• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they caused my shoulder pain but I have no evidence of it. I think I'll stay at lower rep ranges from mow on. Today I did 2 and went straight to 10 wide grip pull ups.

I blew out my shoulder doing muscle ups. You just have to stop doing them when you feel your form is falling apart. I just got too greedy and did too many.

bro1

Banned
I pulled a trap doing weighted dips yesterday and it hurts like hell. I was going for rep number 5 with 90lbs around my waist and I just felt it bunch up.

My problem is I have to force myself to eat to maintain 2500, lol. What are some good extra sources of calories that won't throw my macro out of whack with fats or starches? Just increase my portions, I suppose?
That's what I would do. Increase it little by little. Your appetitte will get used to it. Try adding 100 calories per week.

Week 1: 2500 calories
Week 2: 2600 calories
Week 3: 2700 calories

and so on.

I find that I lose way too much muscle going on a cut steeper than a 700 calories deficit.

Finally got back up to 300 lb deadlifts for 3 reps. Feels good man. I'm wondering, what's the best way to test my 1RM? Is there a suggested way to ramp up for it? I was thinking of doing 3x135, 1x225, 1x300, 1x310, 1x320, 1x330, etc etc until failure, but really I've never tried to measure my 1RM before.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I ripped my boxers squatting yesterday. This is like a right of passage, correct? :p

Yep : )

It's happened to me a couple of times (the second time I forgot to switch and didn't remember until I was already at the gym, tried to do squats anyway).

Is there an exercise that I can do instead of the power clean one in the OP? I'm going for a full body exercise program and I want it to be as close to the beginner's program in the original post as possible.

Mr.City

Finally got back up to 300 lb deadlifts for 3 reps. Feels good man. I'm wondering, what's the best way to test my 1RM? Is there a suggested way to ramp up for it? I was thinking of doing 3x135, 1x225, 1x300, 1x310, 1x320, 1x330, etc etc until failure, but really I've never tried to measure my 1RM before.

That would be a good way.

Not enough room in the gym unfortunately. :/

People will get out of the way.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I know it's not amazing but I just wanted somewhere to celebrate my benching 3 plates for the first time in my life. I'm still overweight but I'm benching more than I ever have. Makes me happy to hit milestones that I've never hit even while I was in the best shape of my life. =)

cdyhybrid

I ripped my boxers squatting yesterday. This is like a right of passage, correct? :p

Welcome to the party!

I know it's not amazing but I just wanted somewhere to celebrate my benching 3 plates for the first time in my life. I'm still overweight but I'm benching more than I ever have. Makes me happy to hit milestones that I've never hit even while I was in the best shape of my life. =)

Nice dude, good job.

entremet

Were you Bronzewolf before?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Always been oxrock. It's sad that I've been a posting member since like '04 and nobody knows me.

grumble

Can't stand muscle ups. Not because they aren't cool or flashy but because they're dangerous. They absolutely destroy your shoulders and are a major cause of slap tears. They just aren't worth it.

Anyone mind checking out my form for squats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXFWBd8B1M&feature=youtu.be

I use to do smith squats due to fear of messing up but I'm trying to transition into just doing normal squats.

I think it looks pretty good. The grips might be a bit too wide, the barbell a bit too high up on the back and you can always go down lower with your ass when you squat. ;)

Otherwise I'd say it looks fine! Can't see your legs though and your stance. It's an important part of the squat too. How does it feel?

snoopen

I use to do smith squats due to fear of messing up but I'm trying to transition into just doing normal squats.

It is hard to tell, but it looks like your wrists are "upright" rather than in a straight line with the rest of your arm. If you look at this link, (which is actually about benching, but the same rule applies here) you want your wrist to be more like the left image, not the right, or you're risking putting unneeded pressure on your wrists.

I could be wrong about this, but that is what I've always been taught. Also, it's hard to see your feet in this video, but as a general reminder, be sure to keep your heels and toes flat on the ground at all times, no lifting up off your heels.

Hell, even that image on the left shows the wrists curling a bit more than I personally like.

snoopen

Have been sick with the flu all week, not doing much besides sleeping.. Would you guys consider it a proper rest week? I ask because I feel quite weak at the moment and was due for a week off gymming anyway.

Veezy

que?
So, I'm doing deadlifts at my local globo gym. Inside there is, amazingly, a platform. This is good.

However, directly behind this plat form is one of those Natalus wanna trap bar things. Ya know, with the adjustable handles and the weights that go on the side. Pointless for everything except maybe trying to up your dumbbell shrug. Whatever, do what ya want.

My problem this evening, is I thought there was a code in the gym. The "don't be right behind me when I'm doing some shit because it's weird" code. I had done a few heavy deads and really felt like pulling 365 for 5. So, I address the bar. While doing my lifts, some guy walks to the pretend trap bar, and begins doing deads as well as if to compete with me.

No exaggeration, this piece of equipment puts my ass when I'm at the starting portion of the lift less than two feet away from this guys body. Seriously, just fucking wait a second.

Ya know, a god damned second. It'd be one thing if he looked like he was there to do something. But no, he was a high schooler with friends trying to show off. Six of 'em, just lined up behind my perfectly shaped ass, watching their friend get excited about lifting 90 pounds as many times as I did. Then we made eye contact. He said "what bro." I winked, as if to say "you know you liked what you say." They then proceeded to go to the other side of the gym. I think I just made that kid uncomfortable for life around people covered in chalk.

So, new folks, keep like a yard between you and somebody else if ya can. Don't be so damn close.

abuC

So, I'm doing deadlifts at my local globo gym. Inside there is, amazingly, a platform. This is good.

However, directly behind this plat form is one of those Natalus wanna trap bar things. Ya know, with the adjustable handles and the weights that go on the side. Pointless for everything except maybe trying to up your dumbbell shrug. Whatever, do what ya want.

My problem this evening, is I thought there was a code in the gym. The "don't be right behind me when I'm doing some shit because it's weird" code. I had done a few heavy deads and really felt like pulling 365 for 5. So, I address the bar. While doing my lifts, some guy walks to the pretend trap bar, and begins doing deads as well as if to compete with me.

No exaggeration, this piece of equipment puts my ass when I'm at the starting portion of the lift less than two feet away from this guys body. Seriously, just fucking wait a second.

Ya know, a god damned second. It'd be one thing if he looked like he was there to do something. But no, he was a high schooler with friends trying to show off. Six of 'em, just lined up behind my perfectly shaped ass, watching their friend get excited about lifting 90 pounds as many times as I did. Then we made eye contact. He said "what bro." I winked, as if to say "you know you liked what you say." They then proceeded to go to the other side of the gym. I think I just made that kid uncomfortable for life around people covered in chalk.

So, new folks, keep like a yard between you and somebody else if ya can. Don't be so damn close.

Hopefully you winked like this -

tumblr_lwmz7lqbxU1qahdmvo1_r1_250.gif

While making this face -
tumblr_lml2bslSoY1qk6utro1_500.gif

Does anyone's routine include bent over bb rows? I did some last night and I gotta say they felt real good. I also did some deadlifts but thinking back now I'm pretty sure my form was off. I'll address that next time I'm at the gym.

Mr.City

Well, let see...

You're not going to parallel, you're wearing gloves for some strange reason, and I don't think you're shoving your knees out. Furthermore, you just seem to sink into the bottom position, pause, and then go back up. THe lack of momentum could be explained to the looseness of your squat; your back rounds at the bottom.

I would shoving your knees out for future sets, and make sure to arch your back hard. Also, don't pause at the bottom like that. This is the problem when guys want to 'test the waters' with a smith machine squat; it creates a very unnatural and ineffective movement pattern.

Does anyone's routine include bent over bb rows? I did some last night and I gotta say they felt real good. I also did some deadlifts but thinking back now I'm pretty sure my form was off. I'll address that next time I'm at the gym.

If you've never done deadlifts before, how can you even be sure if they feel off? And where are you learning how to deadlift from?

despire

Started using a belt today for my worksets. Felt much more rigid and confident about my lifts. Squats were much easier to do and press felt a bit more secure too. Though I sometimes still accidentally lean back too much. Felt some pain in my spine for half a sec but nothing more serious thankfully (dangerous still I know). Used it for deads too though I think I mainly needed it for squats.

Managed to pull 300lbs though and I'm happy :)

ToxicAdam

Getting back into working out after a 3 year layoff. I need to lose about 20-25 pounds I have gained since then.

This time around I have to workout late at night, usually between 9-11p. Problem is that when I get home, I am ravenous. My body is screaming for carbs or any food really.

I feel guilty eating anything else, because it seems like I am just adding calories for no reason. But I also don't want to neglect my body from getting the proper nutrients it wants/needs while I go to sleep. Any recommendations on what to scarf down ( fairly quickly) before I crash? Or should I just adapt and suck it up if I want to lose weight?

Getting back into working out after a 3 year layoff. I need to lose about 20-25 pounds I have gained since then.

This time around I have to workout late at night, usually between 9-11p. Problem is that when I get home, I am ravenous. My body is screaming for carbs or any food really.

I feel guilty eating anything else, because it seems like I am just adding calories for no reason. But I also don't want to neglect my body from getting the proper nutrients it wants/needs while I go to sleep. Any recommendations on what to scarf down ( fairly quickly) before I crash? Or should I just adapt and suck it up if I want to lose weight?

I tend to workout around the same time and usually just have a protein shake or something similar after i finish.

Well, let see...

You're not going to parallel, you're wearing gloves for some strange reason, and I don't think you're shoving your knees out. Furthermore, you just seem to sink into the bottom position, pause, and then go back up. THe lack of momentum could be explained to the looseness of your squat; your back rounds at the bottom.

I would shoving your knees out for future sets, and make sure to arch your back hard. Also, don't pause at the bottom like that. This is the problem when guys want to 'test the waters' with a smith machine squat; it creates a very unnatural and ineffective movement pattern.

If you've never done deadlifts before, how can you even be sure if they feel off? And where are you learning how to deadlift from?
I watched a bunch of videos on YT last night and realized my grip wasn't wide enough.

Great job man!

I feel the same. I always wanted to rep 2plates(225). I just hit that about two weeks ago and now at 235 3x5. Loving it. Keep it going man, set a new goal and go for it.

Anyone have any advice on pull ups? I am doing underhand grip and shooting for 3x12. The problem I have is I hate when my body sways while doing them. Last night I felt I did them right for the first time by going pretty slow and trying to clinch my abs to make sure I just go straight up and straight down. Is that the best way to stay straight with no sway?

Great job man!

I feel the same. I always wanted to rep 2plates(225). I just hit that about two weeks ago and now at 235 3x5. Loving it. Keep it going man, set a new goal and go for it.

Anyone have any advice on pull ups? I am doing underhand grip and shooting for 3x12. The problem I have is I hate when my body sways while doing them. Last night I felt I did them right for the first time by going pretty slow and trying to clinch my abs to make sure I just go straight up and straight down. Is that the best way to stay straight with no sway?

Its ok if you sway to get those last few in, or extra ones in. Your arms will get huge just off those extra negs when your body goes down.

Jonm1010

Banned
So what's the consensus on what time and what days a person should perform cardio?

Should it be before a weight training session? After? In the morning with weights at night? Only on the days you aren't weight training?

Kwhit10

Great job man!

What help me prevent swaying is holding my legs straight and out at like a 100-120° angle. This helps counterbalance the movement for me and I don't sway with chin ups.

You should have married him. Jay Z says it OK. Still waiting to hear from Ja Rule.

thomaser

So what's the consensus on what time and what days a person should perform cardio?

Should it be before a weight training session? After? In the morning with weights at night? Only on the days you aren't weight training?

I think most people here would say to do it after weight training or on another day, never before. You need all of your strenght for the weights.

You should figure it out for yourself. Try running in the morning and lifting a few hours later one day, lifting and cardio after another day, and then just seperate days. Why not mix them up? There is no general consensus IMO, no ones body/abilities follows a correct formula, you just gotta try stuff out and see how you feel doing it.

I think most people here would say to do it after weight training or on another day, never before. You need all of your strenght for the weights.

Do you have some kind of scientific research or studies that conclusively shows cardio saps strength gains and lifting ability? It sounds really speculative to suggest "never" and based on assumptions.

Jonm1010

Banned
Scientific studies were kinda what I was hinting at. I feel like when I google cardio in the morning I get hits saying to never do it, it wont burn fat, it will hinder performance, it will eat into your muscle etc.....followed by hits saying it will burn more fat, give you enough time in between for weight training. Same goes for cardio right after a workout. Problem is it all seem to just be opinions based on, I guess, superstition.

........so confusing.

Scientific studies were kinda what I was hinting at. I feel like when I google cardio in the morning I get hits saying to never do it, it wont burn fat, it will hinder performance etc.....followed by hits saying it will burn more fat, give you enough time in between for weight training. Same goes for cardio right after a workout. Problem is it all seem to just be opinions based on, I guess, superstition.

........so confusing.
So much of it is mental. You won't find a general consensus because everyone has different physical and mental limits when it comes to working out. Find what works best for you. Who cares if it's not "scientifically" what works best. If you can't stick with it mentally then all the science in the world doesn't matter.

Do you have some kind of scientific research or studies that conclusively shows cardio saps strength gains and lifting ability? It sounds really speculative to suggest "never" and based on assumptions.

If you are tired after cardio and try to lift weights, you won't be able to lift as heavy and as hard as you can as you have already used up your energy. This is me speaking from personal experience and through research, people who lifts, etc.

Now as far as doing cardio in the the morning and then lifting at night, I have no idea. I'm talking more of the cardio and then lifting right after.

If I did the stair stepper for 30 minutes, you better believe that there is no way in hell I can squat to my maximum effort.

So much of it is mental. You won't find a general consensus because everyone has different physical and mental limits when it comes to working out. Find what works best for you. Who cares if it's not "scientifically" what works best. If you can't stick with it mentally then all the science in the world doesn't matter.

Exactly. Our bodies are not delicate little vessels that will cease to function in physical activities if we dont always get an exact hours of sleep, calories per day, or what time of the day cardio gets done. 50% of it is mental and how hard and far you are willing to push yourself.

In my kickboxing training camp that I just finished a few months ago before one of my fights we use to run several miles in the morning, a little later do olympic-type lifts for strength and conditioning , and 5-8 rounds of pads/sparring to finish that off. I had 1 recovery day per week. My lifts increased throughout the camp and by the time it was over I was in the best shape of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom