• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Time To End All This Doom And Gloom Over Sony And The PlayStation

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Except the article would be nonsense so why are you waiting for it?
Xbox + Japan. It's a doom on the loop. Or at least it used to be for years on end, but people eventually got tired of repeating the same thing forever.

Otherwise, an argument can be easily made for both Sony and MS that they would do better to just exit hardware business and fold their gaming operations into a licensed property farmed out to a by-standards manufacturers. Same thing that Google's doing with Android, and Microsoft already doing with phone division really.

Meelow

Banned
Pretty much. It's said so much on GAF I can never tell if it's a joke or not.

The only company that's not called doomed is Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony get so much doomed and gloomed articles it's so annoying, maybe Microsoft pays every website to say good things about the Xbox and them.

The only company that's not called doomed is Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony get so much doomed and gloomed articles it's so annoying, maybe Microsoft pays every website to say good things about the Xbox and them.

Microsoft can fall back on their near-monopoly of PC operating systems. Nintendo and Sony don't have fall backs.

Meelow

Banned
Microsoft can fall back on their near-monopoly of PC operating systems. Nintendo and Sony don't have fall backs.

That is true, their are positives and negatives to this, the positive is you may not have things to fall back on but you don't have things to take you down, the negative is the same but opposite.

Not that I want to fuel the flame, but I think there were a shit tons more of media was saying Nintendo should leave hardware, and they were doing better than Sony now.
PS3 has sold 64 million units. Will probably close its account close to 80 million when all is said and done

Gamecube sold about 21 million

I don't see how that is a shit-ton better. If you are talking financially, the two companies aren't comparable.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I actually am the opposite of the quotes in the OP.

I have ZERO interest in Sony software wise. It's their hardware I enjoy even if the software I enjoy on it is almost entirely 3rd party.

DocSeuss

I have been calling for this for a while. However, I do think Sony will do poorly, because nearly all of their games are kinda... well, B-tier. Sure, you get the occasional Journey, but you have to wade through shit like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, and that All 4 One game to get to it.

Sony going third-party would really force them to up their game. Of the first-parties, they had the lowest average metascore last year, after all, and, iirc, it was lower than the third parties as well.

That is because MS makes a shit ton of money on Windows, Office, etc. Sony is losing money on nearly all fronts they are involved in. I think gaming and insurance are their most profitable?

Meelow

Banned
That is because MS makes a shit ton of money on Windows, Office, etc. Sony is losing money on nearly all fronts they are involved in. I think gaming and insurance are their most profitable?

Yeah but I find it annoying how Nintendo and Sony get all these articles. I'm pretty sure gaming is high up their for profit for Sony but after Sony Computer Entertainment lost a billion in March I'm not sure anymore.

GavinGT

Banned
What a terrible article. Nobody is claiming PS3 failed because it sold a little less than 360. They're claiming PS3 failed because it lost Sony many billions of dollars and like 40% of the marketshare generation-over-generation.

Yeah but I find it annoying how Nintendo and Sony get all these articles. I'm pretty sure gaming is high up their for profit for Sony but after Sony Computer Entertainment lost a billion in March I'm not sure anymore.

That's including Vita's launch though. The PS3 section is almost assuredly very profitable or Sony. . MS would have to have one of the worst fuckups in the history of mankind to be in any kind of danger considering how much money Windows and Office makes. Basically they can fail as much as they want which is why there are no doom articles.

That's including Vita's launch though. The PS3 section is almost assuredly very profitable or Sony. . MS would have to have one of the worst fuckups in the history of mankind to be in any kind of danger considering how much money Windows and Office makes. Basically they can fail as much as they want which is why there are no doom articles.

Didn't they spend a ton on R&D though?

GavinGT

Banned
Didn't they spend a ton on R&D though?

This is the part where someone tells you that businesses don't care about making an overall profit on a piece of hardware, because the current year's PNL is all that matters. Who cares if PS3 took a huge chunk out of Sony's cash reserves and rendered them even less capable of making a fiscal comeback? The current year is all that matters.

Oh I didn't mean as a whole. They will never make back the cash they spent on the PS3 with the PS3(hell I don't know about the PS4 either the PS3 was a huge fucking sink), only that it is pretty profitable now.

i9RWqV82tcqED.png

on on larger scale, Sony used to go for more than $100 now barely around $11

Untitled.png

They will be OK BELIEVE

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
OldJadedGamer said:
The marketshare thing is huge.

I'm not sure it is. Realistically most of Sony's losses on the PS3 have come from subsidizing the expensive hardware, and therefore had they sold in greater volume they'd be even deeper in the hole than they are now.

PS3 volume sales have never been a problem, and its current install-base is easily large enough to make good money off from software licensing.

The reality is that PS3 hasn't sold badly by any standards other than their crushing level of dominance in the PS2 era, and even that tends to get overstated by people neglecting to note that a full third of PS2 sales have accumulated since PS3's launch.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm not sure it is. Realistically most of Sony's losses on the PS3 have come from subsidizing the expensive hardware, and therefore had they sold in greater volume they'd be even deeper in the hole than they are now.

PS3 volume sales have never been a problem, and its current install-base is easily large enough to make good money off from software licensing.

The reality is that PS3 hasn't sold badly by any standards other than their crushing level of dominance in the PS2 era, and even that tends to get overstated by people neglecting to note that a full third of PS2 sales have accumulated since PS3's launch.

They could have not shot for the moon with the PS3 and made billions rather than losing billions. They also would not have ceded their marketshare.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GavinGT said:
They also would not have ceded their marketshare.

I think you're underestimating the market value of XBox Live and the Wii-mote and accompanying software massively.

Give credit where its due, both MS and Nintendo have earned their improved performance in large part by offering new experiences to the public.

I have been calling for this for a while. However, I do think Sony will do poorly, because nearly all of their games are kinda... well, B-tier. Sure, you get the occasional Journey, but you have to wade through shit like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, and that All 4 One game to get to it.

Sony going third-party would really force them to up their game. Of the first-parties, they had the lowest average metascore last year, after all, and, iirc, it was lower than the third parties as well.

Is this.... real?

Lol

GavinGT

Banned
I think you're underestimating the market value of XBox Live and the Wii-mote and accompanying software massively.

Give credit where its due, both MS and Nintendo have earned their improved performance in large part by offering new experiences to the public.

It certainly didn't hurt them that Sony completely misread the market. They might not have maintained the 65-70% they enjoyed in the PS2 era, but they wouldn't have dropped down to the 25% or so they're at now.

Kenai

The article title is misleading. Isn't saying "Oh Sony isn't doomed, just their Playstation franchise" kind of the same thing? Well, mayyyybe not, but it would be to me I guess. :(

Anustart

What's going to happen is both Nintendo and Sony are going to make the decision to go third party and develop for each other's systems at the same exact time, screwing them both since they'll both be developers without a platform! Nintensony DOOOOMED!

Nintendo and Sony have officially crossed streams.

Not a single piece of business sense in this article, pure fan boy wank shit.
Can we ban Forbes? They sell web space to blogs willie nillie and allow referenceless articles with no facts or numbers (hell this article just says all the things possible to do and gives no real business rationale behind them. Only reason it gets responses is cause it says FORBES promises some degree of insight - its never true. Might as well create gaf responses for every new thread.

When was the last time anyone was thoughtful about a Forbes article? Learned anything?
I'd like to know.

Its just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...boring meaningless drivel.

Grim1ock

Banned
There's a famous Arab saying.

Nobody beats a dead horse. The day playstation gathers no news at all and becomes irrelevant will be the day sony exits the gaming market. So at the moment highly unlikely.

I like Playstation a lot and enjoy the wide breadth of games on the platform, but Forbes writes some of the worst articles. Even the structure of that article is terrible. I thought Forbes was a very reputable organization? It seems like they let about anyone write articles for them.

d0c_zaius

wheres the dude from the OMG WILL POWERS WAS FIRED topic that claimed it was a sign of the end?

I'm sure he'll be happy in this topic.

I like Playstation a lot and enjoy the wide breadth of games on the platform, but Forbes writes some of the worst articles. Even the structure of that article is terrible. I thought Forbes was a very reputable organization? It seems like they let about anyone write articles for them.

People need to learn the difference between them and random bloggers. I don't treat every blog piece on CNN the same as an actual story by one of their journalists (although CNN is a joke now so that's not the best comparison

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Someone always has to be doomed, it's a needed part of the narrative on message boards and the like. For years it was Nintendo who was inches from death, hell even when the Wii and DS were wiping the floor with the competition Nintendo was the go to 'they're going third party' company. Now after a disappointing generation it's Sony's turn. Sony may be having a tough time currently but they're far from dead.

People need to learn the difference between them and random bloggers. I don't treat every blog piece on CNN the same as an actual story by one of their journalists (although CNN is a joke now so that's not the best comparison

I guess that's the problem, I didn't know they allowed blog stories by outside parties. People take the Forbes name as one of very high reputation so when these "blog" articles come out they carry far more weight than they should. In reality it should be a blog post you find through N4G, than Forbes. This isn't just about videogames as well. I have seen some poorly written blog posts for other industries as well on Forbes. Forbes shouldn't dilute themselves like that.

Forbes really shouldn't be in the title then.

Top Bottom