• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News contributor gets death threats due to Star Wars remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.W.

She not bad

jYVOv3j.jpg

firelogic

Two wrongs don't make a right... the death threats and stuff is something to be ashamed of.

Also, what an absurd statement. The biggest movie in the last decade outside of Avatar ingrained in mainstream isn't cool? Huh? If you DON'T watch it, you're part of an exclusive group, not the other way around.

Um, there are more people on this planet that haven't watched any Star Wars movies than those that have.

Fury451

Banned
Red Eye is satirical...you can find it a dumb comment or whatever, but clearly it was meant in jest.

Anyone that finds these comments okay because she works for Fox News but opposes something like Gamergate needs some self-reflection. Same vile garbage is in play here with making death threats and other comments.

Grinchy

Banned
"If you are telling me that I should die and/or apologize for making a joke about _____________, then you are too sensitive. You have the problem, not me."

I hope she starts filling in that blank for more psychopathic groups in the future.

Star Wars is part of the "geek kingdom" so unfortunately there's going to be a lot of overlap with the men who don't take women seriously. This isn't a Star Wars problem. Boy's club is all.

Bravo internet manchildren, bravo. Next time you're typing that YouTube comment death/rape threat, look yourself in the mirror and wonder how you got where you are right now.

a916

Um, there are more people on this planet that haven't watched any Star Wars movies than those that have.

Yeah, but do you need everyone on the planet to watch it before it becomes cool? It's the IT thing right now and the hype is at a fever pitch, how is being oblivious about it cool?

Meowster

The more insane Star Wars fanbase needs to cool it lately, they've been kinda off kilter. That being said, is it just me, or have I seen a lot of Fox News trashing Star Wars lately? So random lol.

The more insane Star Wars fanbase needs to cool it lately, they've been kinda off kilter. That being said, is it just me, or have I seen a lot of Fox News trashing Star Wars lately? So random lol.

Lots of people bashing Star Wars. I think it's because they find the fans insufferable.

The more insane Star Wars fanbase needs to cool it lately, they've been kinda off kilter.

Had a dipshit on facebook somehow make this story valid justification for their "hating" (their words) Simon Pegg. It didn't make sense, of course, but yeah - there's a fair percentage of people being riled by podcasters/bloggers into acting like attack dogs off the chain.

It's not a good look at all.

ldcommando

Banned
Classy thread. Death threats are OK because fox news is evil plus comments on how she looks. Can't handle all that progressiveness.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Are you sure? I know most of the planet has seen at least one Bond Movie, is star wars really that far behind?

I met know a girl in from england who hasn't seen any (nor star wars or batman), I was like (in my mind), what rock have you been living under. Taking her to go see Spectre (I know the reviews are bad but as a first bond movie, I'm sure it'll at least give a decent idea what the franchise is about).

ItIsOkBro

Are you sure? I know most of the planet has seen at least one Bond Movie, is star wars really that far behind?

Chances are if you're not a space nerd you haven't seen Star Wars.

I met know a girl in from england who hasn't seen any (nor star wars or batman), I was like (in my mind), what rock have you been living under. Taking her to go see Spectre (I know the reviews are bad but as a first bond movie, I'm sure it'll at least give a decent idea what the franchise is about).

Please no I would hate to have Spectre be someone's first entry into Bond!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The comment is probably a bully insult at best, but what's the other side of this? She stays on a side that doesn't get made fun of?

No one should deal out death threats because some doesn't like you, but those comments are very mean.

She made those up. I couldn't think that way on my own unless I wanted to humiliate myself on purpose.

I mean, guys, I know this girl's been receiving legitimate death threats over something tangentially hurtful, but I think it's also pretty important that you guys know that, uh... that I'd bang her, y'know?

She made those up. I couldn't think that way on my own unless I wanted to humiliate myself on purpose.

You can look at her twitter stream (it's linked upthread) for proof she's not exaggerating the level of bullshit being thrown her way.

Also, I don't see a lot of upside in even attempting to pursue a line of reasoning that excuses or justifies those responses. "Look, Death threats suck, but I mean, she's kinda asking for it, right?"

bengraven

Like all comedians?

It's bad satire at worst. It's not bullying.

"I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

To take this line at face value? C'mon.

In fairness, I'm still not sure if it's trolling or bullying, because I'm not sure of her intentions.

But calling out a sub-culture based on generalizations in order to make the detractors laugh or to make themselves seem superior is the definition of bullying to me.

Meowster

It's bad satire at worst. It's not bullying.

"I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

To take this line at face value? C'mon.
Right? It's just a dumb joke and I can say that as a huge Star Wars fanbot lol. No need to hurl out the offensives and take things personally.

daycru

Imagine the loneliness pouring from those keystrokes. Fan fic scrawled in their own feces dripping down the walls.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You can look at her twitter stream (it's linked upthread) for proof she's not exaggerating the level of bullshit being thrown her way.

Also, I don't see a lot of upside in even attempting to pursue a line of reasoning that excuses or justifies those responses. "Look, Death threats suck, but I mean, she's kinda asking for it, right?"

I don't mean it that way, but where do you stop bulling geeks?

There's absolutely no middle ground when geeks or nerds lash out against someone, so we all look bad. I'm just wondering where do those comments end?

Pursue legal action for the death threats, but as mean as I am; those comments are pretty harsh.

I'm not always thin skinned, but people kill themselves over much less hurtful comments. Life is an insensitive mess and life is about as unfair as unfair gets, so chances are you have to be thick skinned or you'll be taken out easily.

You can't necessarily stop the bullying in some cases. By all means, those people shouldn't be threatening her. That's uncalled for. Within this culture, it's like wildfire if you ask me.

In fairness.

Your stance isn't really compatible with the idea of fairness, though. Fairness would suggest you take the time to discover (and it's not hard) who she is, what kind of program Red Eye is, and the context of the comments as given.

Fairness is not trying to come up with any sort of mild justification for people sending death and rape threats her direction because she dared to make fun of Star Wars fans, who are in no way any sort of oppressed, aggrieved minority group in popular culture, much less the world in general.

I don't mean it that way, but where do you stop bulling geeks?

It's not bullying. Again, if you're so insecure as to take lines like that, lines very obviously intended to play as over-the-top ridiculous, that personally, that's a you problem, not a her problem.

This isn't a religion, although I've also seen fans on our fb try to push that comparison in their justifications for the poor reactions to this bit.

Real Hero

But calling out a sub-culture based on generalizations in order to make the detractors laugh or to make themselves seem superior is the definition of bullying to me.

No,that's the basis of most jokes about nerds ever. Death threats in response to that is the bullying.

bengraven

Your stance isn't really compatible with the idea of fairness, though. Fairness would suggest you take the time to discover (and it's not hard) who she is, what kind of program Red Eye is, and the context of the comments as given.

Fairness is not trying to come up with any sort of mild justification for people sending death and rape threats her direction because she dared to make fun of Star Wars fans, who are in no way any sort of oppressed, aggrieved minority group in popular culture, much less the world in general.

That's true. I have not given the Fox reporter my fair and balanced opinion and that makes me a hypocrite. I apologize.

I should add, though, your last sentence? Totally would have gotten your ass kicked if you liked Star Wars when I was a kid.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

It's not bullying. Again, if you're so insecure as to take lines like that, lines very obviously intended to play as over-the-top ridiculous, that personally, that's a you problem, not a her problem.

This isn't a religion.

Right, but as far as atheism is concerned, there is no god, so moral or human beliefs are whatever they choose them to be. It's the same way in life. Our beliefs and how we view things is different. America or FOX News have these reporters and they're given their status by the company. They pretty much have an open outlet to voice their concerns or comments. They say something that not everyone, but maybe a handful of people believe and it sounds bad.

Your Saint or your God is my fictional Star Wars character. Beliefs are different either way. Not everyone is gonna say that that dress is blue or gold. People still see things differently and they will retaliate differently.

People cross that line where their words are harming, death threats are harming, but not everyone takes this social media or comment section thing seriously. They get mad and say whatever they feel like. You're also including dangerous people who will cause harm. This all may sound confusing, but I find the diversity of it all to be an absolute mess. You can't tell everyone not to do something when we all know they'll go a head and do it.

gdt

She's annoying and all but no one deserves this kind of hate. Just let her boring ass stew over there.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
They can make up bullshit narratives, revise history, say shit that whips up racists and anti-government types into a frenzy, and shit on minorities and poor people all day, but god help them if you insult some peoples love for star wars! Its like the first thing some idiots do is go straight to a death threat.

I know, right? THIS is the thing that gets people pissed at Fox News, not all the other BS crap they spew daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom