• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax XXV |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ishii's kind of nuts, if he wasn't nearing the end of his career I'd probably feel really uncomfortable watching some of the stuff he does to himself.

It's getting overwhelming. What are the must-see matches so far?

07/20 - Styles vs Shibata
07/20 - Tanahashi vs Ibushi
07/23 - Ishii vs Kojima
07/23 - Okada vs Elgin
07/23 - Nakamura vs Anderson
07/24 - Yano vs Styles
07/24 - Shibata vs Naito
07/24 - Tanahashi vs Tenzan
07/25 - Kojima vs Elgin
07/25 - Nakamura vs Nagata
07/25 - Okada vs Honma
07/26 - Shibata vs Makabe
07/26 - Ibushi vs Styles
07/26 - Naito vs Tanahashi
07/28 - Goto vs Honma
07/28 - Ishii vs Anderson
07/28 - Okada vs Kojima

Ah, forgot to include Yano/Styles! The Yano match with Tenzan is worth watching as well, just for how insanely Yano gets busted open.

Enjoyed today's show a lot, it was pretty solid all-round. Okada/Kojima was a good main event, I don't know if Okada genuinely was hurt but he seemed a bit loopy in the last five minutes or so. Goto/Honma was fun and I liked Ishii/Anderson. Even enjoyed the Yujiro match towards the end.

The fact that NJPW is keeping Nakamura in the tournament despite him being injured is making it pretty obvious that he's booked to win, usually, you miss a match, and you're out.

Even if he does have to drop out though, there's an easy way to give him the WK shot. Just have him challenge whoever wins the G1 for the briefcase, Nak wins, problem solved.

If he does drop out, I'd love to see Ibushi take it, maybe in a finals against Okada. This would lead to Ibushi defending the briefcase against Nakamura at KOPW and we all know how fucking awesome that would be.

RP912

Banned
Finishing up Day 5 and holy shit what a bloodbath. I'm loving Naito's new gimmick by the way. Dude just doesn't give a shit about the G1 or NJPW lol.

Day 7 starts in about 20 minutes, two big matches on this one with a first-time ever Ibushi vs Shibata match and AJ Styles vs Naito in the main event! Here's the standings after 3 matches each;

Block A

Fale [4]
Ibushi [4]
Naito [4]
Shibata [4]
Styles [4]
Tanahashi [4]
Makabe [2]
Tenzan [2]
Yano [2]
Gallows [0]

Block B

Ishii [6]
Okada [6]
Anderson [4]
Goto [4]
Elgin [2]
Kojima [2]
Nagata [2]
Nakamura [2]
Yujiro [2]
Honma [0]

Elgin's doing pretty well for himself, hyped for both his matches with Honma & Ishii. Osaka are going to boo the fuck out of him for beating Honma though, lol.

Lowmelody

whT6a7S.png

Lorde steps in to the ring

Naito's slow undressing entrance is the best thing of his heel turn.

I'm fully on the Naito train now. His finisher looked better this time, too.

Naito/Syles and Shibata/Ibushi were both great. I paid very little attention to Tenzan/Makabe, and i'm disappointed my boy Yano had to take a pin from Gallows. Fale/Tanadough was passable.

ghostmind

Watching Day 7, and I'm confused. There are obviously announcers - they pan over them a few times - but there is no commentary for the matches? Is the commentary exclusive to one of the Japanese networks?

It would have helped the quieter crowd tonight.

It's because SamuraiTV are dicks :p

They started up a competing streaming service (only available to Japanese customers), so although we still get to watch the show on NJPW World the commentary is exclusive to SamuraiTV. Same reason we aren't getting the audio of the interviews at intermission.

So yeah, only the TV Asahi shows have full production this year, which is a shame.

ghostmind

It's because SamuraiTV are dicks :p

They started up a competing streaming service (only available to Japanese customers), so although we still get to watch the show on NJPW World the commentary is exclusive to SamuraiTV. Same reason we aren't getting the audio of the interviews at intermission.

So yeah, only the TV Asahi shows have full production this year, which is a shame.

Fuck, I'm surprised NJPW would let that happen, but maybe the overseas numbers aren't big enough for it to matter financially, compared to their domestic deals.

I was wondering what happened to the interviews - they really added to the stories that each wrestler was going through as they progressed through the tournament.

I guess we are still only paying around $20, rather than over $100 like last year, but still that sucks.

Fuck, I'm surprised NJPW would let that happen, but maybe the overseas numbers aren't big enough for it to matter financially, compared to their domestic deals.

Pretty much, they needed a broadcaster to help them out with NJPW World and TV Asahi represent the only real mainstream coverage they get, so they went with them - Samurai TV weren't happy about it and it probably played some part in them starting their own competing service. Now, if only they'd pull their head out of their asses and let international customers subscribe, there wouldn't be a problem. Doesn't look like that'll happen, though. At least we still get to watch the shows.

Jamie OD

Yeah the last three matches are recommended viewing. Elgin has performed great so far and works real well with Honma. Ishii Vs Nakamura was as hard hitting as you'd expect even with Nakamura's injury. Okada Vs Goto is a great champ vs champ match.

Aiii

So not worth it
Catching up on this past weekend's events. Seeing Nakamura's injury reminds me of a passage from Daniel Bryan's book, where he talks about working injured in Japan. Where a Western wrestler would look out for his opponents legit injury, making sure to focus on other parts of the body, the Japanese mentality is to deliberately focus on the injured limb, to add to the realism of the fight.

Long story short, poor Nakamura is going to go through some shit this coming month. I can only imagine he's booked to win or at least go through to the final, because his arm looks to be pretty fucked up.

G1 Day 10 kicks off in about half an hour - looks like a good card today, there's Naito & KUSHIDA vs Ibushi & Dorada a few matches in, plus some big G1 matches with Kojima vs Honma, Okada vs Anderson & Goto vs Nakamura.

Dion314

Neo Member
Just signed up for World yesterday just to watch the G1. I'm slowly catching up (based off the list of must see matches) and caught Nakamura/Goto and Okada/Anderson which were both awesome!

I'm relatively new to puro so this entire tournament has been amazing so far!

I haven't managed to watch it yet - there's a message on NJPW World that the video has been taken down due to sound issues and will be put back up later.

Just watched last night.

Naito/Ibushi was freaking awesome as expected.

Also, gotta love MY BOY being the ultimate troll with the win over Shibata thus ruining his momentum. :) YA'LL GOT YANOWNED!

Just watched last night.

Naito/Ibushi was freaking awesome as expected.

Also, gotta love MY BOY being the ultimate troll with the win over Shibata thus ruining his momentum. :) YA'LL GOT YANOWNED!

I've found Yano really enjoyable in the tournament so far, it's always fun to see him go over.

Naito/Ibushi was great, Syles/Makabe was ok but I find Makabe pretty dull to watch.

Last single-cam show today, thankfully. Three more shows are multi-cam with no commentary and four more with full production. Card looks pretty good today - all the G1 matches look exciting, Nakamura vs Yujiro excluded. Hyped for that Okada vs Ishii main event.

Naito needs a longer themesong.

Yeah, it's a bit jarring that he hasn't changed his theme - needs something more LOS INGOBERNABLES than Stardust Genius.

Nisa65

I think Honma is fast becoming a favourite of mine. That was a fun match between him and Anderson tonight. The crowds are always behind him despite the inevitable loss.

Anyone know when ticket sales for Wrestle Kingdom usually get announced? Planning in being in Tokyo around Christmas and New Year's so I fancy another trip to Tokyo Dome before heading back to the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom