-up for any other leg movement. Strength endurance for the legs is better left for other conditioning regimens - I've been doing stadium step sprints, but hiking, jogging, running, or damn near anything else is better than squatting for minutes on end. Worries about high repetitions and possible injury aside, it's fucking boring.

Chin-ups: Weighted or otherwise, one of the best all-around upper body movements. The back, arms and abs are all hit and it's a great indicator of someone's strength-to-weight ratio. Easy to add weight for raw strength or for reps for endurance. Everyone should be doing these. I recommend using neutral-grip (hands facing one another on parallel bars) or rings for most of your reps if you do at least 100 reps a week. I don't recommend training for strength and endurance simultaneously, as chins are demanding enough that I recommend deloading reps/weight every 4-6 weeks and working your way back up. A dip belt is a must for adding weight systematically.

Push-ups: I just flat out don't do push-ups. I don't need to take any sort of endurance test and I get bored when a set takes longer than a minute. When I take on one-arm push-up training I'll do one-arm incline sets for low reps as I build the skill-specific motor patterns. If I couldn't do dips push-ups would make a fine replacement, though. Nothing wrong with building endurance, and the strength required to work your way towards a one-arm pushup is not to be underestimated.

Dips: Can be loaded with weight or for reps as a strength builder for the shoulders, triceps and chest. Provides great bang for your training economy buck, especially if you are relying on a bar for your upper body training. Lots of bodyweight variations to make it more difficult in addition to being easily loaded with weight on a dip belt to increase the intensity. If your shoulders can't take these for whatever reason I'd fall back on push-ups.

Hanging leg raises: Bar none the most awesome abdominal exercise with the possible exception of the Dragon Flag. There is a variation for every skill level. Every one. Just increase the ROM or the leverage as you improve! Knees to your chest, 90 degrees parallel, feet above head, even side to side - the leg raise has it all. It's never left my programs even as I've manipulated the leverage, time under tension, sets and reps.

Programming is more clear to me now than it once was. I'd recommend a high frequency low rep routine 5-6 days a week (i.e. Pavel's GTG) above all else to gain strength with bodyweight calisthenics. Recovery is still important, but you're never going to failure in your quest for strength with GTG.

After cultivating a decent base of strength I've used the following routine on vacations or extended trips away from a gym. The only equipment required was a bar:

Pistol squats: 5 x 5 (each leg)
Pull-ups: 5 x 8-12
Dips: 5 x 10-20
Hanging leg raises: 5x10 or 10x5

I suspect this would work alright as a 3x/week program since this covers most of your bases for training (squat/pull/push/core). You could include a few accessory movements or substitute push-ups for dips, too. Every movement can be made easier: squats for pistols, Australian pull-ups for pull-ups, push-ups on knees for dips, and planks or leg raises on the ground for hanging leg raises. Conversely, there are more difficult variations to move on to once these have been mastered. Muscle-up training, lever practice or twenty rep squat attempts come to mind; alternatively one of these could be placed at the beginning of a workout after you've warmed up.

By and large, though, the high frequency low rep approach with varying leverage is my top recommendation for bodyweight calisthenics. Cultivate strength and worry about the rest later (not much different than barbell training). Conditioning and mobility work should be accommodated, too. Conditioning is best at 3x or 4x/week and if I can get away with it I do mobility work daily. This doesn't mean doing 90 minutes of hot yoga every fucking day but do something to improve your active flexibility on a daily basis - I prefer the Trifecta as described in Convict Conditioning 2 though I do yoga throughout the week, too.

---

If you've bothered to read any of this and learned anything, my time spent writing it has been vindicated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom