• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamfall

A lot of heroes behind the counter.

Rolled up there with 200 in Gamestop gift cards after transferring from a trade credit card as a test run. Walked in with my Amazon bar code ready, dude rang it and I said put 200. Before he could say anything, I swiped those gift cards quickly and it went just fine. He started saying that he didn't know how that worked but I walked out like let me get all this out their system.

Works just fine, walk in there tall, and swipe those gift cards - it works , people are just shitty and trying to feel empowered. Time to move the other 700.

otakuderek

With everyone offloading games, are most of you switching to digital games or staying physical? I want to do this for my physical games and go all digital, but I'm worried about losing access to the games in the future.

Just got back from the two GameStops near my house. Got the GS gift card at the first one with no problem. The cashier seemed surprised I was getting a gift card of $500 and asked why such a big gift (not in a junior detective way, just curious). Told her it was for my brother so he could order an Xbox One X when pre-orders went up and she said awesome. I then went to the second GameStop to get the Amazon cash added to my account and that was no problem. First time my cashier had done an Amazon Cash transaction. Neither ever questioned me on my method of payment for either transaction. Got a bonus $10 from Amazon for using the Amazon Cash service too so that was a nice little bonus.

Luminaire

Just got back from the two GameStops near my house. Got the GS gift card at the first one with no problem. The cashier seemed surprised I was getting a gift card of $500 and asked why such a big gift (not in a junior detective way, just curious). Told her it was for my brother so he could or order a Xbox One X when pre-orders went up and she said awesome. I then went to the second GameStop to get the Amazon cash added to my account and that was no problem. First time my cashier had done an Amazon Cash transaction. Neither ever questioned me on my method of payment for either transaction. Got a bonus $10 from Amazon for using the Amazon Cash service too so that was a nice little bonus.

I just completed the last step as well!

The cashier had only done an Amazon Cash transaction once before a long while back. He was super nice about it, didn't ask me to pre-order or trade anything or to get any magazines. The $10 bonus was nice as well! I wasn't questioned for using a gift card either but I never outright said I was going to use one. Just swiped it like I'd normally swipe any card. The Amazon Cash thing showed up like 10 secs after the receipt printed out. Overall it was crazy easy.

Edit - Also, the limit was $500, not $400!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Could you buy Visa Giftcards with Gamestop Giftcards? Don't see why you couldn't, but there must be a reason people here aren't just doing that instead.... 🤔

ironmang

With everyone offloading games, are most of you switching to digital games or staying physical? I want to do this for my physical games and go all digital, but I'm worried about losing access to the games in the future.

When I offload games I'm usually done with them so definitely not going to pick them up digitally. Even Nintendo MP games I prefer physical since they hold value so well and by the time I'm done with the system it's nice to have 3-4 year old games worth $20-30 at gamestop.

As far as long access though you probably don't have anything to worry about for new games. Nothing's happened to digital games from last gen and that's when the idea of downloading full games was still new to console.

Luminaire

Could you buy Visa Giftcards with Gamestop Giftcards? Don't see why you couldn't, but there must be a reason people here aren't just doing that instead.... 🤔

Not sure if you can, but there's like a $4.95 activation fee. I think Visa giftcards might be a little weird on sites as well. I recall my sister getting one and having to put in a billing address. I may be thinking of some other prepaid card though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Physical. Usually more deals and I have GCU at best buy. Also just got a gift card there so planning on waiting for a b2g1 to maximize the gift card and GCU for switch games. I also don't trust Nintendo at all with digital games. That and their games always hold value.

You can't purchase them with Amazon Gift Cards. So I imagine you can't with GameStop gift cards either.

So without the Buy 2 Get 1 free deal is it hard to make any money off of this deal?

Yeah not much of chance to make crazy profit with this deal anymore, sadly. Still a good deal if you have some old games you were going to offload anyway. I was looking through what's left of my old Wii collection and I could make about $70 off of them. Might end up trading those in and getting Mario x Rabbids.

So I have ~200 of gamestop credit on a gift card. How can I get the Amazon card? Staff said I couldnt

Just don't ask them whether or not you can use a gift card. Use it without saying anything and it is less likely to be a problem, because the system accepts it. Act like you know what you are doing and they tend not to question you. Also try a different GameStop if possible.

So I was hoping to just get a $25 Amazon gift card to buy a Switch screen protector but the guy told me "new GameStop policy" you can't buy gift cards (even a GS gift card) with trade credit. Anyone encounter this?

My orders started shipping.

Weird thing....one of the items in one order didn’t ship. Said “ currently not available online”

I’ll need to return the other two if the third doesn’t ship....

otakuderek

Physical. Usually more deals and I have GCU at best buy. Also just got a gift card there so planning on waiting for a b2g1 to maximize the gift card and GCU for switch games. I also don't trust Nintendo at all with digital games. That and their games always hold value.

That's what I was thinking. I mostly buy from Best Buy or Amazon since the physical deals are significantly better than downloads.

When I offload games I'm usually done with them so definitely not going to pick them up digitally. Even Nintendo MP games I prefer physical since they hold value so well and by the time I'm done with the system it's nice to have 3-4 year old games worth $20-30 at gamestop.

As far as long access though you probably don't have anything to worry about for new games. Nothing's happened to digital games from last gen and that's when the idea of downloading full games was still new to console.

I already buy most of my games when they are budget priced except Nintendo. I might just stay physical, but this deal is so damn good.

Thanks for the input!

Bii

My orders started shipping.

Weird thing....one of the items in one order didn’t ship. Said “ currently not available online”

I’ll need to return the other two if the third doesn’t ship....

All three of my phones (finally) shipped. Only concern now is receiving them and making sure they're not blacklisted or financed. I do intend to keep two and sell one, so I guess we'll see.

Just don't ask them whether or not you can use a gift card. Use it without saying anything and it is less likely to be a problem, because the system accepts it. Act like you know what you are doing and they tend not to question you. Also try a different GameStop if possible.

Awesome thanks!

Edit: didn't work. I got the Amazon card, told him I wanted 200. Swiped my gs trade credit card(not gs gift card, id if it matters) and it didn't go through. :(

So for the past two days two of my local gamestops have been telling me they can't do trade ins cuz the "trade in system is down" anyone else getting this? I mean, it kinda sounds like bullshit just to stop people from doing it but and the same time with all the flipping going on there might be some truth to it?

DTU

Banned
Order placed Monday night, 2 iPhones just shipped, awaiting iPad shipment. Odd that they're separate shipments.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

As an FYI in retail, just because the system CAN take something, it does not mean that workers are supposed to. I can see some workers possibly getting fired if they don't follow their policies.

Also, gift cards with large amounts come with heavy red flags, considering how they often are fraud and are tied to stolen credit cards (and the gift cards usually sold later on for cheap). There's a reason why some stores you guys go to might give you trouble, and I've worked at different companies before to see all kind of shady dealings, but you sure wouldn't want to put your job on the line to let things slide.

Comet

Hey guys,

I was able transfer $850 of trade credit to GameStop gift cards. From there I had to go to two stores until I found an employee adventurous enough to try Amazon Cash (the first store the guy there had no clue and didn't want to try). So me and the guy at the second store figured it out and it was so easy. I moved it all to Amazon Cash, renewed my membership an extra year, put a preorder in, and did three surveys for this guy since he was so willing to help me out.

4K tv, Xbox One S, and many games and other stuff essentially for free. Oh and I still have $300 left over.

Edit - when asked about the suspicious amount of money I said to break up the cards into $500, $250, and $100 cards because my company is doing prizes for a summer bash thing and I'll get reimbursed. Stopped asking questions then.

All three of my phones (finally) shipped. Only concern now is receiving them and making sure they're not blacklisted or financed. I do intend to keep two and sell one, so I guess we'll see.
I had one order that 3 of 3 shipped and another order that said 2 of 3 shipped.

The 1 phone said it wasn’t available so I’m guessing I won’t get it. Might wanna return the other two phones from that order if so.

I'm keeping my credit as credit for now. Since I'm going to buy the XBOX One X, I'd rather pay using trade credit because it eliminated tax. Did the same for Digital version of Forza 7 and an XBOX Live Gold 12m card to save tax.

May or may not change the balance out to a Gift Card at some point and buy an Visa Gift Card with that if it remains possible somehow down the line to buy games at Best Buy with the 20% discount.

Just wondering, why does using trade in credit eliminate tax? And does it have to be in store or can you do this online?

Awesome thanks!

Edit: didn't work. I got the Amazon card, told him I wanted 200. Swiped my gs trade credit card(not gs gift card, id if it matters) and it didn't go through. :(

Yeah you need to turn your Trade Card into a GameStop Gift Card. Then (at a different store) use the gift card to get an Amazon Gift Card or Amazon Cash. Trade Cards cant be used for Amazon Gift Cards but GameStop Gift Cards can.

NeonBlack

So for the past two days two of my local gamestops have been telling me they can't do trade ins cuz the "trade in system is down" anyone else getting this? I mean, it kinda sounds like bullshit just to stop people from doing it but and the same time with all the flipping going on there might be some truth to it?

The thing that keeps GS alive has been down for 2 days......BS

asdad123

Just got my first iPhone delivered. Big bend right by the volume button.

Guessing I'll have to contact them for a replacement.

sensui-tomo

so in order to use that amazon cash app, can i use the trade credit or do i need to make trade credit into a few gamestop gift cards?

Yeah you need to turn your Trade Card into a GameStop Gift Card. Then (at a different store) use the gift card to get an Amazon Gift Card or Amazon Cash. Trade Cards cant be used for Amazon Gift Cards but GameStop Gift Cards can.

I tried getting a gift card and they said I couldnt.. fuck.. was I originally suppose to ask the dude to turn my trade ins for a gift card?

Or can I just go to another gs and grad a gs gift card and swipe my trade in card?

It's a state by state basis depending on local laws and such. Doesn't work online.

Oh okay, so different states allow an in store credit to bypass tax regardless of their own tax rate.
Guess that means I'll start buying eShop download codes physically in store then. I bought Snipperclips today and they rang me up at $19.99.

kirblar

Oh okay, so different states allow an in store credit to bypass tax regardless of their own tax rate.
Guess that means I'll start buying eShop download codes physically in store then. I bought Snipperclips today and they rang me up at $19.99.
eShop/battlenet/etc cards are no-tax everywhere, you can get them online w/ no problem.

edit: My switch (Grey Zelda+Pro controller bundle) just shipped! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom