• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

whitehawk

Banned
Wait... Does this mean that the game doesn't work offline? Or does it just mean that if you play offline, you don't get the full game.

But then I just realized that in order to play offline, you have to connect to the internet once. Oh my god.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Wait... Does this mean that the game doesn't work offline? Or does it just mean that if you play offline, you don't get the full game.

But then I just realized that in order to play offline, you have to connect to the internet once. Oh my god.

Like I said, it's such a clusterfuck lol.

They are gonna need to hand out a pamphlet with every Xbone sold. I have no idea how they are gonna explain this all.

whitehawk

Banned
Exactly.

Heck, look at the majority of modern sports games that ship with huge problems/bugs on the disc alongside a day 1 patch to fix them.
I don't think it's exactly the same thing. Day one patches right now just fix bugs. This update for Forza contains tracks and cars.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Exactly.

Heck, look at the majority of modern sports games that ship with huge problems/bugs on the disc alongside a day 1 patch to fix them.

It's NOT THE SAME AT ALL

How are people this dense?

You have to download a patch to play the game offline or online. PERIOD

CLEEK

You buy the retail game. Your Xbone is offline. Forza 5 will not work as a big chunk of required content has to be downloaded before the retail game functions.

I don't think this is a bad thing. If it genuinely allows Turn 10 to get more content into the game while meeting the other deadlines then a little inconvenience isn't so bad.

I'd wager that the vast majority of launch buyers will likely be connecting their system online anyway, and presumably Turn 10 can always put the content onto later pressings of the disc post release.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think it's exactly the same thing. Day one patches right now just fix bugs. This update for Forza contains tracks and cars.

No, it's not the exactly same thing but his statement was true nonetheless. Plus every Xbox One will come with a 500 GB Hard Drive so the difference in content when it comes to taking up space shouldn't be that different.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You buy the retail game. Your Xbone is offline. Forza 5 will not work as a big chunk of required content has to be downloaded before the retail game functions.

your xbone wont work without connecting to the internet at least once too.

CLEEK

Is it legal to sell a game that cannot be played out of the box without going online and downloading the rest of it?

Of course it is, as long as they have this information on the game box somewhere.

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it is moral.

It's NOT THE SAME AT ALL

If people want to use sports analogies, this is like releasing Madden without players or stadiums. Not even in the same universe as a day one bug fix patch.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No, it's not the exactly same thing but his statement was true nonetheless. Plus every Xbox One will come with a 500 GB Hard Drive so the difference in content when it comes to taking up space shouldn't be that different.

His statement was not true, name a game on the PS3 or 360 that requires an internet connection to download content to make a game work that is not online only.

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying the fridge has no food?

;)

Bgamer90

Banned
It's NOT THE SAME AT ALL

I NEVER SAID IT WAS THE SAME.

All I did was agree with him. And to be honest, with all of the major bugs that sports games ship with, I would go as far as to say that they are pretty much "unplayable" without Internet.

I obviously mean unplayable in a different way though (hence the quotes).

Alienous

This 'Day 1 patch' culture is arguably the worst thing about this generation.

I remember the time when you could get a game and go. You bought the disc, couldn't contain your excitement on the way home, put it in your console and started playing.

Now? Now I have to allocate patch and installation time. I have to have another activity lined up to do in the interim period before I get to play my game. The one I just bought.

I really wish we could get back to the "we ship a finished product" idea, but it seems very few companies go with that now. Why delay when you can ship a game, and patch the critical flaws as your consumers best test your buggy software?

Mandatory day one DLC, because the authentication process is ... what? What? If you can ship a completed product on the disc, wait? Wait, maybe? If the game isn't ready for launch, don't fucking launch with it, I dunno ... just possibly?

Honestly, the number of whingers about having to download content on day one. If you dont like it, then dont buy it.

I think this is a good move as it ensures the quality and content of the game will be as high as possible at launch. Onwards to the future I say.

Klocker

Exactly.

yea, really the internet is normal now, it's not like people don't expect to be connected to get all the best from the games , many have game fixing patches and most people are online at some point or can be for ten minutes

the over reacting... in here :lol

FINALBOSS

Banned
I NEVER SAID IT WAS THE SAME.

All I did was agree with him. And to be honest, with all of the major bugs that sports games ship with, I would go as far as to say that they are pretty much "unplayable" without Internet.

I obviously mean unplayable in a different way though (hence the quotes).

I honestly don't think you've played many sports games...or seriously any at all.

If people want to use sports analogies, this is like releasing Madden without players or stadiums. Not even in the same universe as a day one bug fix patch.

The content is available to every buyer though, to imply that anyone is receiving a half finished product is asinine considering the actual system requires a one time online log in anyway.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If this thread isn't a perfect example of stereotypical NeoGAF overreaction I don't know what is.

I've never seen a group of internet forum users so aghast at the idea of connecting a piece of technology to the internet.

The sky is falling!

Is this really a big problem when the Xbox one itself requires a one time Internet connection?

It's definitely a sign though that the game was rushed.

It's setting a bad precedent. This isn't a day 1 patch to fix a problem that got through quality control. They're releasing an incomplete game and forcing you to download the rest in order to play. It's a DRM work-around, and they're setting a precedent that disk games you buy are never guaranteed to work without connecting to the internet.

whitehawk

Banned
This 'Day 1 patch' culture is arguably the worst thing about this generation.

I remember the time when you could get a game and go. You bought the disc, couldn't contain your excitement on the way home, put it in your console and started playing.

Now? Now I have to allocate patch and installation time. I have to have another activity lined up to do in the interim period before I get to play my game. The one I just bought.

I really wish we could get back to the "we ship a finished product" idea, but it seems very few companies go with that now. Why delay when you can ship a game, and patch the critical flaws as your consumers best test your buggy software?

Mandatory day one DLC, because the authentication process is ... what? What? If you can ship a completed product on the disc, wait? Wait, maybe? If the game isn't ready for launch, don't fucking launch with it, I dunno ... just possibly?
I feel like perhaps Forza 5 should have been delayed (as Infamous SS was), but Microsoft really wanted it for Launch. PS4 has Driveclub, and they wanted something to go against it.

Somnia

I'm not explaining myself. I made a personal comment on a news story I wrote. Perhaps you should actually click through and read the story before passing judgment, rather than reading the bits quoted in the OP.

Don't listen to him, guy posts dumb shit in every thread I go into anymore it seems like.

jaypah

If this thread isn't a perfect example of stereotypical NeoGAF overreaction I don't know what is.

I've never seen a group of internet forum users so aghast at the idea of connecting a piece of technology to the internet.

The sky is falling!

But what if? Think about it man...

edit: That's an asshole thing for me to say. Just because I have internet doesn't mean everybody does.

Paches

The content is available to every buyer though, to imply that anyone is receiving a half finished product is asinine considering the actual system requires a one time online log in anyway.

Actually that is exactly what you are receiving. The disc itself is not a complete product.

Freki

The sky is falling!

The Keyword here as always is "mandatory"....

Suikoguy

The sky is falling!

Oh I know, it's such an overreaction to something that has never been done before in the history of console gaming.

But then again, you eat up all MS PR as gospel, like the cloud BS.

Bgamer90

Banned
His statement was not true, name a game on the PS3 or 360 that requires an internet connection to download content to make a game work that is not online only.

NBA 2K10 (iirc) shipped with an issue in which the game stuttered and was completely unresponsive when a bunch of players were underneath the basket. Pretty much made the game unplayable if you couldn't get the patch.

This is just what happens these days when games are rushed. Since sports games come out every year (short dev time) they are a really good example. So yes, I agree with him that it's just the next step of current trends.

jet1911

That why the whole thing is so shity, Microsoft should delay their launch. This is even worst than wiiu day one patch...

Why? If MS want to try and set a "precedent" let them. If it blows up in their face we'll all br there to laugh and if there's no backslash, well good for them.

-PXG-

This tells me that Turn 10 sucks at planning ahead or MS was really behind on production of their system and took their sweet time getting dev kits out.

This will not end well. Things are bound to get all fucked up on launch day.

The sky is falling!

There are services that exist that make being online an essential and completely integrated part of receiving that service, like being online in Steam to talk to friends, or to participate in sales. To the point that people come to associate that service with it's connectivity.

MS' XBL policy has not reached that stage, but they sure are committed in forcing connectivity for contrived and unessential purposes. The locking out of content or capability until being online is a common theme, they originally were going to lock out the Xbox One game playback until you checked in online.

MS is clearly demonstrating their looking to sell you something, and then take it back (or in this case not actually give it to you) until you comply with their unnecessary online policy.

CLEEK

The sky is falling!

Considering you were defending MS around their work with the NSA and providing back-doors into their systems, I am hardly surprised you're an apologist for this as well

Paches

Imagine when everyone is hammering the Forza servers to download multiple gigabytes of data and the servers keep crashing nonstop. No one will be able to play this game day 1. Or possibly day 2.

Top Bottom