• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

D i Z

You realize this was a boxing match with an all time great vs a guy who never boxed, right?

Boxing pundits were saying Conor wouldn't land a shot. Apparently we are now painting a narrative where Floyd LET Conor hit him with that uppercut.

Everyone knew Mayweather was going to win. I bet on May by Tko. Now everyone is trying to rewrite the story.

All through the fight they wouldn't shut up about Connor's boxing roots. I'm not sure who to believe anymore.

Ric Flair

Banned
Well, 9 months isn't enough time to learn how to throw a boxing punch that can really hurt a guy like Floyd. It takes years of dedicated training to throw effective boxing power punches. Conor doesn't throw his weight effectively enough to really hurt a guy like Floyd who has seen and felt it all

This just crossed my mind.. Oscar owns ring magazine... He goes on a ran about how floyd is disrespecting boxing because he signed the Conor fight... Yet he couldn't put a legit female boxer on the cover of his boxing publication?
De la Hoya is a salty motherfucker. Him and his fans continually making up excuses for the L he took against Floyd makes me like him even less. I havnt forgot the slick shit he said about Black fighters either.

I feel like all the people giving Conor early rounds were overlooking how much the ref was letting illegal strikes just pass. Do people think if this was Pacquiao doing this the ref isn't docking at least a point?

I feel like if we're you're being extremely generous you could give Conor the first round maximum, and only one judge felt that way inclined.

Yeah, it's pretty clear the ref was giving him A LOT of leeway for the sake of entertainment. People who legit think he won the first 3 rounds need to compare this fight to a typical boxing match.

Yeah, it's pretty clear the ref was giving him A LOT of leeway for the sake of entertainment. People who legit think he won the first 3 rounds need to compare this fight to a typical boxing match.
This shit was a circus from the start. Why would we need to compare it to a real boxing match?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Because seemingly a lot of people don't realize this thing was a circus. Hence my point about people thinking Conor actually won multiple rounds.

They should have both been wearing clown make up and red noses to reinforced this. Maybe edit in a honking noise every time they took one to the nose.

Brannon

From East to North to West to...

B8mLNqo.gif

Never mind, Hurricane Harvey cancelled all trips to the South.

BradC00

Everyone thought Ronda did. Then she lost. Then she came out with some silly fighting videos which looked odd but were in line with her pre-loss videos.

Everyone didn't think Ronda had near elite striking ability. There's videos of her sparring years before she lost to Holly where she looked like a goof, and plenty of professional woman boxers said her boxing is beginner status. Only the MMA analysts and MMA fans thought she had great striking ability. Most boxing fans correctly thought she had world class judo skills but would get slept by women boxers.

People are just more woke to the faults of fighters now because of Ronda. We all saw Conor's videos and laughed and knew he had no chance. Very little was wise enough to pick up that Ronda was a bit of a joke pre-loss.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Is that why plenty of UFC fighters predicted he would win? And if you watch most MMA analysts, you can tell by their body language they thought Conor had a high chance to win it by sleeping Floyd in the first few rounds with his "amazing" power. They just didn't want to get made fun of against it like they did when they said Ronda could box. Chins in boxing and in UFC are completely different beasts. Floyd got hit with an uppercut that would have sent every 145 UFC fighter and half of the 155ers to the shadow realm and he sensiblechuckle.jpg it and kept stepping forward. I had been saying since the fight was announced that even if Conor's power translated into the squared circle, it's nothing that Floyd hasn't felt before. Moseley, Judah, Corley, Pac, Maidana, Cotto all hit harder then Conor. Kind of makes me think that espn sports science crap is fake news.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Conor was just a punching bag by that point

And those were pulled punches, man. Watch that gif. Floyd isn't even extending his arms. He's curling them. They went over Conor's head, then sideways to his face when he closed the gap. Floyd put on an excellent performance, and gave Conor the best possible light to go out on, being waved instead of going down.

Hey now

hey there

hey man

hey...

PKgumEo.gif

Connor won the cutest punch in professional history; you can't take that from him!
I mean, is this what we've come to? Taking a cocky shot that was never meant to do any damage out of context so that people who either didn't watch the match or had a specific horse in the race can go 'hurr durr'?

One thing it did show is the difference in punching power from MMA to boxing.

Conor is known as a devastating puncher in MMA, but by boxing standards his power is average or maybe lesser than that. Floyd had little to no respect it.

Yup. As I've said before, there is a reason MMA fighters go to boxing camps to learn how to punch but boxers don't go to MMA camps to learn how to punch.

MMA inspired boxers don't make it out the amateur circuit if they even make it that far. McGregor is probably the weakest striker Mayweather has ever faced easily.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Floyd is GOAT in boxing.
He would not even last a round in MMA vs McGregor

Which is why this was done in a boxing ring. Connor had to play Floyd's game, Floyd wasn't playing Connor's.

I mean, is this what we've come to? Taking a cocky shot that was never meant to do any damage out of context so that people who either didn't watch the match or had a specific horse in the race can go 'hurr durr'?

Really?

Dude had a clean shot at Floyd and tapped him. In boxing you better swing for the fences when you can, because that shit gets locked up.

Jezbollah

Which is why this was done in a boxing ring. Connor had to play Floyd's game, Floyd wasn't playing Connor's.

Really?

Dude had a clean shot at Floyd and tapped him. In boxing you better swing for the fences when you can, because that shit gets locked up.

To be fair we've already seen the Boxer vs MMA fighter in the James Toney vs Randy Couture fight. And that was another complete joke.

YaGaMi

McGregor had no chance, people were blinded by the hype. Make no mistake if this was a MMA fight McGregor would most likely finish it in the 1st or 2nd round.

Klocker

There are people who think that Conor would've survived the 1:53 still remaining in the round without serious injury.

Which is ridiculous, he was about to get destroyed but ref should have let it go an put him down to end this debate, once and for all.

I mean it is settled in my mind but those in denial that he was just tired. Please.

Derwind

McGregor had 0 control of the pace and direction of the fight, it doesnt matter how Mayweather would last in the octagon and the only reason this fight ever happened was because of how it was advertised. Now a good number of Boxing, MMA & casual fans seem to understand this but to those who don't, please just take your L and go.

This wasn't not nor was ever going to be a competitive fight, and if it wasnt for the obvious hype surrounding it, no one would have needed to see this fight to know what the results were going to be.

Ashhong

Which is ridiculous, he was about to get destroyed but ref should have let it go an put him down to end this debate, once and for all.

I mean it is settled in my mind but those in denial that he was just tired. Please.

Safety and well being of a fighter vs online crybabies. Which is more important?

3Sixty

The one thing that really surprised me was just how little conor's power carried over.

Paulie is a more devastating puncher.

Imagine Floyd without boxing gloves on. I cant even give Conor the octagon win tbh

Eh? Simply allowing leg kicks and nothing else beyond boxing would probably tip the scales in McGregor's favor, let alone if you opened up the rule book to include everything else.

Also- keep in mind that those smaller gloves mean that any boxer instantly becomes a hell of a lot more hittable. We've seen that with some of the top level K-1 guys that crossed over, and K-1 is automatically much more suited to MMA than boxing is.

Floyd would be just as out of his element in the cage as Conor was in the ring last night. The difference is, Floyd was a nice guy and carried Conor for 9 rounds and really even took it easy on him at the end of the fight. Conor would never do that if the situation were reversed.

Klocker

Safety and well being of a fighter vs online crybabies. Which is more important?

Well that wasn't the main reason to let it continue, but I believe it was one or two more flurries premature, factoring safety. Which by default may have silenced the crybabies.

Really?

Yes, really. Connor did that a few times, he goes in slow and if he even put a bit of force or speed behind those hits Mayweather wouldn't have let them get anywhere near him. It was McGregor being a cocky shit and Mayweather knowing it wouldn't do damage.

I mean its a half-decent consolation prize know that a 40 yearold boxing vet would lose handidly in an MMA bout.

A top level pro boxer in the prime of their career would lose handily in an MMA bout to any of the top 10-15 guys at their weight. They'd have to devote several years of training in wrestling, submission and kickboxing to change that. And they'd have to re-learn how to stand, distribute their weight, etc. Very little crosses over from one sport to the other.

Speely

Banned
Would have liked to see it go a few more seconds just to see Conor go down, but I respect the ref's judgement that kept Conor safe. He was due for a major concussion with his hands down like that.

cordy

Banned
Just watched the fight.

Now, I've tried a couple of different martial arts over the years. BJJ, boxing, shoot whatever. And I've had the opportunity to spar with some good strikers and roll with some bjj black belts. While I might have looked competitive to the casual observer, these guys where just being nice, letting me dictate the pace so I could get some time in. If they wanted, they could have ended it in seconds.

I might be completely off but the fight gave me the same feeling. Floyd let Conor dictate the pace at the beginning, but he was never in any danger. Once he decides to pick up the pace the fight is essentially over. These guys could fight 100 times and I see Floyd winning every single time.

See...

This is something a lot of MMA fans aren't taking into consideration. I see the "he lasted that long against Floyd and in his natural realm and if Floyd went into the octagon then-" comments and it's like "well Floyd did what he's always done, he told you what he'd do before the match, told you what he did after the match" and in the match it all went the way he stated. It's not like Floyd didn't go in for the kill because he couldn't, he just doesn't do that, he puts on a show and it made the fight look better because of it. It is what it is.

Maybe Floyd's too smart for people. Idk. Make all the reading jokes you want, you can't read the guy's strategy.

Derwind

If you get knocked down you get 10 seconds.
If you get gassed out it's Tko?

I don't understand boxing.

When you cant even lift your arms anymore to defend or dodge any shots and your legs are giving out on you. With a minute and fifty still left in the round.

Thats called mercy.

Top Bottom