• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does fitnessGAF feel about incorporating cycling twice a week for ~10 miles to a slighty modified SL 5x5 lifting workout? I'm almost back to the strength level I had before my surgery, but I want a more leaner look. Will this type of cardio help?

edit: I should note that the cycling days are not the same as the lifting days.

You are also doing high bar squats which aren't as good IMO as low bar squats. Look them up YT to see the difference or buy Starting Strenght.

Low bar squats are certainly not inherently better than high bar squats. The choice about which version to do comes down to personal goals.

I generally prefer high bar because I like the extra range of motion, the fact that the torso is kept more vertical, and because it recruits more quadriceps.

If, however, I wanted to lift the most amount of weight possible or recruit more posterior chain then I would choose low bar.

Obviously if a powerlifter, you will gravitate more to the low bar, and if an olympic lifter, then you will use the high bar. If training for performance, why not employ both styles from time to time depending on goals or stagnation?

thomaser

Do you have some kind of scientific research or studies that conclusively shows cardio saps strength gains and lifting ability? It sounds really speculative to suggest "never" and based on assumptions.

Nope. Just personal experience (I can lift more if I'm not tired from running/cycling) and having read similar things by several posters here.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Excellent workout today. I'm a full minute under my required runtime now, my sit and reach should be right on (power test isn't really a worry anymore) and I standing overhead pressed 240. Time for a sandwich.

Edit: Just realized this is the first time I've OHPed more than my body weight.

Enco

After a month of taking it easy and doing some bodyweight stuff every now and then I'm ready to get back into it.

But for now I have to finish my omelette with cheese. Mmmmm...

Just bought some Six-Star whey isolate to try it out. Goddamn the french vanilla cream is some tasty shit, lol.

Shifting my routine to a four-day split, with two days cardio (and one rest day). The cut is going great.

Just bought some Six-Star whey isolate to try it out. Goddamn the french vanilla cream is some tasty shit, lol.

Shifting my routine to a four-day split, with two days cardio (and one rest day). The cut is going great.
With milk or water?

I'm also doing four-day, but no cardio. I'm going to add that, though, as I'm not progressing as well as I'd hoped I would by lifting alone.

Veezy

que?
Hopefully you winked like this -

tumblr_lwmz7lqbxU1qahdmvo1_r1_250.gif

While making this face -
tumblr_lml2bslSoY1qk6utro1_500.gif

That's honestly exactly what I did. There was a bit of terror in those 16 year old eyes.

BTW, has anybody watched yet? I feel it should be added to the OP, above everything else.

Now, like today. I just wanna blast my pecs, broseph, need that crease. I just need six pieces in this puzzle, bro.

With milk or water?

I'm also doing four-day, but no cardio. I'm going to add that, though, as I'm not progressing as well as I'd hoped I would by lifting alone.
I mix my protein powder with water, so no milk. Although I could see a milkshake with this protein being very rich in flavor.

I've been doing great with counting calories and macros. After the initial water weight drop, I've been steadily losing a pound a week, which makes me feel great because I'm starting to see some visual changes too.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm going to stop by Whole Foods tomorrow and pick up some whey protein powder that a friend recommended. Going to start taking that after work outs. I've been focusing on bulking up a bit for the past few months and I can feel my progress slowing so this should help. I don't really want to do shakes but the same friend suggested mixing it in with Greek yogurt so I'll see how that is.

My pull up bar also came in before work. I'll probably set that up tonight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jesus. I don't think I'll achieve anything like that quite yet, haha.

You will be amazed how fast your progress goes.

Just a few weeks ago I did 200 in one day. And about 6 months or so ago I could barely do any pullups/chins. Now I'm doing them in sets of 15 and 10 (and I weight 238).

Mahonay

Banned

Just a few weeks ago I did 200 in one day. And about 6 months or so ago I could barely do any pullups/chins. Now I'm doing them in sets of 15 and 10 (and I weight 238).
I do have a bad shoulder to contend with (permanently bent collar bone) but hopefully I pick it up quickly.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

What'd your progression look like? Did you start with the dip/chin machine that gives you weighted assistance or did you do something else when you couldn't do a pull/chin up?

Jesus. I don't think I'll achieve anything like that quite yet, haha.

Give it some time and you will get there. Easiest thing to do is everytime you walk under the bar, do a pullup. Simple.

And this isn't 100 all at once haha. This is just over a period of a day. If that is in sets of 5, 10, 15, or just one, as long as I get to the final total of 100, I'm happy.

Mahonay

Banned
Give it some time and you will get there. Easiest thing to do is everytime you walk under the bar, do a pullup. Simple.

And this isn't 100 all at once haha. This is just over a period of a day. If that is in sets of 5, 10, 15, or just one, as long as I get to the final total of 100, I'm happy.
Ah ok that makes more sense, hahah.

Yeah that's what I do with my dumbbells already. Basically whenever I'm in the same room with them I do some reps.

cdyhybrid

Excellent workout today. I'm a full minute under my required runtime now, my sit and reach should be right on (power test isn't really a worry anymore) and I standing overhead pressed 240. Time for a sandwich.

Edit: Just realized this is the first time I've OHPed more than my body weight.

Nice. Can you choke slam someone now?

Carbonox

What is the best exercise for building the upper chest? I've seen a lot of recommendations for incline presses (dumbell specifically). I wouldn't mind alternating between flat bench and incline/decline bench every so often for a bit more diversity.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What'd your progression look like? Did you start with the dip/chin machine that gives you weighted assistance or did you do something else when you couldn't do a pull/chin up?

I was doing assisted which I now recommend against completely until I got my door frame pullup bar.

Then I just did sets of 5 until I could move up to sets of 10 and so on.

Assisted pullups are bullshit and you may as well do lat pulldowns.

Nice. Can you choke slam someone now?

I've BEEN able to choke slam someone. ;)

I was doing assisted which I now recommend against completely until I got my door frame pullup bar.

Assisted pullups are bullshit and you may as well do lat pulldowns.

I've BEEN able to choke slam someone. ;)

Can you choke slam me ;)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
What is the best exercise for building the upper chest? I've seen a lot of recommendations for incline presses (dumbell specifically). I wouldn't mind alternating between flat bench and incline/decline bench every so often for a bit more diversity.

Food curls. You can develop a full chest just doing flat bench. Incline press is fine but don't put the incline too high or you'll target more delt than pec.

Did single failure set Wednesday for cgbp and pendlay @200lbs after med-working sets and put up x27/x19. I've always wanted my row = cgbp.

Mr. Fix

So for anyone (I'm assuming a lot here) who eat chicken breasts, and salmon frequently; any recipes? I doubt I can take it in tasting bland and all.

Today was supposed to be my cheat day, suddenly didn't feel like it this morning, so I had my regular oatmeal and coffee. Maybe tomorrow.
So for anyone (I'm assuming a lot here) who eat chicken breasts, and salmon frequently; any recipes? I doubt I can take it in tasting bland and all.
I eat chicken breasts with mixed veggies, would add olive oil sometimes. Salmon/Tuna with a lot of lemon, that does it for me.

snoopen

can make the salom quite crusty by dusting the skin with flour, salt and pepper before pan frying. comes out crispy and pretty delicious.

balddemon

Banned
shoulders today

hang clean and jerked today for the first time. oh yeah thats hard. i now know why SS has you do 5x3 instead of 3x5 for power cleans lol. but it was fun, and my wrists/shoulders/elbows are flexible enough now that i can properly "rack" the bar on my shoulders.

ALSO i managed to go from crane to handstand today. pretty shitty handstand, but it surprised the hell outta me considering i haven't worked on it at all for the past few months. just getting stronger and better, especially in my core i guess

Oh lord, you've unleashed the beast. Don't get me started on cooking and recipes, I'll be posting all night long. :p
can make the salom quite crusty by dusting the skin with flour, salt and pepper before pan frying. comes out crispy and pretty delicious.
You can also go without flour and just put about a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, then cut the salmon fillet into inch-long cubes. Nice and crispy salmon nuggets that way. Or you can coat it in panko instead of flour... mmm.

Speaking of dusting with starch, I did make oven-baked chicken kara-age for tomorrow's lunch, and the little sample bite I took was delicious. My lunch will basically be a kara-age obento, with a cup of broccoli and a half cup of Japanese rice, along with the chicken itself.

Lemon pepper goes very well on salmon, too.

Also, make your own chicken tenders by mixing panko and McCormick's seasoning salt for the coating, then pan-fry the tenderloins in olive oil. So. Fucking. Good.

Gonna make chocolate protein waffles this weekend. Hopefully this turns out well.

I plan to abuse this waffle maker that my gf bought. CAN'T WAIT.

Cheeto

This shit does get addicting. Today I woke up 2 hours early for work to hit the gym beforehand. Its kinda unheard of for me. I have a lunch date and my weekend is occupied... 2 years ago I would have said fuck it and skipped training.

So Starting Strength bench pressing, last week all I managed was 4-3-3 with 143lbs, today I did 5-4-4. Should I keep using the same weight until I can accomplish a 5-5-5?

Also squatted 230lbs and double overhand Deadlifted 176lbs today. Yay.

CrankyJay

Banned
Definitely digging squats more with the Chuck Taylors as opposed to sneakers...I can definitely feel my heels driving through the floor more.

grumble

So Starting Strength bench pressing, last week all I managed was 4-3-3 with 143lbs, today I did 5-4-4. Should I keep using the same weight until I can accomplish a 5-5-5?

Also squatted 230lbs and double overhand Deadlifted 176lbs today. Yay.

Try once more, eat more and get some sleep. If it still isn't working for you, reset.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I just discovered that mixing my protein powder in less water makes it taste WAY better. So much smoother and better tasting. I hate that i just discovered this...FUCK!

CrankyJay

Banned
I just discovered that mixing my protein powder in less water makes it taste WAY better. So much smoother and better tasting. I hate that i just discovered this...FUCK!

Yah, and sometimes I add a few icecubes and blend it in the blender. Make it colder and the water more tolerable, and it has a bettery consistency.

Did you use the grease the groove system by doing pullups every day or how often did you do those? My pullups have gone down during the last six months or so and I really got to get my numbers back up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom