• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News contributor gets death threats due to Star Wars remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

This is hilarious.

QUnmHCu.jpg
shits on star wars = a bajillion hits

mWQmQ1L.jpg
shits on star wars fans = bajillion hits

All they want is hits.

Welp. Time to make videos shitting on Star Wars Merchandise.

I know every Fandom has their subset of crazy. But, as someone who's not a Star Wars person, this isn't exactly making their Fandom look all that great.

Dabanton

Getting angry over Fox News is pointless they know how to push all the 'outrage' buttons. Even though in this case the fandom could control themselves a little.

Fox News are like the slime in Ghostbusters 2, they get more powerful the more you rage at them.

Not surprised that the comments and threats come from under a Youtube video by Alphaomegasin. That sad act attracts the worst pieces of shit kind of people that exist.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm not really all that surprised to learn that for some, apparently, death and rape threats are not the problem. The problem, instead, is when these death and rape threats are aimed at people with whom they agree politically. When aimed at anybody else, they are the basis for hilarious and fresh Godzilla related jokes.

Codeblue

Seems like you can't say anything these days without someone threatening to rape and kill you, women especially.

Edit: I'm glad she responded with a very direct "I'm not sorry".

I know every Fandom has their subset of crazy. But, as someone who's not a Star Wars person, this isn't exactly making their Fandom look all that great.

It's amazing, the level of self-imposed insecurity on the part of one of the largest fanbases in the world, for one of the largest pop-culture phenomenons in the history of ever.

Then again, there are large, influential voices in this fandom who make it a habit to support that kind of bullshit. Because fostering a (stupid as fuck) "Us vs. Them" mentality helps them grow their audience, which is their primary concern.

G-Fex

Also should be noted "Red Eye" is Fox News' attempt at comedy-based news shit. So it's highly likely her original comment was actually supposed to sound as dumb as it sounded. Which means not only are loud elements of the fanbase showing off their giant inseurities, they're also not paying fucking attention.

But then again, that's a problem when your audience has a huge problem discerning Satire, and the rest of your network is so stupid that Poe's law is constantly in effect.

fanbases insecure?

Surely you jest!

Fj0823

It's amazing, the level of self-imposed insecurity on the part of one of the largest fanbases in the world, for one of the largest pop-culture phenomenons in the history of ever.

Then again, there are large, influential voices in this fandom who make it a habit to support that kind of bullshit. Because fostering a (stupid as fuck) "Us vs. Them" mentality helps them grow their audience, which is their primary concern.

Some even spew "Us vs Us" BS

Some even spew "Us vs Us" BS

It can happen, yeah, but not really. And a lot of that's just basic housekeeping bullshit anyway.

Like, say, making sure people calling themselves "fans" aren't out there threatening rape and death for going on TV and making super-tired "nerd" jokes nobody would have ever heard about otherwise.

Daemul

What is it with nerds taking the bait and getting mad anytime someone makes a joke about something they like? People need to grow the fuck up.

gosox333

the coolest thing she could do would be to hold her head high and keep comments like these coming

that's understandably not a good idea, but I'd give her props

daffy

Banned
Red Eye is literally the best thing Fox News has ever done. I listen to it on the way home from work. She's hilarious and its embarrassing that people are offended.

Edit: she went to comic con and made herself and others the butt of several jokes. She's literally just kidding but us nerds

Brakke

Banned
It's very healthy to say that Star Wars is trash and that people are nerds. If you can't look at your fandom and say "yes this is stupid" without feeling threatened then you gotta get adjusted.

It's very healthy to say that Star Wars is trash and that people are nerds. If you can't look at your fandom and say "yes this is stupid" without feeling threatened then you gotta get adjusted.

I think it's fine to defend what you enjoy but at the same time we need to be able to look at the whole thing and have a little laugh from time to time.

When you're lashing out and threatening to kill people you should probably put the lightsaber down and seek help.

I think it's fine to defend what you enjoy but at the same time we need to be able to look at the whole thing and have a little laugh from time to time.

When you're lashing out and threatening to kill people you should probably put the lightsaber down and seek help.

From my point of view, the pundits are evil!

Even more than that. If your knee jerk reaction to situations and statements like these is threatening violence, you really do need to seek help. Whether it's making disgraceful Youtube comments or saying disgusting things on Twitch.

Just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom