• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers interview: Kojima answers EVERY question on Metal Gear Solid V

I don't really get all the love for his work in MGS1. Love how he gives each game it's own unique voice to fit the storyline. What's so comical and worse about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTCZExYuvPU

Only in MGS3 did he sound a little off to me. But that was ok since he was playing a totally different character. Either way his voice matches the character so perfectly. It will be missed. :(

BadWolf

The loss of Hayter sucks but this is Big Boss so I'm for it, simply because I wanted him to have a unique voice from day 1 like Liquid and Solidus.

The real sad part is if Hayter is gone for good and we never hear him as Solid Snake again.

Anth0ny

I'm not very happy that Hayter is gone. His voice made the character for me. Real disappointing.

Also, if Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain really are separate games... that better mean at least Ground Zeroes is out this year.

I really dislike voice actor or actor changes in general. Unless it's something established like a new James Bond every 5th movie or whatever, it always feels jarring. If this is truly Kojima's final MGS, I don't see why they couldn't bring Hayter back for one last hurrah. It's not like he didn't literally just play the character in Peace Walker which is right before Ground Zeroes. And if Sutherland is the replacement? Jack Bauer all up in my MGS. I'll never get used to that.

Of course we'll probably never know the real issue if there's something else that happened behind the scenes, but I don't buy the "new take on the character for a new Metal gear" crap.

Totes® .

sega4ever

So why bring back Akio Ōtsuka if they are trying to change the character and try something new? Singling out Hayter doesn't make much sense then. Don't get me wrong, Ōtsuka is fantastic and they should keep him but they should also keep Hayter then.

Because Akio Ōtsuka is a fantastic voice actor and Hayter has been hamming it up for years.

I really dislike voice actor or actor changes in general. Unless it's something established like a new James Bond every 5th movie or whatever, it always feels jarring. If this is truly Kojima's final MGS, I don't see why they couldn't bring Hayter back for one last hurrah. It's not like he didn't literally just play the character in Peace Walker which is right before Ground Zeroes. And if Sutherland is the replacement? Jack Bauer all up in my MGS. I'll never get used to that.

Of course we'll probably never know the real issue if there's something else that happened behind the scenes, but I don't buy the "new take on the character for a new Metal gear" crap.

It is strange because Hayter seems really bummed about it so I don't know what could possibly have caused a rift big enough behind the scenes that led to Kojima and team just ignoring him.

Because Akio Ōtsuka is a fantastic voice actor and Hayter has been hamming it up for years.

Again, to each their own, but I'm not hearing this "hamming it up for years" stuff I see. We'll disagree, but Hayter has been doing great in each Metal Gear game he has been in. Besides, I'd rather him come back and give the character another round than someone completely new and jarringly familiar from outside properties come in and portray a character that already had a fantastic voice.

BadWolf

Pretty sad when you think about it, sounds like he found out about GZ the same time we did at the anniversary. After almost 15 years they could have at least let him know ahead of time.

Grief.exe

It's like Ubi Soft replacing Ironside in Splinter Cell.

I just lost all attachment to the character and probably the storyline. I've never been all that amazed by MGS gameplay anyway, so I think I'm out.

They jumped the fire whale.

Except in Splinter Cell's case, the overall quality took a nosedive off of a cliff and the general direction of the series shifted.

nickp

Neo Member
I want to point out that Kojima did not confirm that these are two separate games; he said "two parts of a whole" and declined to comment on the nature of how they will be distributed. So, that's technically still up in the air.

Grief.exe

I want to point out that Kojima did not confirm that these are two separate games; he said "two parts of a whole" and declined to comment on the nature of how they will be distributed. So, that's technically still up in the air.

I think this is probably the biggest part of the interview.

Confirms some of the strange stuff we have been hearing about distribution.

Totes® .

Damn right Totes®

It is strange because Hayter seems really bummed about it so I don't know what could possibly have caused a rift big enough behind the scenes that led to Kojima and team just ignoring him.

It's really strange. If Hayter's being honest about never being approached for the role, that's some effed up ess. Hell, Metal Gear Rising is a spinoff and Quinton Flynn was still there as Raiden. To change such a distinct main role in a mainline game of the series...I don't get it.

I just remembered they used Richard Doyle for the debut Peace Walker trailer and then he wasnt anywhere in the final game. Maybe Hayter was on the chopping block back then but got back on kojimas good side. Maybe the switch was on Koji-Pro's mind for a while.

This hole mess could have been handled better though. Use Hayter for Ground Zeros and then say Big Bosses voice was damaged somehow after the coma. Heck it was a dumb idea to use the same VO for Big Boss and Solid Snake to begin with but changing it all of a sudden is kind of bad form.

Also I guess this also explains why the west never not the Solid Snake sword in Rising.

The Jason

Yep sounds like they will be sold separately, as Kojima says we will get GZ first (although he makes it confusing by saying that they haven't decided if the games will be sold together).

MGSV:GZ= prologue
MGSV:TPP= Main story

Makes sense to be separate, as they need more time for the bigger game

Eusis

Who knows about the quality, but Kojima confirmed the second part is happening.
At least in this case it sounds like an inversion of Splinter Cell, going from relatively linear and closed to way more open. Though MGS was kind of in flux from 4 onwards, MGS1-3 were essentially refinements of MG1&2.

Yes, they're both part of MGSV, but he said Ground Zeroes will come first and The Phantom Pain later.

sappyday

It's like Ubi Soft replacing Ironside in Splinter Cell.

I just lost all attachment to the character and probably the storyline. I've never been all that amazed by MGS gameplay anyway, so I think I'm out.

They jumped the fire whale.

It's just a voice. As long the portrayal of the character is the same then there shouldn't be a problem. For example, I grew up with Mickey Mouse cartoons and I couldn't imagine anyone else being able to do the character justice other than Wayne Allwine, but Mickey's new VA is fantastic and sticks true to the character.

I'm pretty sure the same will be done here and probably even better considering Hayter's last performances as the characters.

When he said that the third guy I though he was fucking with us one more time, but then I remembered this:

2UVILpg.jpg

Genius, lol.

nickp

Neo Member
Wow. Geoff asked Kojima my question from Twitter! I asked about "V has come to." and why it's called "V" instead of "5." :D

SJRB

Gold Member
Is this seriously the only thing to come out of an hour-long interview?

Come on, there must be more than this.

Slime

Banned
The fact that they're being so coy about who's replacing Hayter has me convinced (as some other posters have already said) Kiefer Sutherland has been cast as Snake in the movie and they want the games to reflect that now.

Was hoping there would be a story explanation/Kojima mindfuck, but you could tell from his tone that it's something business-y. Bummer.

Camjo-Z

Wow, Hayter really isn't in? Looks like I'm not going to buy this game then.

i would have never bought this or any other metal gear games but hayter's voice acting was one of the few things I enjoyed about the series

Alfredo

I see this posted a lot and now you people have me wondering if these posts are serious.

I can see it happening. I wasn't going to buy Max Payne 3 because it wasn't going to have James McCaffrey.

I'm not the biggest MGS fan. I have yet to finish 3, and haven't really played much of 4. I can see myself skipping these games entirely because of no Hayter.

The Jason

I thought he meant GZ will come first means in terms of story, not actual release date.

Well he said GZ is a prologue, and put together the two 'pieces' will comprise MGSV. Then goes on to say that GZ will come first, then later TPP will come along. So it seems to imply two separate releases.

But I agree that it is confusing because he also says he cant comment on how they will be distributed...

The fact that they're being so coy about who's replacing Hayter has me convinced (as some other posters have already said) Kiefer Sutherland has been cast as Snake in the movie and they want the games to reflect that now.

Was hoping there would be a story explanation/Kojima mindfuck, but you could tell from his tone that it's something business-y. Bummer.

I really don't think Sutherland is going to be voicing two different people. It could be that if an actor has been cast they'd go with the film actor, but we'll see.

madhtr

Considering this is just a trailer, with not much voice acting, there's no telling who is voicing who... If Hayter isn't voicing Snake, then it's not likely Kiefer is going to voice a secondary character like he is in the trailer. Hell, knowing Kojima, at E3, we could hear completely different VAs.

Superflat

Hmm, I would guess Ground Zeroes could be a downloadable title, sold at a reduced price, with Phantom Pain coming as a full retail release.

That's what I'd want, anyway.

Interesting to hear Kojima say that they're trying to re-invent the series in some ways, and that it's going to be a different game than what the series has been. I honestly wasn't all that interested in MGS's mechanics by the third game, I haven't played 4 or Peace Walker, but this sparked some interest in me.

Blablurn

Kojima seems way more vital compared to his MGS4 times. He seemed really frustrated back then. Glad he is doing well. Can't wait for those games. I'm ready for some changes!

Kojima seems way more vital compared to his MGS4 times. He seemed really frustrated back then. Glad he is doing well. Can't wait for those games. I'm ready for some changes!

must be some midlife crisis thing, even MGS4 trailer is fucking depressing with old snake trying suicide etc. compare to mgs v, even though it'll probably have some dark theme as well like the kid soldier, violence and torture stuff, I don't feel depressed with the promo material so far.

actually I felt pretty melancholic, nostalgic vibe for MGSV so far.

Well, he had to completely change his original concept for MGS4 when the specs for the PS3 were changed. So that was probably very stressful for him and the team.

The Jason

Yeah it seems like he is excited to makes some changes. The open-world, strategic type of gameplay that he is describes sounds perfect for MGS. It reminds me of far cry 3, coming up to a base, scoping it out, then sneaking in.

Radec

I wonder why he hasnt learned how to speak english.

Its been decades and most of his fans are not japanese.

:/

Anyway, I hope we get to see a release date in E3.

UrbanRats

I'm really bummed by the Hayter thing, but this is the game i'm more excited about aside from GTAV, and haven't been in a bunch of years, so yeah.. i'm ready for Kojima to bring the heat.

It's looking awesome so far.

Also, I really hope it is his last Metal Gear game. Like George Lucas and Star Wars, it's time to pass the torch on and either retire MGS altogether or hand it to a new team and let them bring new ideas to the series.

Kojima does seem very enthusiastic about reinventing the game though, something that must be very difficult in the Japanese development community. Sounds like he's had enough time to get everything right... which he should have, it has been five years since MGS4 after all.

jgminto

Regarding David Hayter, it sucks to see him go, his version of Snake is absolutely iconic, but his performance in Peace Walker was pretty terrible. He really couldn't get more gravelly while still being understandable. And since the only way David can show age is more gravel, in Phantom Pain he'd probably sound like a cement mixer full of gravel.

Having GZ and TPP as separate games but part of the same experience is certainly surprising. I'm wondering how they will do it. Will GZ be a downloadable title with a shorter campaign or a retail release similar in length to the previous games but smaller than TPP? I can't imagine it'll be episodic and you'll buy and launch TPP through the same client as it's supposed to be a bigger open world.

I also hope that is really is Kojima with Big Boss and Miller. It makes sense in the universe and would be hilarious.

Top Bottom