• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanders

When you full pay items with trade credit, the tax is removed from the purchase. Of course, this is in store since you can't apply trade-in credit to online purchases. I.E. When I buy the XBOX One X, it will be $499.99 flat.

What if I order something in store? Would it still be tax free?

Bii

My GameStop iPhones are reported as stolen and are completely blocked. GJ

Well, I'm not expecting the ones I ordered to be clean of issues. Let us know what you end up doing with it. I guess you may have to return them or try an exchange if your local stores have them in stock.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
What if I order something in store? Would it still be tax free?

You would need to be using Trade-in Credit which can only be used in store. You can order/pre-order anything in the system at the store. As long as it is being paid in full using the credit, yes, it would be tax free.

E92 M3: Yes, Gamestop offers a 2-Year warrant option for consoles.

DTU

Banned
All three? Jesus, does GameStop even check these things?

I got two, but yeah. I would not in good conscience sell these to someone else, knowing that they could get blocked by the carrier at any time.

Don't know if they can. I think they just make sure they work by turning them on and touching things to make sure they respond.

If Swappa can tell, then surely GameStop could. Their "CheckMEND" guarantee seems to say that includes criminal and insurance checks:

778_WhyBuyElectronics_v2.jpg

Who do I believe! I ran a CheckMEND report myself and it's all clear. WTF!

Lucario

I got one in so far, and it also has a bad ESN. Returning all three regardless of if they work or not.

I can't believe they wouldn't check the ESN on a refurbished phone before shipping it out. It's just basic shit.

I'll just buy their stupid Nintendo Switch bundles when I get my trade credit back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When you full pay items with trade credit, the tax is removed from the purchase. Of course, this is in store since you can't apply trade-in credit to online purchases. I.E. When I buy the XBOX One X, it will be $499.99 flat.

This wasn't true for me. I bought 2 games in store with trade credit and was taxed. Maybe it's a CA thing

E92 M3

You would need to be using Trade-in Credit which can only be used in store. You can order/pre-order anything in the system at the store. As long as it is being paid in full using the credit, yes, it would be tax free.

Thanks, will definitely pick that up with the X1X.

DTU

Banned
I checked the IMEI via swappa and it came up as "lost/stolen".

Honestly the last thing I expected buying a refurbished phone from a fucking retailer.

Verizon insists that my phone is lost/stolen, however CheckMEND reports all clear. So somehow in between the lag of CheckMEND getting its data and today, this phone was reported as lost/stolen.

Hybris

So I was looking to take advantage of this trade in bonus and sell some old games to buy some switch accessories. Has this promotion flipping thing killed the trade in value or is it still worth trading a few games for a pro controller?

So I was looking to take advantage of this trade in bonus and sell some old games to buy some switch accessories. Has this promotion flipping thing killed the trade in value or is it still worth trading a few games for a pro controller?

You can check the trade in values on the website or their app and check to see how much credit you will get now.

Darklor01

This wasn't true for me. I bought 2 games in store with trade credit and was taxed. Maybe it's a CA thing

Odd. This was with the Trade card? I remembered this was the case when I was a store manager a while back, I had a long conversation with the employees before buying some things about it. Sure enough, when I bought an XBOX Live Gold 12m card there was no tax. It was listed on the receipt, and then removed.

Perhaps call your local store and inquire with them to see if they agree. They should.

So I ended up getting a switch on amazon. If I buy used switch games on gamestop's website do they usually come with the case? I mean there's not gonna be deals on zelda or mario kart anytime soon so I figure I'll save a few bucks.

Grylvak

So I ended up getting a switch on amazon. If I buy used switch games on gamestop's website do they usually come with the case? I mean there's not gonna be deals on zelda or mario kart anytime soon so I figure I'll save a few bucks.

Not being sure, I would lean towards that they might not come with cases. If they do, you'll get a nice surprise and if they don't you're not let down too much. You can always buy extra cases on the store.nintendo.com site and one is $1.50 and 5 is $7.

Not by me, for whatever reason. I always get an error about my bank info. I've tried everything.

This is probably going to be really dumb, but did you make sure your trade in card covered the entire cost? When I was paying for the Switch I put in a card but it said you must enter CC information and I realized I needed to do an extra $10 to cover it all (I used a second trade in card).

----

Speaking of which, my package left KY at 11:45 PM on July 5th and there still hasn't been an update

4554cfd4ba99f0cd.png

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

I preordered the switch bundle with trade credit in store and they charged tax so I'm not sure it works like that.

I bought a few copies of Switch, MK8D, Disgaea 5, and ARMS from the gamestop website last week during B2G1, they all arrived yesterday and had cases.

I guess its YMMV but I can't see any reason why people would trade in the games without cases. I got it in two shipments as well, one from Dallas, TX their main HQ warehouse and the other from Southern California, not sure if it came from a store or a warehouse.

re: the other question above, Gamestop charges sales tax on credit in some states and counties and not in others. Its entirely dependent on your county laws. In my state gamestop charges tax no matter how you pay.

Luminaire

Can I use a $25 off pre-owned cert with a buy 2 get one free cert or would that give the system and/or employee a math related stroke?

If possible, does the cert knock the price of the item down or is it considered a form of payment? Might affect the free item as the cheapest one goes free.

Can I use a $25 off pre-owned cert with a buy 2 get one free cert or would that give the system and/or employee a math related stroke?

If possible, does the cert knock the price of the item down or is it considered a form of payment? Might affect the free item as the cheapest one goes free.
Don't do that. It'll take 25 off the lowest priced item which would be free already so it doesn't work at all

Odd. This was with the Trade card? I remembered this was the case when I was a store manager a while back, I had a long conversation with the employees before buying some things about it. Sure enough, when I bought an XBOX Live Gold 12m card there was no tax. It was listed on the receipt, and then removed.

Perhaps call your local store and inquire with them to see if they agree. They should.

Xbl is never taxed, whether you use trade credit or otherwise. But games are

Not by me, for whatever reason. I always get an error about my bank info. I've tried everything.

Wtf? Are you trying to convert to a gift card or just buy a game online?

Darklor01

Xbl is never taxed, whether you use trade credit or otherwise. But games are Wtf? Are you trying to convert to a gift card or just buy a game online?

More Information: https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=81134899&postcount=12

Essentially, it seems to vary by region. Since the tax was already paid during the initial purchases, they can't tax you again when you use trade in credit or else it is double taxation. In my region/state, if I pay in full with trade credit, I pay no additional taxes since I've already paid them before. It might be that if I pay partially, I pay tax on the remaining balance to be paid in another method.
Edit:
I'm using a Trade-In card (says that on the card) to buy whatever I want. Games, consoles, ..anything. I'm making the purchases in store though. Edit: Might get taxed when purchasing online using the Trade Credit. I'm not sure how that works.

More Information: https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=81134899&postcount=12

Essentially, it seems to vary by region. Since the tax was already paid during the initial purchases, they can't tax you again when you use trade in credit or else it is double taxation. In my region/state, if I pay in full with trade credit, I pay no additional taxes since I've already paid them before. It might be that if I pay partially, I pay tax on the remaining balance to be paid in another method.
Edit:
I'm using a Trade-In card (says that on the card) to buy whatever I want. Games, consoles, ..anything. I'm making the purchases in store though.

Drats. We always pay more in CA! The cost of paradise I suppose...

So I don't know if anyone else got this or not, but I was given an ad for the Game Days sale that they currently holding while I was trading in games during one of my flips. I didn't think much of it but inside is a coupon to get 50% extra trade in credit with trade in between 7/24/17 and 8/6/17. So, if you get this coupon and the trade values go back up at the end of the month and you have the B2G1 coupon for being a new PUR member, you could potentially do one final flip later this month.

kirblar

Call CS if your switch bundle was cancelled. Apparently some sort of screw up behind the scenes happened and they can reorder it. Just overheard a whole convo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom