• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

RangerBAD

Another aspect is does he have a contract with Konami? With people of his talent, they usually lock you in with their studio and if you quit or don't produce X amount of games for them, you can be penalized or sued if you leave for somewhere else. Or it could be that he really doesn't want MGS to leave his creative grasp.

He's tried to hand it over to someone else in KojiPro for a while now.

ifxPY0pjNWPFh.gif

That was a speedrun though, you didn't play through all the side missions.

How long is it guessed to be in its entirety? Also, did they stealth through, or blew their way through?

It does sound too short, but need a little more to go on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I usually don't care for price to "hours" sort of ratios but this is way out of whack. $40 for 2 hours of core content? That might not be as good anyways and warrant the desire to check out the side content? Sounds like a pretty poor investment to me.

omark

Neo Member
Originally Posted by Love Deterrence

It's between $20-$40.

Current-gen/Digital: $20
Current-gen/Physical: $30
Next-gen/Digital: $30
Next-gen/Physical: $40
Australia: $89

Italy (Next-gen/Physical): $67 :(

It doesn't sound like any release should have cost more than $25 for the amount of content included that we know of. I wonder how much this will sell at $40.

border

"console exclusive missions"???
Jesus Christ.
I wouldn't mind console exclusive missions except for the fact that you have to do all manner of collecting bullshit to unlock them. It seems like they are trying to justify the $40 price/2 hour length by locking a bunch of content away and making you replay the game to get to it. That way they can conceivably claim that it's length is closer to 6-8 hours, since it will take multiple play through to get 100%.

OnFire331

It's even less than I expected, that's dissapointing. Not so hyped about GZ after finding out it's a $40 demo. I'm still incredibly hyped about TPP however, the E3 trailer is one of the best trailers I've ever seen for a videogame.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The more I hear about MGSV, the more I want to wait for MGSV: Subsissubstance.

Wolff

Then the Phantom Pain will probably be full $60. Thanks Kojima, but no. It's not like MGS has the best story ever written and the best gameplay ever, it's not even close, still it would not justify the price for a glorified demo.

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy MGS, bought and played most of them, but this is too much IMO. MGS Fanboys will probably buy anyway and support this which is a shame.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
To me the price to hour ratio doesnt figure into what I buy as a gamer, the thing is, this a mgs game, which means the majority of the game will be cutscenes and not gameplay, unless kojima suddenly changes this up for ground zero.

I wouldn't mind console exclusive missions except for the fact that you have to do all manner of collecting bullshit to unlock them. It seems like they are trying to justify the $40 price/2 hour length by locking a bunch of content away and making you replay the game to get to it. That way they can conceivably claim that it's length is closer to 6-8 hours, since it will take multiple play through to get 100%.

I mind them quite a bit, personally, even if they're available right away. The idea that I have to play the game on two separate platforms just to experience the whole thing is repugnant in my book. I at least understand it when first-party makes a deal for exclusive content - so there's the one basic version and the version with extra stuff to encourage sales on a certain platform. But to split up the content between different platforms so every version has some missing content? That doesn't make any sense to me, especially in a game already getting a lot of flak for its length.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
To me the price to hour ratio doesnt figure into what I buy as a gamer, the thing is, this a mgs game, which means the majority of the game will be cutscenes and not gameplay, unless kojima suddenly changes this up for ground zero.

Most of the value in this game, I think, will come from dicking around in the open world and exploring all that you can. MGSV seems very gameplay-centric. It uses Peace Walker as the foundation in more ways than one. That's not to say Phantom Pain won't have at least 6 hours of cutscenes not including optional radio calls, it had damn well better, but for Ground Zeroes especially do NOT expect a ton of cutscenes. There does seem to be some optional tapes, however, which should be quite interesting for those of us wanting to delve deeper into the story.

Foffy

Banned
Most of the value in this game, I think, will come from dicking around in the open world and exploring all that you can. MGSV seems very gameplay-centric. It uses Peace Walker as the foundation in more ways than one. That's not to say Phantom Pain won't have at least 6 hours of cutscenes not including optional radio calls, it had damn well better, but for Ground Zeroes especially do NOT expect a ton of cutscenes. There does seem to be some optional tapes, however, which should be quite interesting for those of us wanting to delve deeper into the story.

Isn't the main game of Ground Zeroes literally set in just one camp? We've essentially seen the main area of the game...which is pretty small. More like a tech demo.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Isn't the main game of Ground Zeroes literally set in just one camp? We've essentially seen the main area of the game...which is pretty small. More like a tech demo.

I call it an appetizer. A very expensive appetizer. To answer your question, yes we have seen most of the map. It is still bigger than any one single area in an MGS game, a title taken previously by a couple of MGS4's areas in Act 2.

edit:

Mortemis

Banned
I knew it'll be short, but ~2 hours is just disappointing.

Seems like the perfect game to rent from redbox, if they'll even have it. It'll probably be packed in with Phantom Pain anyways, so rent it now, get to keep it when you get Phantom Pain.

JimiNutz

Banned
I remember buying ZOE on PS2 for full price just so that I could play the MGS2 demo.
Then playing that short demo for about 10 hours...

Unfortunately MGS has had (in my opinion) 3 mediocre games since then and the franchise doesn't induce the same level of hype in me that I will pay full price for a demo.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
God...I really wish the digital was 20. I definitely want to play this. If im 30 bucks flush and bored one afternoon ill dip... really hope I'm strong enough to wait.

Foffy

Banned
Seemed pretty big to me.

In what regard? It looks very similar to some areas in previous MG games. Which is to say, not vast at all. Honestly, it looks like it has around the same amount of maneuverable territory as the Virtuous Mission arc of Snake Eater.

This is not to say it's automatically bad. It's bad in relation to the absurd fucking prices they're asking for this. Out of their marbles. You can get 3DS games for the price of the retail PS4 version, and they sure as shit last more than 2 hours.

If this was maybe $10-15 for digital and $15-20 for retail, this would easily be somewhat tolerable. Right now, it looks like an absolute ripoff for any of the versions on offer. You could literally watch the main campaign finished in a Youtube video. I have classes that last longer than the game does.

If this had a lot of content, I was actually going to buy a PS4 for this game. Getting a PS4 is out of the fucking question now in the short term. I would be better off eating that money.

Top Bottom