• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Resolution (1080p), Framerate (30fps), Music, & More Detailed - IGNF

derFeef

Ok, so I actually worked at Playground back on Forza Horizon 1, and from my experience if they say 1080 native/30fps, you better believe it will be that. I remember working my ass off to get the race track budgets under or at our teeny tiny allocations :p

They are wizards with their tech & it shows with how flawless the performance in FH1 is. Even after two years on from that game I have mad respect for everyone on that team, so I don't doubt this game will be great & it may just force me to buy an Xbone!

Mhhh. Also good job! What are you working now?

jem0208

Completely okay with it being 30 FPS. Horizon 1 was just fine at that framerate.

I don't think it's going to be much of a contest really to be honest... Horizon is much more ambitious in concept than Drive Club. The open world/music festival gives it more of a hook than Drive Club.

Even if that's true there are going to be so many comparisons.

30fps sacrificed for weather!

Totally worth it.

Facism

Ok, so I actually worked at Playground back on Forza Horizon 1, and from my experience if they say 1080 native/30fps, you better believe it will be that. I remember working my ass off to get the race track budgets under or at our teeny tiny allocations :p

They are wizards with their tech & it shows with how flawless the performance in FH1 is. Even after two years on from that game I have mad respect for everyone on that team, so I don't doubt this game will be great & it may just force me to buy an Xbone!

did you play for their 6-a-side football team at the time, too? :p We used to play those guys every other month in the league.

TrueGrime

I don't think it's going to be much of a contest really to be honest... Horizon is much more ambitious in concept than Drive Club. The open world/music festival gives it more of a hook than Drive Club.

Open world. That's all the needs to be said.

Mhhh. Also good job! What are you working now?

I'm at Ubi Reflections on The Crew as well as doing my own indie stuff :)

did you play for their 6-a-side football team at the time, too? :p We used to play those guys every other month in the league.

Haha I did not! There's a couple of studios nearby in Leamington - Codies, Blitz (RIP) & a bunch of others - So I bet that was fun! Where did you work at?
I mainly spent my time there in the park across the road when the weather was nice :)

The first Horizon was simply the best racing game last generation. Street racing, rally racing, doing stupid things(like seeing how long you could keep a drift going on a golf course), and just driving around the map was in general some of the most fun I had on my Xbox.

It all looked outstanding too, both in motion or just sitting there. Personally I'll take the amount of fun I had over being able to post on forums that the game I like runs at 60 FPS.

Random question though, are we going to be driving as generic 20-something guy again, or is there going to be some customization? I definitely don't keep my hair like that.

"Display" at 1080p? What about render?
clever girl
clever-girl-o.gif

Facism

Haha I did not! There's a couple of studios nearby in Leamington - Codies, Blitz (RIP) etc - SO I bet that was fun!
I mainly spent my time there in the park across the road when the weather was nice :)

haha yeh the games got competitive, one of the best teams in our division. Generally clean players, too.

You're talking about Jephson's Gardens? Nice little place. The pump-room gardens down the road was nice to lounge about on, too. I didn't work for any dev there, i'm just a filthy local.

/off-topic.

I really wanted to ask those guys what they were up to after Horizon but it felt too nerdish to bring up at a football match, plus i assumed it was probably Horizon 2, anyway :)

haha yeh the games got competitive, one of the best teams in our division. Generally clean players, too.

You're talking about Jephson's Gardens? Nice little place. The pump-room gardens down the road was nice to lounge about on, too. I didn't work for any dev there, i'm just a filthy local.

/off-topic.

I really wanted to ask those guys what they were up to after Horizon but it felt too nerdish to bring up at a football match, plus i assumed it was probably Horizon 2, anyway :)

Yes! Really nice park. I try to keep in catch up with some of the guys from time to time, but I knew I wouldn't get any dirt on their next game :p NDA's have a lot of power on a person. It's especially the worst thing reading game forums over speculation on a game you're working on or know about before announcements & not being able to chime in. I bet there are a lot of smiles at Playground knowing that people are really excited about this.

arhra

Well, at least you're still in the games industry. Found out recently that an old mate of mine (old WoW guildie from the vanilla/TBC days) worked on Horizon, and now he's gone to the dark side and works in finance...

Can't really blame him, comparing games programmer salaries to city salaries, but still...

Well, at least you're still in the games industry. Found out recently that an old mate of mine (old WoW guildie from the vanilla/TBC days) worked on Horizon, and now he's gone to the dark side and works in finance...

Ahh man, that sucks. I know a lot of people generally do that because those sectors of work generally offer a much higher wage than in the games industry. I know programmers to have settled into cushy software jobs because their skills are transferable.
Edit: Welp, that was a good guess haha. Yeah it's a shame, but it's very true.

I don't even like racing games but PGR and Horizon were so enjoyable.

Horizon 1 still looks fantastic so I can't imagine what they accomplished

Nice. Now tell us what AA solution are you using. Horizon's IQ is the best thing to grace consoles after God of War 3's IQ.

Sure, why not.

It would probably have to look like Forza 4 to reach a flawless 1080p@60fps. It's an open world game. How many of those besides Burnout have done it?

Eusis

I would have preferred 900p and 60fps
I half expect 720p/60fps would've been more doable. Looks nice on Wii U anyway!

But I kind of expected this after Forza Horizon 1, and with the XB1's history it's probably good enough that they hit 1080p at least.

I hope I am wrong, but I cannot shake the feeling this game will get pushed back to next year.. Sounds great so far from the info I read, but how long has it been it development?.. Hopefully for a good long while..

Synth

I wonder if the same people that blasted Driveclub for being 30 fps are gonna do the same over here, it's not like they have double standards, right?

This has been popping up far too frequently in this thread so far. The next person that wishes to make this post better come armed with examples of people that "blasted DC for being 30fps" but are fine with FH2 being the same. It really comes across as "it's only fair because you guys were so mean to Driveclub!".

Hint: Don't waste your time looking for mine. They won't help you.

nib95

Banned
This is my ideal. I know some will vehemently disagree, but in an arcade racer such as this, I'd have actually been disappointed if it was 60fps. Outdoor racing like this is all about the breathing vistas, visuals, lighting etc. Sacrificing a massive chunk of that extra layer of environmental scope and depth for some added smoothness imo is the wrong decision.

On a side note, if anyone lambasted DriveClub for going a locked 30fps, but is excusing Forza Horzon 2 on the basis of it being open world, I'm sorry, but what difference does being open world make to the actual gameplay smoothness when discussing the frame rate and response times? It doesn't. You're letting it off on some tertiary nonsensical semantics. Either a racing game is smooth and playable at 30fps or it isn't.

Fact of the matter is, Playground could have just reduced the graphical fidelity of the game to get it to run at 1080p/60fps, open world or not. Being open world, having dynamic global illumination, having more advanced lighting or thousands of geometric tree's, better textures, volumetric clouds etc etc, it's all just semantics when debating the merits of 30fps vs 60fps.

Giggzy

My Lord... Reading the first page was enough for me to skip to the last. Such idiotic posts...

I'm excited to play my first Horizon game. For people that have played the first iteration, is it like Burnout Paradise? Or totally different?

On a side note, if anyone lambasted DriveClub for going a locked 30fps, but is excusing Forza Horzon 2 on the basis of it being open world, I'm sorry, but what difference does being open world make to the actual gameplay smoothness when discussing the frame rate and response times? It doesn't.

Are you asking that? really? LOL.

On a side note... Is really needed that "DC vs FH2" fight?

"Oh, users are complaining about a game in my console, but usrers are not complaining the same in another console games... my game need some help!"

Top Bottom