• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

SOR5

Also, lol @ all the people going "i will never buy a ND/Sony game again!, fuck 'em!"

If that's the attitude you're going to take towards all types of wrong doing in the world. You better start making your own TV's, Consoles, start planting vegetables, buy a farm with animals, design your own clothes... the world is a fucked up place wherever you choose to look, You just don't learn about it all.

Somebody's been sexually harassed and bribed into silence

And the thing that's getting to you is people saying they won't buy sony products

Alrighty

In regards to the situation: I hope the appropriate people are removed from the industry, no place for them and no place for their lack of humanity

If anything good can come from this at all, I hope it means some studios reach out to David and offer him work. Although my brain would, cynically, see that as drumming-up good publicity for themselves. Urgh.

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.
Yep. Personally if I don't know the girl, I am dating someone else, or I'm not interested in the girl it makes me really uncomfortable. Especially if they get handsy.

Surprise sex scenarios can make for a good fantasy but that's all they are. In fantasies you are usually attracted to the female but it doesn't always play out that way in real life.

bluethree

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

I would be very upset. Unwanted advances are unwanted advances, and while it happens more to women from men, the reverse is just as inexcusable.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is not a ND/Sony specific problem (as seen in the past few weeks, i am sure more will come). Your "joke" falls flat.

Well...I mean....this thread is about a Naughty Dog exec who sexually harassed someone and then Sony tried to cover it up.

So in this particular case, it is a ND/Sony specific issue. Naughty Dog does have a history of treating employees like shit.

Shredderi

Piece of shit harassers sweating bullets waiting to get exposed.

I think this is an interesting thing to point out that no doubt many are thinking about. Prominent people of power in the entertainment industry who know they've been doing creepy shit must be sweating them bullets now that more and more people feel empowered to finally out the shitheads.

I don’t mean to be rude...but shouldn’t we wait until he gives proof for these allegations? We shouldn’t jump to conclusions and refuse to buy naughty dog products until we see actual proof for this...

SNURB

I FUCKING HATE how Sony HR tried to bribe the guy to not say anything so as to not diminish their flagship studio's reputation.

That just sounds utterly despicable and it's an awful shame how he's been out of a job ever since. No one should EVER have to go through this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don’t mean to be rude...but shouldn’t we wait until he gives proof for these allegations? We shouldn’t jump to conclusions and refuse to buy naughty dog products until we see actual proof for this...

Why are so many people in this thread concerned about people boycotting Naughty Dog products?

You got shares in them or something?

Why are so many people in this thread concerned about people boycotting Naughty Dog products?

I’m just wondering why we should even boycott them before we see any proof for these allegations...It’d be pretty bad if their sales and production of their games would be hurt due to false allegations.

Ctlead

Banned

I mean... Not every person who works at Naughty Dog is a scumbag. I think it's a bit rash to vilify the whole company for a few bad apples.

sense

Because it is an extreme reaction and all the hard working people making amazing games shouldn’t be lambasted over one or two bad apples. Of course the person responsible and any higher ups /hr people trying to cover it up need to be punished/fired.

labaronx

His point is still valid? Were condemning a whole group of people for the actions of 1 guy? Bill cosby raped 34 women allegedly, am i wrong to not support Malcolm Jamal warner because he was on that show with Cosby? Everything doesnt need to be painted with a broad brush

I think this is an interesting thing to point out that no doubt many are thinking about. Prominent people of power in the entertainment industry who know they've been doing creepy shit must be sweating them bullets now that more and more people feel empowered to finally out the shitheads.

No matter how many cases we know about, I get the feeling it's just the tip of the iceberg. The amount of people that use their position of "power" to sexually harass people must be enormous. Not only in in big indrutries, everywhere. And sometimes even when it's known, people simply get away with it. Hopefully not this time.

Boke1879

Hmm because they make amazing games?

Considering there are many amazing, and good people at ND. That pour their lives into these products that they are proud of. Who continue to push the envelope and remain inclusive. I find it just reductive to paint those hardworking people in a terrible light based on the actions from this one person that we know of.

This sort of assumption is bullshit

And yes a straight male can be made just as uncomfortable by unwanted sexual advances from a woman. Especially if that person is in a position of power, or he is married. And your assumption that any straight male would be happy with "surprise sex" from any straight female is simply laughable

semiconscious

Gold Member

stop being rational! :) ...

time was, it was 'innocent until proven guilty'. now, it's apparently 'he made an accusation, so it must be true!'...

_PsiFire_

So many boycotts in the past year or two.

PewDiePie, Jon Tron, Palmer Lucky - Oculus.

Let's say more people come out and it turns out that, yes some people in Sony put a hush on this and it's gone on for years...do people boycott Sony Products?

samar11

Considering there are many amazing, and good people at ND. That pour their lives into these products that they are proud of. Who continue to push the envelope and remain inclusive. I find it just reductive to paint those hardworking people in a terrible light based on the actions from this one person that we know of.

Yes very true

Astral Dog

Because it is an extreme reaction and all the hard working people making amazing games shouldn’t be lambasted over one or two bad apples. Of course the person responsible and any higher ups /hr people trying to cover it up need to be punished/fired.
His point is still valid? Were condemning a whole group of people for the actions of 1 guy? Bill cosby raped 34 women allegedly, am i wrong to not support Malcolm Jamal warner because he was on that show with Cosby? Everything doesnt need to be painted with a broad brush

People have a right to boycott them, i assure you they will still sell millions of copies and win game awards so you don't have to worry this isn't a random indie developer.

Lightning

Banned
I’m just wondering why we should even boycott them before we see any proof for these allegations...It’d be pretty bad if their sales and production of their games would be hurt due to false allegations.
Relax. This will have zero impact to ND's sales and bottom line regardless of what anyone in this thread or any thread decides to do.

That doesn't mean we can't express to ND our disappointment and disgust if these allegations turn out to be true but either way their sales won't suffer any effect that we'll see.

Papacheeks

Banned
So many boycotts in the past year or two.

PewDiePie, Jon Tron, Palmer Lucky - Oculus.

Let's say more people come out and it turns out that, yes some people in Sony put a hush on this and it's gone on for years...do people boycott Sony Products?

I wonder if someone could ask Adam Boyes and see if he heard anything about the ordeal and shed some light on Sony paying someone off?

T-0800

Maybe they think it is best to not make a judgement without knowing the full story. It will be interesting to see if Sony respond to this news.

Also this.

MrCarter

I don’t think it’s that serious yet for sales to fall down as millions of casual players don’t even know of this, and even if they did, I doubt they would boycott companies due to the actions of a few. Right now, I think the main thing is for the alleged victim to get the right support they need and for those accused to be fully investigated by each company. Perhaps even involve the police.

bosh

I would agree. I don't think anyone should discredited him or speak out against him as obviously it's not easy on their end but taking a few tweets as face value facts without the entire picture or any evidence shouldn't lead to backlash, just exposure to make sure it's looked into again and ensure the correct protocols are taken (fire correct person if needed, maybe additional settlement and help locating another job).

20k isn't a whole lot for "bribe" money and could of been a general severance package which had a clause not to talk ill about previous employer.

Hopefully the correct measures are taken whatever they are

And you are right.
300 people make a living at that studio and they are way more shocked by this than anyone here because it happened at their workplace, with people they know.

The bad apples need to be thrown out and hopefully this situation will have severe consequences, but let's show some respect for the other employees. Not to mention that there might even be more victims.

I have no integrity or moral standards but to want to shame anyone (especially because they're male) from unwanted sexual advances is pretty shitty.

Boke1879

I wonder if someone could ask Adam Boyes and see if he heard anything about the ordeal and shed some light on Sony paying someone off?

Adam Boyes was in charge of 3rd party partnerships. He's not in charge of policy or anything of the sort. I mean he may know, but he probably and most likely he doesn't.

The public faces you see, Yoshida, Boyes, House, Layden etc. are so far up the totem pole and serve different roles I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't hear anything about this.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yes. I'm heterosexual and i'll be upset if that happen. It'll make you feel vulnerable. Just because i'm hetero doesn't mean i want to fuck all woman who come to me

Top Bottom