• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow, I called Mayweather a disgusting person last night in here and went to bed not realizing it would lead to someone having a meltdown and getting banned.

That was interesting to read.

zewone

Give it up bro, just accept greatness.
UFxeIAh.png
Huh?

I wonder if Trump was watching the fight since he and Floyd are good business friends. I was surprised there hasn't been a congratulatory tweet yet. It would've been hilarious if there was a tweet right after the fight.
Wasn't he bitching about the Maidana fight? Saying it was fixed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nekketsu Kõha;247061124 said:
You couldn't be more wrong. This is the peak and has been for the last decade. The techniques and athleticism is greater than anything in the past and his achievements greater than those of any boxer who lives or has ever fought.

Even if you were right, which you aren't, this is not the peak of anything except steroids and corruption, historical boxers would have access to the techniques, technology, training and drugs that Floyd has and that would upend your argument.

You mention Tim being shot as an excuse against a 48 year old boxing veteran who has been in numerous wars with the likes of Evander Holyfield. How is Silvia shot but not James Toney. Do you know how many pro boxing matches James Toney has had? Have you heard him speak before and how punch drunk he sounds. The excuse of being shot should never come up against a fighter who is 48 and 15 years your senior.

Randy Couture is 5 years older than James Toney and was no longer anywhere near title contention in the UFC when they fought. His next fight (which would be his last) would see him getting KO'ed by way of Crane Kick courtesy of Lyoto Machida. Yes, the fucking kick from the Karate Kid. Literally. That. Kick.

So, let's not talk about how shot James Toney was.

As for Sylvia/Mercer- both fighters were completely shot. It took place at a third-tier event for a reason. Sylvia was already irrelevant to MMA at that point in his career. I mean, Lennox Lewis might knock Mark Coleman out in somebody's back yard next week for all I know, but that doesn't really mean anything, and it's not what my statement was meant to address.

Sony

Nintendo
I respect Mayweather's achievements, but I will never forget that one KO where he cheapshot Victor Ortiz.

Watching the fight now, reluctantly since it's going to suck. Quick play by play.

R1: PBF looks like he's warming up in a light sparring session that Conor should be wearing headgear for. A few jabs connected by Conor, not much offense from PBF but he doesn't give a shit. Conor tries to half-heartedly go RJJ 90 seconds into the first round but doesn't actually commit, looks weak. 10-9 Conor, no damage.

R2: PBF still feeling him out. Conor keeps throwing illegal strikes to the back of the head and not a whole lot else. 10-9 PBF. In between rounds PBF refuses to sip any water and looks like his heart rate is at about 40 bpm. I think his corner might have loaded up some Netflix for him off-screen since they haven't given him any verbal feedback and he looks like he could be on a sofa right now. Conor is breathing heavily and has giant icepacks being held against his body while his corner rapid-fires advice.

R3: More illegal strikes. I don't know if Conor is actually hitting anything other than the back of PBF's head at this point. On his way to losing a point. Conor has zero footwork other than his telegraphed, stiff stance shuffles to orthodox for a single punch. Conor's couple real jabs from the first round are nowhere to be seen and he's just pawing his jab at the edge of his reach over and over now, accomplishing nothing. Floyd's still watching Death Note on his corner's iPad while warming up a bit more. 10-9 PBF. Conor's breathing very heavily in the corner now.

R4: Conor opens up with a flurry that hits nothing except PBF's defenses...and his cup. Jesus Christ, dude. More illegal shit with this pseudo-guillotine clinching a few consecutive times. Now Conor tries some legal boxing finally and immediately gets tagged. Again. Again. Conor's slowing down. Tagged again. PBF flies past Conor's overextended arm and tags him in the nose. Conor looks hurt already and is moving like he's underwater. Takes his back...not MMA, dude. Chin up and extended forward comically...tagged. Floyd's blocked or slipped just about everything this round while landing at-will. PBF nails a counter and then Conor reaches all the way around to tap him on the back of the head, for reasons. 10-9 PBF, starting to get to 10-8 territory. Conor's arms are hanging limp at his waist and he looks completely gassed after the bell.

R5: Floyd's now just walking forward and largely disregarding Conor's offense as if he's being given a therapeutic massage by Conor's gloves. Chasing him across the ring now. Lots of clinching. PBF parries some of Conor's punches mid-air. Couple clean shots, not a whole lot going on. 10-9 PBF. Conor's sucking air hard. Floyd looks warmed up.

R6: Oh my fucking god stop hitting him in the back of the head, Conor. Full combination to the back of the head. I'm deducting a point here. Ref steps in but nothing from him. Two hard shots to Conor's chin. Then to the body. Then to the nose. Crunch. Crunch. Haymaker cracks the side of Conor's head. And again. Conor looks scared. PBF is locked in on his face now and getting into a rhythm. Every jab is going through Conor's raised guard and PBF is parrying the return punches. Conor scores with a combination but with zero force behind it, pitter patter. Floyd's smiling. Conor smiles back and looks gassed as shit and drops the smile to fend for his life. PBF slips, slips, Conor visibly struggles with the energy expended whiffing his punches as the round ends. 10-8 PBF with a point for Conor's repeated intentional illegal punches to the back of the head as far as I'm concerned. This is gonna get ugly shortly. Conor's eye is swelling up...make that both eyes.

R7: Floyd Mayweather Jr. hits like a fucking freight train compared to his opponent, I believe the first time those words have ever formed in that order in my brain in 32 years. Conor's brain meanwhile appears to be turning off the rest of the way and he's going for double underhooks and elbows and trying to take Floyd's back. Get the ambulance ready. Five consecutive clean hits to Conor's face and body. Make that seven. This is bag work now. Conor gets double underhooks again. I don't think he knows he's in a boxing match anymore. Floyd rattles his brain a few more times and Conor takes his back, again, desperately, and flops against the ropes after the ref separates them. PBF looks mildly annoyed that his bag work got interrupted. 10-9 Mayweather.

R8: Conor McGregor gets punched in the face while gassed horribly. 10-9 PBF. Floyd figures out his afterparty plans.

R9: Conor opens with a flurry, clinches, clinches again, ref pulls him aside to give him a stern talking to and Conor punches Floyd in the face while the ref is mid-lecture. Probably not very smart. Big combination from Floyd, Conor wears himself out hitting Floyd's gloves about 20 times and then eats more clean punches. More. More. Well, Conor McGregor officially has CTE along with his $30 million check. 10-8 Mayweather. Dead man walking, if you can call that walking. throwinthedamntowel.gif.

R10: Time to replace the heavy bag.

I missed this.

I approve of this. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who put money on Connor to do what 49 men who boxed their entire lifetimes couldn't. Especially if it was money they couldn't afford to lose.

It was never a contest. What looked like a contest was Floyd committing to giving the people "a show", which he repeated in the post-fight interview. He did what he could to make it *look* like he was in a boxing match against a decent opponent.

Reminds me of what an NBA player might do while playing against an AAU or high school player. Not really looking to embarrass them so going about 30% effort, but will start actually "playing" (70%) when they've grown bored and want to make clear who is the NBA player.

I respect Mayweather's achievements, but I will never forget that one KO where he cheapshot Victor Ortiz.

I am of the persuasion that he doesn't give a fuck if you respect him or not, what you do or don't remember.

50-0

Wasn't a cheap shot, was taking advantage of another fighter's stupidity (a fighter who, just minutes before, tried to intentionally headbutt him, fuck him). The refs say "Protect yourself at ALL times" not "Protect yourself except for when you are stupidly trying to hug your opponent"

zelas

Robin Black is another MMA Analyst out there still embarrassing himself like Ariel Helwani.

The half-hearted compliments from some of these guys plus the downplaying/outright refusal to acknowledge how Floyd directed the flow of the fight from start to finish is not a convincing way to get fans of either sport to fully understand the ability of Floyd and Mcgregor. Nor is it helping to foster the proper respect for MMA and boxing. These guys of all should know better. Thank god for Luke Thomas.

Also I'm seriously loling at people thinking Mcgregor was a good example of how to be graceful in a loss. Complaining about the stoppage for half his post fight interview, right after downplaying Floyd's speed, is hardly an example of grace. Why does Conor have to be seen as unparalleled when it comes to everything?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I missed this.

I approve of this. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who put money on Connor to do what 49 men who boxed their entire lifetimes couldn't. Especially if it was money they couldn't afford to lose.

It was never a contest. What looked like a contest was Floyd committing to giving the people "a show", which he repeated in the post-fight interview. He did what he could to make it *look* like he was in a boxing match against a decent opponent.

50-0

The bolded is the only thing that bothers me.

It shouldn't have counted. It was an exhibition. It was a damn creampuff match. He got paid hundreds of millions to fight an amateur boxer. I'm all for McGregor getting his payday, and being able to convince Mayweather to come out of retirement to put on a show. Make that money, Conor. But this was a Varsity High school tennis player playing against Roger Federer, and Federer's win going on his record. It shouldn't.

It shouldn't have counted. It was an exhibition. It was a damn creampuff match. He got paid hundreds of millions to fight an amateur boxer. I'm all for McGregor getting his payday, and being able to convince Mayweather to come out of retirement to put on a show. Make that money, Conor. But this was a Varsity High school tennis player playing against Roger Federer, and Federer's win going on his record. It shouldn't.

Agree. I'm actually kinda surprised he'd be okay with the last match we see him in EVER being against someone who's never fought a boxing match in their lives before.

Tall4Life

It was a sanctioned boxing match, so...

Derwind

What I learned from yesterday is that a competitive boxing match is one where one side is given no room to get a clean shot in because his opponent is constantly getting into his strike zone and the other side looking like they're enjoying a nice warmup excercise before a real fight.

Anyone who thought this was going any other way, or thought this was a legitimate fight was played like Mayweather played McGregor for 10 rounds.

Its like a boxing fan acting like one of their favourite fighters could dominate the octagon. Its an entirely different sport with different rules of engagement and tactics to win. And your up againt an all time great.

Milennia

Robin Black is another MMA Analyst out there still embarrassing himself like Ariel Helwani.

The half-hearted compliments from some of these guys plus the downplaying/outright refusal to acknowledge how Floyd directed the flow of the fight from start to finish is not a convincing way to get fans of either sport to fully understand the ability of Floyd and Mcgregor. Nor is it helping to foster the proper respect for MMA and boxing. These guys of all should know better. Thank god for Luke Thomas.

Also I'm seriously loling at people thinking Mcgregor was a good example of how to be graceful in a loss. Complaining about the stoppage for half his post fight interview, right after downplaying Floyd's speed, is hardly an example of grace. Why does Conor have to be seen as unparalleled when it comes to everything?
I was at a viewing party last night and some people I didn't know were just like This I couldn't handle it

All they kept saying was ”what a joke let's see mayweather in an mma fight"

Mcgregor stepped to mayweather and got stomped on without even utilizing his normal fighting style which would have ended this even earlier

I'm a mcgregor fan but I can admit 110% for me he was outclassed and it could have been worse

It was awesome watching mayweather literally adapt from round to round just to put on a good show and prove what he is
This was a good fight

Whoa! Wait a sec....I've only just visited this thread. There were people who thought Mac was going to win?

Maybe a few, but i think most reasonable people A: wanted him to win and B:Were pointing out his chances were at least >0%

Something something McGregor deadly left hook, something something MMA skills, something something real fighter

You're conflating two different things here...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It was a sanctioned boxing match, so...

...and personally that's not a good look for boxing. Gennady Golovkin is the current middleweight champion. Should Matthew Mcconaughey, who I've read was golden gloves when he was younger, be able to go train for half a year, and get in the ring with him for a legit match? Fuck no. Its unfair, both to Mcconaughey, because he'd get bodied, and to the dozens of legit boxers who paid their dues to even get ranked. I'm sure that Golovkin would love the easy payday, but that shouldn't go on his record as a win.

I think this is the same. I'm not going to hate on the spectacle. I wanted to see Mayweather vs McGregor as much as everyone else did in this thread. I just don't think it should have been counted on the books.

kinggroin

Banned
It all seems so obvious now. Lol.

I dunno, it just seemed conor would have been able to tag him. But that's what 49 professional boxers also said...

The gloves made a difference, conor had little power. And he literally played right into gassing himself out. That is what was so surprising.

If I trained conor, it would be to be slightly aggressive and reactive, because Floyd is going to try to gas you out. Like everyone in the world is saying. So if he does, just technically win with a few jabs per round. Let the crowd boo. And keep it up. React to floyds energy. Showboat a little..

But no, he just hit the NOS button. And died like literally everyone said he would. I just thought they'd have prepared him for that.

Nope. You're taking too much away from Floyd tbh.

Conor didn't act crazy or anything, and in fact, really composed himself well enough in trying to land his jab (which he did). Mayweather however, invested HEAVILY in body early on, and TOOK that stamina from McGregor.

That's it.

He's 50-0 for a reason (and it's not because his opponents don't train right)

kinggroin

Banned
...and personally that's not a good look for boxing. Gennady Golovkin is the current middleweight champion. Should Matthew Mcconaughey, who I've read was golden gloves when he was younger, be able to go train for half a year, and get in the ring with him for a legit match? Fuck no. Its unfair, both to Mcconaughey, because he'd get bodied, and to the dozens of legit boxers who paid their dues to even get ranked. I'm sure that Golovkin would love the easy payday, but that shouldn't go on his record as a win.

I think this is the same. I'm not going to hate on the spectacle. I wanted to see Mayweather vs McGregor as much as everyone else did in this thread. I just don't think it should have been counted on the books.

Are you joking? McGregor isn't an actor. He's a decorated, disciplined (highly active) mixed martial artist with enough talent and athleticism to at least make people tune in and give him a chance.

Stop making excuses for the guy when even HE isn't.

Having it be a sanctioned, professional boxing match is what added to the spectacle though. If it had been an exhibition, the stakes (mainly Floyd's 0 not being on the line) would have been greatly diminished, and the fighters likely would have taken it even less seriously than they did.

Conor got demolished. He played right into Floyd's plan of just gassing him. He literally stood there and blocked for a few rounds while that jackass kept swinging thinking he's keeping him in a corner.

Dude got played hard. Why are all MMA fighters so bad at thinking under pressure?

At 40, Floyd still shows why he's the GOAT. He got an easy payday by beating up:

tumblr_m4n1h33lai1rq3uklo2_250.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I never partake in the anit-Floyd drama, there's no point to it at all, and no argument to be made. Enjoy boxing, or don't watch it.

kinggroin

Banned
Conor got demolished. He played right into Floyd's plan of just gassing him. He literally stood there and blocked for a few rounds while that jackass kept swinging thinking he's keeping him in a corner.

Dude got played hard. Why are all MMA fighters so bad at thinking under pressure?

How do you figure?

How do you figure?

Conor started throwing hammers and then Floyd turned his back and kept leaning. Conor kept falling for it. He's an idiot. He got played so hard. He was so fatigued he kept throwing punches, he was so aimed at winning by strength that he didn't realize Floyd was smiling his ass off the entire time. Then he gets dummied later because he literally can't keep his arms up anymore while Floyd is just "man, only the 8th round and I get free face shots?"

Farsi

Looking back at the fight and the ref did an amazing job. He gave Conor a ton of room to learn instead of mindlessly taking points away, he let both guys get rough at times knowing the type of fight this was. I loved how he also was looking at Conor during the staredown to give him clear instructions. He understood the situation and big props to him.

dem

At 40, Floyd still shows why he's the GOAT. He got an easy payday by beating up:

tumblr_m4n1h33lai1rq3uklo2_250.gif

You realize this was a boxing match with an all time great vs a guy who never boxed, right?

Boxing pundits were saying Conor wouldn't land a shot. Apparently we are now painting a narrative where Floyd LET Conor hit him with that uppercut.

Everyone knew Mayweather was going to win. I bet on May by Tko. Now everyone is trying to rewrite the story.

Conor started throwing hammers and then Floyd turned his back and kept leaning. Conor kept falling for it. He's an idiot. He got played so hard. He was so fatigued he kept throwing punches, he was so aimed at winning by strength that he didn't realize Floyd was smiling his ass off the entire time. Then he gets dummied later because he literally can't keep his arms up anymore while Floyd is just "man, only the 8th round and I get free face shots?"

He was out of his element, against a guy who has 20 years worth of experience. Saying "all MMA fighters are bad at thinking under pressure" is stupid. Hell watch Conor in most of his UFC fights. He's surgical.

I also don't get this Conor did well because Floyd should have done better/won sooner/whatever narrative. Of course he has a game plan. He has an insane unimaginable record on the line and to have that ruined by someone who never got into the ring before would be embarrassing. Conor had nothing to lose, Floyd had everything to lose.

Conor was also much bigger, all it takes one moment of not being careful and someone like Conor could have blown up the spot early on. But he stuck to his plan, blocked his way into deep water and then went for the KO. It probably went word for word like they discussed in the back.

The whole Conor wouldn't land a shot was all bullshit hype mongering. Of course he would.

Looking back at the fight and the ref did an amazing job. He gave Conor a ton of room to learn instead of mindlessly taking points away, he let both guys get rough at times knowing the type of fight this was. I loved how he also was looking at Conor during the staredown to give him clear instructions. He understood the situation and big props to him.

the ref kept telling Mayweather to keep his head up. That's why he didn't take points. It was a two way street on that one.

You realize this was a boxing match with an all time great vs a guy who never boxed, right?

Boxing pundits were saying Conor wouldn't land a shot. Apparently we are now painting a narrative where Floyd LET Conor hit him with that uppercut.

Oh no! He got an uppercut. It's meaningless when Floyd smiles it off for the rest of the match. He got outsmarted like Floyd was an anime character planning an entire 12 episode scheme.

He was out of his element, against a guy who has 20 years worth of experience. Saying "all MMA fighters are bad at thinking under pressure" is stupid. Hell watch Conor in most of his UFC fights. He's surgical.

OK? He still failed at understanding what was happening. He failed to adapt to what Floyd was doing. To think ahead isn't a boxing only trait. He couldn't even realize Floyd was fatiguing him. He couldn't even remove the instincts to try MMA shit. He kept throwing punches thinking he'd get the most points or knock him out. Dude's a Grade A dumbass. Floyd knew that.

Oh no! He got an uppercut. It's meaningless when Floyd smiles it off for the rest of the match. He got outsmarted like Floyd was an anime character planning an entire 12 episode scheme.

OK? He still failed at understanding what was happening. He failed to adapt to what Floyd was doing. To think ahead isn't a boxing only trait. He couldn't even realize Floyd was fatiguing him. He couldn't even remove the instincts to try MMA shit. He kept throwing punches thinking he'd get the most points or knock him out. Dude's a Grade A dumbass. Floyd knew that.

None of that makes your generalization any less stupid.

Derwind

I mean when your constantly managing the pace of the fight by continuely inching towards your opponent and not giving him room to run away, whatever hit they land from then on is a giveaway. Legitimate hit or no.

Or do you think Mayweather was playing defensive this match?

dem

Like an anime character... lol. I can't even..

Top Bottom