• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

Reule

Wish they'd price drop this on all platforms before release with this kind of reception. I still really want to play it but damn.

Aww man. I was hoping comparisons to them selling the tanker bit in MGS2 was just a humorous exaggeration. Looks like it was right on the money. Was gonna get it day-1. Will wait for bargain bin treatment now.

RedSwirl

Seems like a lot of people expect this to be like a short Call of Duty campaign or something -- a linear one-way deal. From what I understand Kojima is basically trying to sell a small fraction of an open world that's too big for a free demo. Whether or not it's worth $30 is up to each individual customer of course, but I don't think you can really determine that based on a hard dollars-per-hour ratio. I'm just putting it in my GameFly Que for now.

Onesimos

Quite surprised to hear this. I wonder how this will effect the game's score as I expected that modern games last longer than two hours.

Wow. Thanks for saving me $40. I saw all the bitching about it being a demo and shrugged it off as the internet being the internet, but it really is just a demo. A $40 demo. Unreal.

ZeroX03

Banned
There was a massive outcry over MGR's supposed short length and that turned out to be overblown. I'll play this myself and judge myself. I'll probably do every extra mission to full completion or w/e.

And $30USD to an Australian doesn't seem too bad.

Wow...I must admit I wasn't expecting something that short. I thought there'd be plenty of missions, plus side content. This amount of content should be $15-20 for PS4. I mean that's still more than I'd pay for a 4 hour game, but I'd accept the Metal Gear tax. But $40...

Foffy

Banned
There was a massive outcry over MGR's supposed short length and

Platinum's games have major replayability. I doubt all of the difficulty options will give the core game here a bigger leg.

Guess I'll really only be getting this when Phantom Pain launches. As a prologue, it would surely be at a reasonable price then. A $40 demo is raw bullshit.

Ouch. I've bought each metal gear solid game literally at least two times, but even i can't justify this. As others have said, this is straight up charging for a demo. I could even talk myself into it at 4-5 hours, but two? Get bent, Konami.

ZeroX03

Banned
Platinum's games have major replayability. I doubt all of the difficulty options will give the core game here a bigger leg.

I've played the Tanker mission from MGS2 around fifteen times? I didn't get sick of it.

MGS has difficulty settings, rankings and now extra missions. For me that sounds fun for something so cheap (when an Australian is buying from the US with a friend).

It may be short to some people, but I'm reasonably confident it'll be replayable enough for me.

Shengar

Releasing the tutorial/prologue level as $20/$40 (which is it I don't know but it still way too much) game. I guess that's the new low for the industry.
I'm not blaming Kojima, I'm blaming Konami sheer incompetence.

I can understand it being 2 hours long (if those are indeed accurate and fair numbers).

I can understand Konami wanting to charge for it.

I just can't understand the pricing. It makes no sense, not from a consumer standpoint and not from a business standpoint.

Release it at half the price and you'll likely get more than double the sales....Surely they can't believe that the current price point is good based upon the length concerns that are going to be brought up by potential customers?

I've bought so many Metal Gear games for my MG collection and I will NOT be buying Ground Zeroes at that price. I'm a die hard Metal Gear fan but I simply cannot support what Konami is doing. I don't want other companies to do the same thing. I also blame Kojima for putting up with Konami.

Nope, I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on a game that is less than 2 hours long at the price they are asking for. I will gladly buy it for dirt cheap though.

Seems like a lot of people expect this to be like a short Call of Duty campaign or something -- a linear one-way deal. From what I understand Kojima is basically trying to sell a small fraction of an open world that's too big for a free demo. Whether or not it's worth $30 is up to each individual customer of course, but I don't think you can really determine that based on a hard dollars-per-hour ratio. I'm just putting it in my GameFly Que for now.

Its $39 excluding taxes!

Trying to sell this for $40... LOL. There's going to be a shit storm of uninformed buyers who are going to be pissed off after beating this so quickly, and rightly so.

I'll bite the bullet on this one and you can all watch my twitch stream ;)

Gonna be a quick watch! Hope I don't need to use the bathroom once and miss it ;(.

Shengar

Very interesting Kojima interview in the issue. Basically talks about how he got into gaming and how he is stuck being the Metal Gear guy. He claims he does not want to be known as that man, he claims he doesnt have much time left cause he is 50 so he wants to write a list of all he wants to do before he dies and make sure he does it which includes writing a novel and making a movie.

He claims he likes simple stories, ironically. He said he always tries to make a simple story. He says he wont let series canon hinder him from telling the story he wants so if he has to contradict a few things he will.

There was a comparison of him and James Cameron with Aliens where that franchise was handed off after Alien and it was successful. Kojima said his situation is more like Terminator where if he left it would become a mess. He claims he has had no success in passing the torch which implies he has tried. There is a lot about Japanese culture and how he doesn't relate to any Japanese developers anymore except Platinum Games.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

He says he just got into Breaking Bad and he is pissed cause he wasnt the one to come up with that story, he wants to tell that kind of story. He says if he pitched a story like that to Konami they would probably say no. He also loved Gravity, loved how simple it was and he says trying to create a game that simple would be hard with Konami. He says that movie really impacted him, making something out of the ordinary a big success and is jealous of it as a creator, says it stirred something in him.

He talks about how he is close friends with Guillermo Del Toro, says he would like to work with him one day.

Goddammnit, no I feel bad for Kojima :(
There isn't thing worse for a creative person to be stuck onto one creative work while they want to experiment and explore other idea. I hope Kojima can find a way to get over it with MGS and started making new creative work instead. All of those smile feels like fake now for me :(

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Pre-order cancelled. Will buy when price is dropped. Besides, so much else to play with my backlog, and March being the gangbusters month it is. Hopefully for those that do buy it day 1, it is fulfilling and has a lot of replay-ability.

Whompa

LOL! I can't believe I missed this thread all day! Quick summary please?

Videogames are cool. This one seems cool, but it's not the longest game ever, or that time=money and not quality=money. Something people cannot grasp. This game also features guns and sneaking. Some people on the internet think this is a demo or beta or something and not worth their hard earned cash that they asked mom for.

Ok you're now caught up.

Top Bottom