• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE is gold, first discs manufactured

DTKT

Want free money? Make a slower paced horror game. The people have been suppressed this whole generation and a relatively traditional game like The Evil Within is making us all melt.

And that's no guarantee of sales.

I have never bought an Insomniac title (didn't have cash in the PS2 days, just got a PS3) but I am buying one because of this thread. You guys are absolute jerks and nobody wants to see another talented developer go down.

jstevenson, I'm going into debt this month for you guys.

Ravidrath

This thread is just mean.

It's one thing to say you don't want the game, but it's another to attack JStevenson and the company like you guys are.

The bomba predictions could very well be correct, but it would be nice if GAF could pause for a moment in its fervor and remember that a lot of people worked to make this game.

oneils

66255_700b.jpg

He was great in The Social Network too.

i think Eisenberg is pretty good though. Great character actor. And he showed off his chops in the network. He doesn't ever seem to get the kudos he deserves, though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the only outstanding title they made in last 7 years in ACIT. R1 and 3 were very good. So was TOD. rest of it was....

hold on....

sooo in 7 years of this gen:

R1 - very good
TOD - very good
Q4B - ??
R2 - ??
ACIT - outstanding
R3 very good
A41 ??
FFA ??

so half our games are very good or better (and I'd say Q4B, for a 15 dollar download, is TOD level) - and 67% of our full-price releases are very good or better

Fixed1979

Holy fuck at this thread, it's a swarm off assholes and trolls...and a couple that just seem clueless in general.

Although I don't necessarily dig the cover art I don't really give a shit, I have a wall full of games and I only see the spines. I'll be keeping my eye on this one, the guys at Insomniac have always seemed like a good bunch so I hope this works out for them.

I have never bought an Insomniac title (didn't have cash in the PS2 days, just got a PS3) but I am buying one because of this thread. You guys are absolute jerks and nobody wants to see another talented developer go down.

If you just got a PS3 and haven't played an Insomniac game then you're in for a treat I think. Unless of course you generally don't like the genres.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

*salute*

Sanic

Really great that the Insomniac guys are in here to defend this. I'm for sure gonna try out the demo.

Revven

It looks like the same kind of stupid, charming fun found in Binary Domain.

It sucks that we have this attitude in the industry that B level games aren't worth our time.

Thing is though the concept video for this game is what's made everyone's expectations completely flip upside down. Overstrike showed such promise to be a funny and vibrant looking shooter, but instead they went with the overused srsbusiness military shooter visuals and characters.

It's extremely off putting, tired, and plain. The game really looks like it was focus tested like mad instead of just making a visually "unique" (I say it in quotes because TF2 exists) shooter that could have helped make it stand out from the other military shooters releasing or that have been released this past year.

Gameplay really isn't and shouldn't be your only separation point this late in the generation, to be honest.

The comparison to Binary Domain is kind of unfair, too, because that game isn't really trying to be completely serious (to my knowledge). It also knew what kind of game it was when it was revealed. I mean, yeah, Binary Domain was written off for the military trope stuff too but it didn't go through a drastic visual difference from its inception.

BD also didn't release in a time where the generation is coming to an end; where new consoles were on the horizon. It didn't come out when a bunch of shooters just released (to my recollection anyway). It was skipped for different reasons, to me at least. And it wasn't vehemently disliked like Fuse currently is, it was like, "Binary Domain? Eh, I'm not sure. It will probably bomba." and Fuse it's like, "Fuse? Hahahahaha, that's going to bomba so hard."

Sajjaja

it's better than Overstrike ever was (but is basically pretty similar in terms of being a four-player cover-shooter with four unique characters)

I mean, why they hell is everyone comlaining about it if the gameplay is better? I guess its just that we haven't seen enough of it? I don't know. I hope this game does well, I always liked Insomniac even though I may not have liked all of your games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/ww9qQ83.png

Oh wow. :(

Fixed1979 said:
Holy fuck at this thread, it's a swarm off assholes and trolls...and a couple that just seem clueless in general.

So, stating the truth about R2's co-op mode being too long (esp. for the achievements tied to them) for what was such a short experience (it REALLY needed new co-op maps, really) is being an asshole now?

R2's co-op was good, but because the maps were only 4 and the variations repeated it couldn't handle the grind that they wanted you to do. People comparing the game to that isn't really helping foster confidence in me on it.

Mucudadada

Insomniac Games
I mean, why they hell is everyone comlaining about it if the gameplay is better? I guess its just that we haven't seen enough of it? I don't know. I hope this game does well, I always liked Insomniac even though I may not have liked all of your games.

Because people never even saw footage of the game when it was Overstrike. So, some have made up some magical, fantasy game in their head that they apply to what they think the game used to be.

I just hope those people try the demo for themselves and discover how much fun the game is.

rdrr gnr

Insomniac isn't going anywhere even if Fuse bombs. And that's a good thing.

ACiT and R3 were two of my favorite games this generation.

Fixed1979

Oh wow. :(

So, stating the truth about R2's co-op mode being too long (esp. for the achievements tied to them) for what was such a short experience (it REALLY needed new co-op maps, really) is being an asshole now?

R2's co-op was good, but because the maps were only 4 and the variations repeated it couldn't handle the grind that they wanted you to do. People comparing the game to that isn't really helping foster confidence in me on it.

I wasn't really directing it at anyone in particular, I assumed it would be easy to pick out the people popping in to troll vs the people that have some valid criticisms. I guess the faux rage caught me a bit off guard when I came into this thread.

Insomniac isn't going anywhere even if Fuse bombs. And that's a good thing.

ACiT and R3 were two of my favorite games this generation.

I really want to play R3 but R2 sits on my shelf unfinished and I don't think I can make it through it. ACiT was excellent, actually I dug all of the R&C games this gen, though I skipped A4O.

Because people never even saw footage of the game when it was Overstrike. So, some have made up some magical, fantasy game in their head that they apply to what they think the game used to be.

So I have to ask: Have there been any meetings to discuss the fallout from the premature reveal of the game? Is it something you will try to avoid in the future?

Fixed1979

So I have to ask: Have there been any meetings to discuss the fallout from the premature reveal of the game? Is it something you will try to avoid in the future?

I'd love a good postmortem on this game, not just for the whole Overstrike thing, but working with EA, going multi-platform etc.

I've been an Insomniac fan since the beginning so I'm hopeful and confident that this will be a solid, fun release. I really am. And I've always like james from the podcasts, the college football threads, and for how active he is on the gaming side. He seems like an awesome dude and Insomniac seems like a studio filled with awesome dudes, starting at the top with Ted Price, who seems like the nicest guy in gaming.

I'm just really, really bummed for them (and you here in the thread) that it appears that in their quest to appeal to everyone, they have ended up appealing to no one. There's no buzz, apparently not many pre-orders, and little excitement in the enthusiast community.

I wish that Insomniac would have taken it in the opposite direction and gone fully down the Incredibles-influenced path, leaning much more heavily towards the cartoon and making a Teen-rated game with crazier Ratchet-style weapons that would have appealed to a much wider audience and sell not only to the core gamer, but to the expanded PS3 audience who will be buying cheap PS3s long after the PS4 is launched. Or, go completely crazy and do a Conker-style combination of cartoon and gore. Both would be much more interesting and rare on the surface.

Was Insomniac not interested in doing that? Seems unlikely. Was EA not interested in doing that? Seems more likely, but they seemed to let their partners do their thing?

kenjisalk

Thing is though the concept video for this game is what's made everyone's expectations completely flip upside down. Overstrike showed such promise to be a funny and vibrant looking shooter, but instead they went with the overused srsbusiness military shooter visuals and characters.

It's extremely off putting, tired, and plain. The game really looks like it was focus tested like mad instead of just making a visually "unique" (I say it in quotes because TF2 exists) shooter that could have helped make it stand out from the other military shooters releasing or that have been released this past year.

Gameplay really isn't and shouldn't be your only separation point this late in the generation, to be honest.

The comparison to Binary Domain is kind of unfair, too, because that game isn't really trying to be completely serious (to my knowledge). It also knew what kind of game it was when it was revealed. I mean, yeah, Binary Domain was written off for the military trope stuff too but it didn't go through a drastic visual difference from its inception.

BD also didn't release in a time where the generation is coming to an end; where new consoles were on the horizon. It didn't come out when a bunch of shooters just released (to my recollection anyway). It was skipped for different reasons, to me at least. And it wasn't vehemently disliked like Fuse currently is, it was like, "Binary Domain? Eh, I'm not sure. It will probably bomba." and Fuse it's like, "Fuse? Hahahahaha, that's going to bomba so hard."

Like I said, I'm only basing my impression off of a few trailers I've seen of the current version of it, and while the art direction isn't anything special, I still got a distinct Binary Domain vibe off of it in terms of the tone of the characters, how they interacted, and their general attitude about the severity of the situation they find themselves in.

As to whether or not the final product ends up like what was in the trailers, I'm not sure. You can't however tell me that there is a big difference between BD and this game based on the last two trailers they put out.

I have no real knowledge of the development history of this thing, and from the way you text dumped about it, I'd prefer to stay that way. I honestly don't care, and would rather go into it giving it a fair chance and enjoying the good things about it without having it's supposedly compromised development process there to cloud my judgment.

I just hope those people try the demo for themselves and discover how much fun the game is.

The problem that you're creating for yourself is that you're putting forth this myth that the original art style and the final gameplay product are mutually exclusive. I just don't see how that could possibly be the case unless you just went so super gritty that there would just be complete dissonance.

Also, please don't disregard the fact that Insomniac put out an amazing, completely CG trailer that gave the audience no choice but to create the magical, fantasy game in their heads so. YOU are responsible for that, NOT the audience! How can you not understand that?

That's the first comment from Insomniac in the thread that is outright condescending and overly defensive.

Both Resistence and Ratchet and Clank are really high on my list of major franchises I never got around to playing for whatever reason. But I'm really excited for Fuse, I love Horde mode in Gears and ME3 mp and this looks like a fleshed out take on those. Split-screen co-op and character leveling (love me some Borderlands) are good to have as well. Plus, it's at the end of May when there's gonna be a big summer game drought.

khustla

Banned
It's a shame that insomniac created a generic shooter that's not original at all and went the safe route.They think its going to sell because everyone's blinded by call of dutys success and think every shooter is going to sell. What they needed to do is create something original and that's entirely different from everything else, that is what will get people talking about your game and lead to success like journey did.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's crazy to me that so much trolling is permitted on GAF sometimes.

The GAF consumer is full of more piss and vitriol than the regular human being. No wonder every time I read a post in this thread it comes off as a chemical imbalance on the posters part.

Neverism

Bosskey Productions
At the very least, I will download the demo and give it a fair shot.

timthumb.php

If I end up making a purchase, that big fucker is going down! He might have to wait until the $39.99 pricepoint*, but he'll get what's coming to him eventually.

(* Has nothing to do with the game, just need to prioritize my gaming budget and cannot pay full price for platform exclusives these days. Demo could potentially change my priorities though!)

Aaron

The GAF consumer is full of more piss and vitriol than the regular human being. No wonder every time I read a post in this thread it comes off as a chemical imbalance on the posters part.
Wasn't this way until recently. Not sure about the cause, but this wave of piss only started to deluge GAF a year or so ago. When it was only small pockets of blind hate in the past they had the tendency to be stomped out.

icecream

Public Health Threat
It's not. A lot of people just automatically assume quirkier art style= vastly better product for some reason.
And why not? Even if we go the most pessimistic scenario, and Overstrike was not a completely more awesome product, but the exact same game as Fuse but with the different art style, it would still be the better product. The use of vibrant colors, cartoon-style inspires more fun and engages the player moreso than a gritty overtone and realistic hues. Even the same dialogue would be affected by the shift in art style: the same joke delivered by a rough-looking solider has miles less impact than by a more animated, cartoon-like character.

But hey, the focus testing will pay off, the CoD kids will eat up Fuse and make Insomniac their millions, and that's all that matters, right?

Mik_Pad

Banned

timthumb.php

If I end up making a purchase, that big fucker is going down! He might have to wait until the $39.99 pricepoint, but he'll get what's coming to him eventually.
Wait is that an actual shot from the game?? That looks interesting.

abrack08

timthumb.php

If I end up making a purchase, that big fucker is going down! He might have to wait until the $39.99 pricepoint, but he'll get what's coming to him eventually.

Whoa, where'd that come from? Never seen that screen before. Gives me more hope it'd be an interesting single player experience.

Spierek

I'm kinda surprised how this thread was turned around by dev's posting in here. I certainly wouldn't mind it if FUSE succeeded in retail (even though I'm not buying it because a] no spare cash b] the gaf backlog-breaking challenge), but this whole situation smells so much like Bulletstorm that it ain't even funny (I bought that one day 1).

Bulletstorm was also released by EA, was a shooter with a twist (arguably, an FPS, but it doesn't matter that much), had some marketing (which was mostly poorly targeted, see: launch trailer) and bombed in retail too hard for its own good, even though the game was great.

I'd love a good postmortem on this game, not just for the whole Overstrike thing, but working with EA, going multi-platform etc.
I'd read that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone remember... It was like an arcade game from the 2000s where it had 4 separate cabinets, but they could connect together and you could all play at once? It was a third person shooter. This reminds me of it.

Top Bottom