• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

JudgeB

Banned
This is pretty bad.

This shouldn't have been a launch title.

The One will have plenty of launch titles of high quality without needing one of its heavy hitters launching essentially unfinished.

Forza 5 would have been a great second wave game anyway.

This will be a worrying precedent for the handful of people without internet.

Launch a console without a racing game? No-go.

I gotta be honest, even by GAF standards I am completely fucking baffled as to why this is a big deal. We want the best possible game we can get. They realize that they can use 6 or so extra weeks to add content, smash bugs, refine, build, whatever they need. From day one this console has been sold as a connected-first console, where a connection to the Internet is to be assumed.

Everyone in this thread bitching knows the world in which we live, where modern electronics thrive and depend on a connection to a server for the things they need. The Xbox one is no different. Those of us who see this as a good thing, more content for free, only cost to us is having to sit and have a beer while it updates.

Whether you see a patch or a day-one DLC is essentially meaningless. This is how things work. I am happy to trade (honestly I see no trade off....so I got nothing) for the day one content, and any other content they provide free or not.

The game will great.

And besides, I posit that this "I bought a brand new console day one yet have not access to Internet to properly use it" person that GAF seems he'll bent on looking out for is entirely imaginary.

Requiem

Wait, doesn't the stuff included in the day 1 DLC also have to be tested and certified? If so, then what exactly is the benefit of doing it this way?

pargonta

i'm literally never connecting any of this stuff to the internet just to spite all these philosophies and designs.

granted i wasnt planning on a forza or a xb1 purchase but still.

sounds like a bunch of good content though, for sure.

Gnub

So will the game have a "requires internet connection" sticker or something on the packaging to inform people before purchase?

What about the Xbone console? Will it have a requires internet connection warning on the box? I have not seen retailers communicating this to consumers very well during preorders. Some consumers will get burned by this.

getting out dat launch title is more important thing anything else, who cares if the game isn't done and they charge an arm and leg for DLC to complete the game that likely needed 6-12 months of dev

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I gotta be honest, even by GAF standards I am completely fucking baffled as to why this is a big deal. We want the best possible game we can get. They realize that they can use 6 or so extra weeks to add content, smash bugs, refine, build, whatever they need. From day one this console has been sold as a connected-first console, where a connection to the Internet is to be assumed.

Everyone in this thread bitching knows the world in which we live, where modern electronics thrive and depend on a connection to a server for the things they need. The Xbox one is no different. Those of us who see this as a good thing, more content for free, only cost to us is having to sit and have a beer while it updates.

Whether you see a patch or a day-one DLC is essentially meaningless. This is how things work. I am happy to trade (honestly I see no trade off....so I got nothing) for the day one content, and any other content they provide free or not.

The game will great.

And besides, I posit that this "I bought a brand new console day one yet have not access to Internet to properly use it" person that GAF seems he'll bent on looking out for is entirely imaginary.

My biggest issue with this is that the game disc is a coaster until you download the content. It's strange that it's setup that way, that you have to download the rest of the game online. It doesn't sound like the game is playable until this occurs.

while you have a valid point, the fact that the Xbox One requires an initial internet connection also means that the 'fucking useless shard of plastic' is also relevant to the system itself should MS close servers in future.

The issue that I see is that the game will only play when servers go down if you already have the dlc installed on your xbox. So if your xbone RRODs and you get a new one or you delete your game install to make room for other games, when servers go down, you are SOL and cant even play your disc based game.

My biggest issue with this is that the game disc is a coaster until you download the content. It's strange that it's setup that way, that you have to download the rest of the game online. It doesn't sound like the game is playable until this occurs.
Put a huge sticker covering half the game saying "Internet required" no coaster, unless someone actually wants to use it as a coaster.

Joeki11a

Banned
0004_eiiat.gif

Classic

RoKKeR

The biggest issue I have with the story is this line:

"We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch."

No, you're making a launch game Dan. It looks great but they aren't inspiring a bunch of confidence in MS being ready for launch.

i thought this was gonna be a day 1 patch like some games have but to download parts of the game with a disc too 0_o

what the fuck Microsoft

my decision to wait til titanfall to get an xbox one is looking better and better

Why is everyone so hell bent on conjuring these crazy scenarios where things don't work, instead of the much much much more likely situation of everything working just fine.

Nintendo had a day one thing, but Nintendo sucks at the Internet. MS is really good at servers and Internet shit, comparatively. Better than Sony and Nintendo, at least. They will have as ton of Asure power allocated to the Xbox at launch. It will go just fine.

Crazy scenario, I know.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
What's the big deal about Drivatars and the Cloud this time around? Forza 1 had Drivatars and they worked well. Just go to the Leaderboards>Friends and click ob a name to download.

teiresias

As I said in the other thread, if this really is just because they need to work all the way up until launch, then surely the second print run will have all the content on it and not require the download, right?

It will be a big sign if they don't do that when they print the game again. If they don't, then I fully expect to see required downloads to play any big MS published game's offline modes.

Endo Punk

So the disc is unplayable without the Download content? Wish MS would just cut the guys a break and allow the game to be launch window. I wouldn't be surprised if the main guy whose name escapes me but the one in the E3 conference leaves because of being overworked or something.

I just want to frame this.
Not 3 weeks ago Sony was bricking consoles with an update. Nintendo can't seem to figure anything put. Comparatively...key word....MS has the best infrastructure in place. I bet the launch of the console, the downloads, all that will go just fine because I think MS has decent minds running Asure.

FuturusX

If you don't have the Internet in 2013 maybe you have bigger problems in life than worrying about video game downloads.

People without Internet - the worldwide epidemic sweeping our world.

Not 3 weeks ago Sony was bricking consoles with an update. Nintendo can't seem to figure anything put. Comparatively...key word....MS has the best infrastructure in place. I bet the launch of the console, the downloads, all that will go just fine because I think MS has decent minds running Asure.

FYI - it's Azure.

People without Internet - the worldwide epidemic sweeping our world.
And I am sure that sucks. But then maybe I don't really concern myself because I want the best possible experience for my racing video game that I will play for an hour after my kids go to bed a few times a week.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Keep in mind that the DRM reversal only happened very recently, it's extremely likely the extra time was already part of the dev schedule since they were working under the assumption that all the consoles were going to be connected.

shinnn

This is pretty bad.

This shouldn't have been a launch title.

The One will have plenty of launch titles of high quality without needing one of its heavy hitters launching essentially unfinished.

Forza 5 would have been a great second wave game anyway.

This will be a worrying precedent for the handful of people without internet.
lol... Would be pretty funny to read this again when FM5 comes out as the most polished and best game on the Xbox one launch lineup. Which is very likely looking back at all the Turn10 previous games.

Because that is what Turn 10 should develop to...the data cap addled guy on dial up.

Lol yeah, double down on that why not?

You heard it here, everyone! Don't have a decent internet connection, you do not deserve to game!

This is exactly the arrogance that MS showed in their original Online scheme and it bit them in the ass.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol... Would be pretty funny to read this again when FM5 comes out as the most polished and best game on the Xbox one launch lineup. Which is very likely looking back at all the Turn10 previous games.

can you imagine the shitstorm troll thread there would be if instead of this turn 10 announced the game was in fact delayed? it certainly wouldnt be "oh thank god! good job MS/Turn 10!" like some are trying to imply would be better

Satchel

Banned

I think you misunderstood my post.

I wasn't saying the game will suck. I'm saying it will release unfinished. Maybe I should have said incomplete.

They should sell it as an online required game, or delay till they can ship an offline usable disc.

Lol yeah, double down on that why not?

You heard it here, everyone! Don't have a decent internet connection, you do not deserve to game!

This is exactly the arrogance that MS showed in their original Online scheme and it bit them in the ass.
Games are entirely optional. Nobody deserves them.

We are talking about a game update. In 2013. For a launch title. One time. People are posting in here like it is going to cost a big toe to make the game launch.

Having this patch or whatever pejorative you want to use download whatever they game needs is not only common today, but a net good thing.

Flakster99

You don't say. Kicking and screaming, either way Microsoft will find a solution around their always online fiasco. I wonder how many other games will require a significant download just to play the game offline, or online for that matter.

Though it has improved significantly over these recent years, thankfully, I have lost count how many PC games over the decades that I have bought and installed and the game had major bugs which made the game unplayable, or simply not work without a patch. Waiting for that first patch to fix shit was a significant reason that I moved away from PC gaming for a period of time. It was a pain in the ass, and seeing that transition to consoles pisses me off.

I'd be weary about purchasing Forza 5 Day 1, who knows how messed up the servers will be, nevermind the patch and the eventual bugs that will be included after the install. This screams rushed to me. Buyers beware.

schuey7

The game will great.

Literally this.People get day one patches nowadays so this seems like an evolution of that and ensures we get the maximum content possible especially for launch games.I would not be surprised to see other xbox one and ps4 launch games follow suit.

shinnn

I think you misunderstood my post.

I wasn't saying the game will suck. I'm saying it will release unfinished. Maybe I should have said incomplete.

They should sell it as an online required game, or delay till they can ship an offline usable disc.

How it will be incomplete, when this approach is indeed to give the game more content than it would receive as a launch title?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Unfinished to me implies that the purchaser is being ripped off, I don't think anyone can argue that here. A simple hook up delivers that content.

I've been playing since the NES. For me, buying a game meant I purchased something I could play whenever I want, and with the medium I purchased. Not anymore. This is disgusting to me.

Games are entirely optional. Nobody deserves them.

We are talking about a game update. In 2013. For a launch title. One time. People are posting in here like it is going to cost a big toe to make the game launch.

Having this patch or whatever pejorative you want to use download whatever they game needs is not only common today, but a net good thing.

Again, not an 'update', it's not a 'patch'. That's pure PR spin.

An update or patch means the game is at least functional without it. This is an actual chunk of the data required for the game to even run.

If you can't see the difference, you are beyond help.

Somnia

For all of you saying they should have delayed it, do you realize the backlash GAF would give MS for that too? No matter what route they went with it was lose lose for them in a lot if peoples eyes.

Satchel

Banned
How it will be incomplete, when this approach is indeed to give the game more content than it would receive as a launch title?

It reads to me like the disc will have less content than was intended, and the download will be simply giving you what was meant to be there.

Hence why it won't work without it.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Top Bottom