• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Actually that is exactly what you are receiving. The disc itself is not a complete product.

Unfinished to me implies that the purchaser is being ripped off, I don't think anyone can argue that here. A simple hook up delivers that content.

Would people really rather the game get delayed than experience a small inconvenience? A small inconvenience that actually allows the developer to take more time with the product than would normally be available?

jtb

Banned
Oh I know, it's such an overreaction to something that has never been done before in the history of console gaming.

But then again, you eat up all MS PR as gospel, like the cloud BS.

first time for everything. meh, this spells more trouble for the game (rushed) and the console (really really rushed) than anything else, I think.

If this thread isn't a perfect example of stereotypical NeoGAF overreaction I don't know what is.

I've never seen a group of internet forum users so aghast at the idea of connecting a piece of technology to the internet.

The sky is falling!

Jump back just 1 generation. Heck, it was just 3 years ago. The original Xbox servers are ALL DOWN. All gone. Original Xbox is 100% offline. No online multiplayer. No patches. No DLC. Nothing. If Forza 5 was released then, your disc would be a fucking useless shard of plastic.

Do you remember this shit?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386865

Kyon

Banned
What kind of Clusterfuck DISASTER?

You have to download the REST of the game? A damn mess.

I live

MS stays delivering
iBNURTqODWz4J.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
It's setting a bad precedent. This isn't a day 1 patch to fix a problem that got through quality control. They're releasing an incomplete game and forcing you to download the rest in order to play. It's a DRM work-around, and they're setting a precedent that disk games you buy are never guaranteed to work without connecting to the internet.

As a sports gamer, I've pretty much been used to a similar approach/format for the past 5-6 years (with again "unplayable" in this case meaning game breaking bugs). I honestly feel bad for sports gamers who don't have broadband since this gen (that's about to end) must have been a mess for them.

-PXG-

And I loooooooove the spin of this. This isn't free DLC. This isn't even DLC. This is regular ass content. Shit, this is REQUIRED content. You HAVE to download it in order for the game to even function.

Hopefully for those with bandwith caps, the file size isn't massive. Oh and expect shit to not work and things to be buggy out the ass. Just watch.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
first time for everything. meh, this spells more trouble for the game (rushed) and the console (really really rushed) than anything else, I think.

Yes, this is probably true. As long as it does not set a new standard, I'll shrug it off. If multiple games start doing this, my preorder is canceled as I'm not buying games anymore, i'm renting them till MS shuts down the service.

demolitio

Jesus, that's pretty messed up compared to the usual "day 1 patch or DLC" term.

I have to ask this too. What is the difference with this Forza 5 Drivatar and Real Racing 3's MP component? Is there any real difference that we know of? It sounds like a cool feature but hardly something only possible with "The Cloud" power on the One.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Considering you were defending MS around their work with the NSA and providing back-doors into their systems, I am hardly surprised you're an apologist for this as well

Nah, I'm just someone who doesn't get their panties in a twist over everything. I like how you're comparing this to the NSA thing though, perfect example of the kind of hyperbole we're getting in this thread.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Still not seeing the problem. Last gen games like Battlefield 3 followed the same mold. Release game and update (ie: support) said game for the long, long, long haul. Simple as that. If you dont have an internet connection these days might as well just stick with old school gaming.

Sigh. There are two problems:

1. You cannot play the game at all without this. Even if you argue that you can't play BF3 online without the patches, you can still play SP. The same thing applies to pretty much every game with a SP component. But this now seems to be the exception to the rule, because they need to get the game out at launch.

2. No game has had a (probable) giant patch on day fucking one. BF3 has had these, but they started at the very least 6 months after the game's release.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Pretty soon if this becomes the norm, Microsoft will push you fully into digital. "Hey, you're already downloading half the game already when you get the disc home, why not buy the whole thing online instead?!"

Storm360

I have extremely unreliable internet, and the other day, it took 10 hours to download a 2gb game from Steam.

It's clear where my money is going this generation

Jump back just 1 generation. Heck, it was just 3 years ago. The original Xbox servers are ALL DOWN. All gone. Original Xbox is 100% offline. No online multiplayer. No patches. No DLC. Nothing. If Forza 5 was released then, your disc would be a fucking useless shard of plastic.

Do you remember this shit?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386865

Is there anything to suggest that Turn 10 couldn't put the content onto later pressings ?

while you have a valid point, the fact that the Xbox One requires an initial internet connection also means that the 'fucking useless shard of plastic' is also relevant to the system itself should MS close servers in future.

CLEEK

Is this really a big problem when the Xbox one itself requires a one time Internet connection?

The reason people were up in arms around the mandatory online in the first place, is not everyone has access to the internet from where their consoles will be. In the military, people who travel, at university etc.

When MS backtracked around the online requirement, people thought you could by an Xbone, hook it up once from somewhere (take it to work, round a friend's place etc) then play it offline at home forever.

With this new shit MS is pulling, you can't do that, as retail games won't work offline. The shipped product doesn't contain enough data to even function.

FINALBOSS

Banned
And here's your brand new Xbox One.

And here is your online/patch requirements pamphlet to go along with it. It's 50 pages.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The reason people were up in arms around the mandatory online in the first place, is not everyone has access to the internet from where their consoles will be. In the military, people who travel, at university etc.

When MS backtracked around the online requirement, people thought you could by an Xbone, hook it up once from somewhere (take it to work, round a friend's place etc) then play it offline at home forever.

With this new shit MS is pulling, you can't do that, as retail games won't work offline. The shipped product doesn't contain enough data to even function.

You may have a point if this was the case for every game but it seems to be limited to Forza 5. Do you have any info that all games are going to require a patch before functioning?

Satchel

Banned
This is pretty bad.

This shouldn't have been a launch title.

The One will have plenty of launch titles of high quality without needing one of its heavy hitters launching essentially unfinished.

Forza 5 would have been a great second wave game anyway.

This will be a worrying precedent for the handful of people without internet.

As a sports gamer, I've pretty much been used to a similar approach/format for the past 5-6 years (with again "unplayable" in this case meaning game breaking bugs). I honestly feel bad for sports gamers who don't have broadband since this gen (that's about to end) must have been a mess for them.

I quoted a poster but I didn't respond to what he said, I just put my blinders on and spouted off what I think is equivalent.

Truespeed

This tells me that Turn 10 sucks at planning ahead or MS was really behind on production of their system and took their sweet time getting dev kits out.

This will not end well. Things are bound to get all fucked up on launch day.

Or perhaps Forza 5 should have never been a launch game to begin with. They're being pressured to launch by Microsoft and this is what they've had to resort to.

You can do that with this, it'll just take longer.

Alienous

You can play whilst downloading the content?

So ... so this is some DRM type bullshit? The content isn't actually fundamental to the game, you're just denying access to the entirety of the disc purchased content because the person doesn't go online ...

Does wasting the time and money of consumers make you feel good, you schadenfreudic bastards? Microsoft, do you like hatred?

Is there anything to suggest that Turn 10 couldn't put the content onto later pressings ?

while you have a valid point, the fact that the Xbox One requires an initial internet connection also means that the 'fucking useless shard of plastic' is also relevant to the system itself should MS close servers in future.

That's a possibility, their Xbox One Platinum Hits will not need it.

But how many people are going to wait for that?

Bgamer90

Banned
Hopefully as small as freaking possible, but with them saying that cars and tracks are part of this required download I am going to do a wild-ass guess of 1.5 to 2GB.

We should all bet!

I was thinking around that same size too. Just asking if anything has been confirmed yet though.

Kyon

Banned
The fact that ppl are defending and spinning the mess and incompetence is even more life giving tbh

This is the 1st time a game releases half finished literally right?

CLEEK

Nah, I'm just someone who doesn't get their panties in a twist over everything. I like how you're comparing this to the NSA thing though, perfect example of the kind of hyperbole we're getting in this thread.

No, the NSA thread just shows how you think people that are against something are just over reacting.

It boggled my mind how you were entirely dismissive of anything wrong with MS/NSA/PRISM, and it boggles my mind that you think the same about this.

FINALBOSS

Banned
No, the NSA thread just shows how you think people that are against something are just over reacting.

It boggled my mind how you were entirely dismissive of anything wrong with MS/NSA/PRISM, and it boggles my mind that you think the same about this.

Or the people who think that if you're against something you're instantly a fanatic for the competing side.

Bgamer90

Banned
I quoted a poster but I didn't respond to what he said, I just put my blinders on and spouted off what I think is equivalent.

Was that a criticism of my post?

FYI, it was a response to what he said and I never said it was exactly "equivalent" --- hence why I said similar. Sports gamers shouldn't have a problem this after how things have been this gen.

So silly.

yea, really the internet is normal now, it's not like people don't expect to be connected to get all the best from the games , many have game fixing patches and most people are online at some point or can be for ten minutes

the over reacting... in here :lol
Is this Deja vu? Is this literally not the always online argument people were regurgitating for months after the Adam Orth debacle?

StudioTan

Apparently we are individuals with differing opinions and views on life. Funny how the world works, huh? I'm extremely easy going, I don't get angry often, I let the chips fall where they may, I don't get paranoid, I have fun with my friends, I'm often sarcastic and I live a good life. Things like connecting my console to the internet do not bother me, all my consoles and multiple PCs are connected 24/7. I do find all the hand wringing and hyperbole funny though.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Apparently we are individuals with differing opinions and views on life. Funny how the world works, huh? I'm extremely easy going, I don't get angry often, I let the chips fall where they may, I don't get paranoid, I have fun with my friends, I'm often sarcastic and I live a good life. Things like connecting my console to the internet do not bother me, all my consoles and multiple PCs are connected 24/7. I do find all the hand wringing and hyperbole funny though.

Well aren't you just the cat's pajamas.

So is this like the new anti-piracy and anti-used games strategy now? Release half the product and force the consumer to download the rest after they are confirmed as legit?

Satchel

Banned
yea, really the internet is normal now, it's not like people don't expect to be connected to get all the best from the games , many have game fixing patches and most people are online at some point or can be for ten minutes

the over reacting... in here :lol

Don't get me wrong, id be shocked if people in 2013 that can afford an Xbox One don't have internet, but even I have an issue with this practice.

They should not be releasing and charging people full price for a game that technically is incomplete, and for some, won't be able to be used.

It sets a pretty dangerous precedent to be honest. If the console was always online as originally intended? Then it doesn't really make a difference. But this shouldn't happen for an offline console.

Just delay the game.

BigDug13

Sounds like this game should have been like Driveclub PS+ edition for Gold members, then pay additional for the extra tracks and cars.

Bgamer90

Banned
So is this like the new anti-piracy and anti-used games strategy now? Release half the product and force the consumer to download the rest after they are confirmed as legit?

You would have a point if this was happening a year after launch.

All this shows to me is that the game wasn't ready on time for the Xbox one's launch.

EvB

This is pretty common in the industry with both DLC and day one patches, it was only a matter of time before it extended to core game components.

Top Bottom