• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silent Hills wont be dead cause the deal is between Del Toro and Konami

On other hand: The Power of Kojima

VuqWzin.jpg

Normal

It was 16 on jan 2015

Konami stocks were dropping since ever....

Just to have an idea on HOW MUCH konai need MGS

On 2011 their stock was 36....

massive drop since then

Jesus Christ, Konami. I can't believe they'd let go of their biggest video game talent there.
I have no idea what they're planning to do with their video games division at this point.
RIP ZOE3

At least they still have Yugioh to keep them around?

Ouch.

Has their stock never shifted 12 cents before? That's really nothing at all.

Xater

Is it bad that I'm hoping for a quick and messy death of Konami now, so that their many IP's can get scavenged and put to use? I mean, Konami was part of my childhood, and now I'm sitting here, hoping someone comes along and stabs them in the back so that vultures can tear them apart.

...I blame Konami. What have you done to me, old friend.

Problem is they won't die. They will just be a beloved IP mass grave.

entremet

MGS5 plus Fox Englne may have too expensive for Konami's conservative tastes. MGS4 wasn't cheap either.

Kojima's penchant for big budgets may have not been something Konami brass cosigned after two games.

Really poor business decision by Konami, unless they plan on moving exclusively into mobile and pachislot. Kojipro games were the only "Konami" games I would still consider buying, and I'm definitely bummed about the implications concerning Silent Hills' status.

I expect to see Metal Gear continue but farmed out to some mid-tier western dev house, which basically means TPP is the end of the series for me at least.

Mostly curious to see what the future holds for Kojima now that he's available, I expect he's going to get courted pretty hard by some major players.

I guess in Metal Gear's absence all Konami can do now is start pumping out Suikoden and Vandal Heart games, right?

Hey I can dream can't I?

Grid-based? That takes level design, and that sounds hard.

Luckily, Kojima himself has given them a path forward with the Mother Base management metagame in Peace Walker. Now you can build your own personal base, placing buildings and sending your soldiers on missions to gather resources and recruit more allies. Each mission gives you a chance at finding a special recruit! Pay money to get more resources, cut build times short, and clear missions faster! Work with your friends to fight enemy PMC groups and control the world!

Ah, yeah, my brain blanked out on that. Metal Gear Solid: Base Operations will probably make a mint.

And they can even bring in other old defunct Konami properties too. Special soldiers can include Pyramid Head and Alucard and the like!

kmax

I guess that's a wrap for Silent Hills, since Kojima Productions did that one as well.

Is Konami comitting video game seppuku?

Holy shit this is insane. Guess Kojima tried to make some power plays that didn't quite work out. Anyways as I said in the other thread, this is great for Kojima. Konami needs him way more then he needs them.

There's nothing left for Konami outside of MGS. So unless they can find solid replacements for the series to keep its high quality then there's nothing of value there anymore. But just like PES and Silent Hill, both series have fallen from grace and not a shadow of their former selves so with Kojima and team gone, the MGS franchise essentially dies with them.

Of course Kojima and co can start a new studio and make a MGS alike game but it would have to be pretty much a complete fresh start without the characters and world. Still it would be a chance to make a new hit series and Konami are the real losers here.

Does Kojima own any part of the Metal Gear IP? Can Konami make more games in the series without his permission?

Kojima seems the sort of person who would want to retain some of the rights over his creations.

Darker

Banned
I met Hideo Kojima back in an industry event in Koln in the autumn of 2006, where he was signing autographs for fans.

The queue was abating towards the end of the night and Kojima was talking in Japanese to a management type, so I walked up. I shook him by the hand and said I just wanted to quickly thank him for his games, and he smiled and nodded and said something quietly about me being too kind. The manager turned away to look down the hall, and Kojima suddenly gripped my hand tighter than I ever though possible, so much so that I let out a tiny yelp, and pulled me right next to his face to whisper 'Everything I do is pain'. All the love had gone from his eyes. The manager turned around, but by that time Kojima has let go of me and was smiling and nodding and mumbling something in broken English; 'so kind, th-thank you', etc.

I watched him from afar, other fans occasionally coming to greet him. My hand was still red the next day.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow, it's actually happening.

Konami has gone from being the company that makes nothing but Metal Gear to the company that just makes nothing. Anyone with half a brain needs to jump off that sinking ship.

I think it could go either way for Konami. It could be the beginning of a terrible demise, or an opportunity to start fresh to some degree, and promote new talent without fear of treading on the territory of long-time stars. I hope they at least attempt the latter.

Acosta

Ah, yeah, my brain blanked out on that. Metal Gear Solid: Base Operations will probably make a mint.

And they can even bring in other old defunct Konami properties too. Special soldiers can include Pyramid Head and Alucard and the like!

Stop for god's sake, you are killing us.

ys45

So, IT IS really his last Metal Gear Solid game ......

Oh well to be honest I don't care anymore Konami has been dead to me since a loooonnnggg time.

I think it could go either way for Konami. It could be the beginning of a terrible demise, or an opportunity to start fresh to some degree, and promote new talent without fear of treading on the territory of long-time stars. I hope they at least attempt the latter.

i'd argue that started last gen

I met Hideo Kojima back in an industry event in Koln in the autumn of 2006, where he was signing autographs for fans.

The queue was abating towards the end of the night and Kojima was talking in Japanese to a management type, so I walked up. I shook him by the hand and said I just wanted to quickly thank him for his games, and he smiled and nodded and said something quietly about me being too kind. The manager turned away to look down the hall, and Kojima suddenly gripped my hand tighter than I ever though possible, so much so that I let out a tiny yelp, and pulled me right next to his face to whisper 'Everything I do is pain'. All the love had gone from his eyes. The manager turned around, but by that time Kojima has let go of me and was smiling and nodding and mumbling something in broken English; 'so kind, th-thank you', etc.

I watched him from afar, other fans occasionally coming to greet him. My hand was still red the next day.
dying.

Revan

I'm happy I got my preorder on the collector edition is MGSV in before they all disappeared...

Man this is brutal news - MG (and Konami) will never be the same....

If Kojima and his team leaves Konami, the future Metal Gear made by Konami are still canon or no?

It doesn't matter. Yes, they'll be canon, in the same way Indiana Jones 4 or the star wars prequels are. 4 is barely canon as is, considering how much it ignores from MGS2.

GCX

Does Kojima own any part of the Metal Gear IP? Can Konami make more games in the series without his permission?

Kojima seems the sort of person who would want to retain some of the rights over his creations.
Metal Gear came out when Kojima was like 24. I'm sure he didn't give a lot of thought about IP owning back then.

lol

Damn, -0.63%. Huge drop for sure. Konami will sure feel sorry when their Five Nights at Freddy's style Silent Hill mobile game recycled out of old abandoned Silent Hills assets makes that back in the first 20 minutes.

Alienous

lol.

Nzyme32

So if konami is pretty much exiting video games are they going to just sit on all their franchises or sell them?

They are not exiting video games. They would probably fight tooth and nail to make sure the work Kojipro have done with Metal Gear and the Fox engine is glued to them. Even without those, they would still have games to sell.

No doubt though, Kojima and his team of devs are all I care about at Konami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom