• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News contributor gets death threats due to Star Wars remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
A cable news pundit is not apologizing after multiple death threats.

Katherine Timpf received the ire of some "Star Wars" fans after saying on Fox News' satirical "Red Eye" that, referring to a tweet the day before, "I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

She also remarked that she wasn't interested in "watching space nerds poke each other with their little space nerd sticks." The comments were not taken in a joking way by fans, including one who posted a 10-minute viral video over the weekend railing against the incident.

Under that YouTube video comments were made such as "I want to cut that blonde c***'s face off and stick it to a thermal detonator" and "Wouldn't it be great if she was beaten to death with 'space nerd sticks.' " One even suggested she be raped. (To be sure, the YouTuber denounced the threatening comments.)

Another message wished a disease on her (one that she says caused the death of her mother). That sort of language continued on Twitter in threatening tweets, many of which have since been deleted after gaining attention from Timpf and the media.

The conservative pundit wrote a column refusing to apologize for the remarks, adding, "Obviously, the totally insane whackjobs who have been attacking me don't represent most Star Wars fans. But the fact that so many adults have responded with so much unhinged emotion astounds me.

"If you are telling me that I should die and/or apologize for making a joke about a movie you like, then you are too sensitive. You have the problem, not me."

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/25/entertainment/fox-news-star-wars-death-threats-feat/index.html

Good...goooood....I can feel the hate swelling within all of you...
general-palpatine-in-star-wars.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
What is it with "nerd" hobbies and death threats? Or do football fans send death threats to women who insult their teams too?

The story has been pretty good at helping me determine which Full of Sith listeners don't need to be Full of Sith listeners anymore.

Whole buncha insecure, sexist, gross people who think she "deserved it" and was "asking for it" just lined up on our facebook to volunteer for the door, too.

DJ_Lae

Yeah, that sounds like Youtube all right.

Also, wrap a little bit of tape around her glasses and she'd have the nerd look down.

VariantX

They can make up bullshit narratives, revise history, say shit that whips up racists and anti-government types into a frenzy, and shit on minorities and poor people all day, but god help them if you insult some peoples love for star wars! Its like the first thing some idiots do is go straight to a death threat.

Luigi87

Yeah, while I don't approve of what she said originally...
"If you are telling me that I should die and/or apologize for making a joke about a movie you like, then you are too sensitive. You have the problem, not me."
She ain't wrong there.

Of course YouTube comments are par the course.
... is there a Firefox plugin that removes them? =D

MattyG

Banned
The story has been pretty good at helping me determine which Full of Sith listeners don't need to be Full of Sith listeners anymore.
His High Exaltedness, the great Bobby the Roberts, has decreed that you are to be terminated... immediately. You will therefore be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful Sarlacc. In its belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years... without the ability to listen to Full of Sith.

His High Exaltedness, the great Bobby the Roberts, has decreed that you are to be terminated... immediately. You will therefore be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful Sarlacc. In its belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years... without the ability to listen to Full of Sith.

HO-ho ho ho ho..

AAAH-hah ah ah haaaaa...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yeah, while I don't approve of what she said originally...

She ain't wrong there.

Of course YouTube comments are par the course.
... is there a Firefox plugin that removes them? =D
There's a plug in that changes them to hero derp

Err, not sure if I agree with the whole let them fight joke here...

...online death threats are a real problem, and shouldn't be used for some lame joke.

a916

Two wrongs don't make a right... the death threats and stuff is something to be ashamed of.

"I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

Also, what an absurd statement. The biggest movie in the last decade outside of Avatar ingrained in mainstream isn't cool? Huh? If you DON'T watch it, you're part of an exclusive group, not the other way around.

liquidtmd

Banned
The 'let them fight' comments, Jesus.

They threw death and rape threats at her.

For her trolling them.

About a science fiction movie.

Guys, plz.

Normally i'd denounce this but it's a fox news contributer so
yeshrug.png

On a serious note it never ceases to amaze me how defensive fanboys can get. I like Star wars but I actually found her comments kind of funny. Nothing to get riled up over at all.

User1608

Banned
She's an asshole for the initial comments but the death threats are absolutely unnecessary and pathetic. Way beyond assholery.

Err, not sure if I agree with the whole let them fight joke here...

...online death threats are a real problem, and shouldn't be used for some lame joke.

This is true. There is a very toxic part of the Star Wars fanbase that makes me hesitate introducing anyone to the franchise because I don't want them exposed to scum like this.

Also should be noted "Red Eye" is Fox News' attempt at comedy-based news shit. So it's highly likely her original comment was actually supposed to sound as dumb as it sounded. Which means not only are loud elements of the fanbase showing off their giant inseurities, they're also not paying fucking attention.

But then again, that's a problem when your audience has a huge problem discerning Satire, and the rest of your network is so stupid that Poe's law is constantly in effect.

Katherine Timpf received the ire of some "Star Wars" fans after saying on Fox News' satirical "Red Eye" that, referring to a tweet the day before, "I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

She also remarked that she wasn't interested in "watching space nerds poke each other with their little space nerd sticks."

The only thing about this that offends me is that she doesn't seem to know what a "joke" is.

shira

This is hilarious.

QUnmHCu.jpg
shits on star wars = a bajillion hits

mWQmQ1L.jpg
shits on star wars fans = bajillion hits

All they want is hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom