• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Time To End All This Doom And Gloom Over Sony And The PlayStation

I seriously doubt that, especially a post with just that statement and no other details, no other trolling.

So it turns out you haven't really seen it, then.

Yes I have. Do you think I save every troll post on this forum just so I can bring it up again?

And posting something like that doesn't get you banned. It's just an opinion. I've said a number of times that sony should quit the handheld business and I never got banned for it.

A lot of people on GAF have literally no business sense, what a surprise. I mean did anyone actually think Sony was going to abandon the gaming market because the Vita was under performing? Doesn't the PS3 outsell the 360 in worldwide monthly sales? How this indicates Sony should abandon gaming is beyond me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
With the next PlayStation just around the corner, and with more quality Vita games in the works, it’s hard to see Sony in as weak a position as so many believe.

Nor is it likely that Sony would acquire Gaikai and then ditch its hardware. Even though the cloud service will apparently stream games on non-Sony devices, it seems likely that there will be advantages to using Sony devices in some form or another. If Sony can seriously push the quality of games through a combination of new and updated hardware plus some server-side juice, they could make a big splash in the next-gen console wars.

What a compelling and detailed argument.

(that was sarcasm, the article says nothing but if it makes you feel better then more power to ya)

Kyon

Banned
A lot of people on GAF have literally no business sense, what a surprise. I mean did anyone actually think Sony was going to abandon the gaming market because the Vita was under performing? Doesn't the PS3 outsell or about even the 360 in worldwide monthly sales?

yes but ppl only think NA(NPD) is the world(Chart) so they dont care

Miles X

But the doom and gloom is realistic, not some fanboys wet dream. Sony have yet again recently been downgraded, yet to many this is nothing, they stick their fingers in their ears and think nothing of it.

They're like 1 downgrade away from Junk status are they not?

f0rk

It's not a fucking Forbes article, it's by a 'contributor'. Putting Forbes in the title of these threads should be banned, it gives too much credit to some random blogger.

I knew it would be THAT guy after reading the thread title...

But Sony makes the best hardware
Ugh, PS1 wouldn't read discs after a while, PS2 got struck by disc read error too, fortunately PS3 (slim) wasn't hit by YLOD (yet), but that may have to do with it seeing not a lot of use after I got a stand-alone BR player. It doesn't help it's friggin' loud and gets hot as a George Foreman grill but of course Sony claims it's working "within specifications". And these are/were wide-spread problems too, so yeah they don't make the best hardware.

Eideka

Banned
This is coming from an American source; if they weren't so ignorant and internally focussed they'd realise how much stronger Sony is in Japan and Europe than Microsoft (which the media has decided to run with at large as the current 'winner').
It's a conspiracy !!!!

Well, at least it makes a change from all the "Nintendo should pull out of the hardware market " posts. And with Sony Online Entertainment, they at least know how to make free-to-play MMOs.

That's probably because the latter would get you banned.

I just don't think anyone believes that. I've never seen it said.

The Vita? Yea, people have said they should probably get out of the portable business. People have also said that Sony should get out of the $600 console business.

Again, that's not the same thing as saying that Sony should stop making consoles entirely. That's just silly talk and I've never seen it said here or anywhere else, nor alluded to. Maybe Sony zealots need to believe that people out there feel like that so that they can conjure some sort of "us against the world" mentality, but it doesn't really exist beyond the occasional troll that enjoys giving Sony a hard time...but not even they actually want less gaming hardware on the market, even if they're not buying it.

I knew it would be THAT guy after reading the thread title...

Ugh, PS1 wouldn't read discs after a while, PS2 got struck by disc read error too, fortunately PS3 (slim) wasn't hit by YLOD (yet), but that may have to do with it seeing not a lot of use after I got a stand-alone BR player. It doesn't help it's friggin' loud and gets hot as a George Foreman grill but of course Sony claims it's working "within specifications". And these are/were wide-spread problems too, so yeah they don't make the best hardware.

Depends on what he values. A durable as brick but dumb as brick hardware that nintendo makes isn't exactly the best hardware for everyone either.

Boerseun

Banned
In my opinion, Sony are throwing more and more money at big budget games that feature less and less of any actual gameplay, or even just any remotely interesting situations for the player to interact with. At this stage they would be better off just selling their Playstation business (a rumour which has been building steam in recent months has this being the case) and sticking to making movies through their movie studios, certainly something they've had a lot more success with in recent years.

And this "author" cannot be serious! Ditch their TV business in favour of holding on to Playstation? Heck, no. At its roots, Sony is an electronics company. No one will argue that their TV line is in dire need of slimming down. But that is where their expertise lie. Playstation is beyond salvation if it remains in Sony's hands, in my opinion. But Sony can survive, and even thrive, were they to shift their focus back to their core business i.e. home electronics. Do a few things but do them well, that's what'll save their bacon.

A lot of people on GAF have literally no business sense, what a surprise. I mean did anyone actually think Sony was going to abandon the gaming market because the Vita was under performing? Doesn't the PS3 outsell the 360 in worldwide monthly sales? How this indicates Sony should abandon gaming is beyond me.

gaf is just gaf, as usual.
sony is clearly not in the best shape right now, but resources are already being spent on the development of ps4, the vita is a new platform for them (although i doubt they're turning that ship around anytime soon) with "some" support behind it and now they're expanding into ps mobile and i guess the cloud with gaikai and the ps3 even managed to turn things around regarding all the hate and doom the platform got in the first two years.
call me in two years time when the vita, ps4 and mobile/cloud (regarding playstation) are all failing. until then, these are just "nintendo is doomed" threads, but with sony on the spotlight.

sony had a lot of fat for quite some time, but they could only sustain that when things were okay for them (in the ps2 era). they really need to start cutting a few loose ends now though.
nintendo is also restructuring, 3ds isn't gonna be another ds, wii sales fell off a cliff. the markets are changing and companies have to adapt. sony will be doomed if ps4 doesn't acknowledge that, and they didn't realize that with the vita in my opinion. if the vita really doesn't take off and the ps4 also doesn't take off, then they're kinda fucked.

In my opinion, Sony are throwing more and more money at big budget games that feature less and less of any actual gameplay, or even just any remotely interesting situations for the player to interact with. At this stage they would be better off just selling their Playstation business (a rumour which has been building steam in recent months has this being the case) and sticking to making movies through their movie studios, certainly something they've had a lot more success with in recent years.

And this "author" cannot be serious! Ditch their TV business in favour of holding on to Playstation? Heck, no. At its roots, Sony is an electronics company. No one will argue that their TV line is in dire need of slimming down. But that is where their expertise lie. Playstation is beyond salvation if it remains in Sony's hands, in my opinion. But Sony can survive, and even thrive, were they to shift their focus back to their core business i.e. home electronics. Do a few things but do them well, that's what'll save their bacon.

The author said "to ditch it or find some new way to make it profitable again", they need to make it profitable again or cut bait with it they have been getting spanked in the TV market.

Haunted

So this isn't a Forbes Forbes writer, but a Blogger posting on Forbes? Attacking credibility aside, it's not a very good blog post, flying in the face of the actual facts and numbers we have available.

Phrases like "Sony did quite well" to describe the PS3 era or "I have a good feeling that Sony will pull through this [...] intact" do little to help his credibility.

libregkd

Hah, what timing considering a user was just asking if anyone really wanted Sony to leave the gaming industry.

But seriously, how can you say that all of Sony's games are big budget block busters when you have all these quirky little titles they have published on the PSN? I mean I think stuff like Journey, Unfinished Swan and Tokyo Jungle are far from the bloated AAA movie games. I think Sony actually has a nice balance between the different types of titles they offer. I also don't see why Sony would ever get rid of the Playstation brand when its probably one of the few identifiable brands they have.

First of all this is some random blogger. Second of all

Sony did quite well with its PS3
'

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

With the next PlayStation just around the corner, and with more quality Vita games in the works, it’s hard to see Sony in as weak a position as so many believe.

This however has a ring of truth to it. Sony isn't going to exit the console space although I don't know what Vita has to do with anything.

So this isn't a Forbes Forbes writer, but a Blogger posting on Forbes? Attacking credibility aside, it's not a very good blog post, flying in the face of the actual facts and numbers we have available.

Phrases like "Sony did quite well" to describe the PS3 era or "I have a good feeling that Sony will pull through this [...] intact" do little to help his credibility.

What is your avatar from? I love the style.

Also, took you long enough to show up, Slimer. =P

Neo C.

I bought a Sony TV, it's great piece of tech. I still hesitate to buy the stocks though, the competition seems to be faster and less expensive on every kind of market.

I've been calling for Sony to call it quits in the HANDHELD business for a long time now.

But it makes no sense (at the moment) to quit in the console hardware space. They should be focused on making a product that is reasonably priced and set to be profitable early though.

Platy

Oh god .. not again .... EVERYONE knows that Nintendo will never aband*

...what ?

A sony article ?

That is new xD

Depends on what he values. A durable as brick but dumb as brick hardware that nintendo makes isn't exactly the best hardware for everyone either.
N64 and PS1 is a toss-up: N64 fog and blurry, stretched textures vs. super pixelated textures with lots of errors on PS1.

GC was actually more powerful or "intelligent" in your terms than PS2. XBox was even more powerful.

Wii is clearly inferior to PS3 in terms of power of course. In terms of power X360 and PS3 however are comparable.

So even if you use power as the criteria I don't see Sony making the best hardware, especially if you factor in the price as well.

jgmo870

Banned
Soon enough it'll be time for them to exit the hardware business and make a full push for cloud gaming. That's when they should introduce a line of gaming-centric tablets and smartphones in the $200 to $300 range (the Vita's already a natural base) making traditional handhelds obsolete.

The same experience on multiple devices, anywhere and everywhere. The idea behind the PS3/Vita combo fully realized. That's the obvious future for Playstation.

N64 and PS1 is a toss-up: N64 fog and blurry, stretched textures vs. super pixelated textures with lots of errors on PS1.

GC was actually more powerful or "intelligent" in your terms than PS2. XBox was even more powerful.

Wii is clearly inferior to PS3 in terms of power of course. In terms of power X360 and PS3 however are comparable.

So even if you use power as the criteria I don't see Sony making the best hardware, especially if you factor in the price as well.

Power is one thing. There's also all the other capabilities like movie, video, music. And things like region free and online MP. Nintendo either doesn't bother or is a gen or two late.

GC was actually the system I had in mind with that post. A little box that played little CDs you put into it and absolutely nothing else. Strong and dumb as a brick.

It switches from time to time soon it will be back to Nintendo. :)

Thanks for clearing that up, I was getting worried
whew.png

Can't wait until it's Microsoft's turn to have one of these articles. Out of the three, they're the only one I'd be glad to never see again.

Power is one thing. There's also all the other capabilities like movie, video, music. And things like region free and online MP. Nintendo either doesn't bother or is a gen or two late.

GC was actually the system I had in mind with that post. A little box that played little CDs you put into it and absolutely nothing else. Strong and dumb as a brick.
Gaming consoles are gaming machines first and foremost to me. DVD playback and BR playback were nice little extras but if I were given the choice to pay less for less media capabilities then I would have gladly done so, also XBox.

whats wrong with forbes?
They are allowing this guy in the contributor program.

It'll be a while, unless they get stupid and attempt some new handheld shit too.
Zune Play Surface incoming.

Top Bottom