• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax XXV |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting for that interpromotional Cena vs. Tanahashi match that lasts 2 hours, features them kicking out of 50 finishers and ends in a double pin. After which they hop up unphased not selling any punishment from the match, raise each other's arms up and pose for the crowd before telling the press how each other was their greatest opponent ever and like looking in a mirror.

Considering NJPW and WWE are on speaking terms again with the Liger deal, that's not out of the realm of possibility.

Look, I'm as pissed as the next guy that we aren't getting the AJ/Nak dream match. That being said, the difference between Tanadough vs. Nak or Okada is that unlike Cena/Orton, both feuds have made for amazing ****+ matches, because even though Cenahashi is booked the way he is, he's still 50 times the wrestler Cena is. Plus it adds a bit of intrigue to the proceedings... If Nak was to face AJ, there's no question who is winning. Against Tanahashi however, who knows.

I'm still waiting for that interpromotional Cena vs. Tanahashi match that lasts 2 hours, features them kicking out of 50 finishers and ends in a double pin. After which they hop up unphased not selling any punishment from the match, raise each other's arms up and pose for the crowd before telling the press how each other was their greatest opponent ever and like looking in a mirror.

"Who's that in the ring with Cena, dammit? Does he work for Shane in China?"

I always said they'd never give away a money match like AJ vs Nakamura on a show that was already sold out - last year they had the Seibu Dome to pack, so Okada vs Nakamura made sense from that perspective, but this year the final day sold out super quick so it doesn't matter if the final match is a repeat.

Considering NJPW and WWE are on speaking terms again with the Liger deal, that's not out of the realm of possibility.

Look, I'm as pissed as the next guy that we aren't getting the AJ/Nak dream match. That being said, the difference between Tanadough vs. Nak or Okada is that unlike Cena/Orton, both feuds have made for amazing ****+ matches, because even though Cenahashi is booked the way he is, he's still 50 times the wrestler Cena is. Plus it adds a bit of intrigue to the proceedings... If Nak was to face AJ, there's no question who is winning. Against Tanahashi however, who knows.

That is true, Tanadough is great in the ring, something I've always refused to say about his WWE counterpart. Like WWE though NJPW will hold back some amazing talent and squander potential just to keep their 'guys' on top. Why, for example, is Shibata jobbing to Gallows? Hell, why is white-hot Naito jobbing to Gallows? I know the answer is 'maths' but come on.

Ugh... i'm being a mark. In my thirties. Ignore me.

Gonzalez

Banned
That is true, Tanadough is great in the ring, something I've always refused to say about his WWE counterpart. Like WWE though NJPW will hold back some amazing talent and squander potential just to keep their 'guys' on top. Why, for example, is Shibata jobbing to Gallows? Hell, why is white-hot Naito jobbing to Gallows? I know the answer is 'maths' but come on.
Shibata is an asshole prick who left the company high, and dry for a failed MMA career. He ain't getting a real main event run, unless Tana, and Naka die all of a sudden. Naito is just starting his heel run. He still isn't quite ready yet. Needs to flesh out his move set, and his look. I can see him bringing his stable mates over, and be the new hot shit group by next G1.

Shibata is an asshole prick who left the company high, and dry for a failed MMA career. He ain't getting a real main event run, unless Tana, and Naka die all of a sudden. Naito is just starting his heel run. He still isn't quite ready yet. Needs to flesh out his move set, and his look. I can see him bringing his stable mates over, and be the new hot shit group by next G1.

That could be fun. Hopefully next year Omega will have moved up too.

That said, it doesn't really matter who's in next year, because we know they're all going to fall to the mighty Honma.

Barrage

Do I see marks throwing shade on Wrestler Of The Year 2015 John Cena on this page? Damn,does John gotta put out another classic at Summerslam?

If WWE had been booked like G1 this year, people would be weeping into their keyboards. People are STILL crying over Owens losing, for fuck's sake. And don't give me "match quality" bullshit either, most of the G1 this year has been a slog and the WWE PPV's have been uniformly solid since Fast Lane.

I'm not even saying push Naito and Shibata in the main event-i'm hoping Naito can take the IC strap off Goto at WK. Ibushi i've just given up on them ever pushing properly, and hope WWE signs him sooner rather than later (cue "WWE will just fuck him up" posts).

UberTag

Do I see marks throwing shade on Wrestler Of The Year 2015 John Cena on this page? Damn,does John gotta put out another classic at Summerslam?
Is John Cena having the best year of his career? Yes.
Is John Cena the wrestler of 2015 so far? Yes.
But that doesn't change the fact that the flaws in how his feuds are booked and how he sells offense after a match is over still persist.
And sure, I would love to see John put out another classic at Summerslam. He has new 15x merchandise to move.

just tired of tana winning, great 5 star match though.

I wonder who is gonna be in the third place match with AJ

AFAIK they aren't doing the third place match this year. They would have announced it if they were.

That's always the problem with the G1 finals, outside of a few matches they typically don't announce the card until the show itself. I wouldn't be surprised to see some good cross-block matches like Goto vs. Makabe or Shibata vs. Ishii.

Isn't Ricochet vs Kushida happening? That should be great. LU has only been gone for a week but i'm craving my Prince Puma fix already.

Friends, Okada/Nakamura was amazing, go watch it if you haven't already.

Indeed, and the fact that they are building up Nak's Armbar into a finisher is definitely cool, and should play into the match with Tana. The fact that he made the champ tap out to it makes it a very big deal.

Anyway, just announced, here is the full card for tonight's finals.

Match 1 - Six-Man Tag Team Match
Jushin Thunder Liger, Yohei Komatsu, and Sho Tanaka vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Masara Dorada, and David Finlay Jr.

Match 2 - Six-Man Tag Team Match
Tenkoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima) and Captain New Japan vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, and Jay White

Match 3 - Special Singles Match
Michael Elgin vs. YOSHI-HASHI

Match 4 - Six-Man Tag Team Match
CHAOS (Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii, and Kazushi Sakuraba) vs. The Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, (that cunt) Yujiro Takahashi, and Tama Tonga)

Match 5 - Six-Man Tag Team Match
GBH (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma) and Tetsuya Naito vs. Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata) and Kota Ibushi

Match 6 - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson) (c) vs. reDRagon (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly)

Match 7 - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
KUSHIDA (c) vs. Ricochet

Match 8 - Special Six-Man Tag Team Match
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and The Kingdom (Mike Bennett and Matt Taven) (w/Maria Kanellis) vs. The Bullet Club (AJ Styles, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows w/Amber Gallows)

Match 9 - G1 Climax 25 Finals
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

The fact that Elgin gets a singles match (and what will likely be a squash of YOSHI-HASHI at that) means that he'll likely be an NJPW regular going forward. The Six-Man of Makabe, Naito and Honma vs. Goto, Shibata, and Ibushi is very interesting, as it could set up Goto and Makabe's next challengers for the IC and NEVER titles respectively, I'm going with Naito going after Goto and Shibata going after Makabe, perhaps Ibushi as well since both beat Makabe in block play. It looks like another AJ vs. Okada match and Anderson/Gallows vs. Kingdom (*groan*) matches could be in the offing for DOMINION based on the Semi-Final six-man, and of course, Tana vs. Nak which should be excellent.

I'm still pretty certain Tana's winning and if he doesn't, then he's definitely winning it next year. Even if Nakamura wins, I don't think either he or Tanahashi's going to beat Okada at WK10.

Also, I just noticed, looks like BUSHI's return has been postponed, as he has been replaced by Finlay in the opening six-man.

Yeah, he cracked his orbital bone in training, unfortunately. Sucks, as he's worked so hard to get back. Hopefully it won't keep him out long.

RP912

Banned
I'm still pretty certain Tana's winning and if he doesn't, then he's definitely winning it next year. Even if Nakamura wins, I don't think either he or Tanahashi's going to beat Okada at WK10.

Yeah, he cracked his orbital bone in training, unfortunately. Sucks, as he's worked so hard to get back. Hopefully it won't keep him out long.

Of course Tana is going to win one way or the other, however...I don't really see Okada holding onto the belt after WK10. Imagine the pop Naka would get if he wins the belt off of Rainmaker at the big one. It would blow the roof off of the place.

Of course Tana is going to win one way or the other, however...I don't really see Okada holding onto the belt after WK10. Imagine the pop Naka would get if he wins the belt off of Rainmaker at the big one. It would blow the roof off of the place.

I don't think that's what's happening - I think Okada will drop the belt to Styles before Wrestle Kingdom and that's why the Nak/Styles match isn't happening tomorrow.

I could see Tana winning, he's still ridiculously over (and unlike Cena, there isn't a dueling "Tana Sucks!" chant), and a Tana/Okada rematch at WKX sells itself after Okada's heartbreak last year. That said, I picked Nakamura before the tournament began, and I'm not changing that now. He's the most over guy outside of the Bullet Club on the worldwide stage, and with New Japan's international expansion, I think they want him at the forefront of it. Plus, everyone who has saved their title shot until the Tokyo Dome has lost, making it the anti-MITB. I'd love to see ONE person do it, and Nakamura is the one. Hey, maybe AJ can beat Okada at either DOMINION or KOPW and we'll get Nak vs. AJ in the Tokyo Dome (SQUEEEEEE!)

With all do respect to BUSHI...well, it's BUSHI. He hasn't had a high-profile match...well...ever. (Except for his NWA Jr. title shot against Chase Owens), He's talented and I'd love to see him get a push, but he's so established as a jobber right now it's going to be tough for him.

BUSHI's pretty much still in the "paying his dues" phase of his NJPW career, remember he's an AJPW guy who jumped ship. Also, he got a couple of big wins in last year's BoSJ, most notably over Liger & KUSHIDA. I don't think he'll ever be a major player in NJPW, as he's already quite old, having started his wrestling career in his late-20's, but he hasn't really been given much of a chance yet either.

MoosiferX

We've watched every night of this year's tournament with a group of friends and it's been incredible. We caught most of the G1 the last 2 years, but this is the first year that we've watched every damned match. Okada vs. Nakamura was amazing, as was Ishii and Elgin. Cannot wait to watch the finals live tonight!!!

I'm going to take a month couple days off from watching wrestling after this.

jred2k

Third year in a row I try and stay up for this. Let's see if I can break my streak of falling asleep just before the main event.

tm24

Now that i think about it, i really need Dalton castle to go so he can run around yelling that's he's big in japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom