• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Resolution (1080p), Framerate (30fps), Music, & More Detailed - IGNF

Horizon has been mentioned many times in those 30fps threads as an example of how it can be done right. Along with other racers like PGR and Motorstorm.

Oh I know. Personally I don't have any issues with 30fps for any of these titles, but the people who were causing those threads to go on for so long weren't accepting those games as good enough examples. I was just curious as to whether this will be as big a dust up.

Bsigg12

Any news on the X360 version ?

I loved the original but i went for the PS4 instead of the X1, glad to hear it will be out on the X360 as well, even if it's the same res & frame rate as the original i will be happy.

Other than it's running on the Forza Horizon engine and being made by Sumo, no.

The ratio of 60FPS games getting announced is getting bigger over time. Games I want, on both platforms, are 60fps or will be 60fps. There are exceptions that I will be getting like Sunset Overdrive, but when I buy my Bone/Ps4/Wii-U, It'll likely be for well performing, high framerate exclusives. The exclusives will most likely hit 60. Is it wrong to think otherwise?

personally, yeah, I think that it is wrong to think otherwise. once the cycle kicks in and everyone is spending millions trying to one-up each other on presentation, framerate will be the first thing to go. and there's not as much wiggle room with this hardware as people say, I don't think.

it's amazing that people are even talking about 4k games or Project Morpheus right now lmao

More fuzz over 30FPS. Come on guys, if you don't like it fine, but I really hope every Horizon 2 thread isn't littered with complaints. The issue of 30FPS has already ruined DC and The Order threads, it's like every conversation ends up at that. If it's not to your liking, just don't buy it. Let others who are actually excited talk about it.

shinnn

The physics/response times in Horizon runs at 60hz (double the framerate). It's considered one of the best examples of 30fps without the delayed response felt in other crappy arcade racers that do run @ 30fps.

If you ever get the chance, try it out.

Trust me, it makes a difference. I absolutely can't stand 99% of 30fps arcade racers, but have sludged through them in the distant past.
I think Forza engine runs physics at 360hz.

That quote does not confirm 1080p native though, that is you filling in the blanks.
It very well may mean it is native, but there is no absolute confirmation it is native.
Just that it is outputting at 1080p.
There is a difference.
Yeah but it is a moot point anyway. Everything will 'display' in 1080p.

Amiright?

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/396066138875912192

Realistically they wouldn't say '1080p was important for us' if it wasn't native because you open yourself up for ridicule, but you're right, there is no use of the word native.

Bsigg12

That quote does not confirm 1080p native though, that is you filling in the blanks.
It very well may mean it is native, but there is no absolute confirmation it is native.
There is a difference.

With the backlash Microsoft has received about 1080p native vs upscale, I'm gonna bet they are going to only talk about 1080p when their games are 1080p native.

eso76

The ratio of 60FPS games getting announced is getting bigger over time. Games I want, on both platforms, are 60fps or will be 60fps.

I think that's just because the gen just started and a lot of those games are cross gen or ports, with devs using the spare power in a way that doesn't require them to rework on assets etc.

We're probably getting a few more 60fps games, but i'm not expecting the 30 to 60 ratio to be dramatically different in a few months.

Feindflug

Great news that the game is 1080p, really curious to see what AA they are using considering Horizon's IQ was amazing for a last gen game.

Can't wait to see the game in motion. :)

I'm not about that vaseline look.

ibrKkL1z5w0xds.JPEG

That's vaseline look (the image is also compressed)?

It's not as sharp as native 1080p, but on a proper display that's probably the best IQ I've ever seen on old-gen consoles, together with GoW3.

Sega rally revo had the best as I have seen last gen but horizons was close second.

Maybe, just MAYBE, the same tech guys? Sega Racing Studios gathered people from the UK studios and after its disolution, Codemasters absorved them. Playground probably has ex-Codemasters in its ranks...

Afrikan

Besides Burnout Paradise, which open world racing games have been 60fps?
You have really odd expectations

although I feel 95% of those posters who call 30fps a slideshow etc, are just trolling... I have to give credit to Watchdog Devs, Reflections, and their game Driver for being 60fps and Open world...or should I say, open San Francisco..lol.

On topic though, I'm really curious to see how similar both versions of Horizon 2 will be.

the Horizon engine already pushed the 360 to levels I didn't expect...and I'm sure an even more optimized version will look even better.

Xbox One version (Forza 5 engine) doesn't have to worry about 60fps, and will have the luxury of spreading out extra effects and maybe more access to the GPU, than Forza 5.

Shads

Except the one huge difference.. Ones open world and ones small linear track.

Yah, I have to agree, Open World vs. Track Racer is the biggest difference here, and which is why I enjoy Forza Horizon more than I ever did with Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo. I missed out on Burnout Paradise, which I heard has a similar openness to FH, but from what I've played (though yes, likely limited), FH has been my favorite racer in a long time since Rallisport Challenge 2.

Don't mind the 30 fps as it never bothered me in FH1, and likely will not bother me for FH2. I find it strange that I'm so hyped for a racer, normally I'm hyped for games like Last of Us or Uncharted or Halo... games with a story or epic productions, but this literally gave me the itch to want a Xbox One sooner rather than later.

HeliosT10

The ratio of 60FPS games getting announced is getting bigger over time. Games I want, on both platforms, are 60fps or will be 60fps. There are exceptions that I will be getting like Sunset Overdrive, but when I buy my Bone/Ps4/Wii-U, It'll likely be for well performing, high framerate exclusives. The exclusives will most likely hit 60. Is it wrong to think otherwise?

bD8Eye5.png

Looks like I'm making another Glyde purchase... :O

Awesome, would be interested to know your thoughts when you get it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yuuuuup

Getting me an One.

Maybe earlier than I should be but whatever. I've wanted to play Forza 5 a while and FH2 and Sunset Overdrive coming too solidifies it for me.

OneUh8

This is one game that makes me want to get a Xbox One this fall. Love my PS4, but I love Forza games. Horizon was so good, and everything they have said thus far about Horizon 2 has got me excited. Shame that the focus on alot of discussion on this game will be on the fact that it is 30fps, much like the discussion about Driveclub.

EmpReb

Banned
Welp its Project Cars IT is .... sorry but 60 FPS or bust. And just when I though I was getting an Xbone. Guess that money is going to a racing wheel now. I play on PC.... do not say 30 good ENOUGH. Sorry but 60FPS is the standard and 120FPS is the new 60. Oh well....

There is a difference.

But how is that not confirming Native 1080p? The full quote:

“I think I remember that’s always a hot-button topic, until a game comes out and people go, ‘Oh, this actually really works.’ But 1080p was an absolute must for us; it’s the benchmark for next-gen.”

That is confirming 1080p. Every game outputs at 1080p (upscaled) if they're running sub-1080p. But he says that 1080p was a must, hence confirming that the game runs at 1080p.

shandy706

I think Forza engine runs physics at 360hz.

I believe you are correct with Forza 4/5. I believe they retained much of that and it contributes to the better feel of the game. I'm going off memory, but I remember them talking about input response running at a higher response time (along with physics).

I don't remember if the physics alone retained the 360hz in Horizon. I recall them talking about it being higher than the framerate in order to maintain better control and feel :).

ICPEE

I guess you never visited The Order, or DC thread then.
Don't worry, 30fps is now the biz and is acceptable. Not that i have a problem with framerates. Anything below 30fps (locked) is garbage to me regardless of visual flair. Its just funny to see the flip flopping since the reveal of this title's framerate.

Though i did expect Horizon 2 to have 30fps since it was always going to be an open world title. Had a sample of Horizon 1 and enjoyed it as much as i did Forza 4.

I don't get the DC comparison. Its on a closed circuit and the PS4 is stronger I expect 60 fps. Forza is open world so I don't expect 60 fps. How hard is that to grasp?

Syrus

Banned
The dude said 1080p, its native
come on people quit derailing

I'm excited, I much prefer arcade racers, didn't get forza 5

I wonder how many of those 60fps nazis actually bought and played FM5.

Since, you know, that's like the only next-gen console game available with a rock solid 1080p@60fps experience.

And it also happens to be quite a competent racer.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Forza Horizon ran flawlessly at 30fps, I expect them to keep it smooth for FH2.

I don't get the DC comparison. Its on a closed circuit and the PS4 is stronger I expect 60 fps. Forza is open world so I don't expect 60 fps. How hard is that to grasp?

There are just as many 30fps closed circuit games, I don't understand the 60fps expectations unless it's a sim which are usually 60fps. Which neither DC or FH2 are.

shandy706

Welp its Project Cars IT is .... sorry but 60 FPS or bust. And just when I though I was getting an Xbone. Guess that money is going to a racing wheel now. I play on PC.... do not say 30 good ENOUGH. Sorry but 60FPS is the standard and 120FPS is the new 60. Oh well....

Such a wonderfully thought out post.

Tell us more. I'd like comparisons between this open world Project Cars game and Horizon 2. Must be great having another open world, go anywhere, racer like PCars to fill that Horizon void.

shinnn

If you are looking for a game to rival pCars, the game is Forza Motorsport 5, and it is 60fps.

RdN

Excellent.

30fps was PERFECT on Horizon. 1080p30fps for Horizon 2 will be amazing.

I also like that they are still very focused on the music. It was such a huge part for the first one.

That's vaseline look (the image is also compressed)?

It's not as sharp as native 1080p, but on a proper display that's probably the best IQ I've ever seen on old-gen consoles, together with GoW3.

That image is pretty good, but do you really want to argue what FXAA does in combination with 720p upscaling? I guess some people don't mind the soft/blurry look, but I hope it's a thing of the past and we can finally lay FXAA to rest. There are much better looking post-AA solutions.

ICPEE

DC is doing alot more graphics wise than Horizon 2. I may be wrong but isn't DC also doing dynamic lights all over from headlights, to the sky and everything else in between.
Someone can correct me if i am wrong or better explain.

That said both look awesome and i wouldn't mind having both, but i can't afford both so i stick to my PC.

That image is pretty good, but do you really want to argue what FXAA does in combination with 720p upscaling? I guess some people don't mind the soft/blurry look, but I hope it's a thing of the past and we can finally lay FXAA to rest. There are much better looking post-AA solutions.

I was just defending FH1's results, not FXAA's results.

And you're right, there are much better looking solutions.

But last-gen got its best IQ in games like Horizon, that's not for debate.

Bsigg12

DC is doing alot more graphics wise than Horizon 2. I may be wrong but isn't DC also doing dynamic lights all over from headlights, to the sky and everything else in between.

That said both look awesome and i wouldn't mind having both, but i can't afford both so i stick to my PC.

Every light in Horizon 2 is dynamic.

How are you even coming to this conclusion without an equal amount of footage for FH2? We haven't seen any, unless you want to start sharing your info.

Connxtion

Gold Member

Horizon 2 is doing dynamic lighting for every light source in the world.

& we don't know what horizon is doing graphically until we see it in action, for all we know it could put DC to shame, we just don't know.

Only thing I can say is playground know there shit & they worked wonders with the first horizon.

You've gathered that from 5 screens of FH2?

Top Bottom