• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

I think it's just because people would rather deal with Amazon than GameStop. Plus with Amazon, you get the 20% discount on new games when preordered or purchased within their first two weeks.

I was going to try and do this with my credit. But A. I didn't want to see the inside of a Gamestop for a very long time. B. My take pretty much totaled what I would've spent on gaming over the next 6-8 months anyway.

Why am I getting a sour taste from seeing everyone try to cash out of the GS credit into other avenues?

lmao. I feel like we all had such a great time doing this, and it's like watching people part ways after graduating high school or something.

E92 M3

Why am I getting a sour taste from seeing everyone try to cash out of the GS credit into other avenues?

lmao. I feel like we all had such a great time doing this, and it's like watching people part ways after graduating high school or something.

I'm not cashing out

Luminaire

Step one compete.

Converted trade credit to gs gift card. Walked in and asked for a $450 gift card, when I swiped my trade card the guy asked what I was doing and I said I was doing split payment. Went through no problem. 434 trade credit, $16 debit.

Might help some people if they get a gift card for more than their credit and just pay a couple bucks difference. Didn't get shut down and didn't mention anything about wanting to convert. So just go in with a plan and be confident, there's nothing preventing the system from taking the trade card.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm not cashing out

I'm keeping my credit as credit for now. Since I'm going to buy the XBOX One X, I'd rather pay using trade credit because it eliminated tax. Did the same for Digital version of Forza 7 and an XBOX Live Gold 12m card to save tax.

May or may not change the balance out to a Gift Card at some point and buy an Visa Gift Card with that if it remains possible somehow down the line to buy games at Best Buy with the 20% discount.

I traded in some of my wife's old 360 games as we no longer have the console:

Beautiful Katamari
The Simpsons Game
Lego Star Wars
Kung Fu Panda
Lego Batman
Shrek

I got $50! My mind was blown. I got $19 for The Simpsons Game alone. That was converted into a steam gift card and I promptly bought Nier: Automata and Hollow Knight.

Ronin Ray

Its like the party was fun when your drinking and people are doing drugs but when that wears off you realize everyone is kinda shitty and the party is in a bad neighborhood and it's time to get the hell out of there

Ronin Ray

Step one compete.

Converted trade credit to gs gift card. Walked in and asked for a $450 gift card, when I swiped my trade card the guy asked what I was doing and I said I was doing split payment. Went through no problem. 434 trade credit, $16 debit.

Might help some people if they get a gift card for more than their credit and just pay a couple bucks difference. Didn't get shut down and didn't mention anything about wanting to convert. So just go in with a plan and be confident, there's nothing preventing the system from taking the trade card.

The real tip is don't mention the credit when buying the gift card. Then don't mention the gift card when converting it to amazon. Once you mention those things it seems the game stop employees a. think they cant do it or b. freak out.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Yup this guy has got it.

Luminaire

The real tip is don't mention the credit when buying the gift card. Then don't mention the gift card when converting it to amazon. Once you mention those things it seems the game stop employees a. think they cant do it or b. freak out.
Exactly. If you know what you're doing, they just roll with it. Now, step 2 will be changing it to Amazon. They only have $25 cards on their site so I'll need to drop in at the GS by my house. I imagine they have different values actually in store.

Worst case I buy 18 $25 ones online and do store pickup, say they're for a giveaway at work if questioned. Ezpz!

toneroni

I traded in some of my wife's old 360 games as we no longer have the console:

Beautiful Katamari
The Simpsons Game
Lego Star Wars
Kung Fu Panda
Lego Batman
Shrek

I got $50! My mind was blown. I got $19 for The Simpsons Game alone. That was converted into a steam gift card and I promptly bought Nier: Automata and Hollow Knight.

Thats awesome. too bad they don't take a lot of xbox 360 games anymore (If it shows N/A on the trade calc, it means 0 right?). I have so many to get rid of...

Ronin Ray

Exactly. If you know what you're doing, they just roll with it. Now, step 2 will be changing it to Amazon. They only have $25 cards on their site so I'll need to drop in at the GS by my house. I imagine they have different values actually in store.

Worst case I buy 18 $25 ones online and do store pickup, say they're for a giveaway at work if questioned. Ezpz!

Google amazon cash. it will give you a bar code they scan and the money goes directly to your amazon account each transaction can be up to $400 or you can get a physical gift card from them up to $400

Fury451

Banned
They still take 360/PS3 right? I don't really care about value, I just want to declutter a lot of my crap.

Edit: Evidently yes.

Luminaire

Google amazon cash. it will give you a bar code they scan and the money goes directly to your amazon account each transaction can be up to $400 or you can get a physical gift card from them up to $400
May just do this instead! I'll need two transactions though, which should be no problem.

I've been thinking of trading in my XB1 for a PS4 for a while now. FOr the first time ever, I regret buying games digitally because I probably could have got a PS4 and Nier for all my games and the system.

sonto340

Well I managed to get out of GameStop yesterday with two PS4s and an Xbox One S. Gonna go back later in the week to clear out the last of my credit with a PSVR. Not bad for spending $40.

NeonBlack

So the two stores I went to wouldn't let me put it on the GS card. Both know its possible but didn't want to.

How are you guys swiftly doing this? Do you just peekaboo the Pro card?

No it isn't, unless there's something corrupt about GameStop's credit.

OK, maybe the GameStop clerk is onto something.

It lowkey is, we just doing it through gamestop. Its like that one guy that uses gamestop as his bank. Technically what hes doing is not unlike using a bank

edit: Wait until gamestop gets a credit card that you can use outside of gamestop lol. Shit is going to be happening lol

Redd

I'm set for games atm. Looking to grab some other things Gamestop doesn't carry.

Luminaire

So the two stores I went to wouldn't let me put it on the GS card. Both know its possible but didn't want to.

I just walked up and asked for a gift card, said amount, swiped my trade card. I bought a gs card for more than my store credit and just paid the difference. No denials on my end.

Did you ask if you could do it first?

Ronin Ray

I said I want 2 gift cards and I am going to put $400 on each. I then swiped my card with the trade in credit. I never asked if I could do it or told the employee my payment method

Bii

Yesterday, just after midnight.
So it took 35 hours for the shipping confirmation to arrive, including the holiday.

Still waiting on final one.

I ordered on Monday at 5pm PT. Guess I'll call and see what's up. There is a temporary charge on my credit card but no movement since.

Luminaire

No but the card was in my hand
Maybe keep it in your wallet until it's time to swipe at the next one. Literally nothing in their system blocks it.

Try getting a card for whatever the nearest rounded up $10 is and pay the difference. Ex a $230 GS for $223 trade credit. That's what I did and when I was asked I just said I'm doing split payment.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well already burned half my credit on that switch bundle. Guess I'll convert the leftover to Amazon cash which I'll probably use on a PS4 bundle this fall.

200w.gif

I know.. I had a lot of fun with y'all this past weekend.. but we all move on, man. Hopefully we can pull together to make our lives better again sometime soon.

Nameless

Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the PUR program. I STILL have points rolling in and apparently my Switch purchase won't be factored in until it ships Friday. Definitely buying all my gaming hardware and digital credit through Gamestop going forward.

"Hey, guys, I make 8 dollars an hour at GameStop and will pretend to be an FBI agent and accuse you of money laundering when I have no idea what it actually means."

The truest definition of junior detective.

"You want Amazon credit, you say?"
Code:
[img]https://myanimelist.cdn-dena.com/images/characters/13/328865.jpg[/img]

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I "cashed out" today. I converted the gamestop gift card into Amazon gift cards. I'm assuming that once you hit $500 you can't do another Amazon gift card at the same location because once I did my initial $500 one, the employee tried to do the second $220 one but he kept getting error message on his monitor and immediately thereafter he received a call from someone saying that customers have to go to another GS if they intend to exceed the $500 limit, even in multiple transactions. So yea, I had to go to another GS and get the last gift card but I was in and out in like a minute. It was a really pleasant experience. Hope everyone made out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom