• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE is gold, first discs manufactured

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I heard about Fuse in all of the EA Partners story, this is genuinely the first I've seen it. I just checked out the twitch videos and I can not believe how boring and dull this game looks. No attachment to the previous design because I must have missed that reveal, but I am surprised that Insomniac made a game look so generic.

I hate to say it because I love the games they've made in the past, but seeing the backstory I do hope it fails because I don't want them or others to be encouraged that this was a good decision.

not really a military shooter, but ok

You know how important covers are, and what they transmit.

bulletstorm-portada.jpg

transmits stomping, brutally toying with enemies and shooting. ALL-AT-ONCE

box_FUSEx360PFTeqCAN_front.jpg

The same guys worn out in their day off.

I dont know, I don't even understand the name and it's so close to being out. Fuse? is it some sort of core fuse energy? Is it because it's a concept that ties everything in the game?

I say that going even a more cartoony way than overstrike was would've been more welcome. Adding tf2-esque lighting with the redeeming qualities of a broad inventory/upgrades/armors/hats (?) and comical animations/dialogues would've made this game stand out from the rest

However, the change from cartoony to not-so-cartoony made people think that the project was lacking creativity from the perspective that you're trying to visually appeal a broad range of players instead of sticking to what people believe you do better. I personally liked resistance so I don't mind going for a more realistic approach. But there's still something off-putting about the game in a saturated market of videogames...

I wouldn't say that. EA has tried to position the game into an empty window (the only game of any note releasing close to it is TLoU), and they'll likely do some advertising. Whether or not any of that will make a difference is another story.

I think the problem right now is that there haven't really been any "Wow!" footage. Look at recent games like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, and so on. They all had (IMO) very impressive trailers early on that helped to build buzz. Fuse hasn't really had that.

It hasn't had any great marketing of note so far. And they have done nothing to curb the criticism except for jstevenson passive aggressively posting here from time to time.

I hope it does well for them, but if not I hope they back to making interesting games and not EA shooter schlock.

Shinta

Banned
I hate to say it because I love the games they've made in the past, but seeing the backstory I do hope it fails because I don't want them or others to be encouraged that this was a good decision.

If we could all collectively agree that it's ridiculous to expect failure to be benevolent education, I would personally be happy. You don't come back stronger from a big console bomb. You fire people and then bet even more on a safe thing.

I don't know why everyone doesn't get that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If we could all collectively agree that it's ridiculous to expect failure to be benevolent education, I would personally be happy. You don't come back stronger from a big console bomb. You fire people and then bet even more on a safe thing.

I don't know why everyone doesn't get that.

I do get that, and if the choice is more games like this or less, I choose less. You vote with your money, and my vote is that this was an awful direction for the game to take and I don't want it to be rewarded.

I'm conflicted. I love and want to support Insomniac in everything that they do, but I don't really have much of an interest in this game from what I've seen so far.

Sadly, I'm not in a position to be throwing money around blindly or else I'd have this pre-ordered already.

This is one of those times where the demo will make or break the sale for me. I've pre-ordered/purchased basically every Insomniac game this gen.

But, I think everyone should at least try out the demo and keep an open mind about it. I'm hoping to be surprised myself.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Despite the negative reactions I'm somewhat interested to see how this does.

Mind you it's more of a stigma. We have seen hardly anything to even say this will be like every other shooter or anything.

And the sad part is Insomniac are a good studio and because of an admittedly bad boxart plus perception of this game being another dude bro shooter then you have a bad stigma.

I'm definitely not sold but am cautiously optimistic because it's an Insomniac game.

I'm conflicted. I love and want to support Insomniac I'm everything that they do, but I don't really have much of an interest in this game from what I've seen so far.

Sadly, I'm not on a position to be throwing money around blindly or else I'd have this pre-ordered already.

This is one of those times where the demo will make or break the sale for me. I've pre-ordered/purchased basically every Insomniac game this gen.

But, I think everyone should at least try out the demo and keep an open mind about it. I'm hoping to be surprised myself.

This is my same position here, except i didn't buy every game.

Mind you it's more of a stigma. We have seen hardly anything to even say this will be like every other shooter or anything.

And the sad part is Insomniac are a good studio and because of an admittedly bad boxart plus perception of this game being another dude bro shooter then you have a bad stigma.

I'm definitely not sold but am cautiously optimistic because it's an Insomniac game.

Insomniac did resistance 2. I want to believe this has the coop goodness without the tiresome MMO mindset of grinfest farming on dull missions (even if they were kinda procedural). Because that was stupid and bothersome and gave me a one-way ticket out of the resistance franchise. Problem here? I see this is following the coop of R2, and I don't have enough information to tell me it's going to be fun after 5 hours.

Lunar15

GAF in Bioshock Thread: "No one buys a game based on the boxart"

GAF in Fuse thread: "That boxart is dumb, no one's gonna buy this"

Splint

Not sure if it was the publishers or IG themselves, but R:FOM was excellent, then R2..was....yeah. Never looked back after R2 to be honest.

Hate to be that guy but this game is near release and I don't know what the hell it's about, have barely seen any gameplay, don't know what systems it's for (PS3/360 I assume?), haven't seen one commercial. I mean really? Also, what a craptastic cover.

you just shoot things and hide behind a wall

People surprised at the hate/lukewarm reception, let's look at the factors:

-The game no longer features the unique artstyle and personality from the initial concept video
-It has been admittedly focus grouped with 12 year olds who thought it looked like something their kid brother would play.
-It's a full priced, generic looking game late in the generation.
-This... This of all videogame ideas is what they went multiplatform for.

Now, fix the first point, and it would have a visual flair about it that demands attention. That would also nullify point #2 in the process. And since people take notice of the design, so too do they get hyped about the world and story of the game. Insomniac feeds off that positive energy and recycles it back into the game and we no longer worry about the third and fourth points because we all want it. We'd have gotten podcasts and juicy media detailing every nook of that stylish world and we'd all be waiting in line on launch day. Instead, we got numerous amounts of damage control and reassurances and even self-referential in-jokes about people disliking the product in marketing material.

I feel bad, I really do. People here got quite excited about that God Mode game because it came out of nowhere with a style that is what it is (as opposed to "not quite what it was when first shown") and has a budget price on download services. If Fuse looked like Fuse when it was Overstrike and was announced as a budget download, I'm sure no one would fret... actually, there'd be that whole "this is what they decided to make as their first multiplat game?", situation.

dreamfall

Still don't like the box art, but some of the recent videos detailing the Characters abilities & their combinations / interactions looked very intriguing.

I love Ted Price & Insomniac- it's a pretty impressive feat to go multiplatform! Kudos!~

I just wish it wasn't a shooter :/

Somebody got paid to design that. Or more likely, someone got paid to run focus groups and then put no thought into it beyond picking the most popular answer to every question and combining them to create this monstrosity

I for one am optimistic. I think it looks like a lot of fun, I like games with crazy weapons and there's still a sense of humor to the characters.

Dragun619

Yea, I'mma buy this eventually just cause I like Insomniac, so I'm hoping it'll be just good fun. The real problem here tho is that cover. Doesn't sit well with me at all.

Since insomniac guys are in here. Is there gonna be a alt/reversible cover for this?

Might just try to make a custom one.

who is this gaf person, sounds like an asshole
You know, I got banned for something like this but don't we all do it? Why is GAF sacred? "America", "Florida", "Reddit", "Kotaku". Sometimes generalizations have merit or at least prove a point. I look at it as the median.

People surprised at the hate/lukewarm reception, let's look at the factors:

-The game no longer features the unique artstyle and personality from the initial concept video
-It has been admittedly focus grouped with 12 year olds who thought it looked like something their kid brother would play.
-It's a full priced, generic looking game late in the generation.
-This... This of all videogame ideas is what they went multiplatform for.

Now, fix the first point, and it would have a visual flair about it that demands attention. That would also nullify point #2 in the process. And since people take notice of the design, so too do they get hyped about the world and story of the game. Insomniac feeds off that positive energy and recycles it back into the game and we no longer worry about the third and fourth points because we all want it. We'd have gotten podcasts and juicy media detailing every nook of that stylish world and we'd all be waiting in line on launch day. Instead, we got numerous amounts of damage control and reassurances and even self-referential in-jokes about people disliking the product in marketing material.

I feel bad, I really do. People here got quite excited about that God Mode game because it came out of nowhere with a style that is what it is (as opposed to "not quite what it was when first shown") and has a budget price on download services. If Fuse looked like Fuse when it was Overstrike and was announced as a budget download, I'm sure no one would fret... actually, there'd be that whole "this is what they decided to make as their first multiplat game?", situation.
I don't know if I agree with everything but I do agree with the late in the generation part. I feel like I have no desire to play a game like this at this point. If it came out maybe 2 years ago I might be more receptive to it for some reason.

Not even sure why. I like insomniac and I'll be there for the next ratchet day one though. Or a new IP similar to it!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I've said it before, and I'm saying it again now. The hate for this game around here is so intense and so irrationally strong it gives the impression of hidden agendas.
It's not a matter of hidden agendas, or of Fuse seeming horrendously bad or anything. It's a reaction to parts of the game industry surrounding Fuse: the proliferation of misguided and poorly-executed focus testing, the convergence toward well-worn and tired shooter gameplay, the killing of fresh and interesting concepts in favour of generic stuff.

Fuse isn't really much worse in this regard than many other games. It was just made at the wrong time, when GAF poster sentiment happened to turn strongly against AAA homogenization, and when some big companies offered great alternatives like Dishonored or XCOM. Three or four years ago, Fuse could've been perceived very differently. The hatred would've been muted.

CronoShot

I literally forgot this existed.

Might be interested if it had less of an emphasis on co-op. Every co-op focused game I've bought this gen has been awful for single player.

You know, I got banned for something like this but don't we all do it? Why is GAF sacred? "America", "Florida", "Reddit", "Kotaku". Sometimes generalizations have merit or at least prove a point. I look at it as the median.

BEcause this is not Reddit, nor Kotaku. This is GAF. And honestly it is stupid to say GAF hates or likes something when it's probably not even the same people posting. We don't crossforum with reddit or anything, so you can call it reddit when you speak of something that appeared on reddit. Because unlike on GAF, they have a karma shit going on or whatever (I don't even enter that site), so probably there's a huge indicator of what reddit community are inclined to favor and what they do not.

I'm betting I'll be seeing that same disc for £10 in my local GAME come December...

... I'm sorry Insomniac, I'm sure the game will be just fine. But you muthafuckas ain't getting paid.

Toppot

You seem to be a fan of their work, yet you want them to fail. To actually hope that they fail is awful, why not just hope it breaks even? Pre judging it as a bad decision before you've even played the game... why are you so unwilling to give it a chance? You say you like their past work, presumably you find the games entertaining, Fuse might well be a ton of fun to, but you don't seem to be willing to even give it a chance because of it's looks and some basic information about the back story. I would of thought that the story you actually play is what matters? A good game will always shine eventually through word of mouth, whether Fuse does well on release or not, if it is a good game it will sell in the long run.

You seem to selfishly want Insomniac to only make what you want, rather than having faith in them to see their vision through to the end. I don't like Outernauts, but I don't wish them to fail, I might think that they should've gone a different direction, and I'll happily voice that. But if they are happy with it and enough people are to then that's great, people are enjoying their work and what more could they want? If you actually cared about them then you would see that people enjoying their games is the real success, whether you like the game(s) or not.

Ahhhah so cute...These guys leached off Sony since the PSX days, their last two PS3 games were so bad

Lets see how long they will survive without Sony's cash
Tell me your thoughts on Full Frontal Assault and why you thought it was awful? =]

8byte

Banned
I literally forgot this existed.

Might be interested if it had less of an emphasis on co-op. Every co-op focused game I've bought this gen has been awful for single player.

Leap pretty much negates those problems. AI is clever enough and follows very strict "class routines" and you can jump into any character at any time.

BEcause this is not Reddit, nor Kotaku. This is GAF. And honestly it is stupid to say GAF hates or likes something when it's probably not even the same people posting. We don't crossforum with reddit or anything, so you can call it reddit when you speak of something that appeared on reddit. Because unlike on GAF, they have a karma shit going on or whatever (I don't even enter that site), so probably there's a huge indicator of what reddit community are inclined to favor and what they do not.

Because that is the website you are posting on.
True. More importantly, though... I used the wrong prob and stats terminology. My 11th grade P&S teacher would be ashamed.

Top Bottom