• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 Demo - September 11 @ 8:00 PM EST

danowat

Banned
Although there is an overlap, both franchises tends to appeal to a different demographic, personally I find hotlapping in FM more 'fun' than most of the open world stuff in FH, but what is good is that both studios feed each other with tech, neither FH or FM would be as good as they currently are without the other, and let's not forget that there wouldn't be a 'H' without the 'M'!

I would imagine it doesn't make any sense at all when you reduce what I said to a portion of a single sentence and by doing that completely removing the context of what I actually said.

I was specifically talking the Horizon games in relation to the main franchise. I'm aware that neither team works in isolation and that technology will of course be shared between the two studios.

Now, you may not agree with my opinion in relation to whether you think that Playground Games make the more enjoyable games or not. That's OK, I have no issues with people having a different opinion to me, that's the way these things work.

You really could have formulated that a little less offensive for a game that is a team effort between sister studios. Without backing support from Turn 10, MS would not have invested in the type of game that is the Horizon series in fear it would turn out to be Burnout Paradise, loved by the critics, but selling really badly. Without what Turn 10 brings to Horizon, the public would perceive the franchise as MS's competitor to NFS, whereas now it has its sweet spot between Grand Theft Autos sandbox and Forza Motorsports racing simulation and something really different from NFS or the Crew and almost as its own subgenre of racing game.

JP

You really could have formulated that a little less offensive for a game that is a team effort between sister studios. Without backing support from Turn 10, MS would not have invested in the type of game that is the Horizon series in fear it would turn out to be Burnout Paradise, loved by the critics, but selling really badly. Without what Turn 10 brings to Horizon, the public would perceive the franchise as MS's competitor to NFS, whereas now it has its sweet spot between Grand Theft Autos sandbox and Forza Motorsports racing simulation and something really different from NFS or the Crew and almost as its own subgenre of racing game.
Luckily for me, I've not said anything that disagrees with what you're stating here.

Its pretty damn brilliant, this whole idea of Turn 10 and Playground working together on Forza. One to bring out the best of 60fps sim racing on iconic circuits, and the other pushing sim-cade 30fps in a gorgeous open world. Sharing assets and tech and with a release schedule that allows both some time to breathe while offering up new installments every year, and Forza rewards which unlock nice bonuses for following the series throughout.

Everybody wins. This is how you do it.

psychotron

No you're not crazy, it is heavier than FH2.

Is this being looked at as a positive? I'm kinda missing the old feel. I'm sure I can adapt, but you'd think the more arcade over the top antics in this game would warrant more immediately responsive controls.

danowat

Banned
Is this being looked at as a positive? I'm kinda missing the old feel. I'm sure I can adapt, but you'd think the more arcade over the top antics in this game would warrant more immediately responsive controls.
Depends on your personal preference is think, it gives the cars a more weighty feel, I don't mind it personally.

terrible

Banned
Depends on your personal preference is think, it gives the cars a more weighty feel, I don't mind it personally.

It could also just be the cars in the demo. The Centenario at the start feels light and somewhat disconnected from the road like a lot of the supercars in FH2 while all the other vehicles indeed feel more connected to the road. It's not a big difference but in general cars feel more floaty in FH2 I think. I'd need to switch between the two games quickly to really know if my memory is correct on this though.

edit: I just played the FH3 demo with an M4 and then switched to FH2 and used an M4. They are similar enough that I really didn't feel much of a difference. Maybe the M4 in FH2 feels a bit more floaty when turning but I didn't really have to adjust my driving style when switching from one game to the other.

I think it's hard to say from the demo, but I definitely liked the weightiness when the cars come in contact with each other.

The turning felt different but not really hard, at least with the cars I tried. Might be something you can tune out if you don't get used to it.

And what about steering dead zones? Using a controller, turning in Forza always seems sluggish to me until I zero out the dead zones.

Other than the graphics looking improved (despite the obvious pop-in) what have we learned from the demo folks?

-I agree the weight of the cars feel different.
-Sounds are improved IMO. Deeper sound overall even when hitting obstacles
-The female narrator is different but unknown if an improvement at this time
-Seems like there will be more point to point racing in comparison to FH2.

Anything else?

Dalto11

Well, didn't feel like updating my Xbox this evening and ended up playing single player all night and explored. Drove every single road in the demo, smashed 46 bonus boards, did every event, and hit level 14. It's gonna hurt to turn this off but at the same time I don't care to do it all again on Friday.

Doikor

Got to play the demo for a few hours yesterday (after finally managing to getting the wlan to work on my xbox. had to reset it to factory settings to get it to work faster then 10kb/s). Preordered the ultimate edition (mainly playing on PC and it looks like my Thrustmaster TX should be supported too)

Trup1aya

Just played through the demo for the first time and I'm loving it.

I seem to say it each time a new Forza Horizon is released but Playground Games games seem to be leagues ahead of Turn 10 in making fantastic games. I really miss the old games and I know that F6 was a major improvement over F5 but I do think these games have now surpassed what they offer.

I'd even go as far as saying that the really bright, arcade stylings to the cars looks so much more at home in these games.

Not really a fair comment since PG makes Games based on Turn10's work.

Forza 6 is a fantastic racers. I think PG also makes amazing games- But they also have the benefit of being in a more market friendly sub-genre, and aren't boxed into the 60fps performance standard.

JP

Not really a fair comment since PG makes Games based on Turn10's work.

Forza 6 is a fantastic racers. I think PG also makes amazing games- But they also have the benefit of being in a more market friendly sub-genre, and aren't boxed into the 60fps performance standard.
Yep, I've not suggested anything that would contradict what you say here.

m23

Just played through the demo for the first time and I'm loving it.

I seem to say it each time a new Forza Horizon is released but Playground Games games seem to be leagues ahead of Turn 10 in making fantastic games. I really miss the old games and I know that F6 was a major improvement over F5 but I do think these games have now surpassed what they offer.

I'd even go as far as saying that the really bright, arcade stylings to the cars looks so much more at home in these games.

I have to decide now whether I'm going top upgrade to the full game, I would normally be very happy to pre-order this but I do have a few other things pre-ordered and they'll probably be where my gaming goes over the next few months. I'll definitely pick it up at some point though as it should be fantastic.

As a huge fan of the Motorsport series, I wholeheartedly disagree. It's purely subjective of course, so I can understand if you have a lot more fun with the Horizon series than Motorsport.

Playground are masters at what they do, but for me, I still prefer the mainline series to Horizon because I love the on track races too much. Nothing beats turning the music off and listening to the engine and tires of your car racing down the Nurburgring.

^The navigator can take you straight to the nearest event without having to go back to the map. I'm gonna miss it when I go back to FH2.

If you pick up FH3, you're not going to go back to FH2. Unless you're hunting for achievements or want to 100% complete it.

JP

As a huge fan of the Motorsport series, I wholeheartedly disagree. It's purely subjective of course, so I can understand if you have a lot more fun with the Horizon series than Motorsport.

Playground are masters at what they do, but for me, I still prefer the mainline series to Horizon because I love the on track races too much. Nothing beats turning the music off and listening to the engine and tires of your car racing down the Nurburgring.
OK.

Except the tyre sound is awful in FM6!

To each it's own. Personally I'm done with the realistic racing games, going over the same tracks again and again.
I'm glad Horizon takes a different route and feels more arcade, but then again, my favourite race game are games like BLUR, Split Second etc.

GlamFM

Banned
To each it's own. Personally I'm done with the realistic racing games, going over the same tracks again and again.
I'm glad Horizon takes a different route and feels more arcade, but then again, my favourite race game are games like BLUR, Split Second etc.

I feel like FM and GT should ditch real tracks for made up ones like they did back in the day.

Can't get excited for nordschleife, silverstone or yas marina anymore.

Really don't care for real world tracks

Ultimate Edition locked and loaded!

For me, Horizon has now surpassed PGR as the overall best 'arcade' racer, and I'm a huge Project Gotham fan.

With that said, I do think Playground should try and incorporate some PGR elements into Horizon. Namely some tight, well designed street tracks. The open world is great, but doesn't always lend itself well to quality circuit races.

Same goes for the rally stuff. An open world Forza / PGR / Rallisport semi-arcade racer would be truly ultimate!

I feel like FM and GT should ditch real tracks for made up ones like they did back in the day.

Can't get excited for nordschleife, silverstone or yas marina anymore.

Really don't care for real world tracks

Forza has always been a mix of real and fantasy tracks.

Day before full release I imagine, I think the FM6 one didn't go up until the day before the full release though.......not the early access release.

Seems to becoming less and less fantasy tracks though, FM6 only had 2, where as FM4 had 10
Airfield isnt real.

Edit: Rio, Prague, Alps, Airfield.

deadfolk

I'm debating which version to get.

As someone who is not really a car person, just a fan of arcadey-type racing games, do you think the deluxe version makes sense? Is the ultimate version worth the extra moolah?

Theorry

They should put a real racetrack in the Horizon world. That would be cool.
Like that you could drive to Bathurst or something and go on the circuit.

Top Bottom