• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers interview: Kojima answers EVERY question on Metal Gear Solid V

I'm seriously shocked by all the people who are disappointed by the lack of Hayter. Dude hasn't been great since the original Metal Gear Solid and has only been getting worse each new game in the series.

Regardless of what you may think of his performance, it's an incredibly iconic role and performance. It shouldn't surprise anyone that people would be upset that Hayter has been replaced. Just in terms of consistency, it's a jarring change. Besides, the fact that he's been getting worse has been more down to Kojima's inability to write interesting stuff for Big Boss. He has this awful tendency to write Big Boss as being much stupider, much more dumber than his combat experience would suggest.

It's no surprise that Hayter was at his best in MGS1, because Kojima actually wrote to the character, rather than to the player/avatar; which has been a big problem in terms of writing ever since MGS3, almost as if Kojima couldn't shake off that style of writing since Raiden and MGS2. It worked brilliantly for MGS2, because Raiden essentially was the player. I always feel that whenever I play as Big Boss, that he's dumber than am I, which for someone who is the greatest solider of all time, is a problem.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol @ people thinking Snake is voiced by Sutherland.

duckroll

My two cents: episodic releases for PS3/360 and full package for PS4/720.

I think it will be a full package for all consoles, but only when MGSV:TPP is released. Before then, Ground Zeroes will be sold on its own either as a downloadable title or a cheaper retail package. It's basically a paid demo of sorts, but with much more content than a "normal" demo. I've been saying this for some time now!

The only people who will end up buying "two games" for MGSV are those who can't wait for the finished product. I guess that will be... most of us. Lol.

StuBurns

Banned
VA sounds like Troy Baker to me, especially coming straight off Infinite.

As for this separation of the games, it is the only thing that makes sense given the conference. GZs being a prologue, you wouldn't have a tutorial at the start of TPP. Now my issue is just how and what GZs will be, and if it should have been included in that trailer if we have to buy it.

Ideally, it's on the disc, but is also a preorder bonus, available at least a month ahead of the real thing. We shall see.

I think it will be a full package for all consoles, but only when MGSV:TPP is released. Before then, Ground Zeroes will be sold on its own either as a downloadable title or a cheaper retail package. It's basically a paid demo of sorts, but with much more content than a "normal" demo. I've been saying this for some time now!

The only people who will end up buying "two games" for MGSV are those who can't wait for the finished product. I guess that will be... most of us. Lol.

my feeling is that Ground Zeroes will not be long to beat, but the replayability will be way higher than normal mgs mission. it'll be good to demonstrate what 'open world' means in metal gear game.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
As a huge MGS fan I'm actually glad David Hayter isn't in MGV. Because his work in MGS3 and onwards were all awful. He was only "okay" in MGS2.

winstano

Oh, also the "The third guy in the hospital is me" almost makes a bit of sense, given that you can recruit Kojima in Peace Walker...

jgminto

Yep. Damn you Kojima.

One thing that does disappoint me about no Hayter, I loved the speech at the end of Peace Walker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMilA34KGXw If you know the arc of Big Boss it's not really a spoiler.

Would be pretty cool to hear him play Big Boss if they ever redid the Metal Gear stories.

my feeling is that Ground Zeroes will not be long to beat, but the replayability will be way higher than normal mgs mission. it'll be good to demonstrate what 'open world' means in metal gear game.

The fact they showed off a full day night cycle on that map was interesting, because the way I'm picturing it, you'll never see daylight on Guantanemo in the mission. It could be they throw in some bonus modes which also take place on that map, but then again it could just be that they were showing off they have the tech to do that anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
The fact they showed off a full day night cycle on that map was interesting, because the way I'm picturing it, you'll never see daylight on Guantanemo in the mission. It could be they throw in some bonus modes which also take place on that map, but then again it could just be that they were showing off they have the tech to do that anyway.
He said you can choose when to do missions, presumably there are advantages to day versus night, maybe higher enemy counts and lower enemy visibility at night for more stealthy players, the opposite in the day for people who just want to kill everyone.

duckroll

That's also what I've been saying. I predict that Ground Zeroes will be more like Peace Walker in terms of overall design where there are a lot of smaller generic optional missions, and stuff which is really easy to add more content for with a modular design. There will be a few big areas, and you can approach any mission with any sort of equipment setup you want or you can just explore around and fuck around.

It's basically going to be something to keep players busy while they finish up TPP, and then your save carries over.

He said you can choose when to do missions, presumably there are advantages to day versus night, maybe higher enemy counts and lower enemy visibility at night for more stealthy players, the opposite in the day for people who just want to kill everyone.

In the full game absolutely, but the intro sequence is directly tied to that mission opening, and even though they showed a daytime version of the intro, I don't see that being available except as an extra.

That's also what I've been saying. I predict that Ground Zeroes will be more like Peace Walker in terms of overall design where there are a lot of smaller generic optional missions, and stuff which is really easy to add more content for with a modular design. There will be a few big areas, and you can approach any mission with any sort of equipment setup you want or you can just explore around and fuck around.

It's basically going to be something to keep players busy while they finish up TPP, and then your save carries over.

Oh I'm seeing it as something smaller than that, just the one map. Plus maybe some gameplay in the Mother Base attack but I'm not sure about that. One story mission and perhaps some bonus fucking around missions to unlock. I guess it depends on if this will be charged for, and if so, how much.

One thing that's obvios is Chico's cage is only on the bottom right of the map, Snake really doesn't have far to go to get there so presumably things will happen which make it necessary to travel around the rest of the base.

StuBurns

Banned
In the full game absolutely, but the intro sequence is directly tied to that mission opening, and even though they showed a daytime version of the intro, I don't see that being available except as an extra.
What intro sequence? The Chico thing? That could be shown at night, as we've seen it, but Snake could scale that rock face, and take on the mission at any point after that I would imagine.

It's the same engine, so design toolset-wise, it makes sense for them be able to do that, and to show it as they seemingly don't want to show the real meaty areas of MGS5 just yet, but if the day/night option actually has an impact in gameplay, I don't see why they'd hold it back from GZ.

duckroll

I agree, I don't think you'll be able to approach the first story event in daylight simply because the opening for any game is scripted, even open world games. But based on the comments, it's also clear that this mission is not going to be the ONLY mission in Ground Zeroes. Kojima confirms that Ground Zeroes is also open world, and will offer many of the things TPP does, except on a slightly smaller scale.

Previously in an interview before TPP was unveiled, he also talked about Ground Zeroes in particular and mentioned how while it is an open world game, there will be loading between major zones which you travel to via helicopter. I believe he also confirmed that you will be able to walk around in Mother Base. So it's going to be a pretty substantial prologue imo.

Oh I'm seeing it as something smaller than that, just the one map. Plus maybe some gameplay in the Mother Base attack but I'm not sure about that. One story mission and perhaps some bonus fucking around missions to unlock. I guess it depends on if this will be charged for, and if so how much.

Nah, sounds much larger than that.

Previously in an interview before TPP was unveiled, he also talked about Ground Zeroes in particular and mentioned how while it is an open world game, there will be loading between major zones which you travel to via helicopter. I believe he also confirmed that you will be able to walk around in Mother Base. So it's going to be a pretty substantial prologue imo.

Yep but I'm taking that to mean that applies more to the Phantom Pain, which he couldn't talk about back then. Then again, he really seems to like talking about these separately, so I could be wrong.

What intro sequence? The Chico thing? That could be shown at night, as we've seen it, but Snake could scale that rock face, and take on the mission at any point after that I would imagine.

It's a single camera shot for the whole intro all the way through to the gameplay.

Kojima is trying to make his game into a movie, this can either be a great change or a terrible mistake, RIP Hayter

I think Phantom pain is for current gen, and ground zeroes is next gen, if they are two seperate games

duckroll

Yep but I'm taking that to mean that applies more to the Phantom Pain, which he couldn't talk about back then.

I don't think so. Even way back then, he was pretty candid about it. He said that Ground Zeroes is the prequel to MGS5. He had no reason to say that if he was trying to hide everything completely. Based on his comments, I think it's fair to think that Ground Zeroes is a full featured title, just a smaller one. It's not going to be one map and one mission.

As it stands, yes, but the exact cutscene shot was shown in daylight, so I don't think it will be.

Did you see the actual presentation? That wasn't to show that the scene can take place in the day, it was to show how the scene still looks relatively good even with a total lighting change. There were a lot of flaws in the daytime scene which indicate it's designed to be at night and in the rain - mainly how the characters looked and the wet surface on all their clothing.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think so. Even way back then, he was pretty candid about it. He said that Ground Zeroes is the prequel to MGS5. He had no reason to say that if he was trying to hide everything completely. Based on his comments, I think it's fair to think that Ground Zeroes is a full featured title, just a smaller one. It's not going to be one map and one mission.
I think that's a logical stance based on what's been shown and discussed about GZs, but I think it clashes with the realities of production and marketing. The project you're describing would presumably have a very substantial development cost, more than many full priced games no doubt. And the two games releasing close to each other would cannibalize the market, so I'd either think GZ is very small, or they're not releasing close to each other, and given MGS5 is PS360, it's shipping in the next year.

Did you see the actual presentation? That wasn't to show that the scene can take place in the day, it was to show how the scene still looks relatively good even with a total lighting change. There were a lot of flaws in the daytime scene which indicate it's designed to be at night and in the rain - mainly how the characters looked and the wet surface on all their clothing.
I did watch it, yeah, but I didn't listen to it. I guess that makes sense.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So did I get this right. Ground Zeroes is set after Phantom Pain. Phantom Pain begins with a tutorial that teaches the basics of the game. Ground Zeroes is released first despite being set later, and will act as a tutorial despite Phantom Pain having a tutorial. Also Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate games, but footage of Ground Zeroes is promonently featured in the Phantom Pain trailer.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

So did I get this right. Ground Zeroes is set after Phantom Pain.

No they specifically say GZ is set 9 years earlier.

The Phantom Pain starts with a "tutorial" in the hospital which is more of a gimmicky Kojima style simulation of how a person would feel after waking up from a coma (so you start crawling, and then you slowly regain the ability to walk).

Yeah it's perhaps a bad word to choose, there aren't many games which will so laboriously teach you how to crawl by pushing forwards(?) for 5 minutes. Well maybe MGS1 before the tank hanger...

duckroll

So did I get this right. Ground Zeroes is set after Phantom Pain. Phantom Pain begins with a tutorial that teaches the basics of the game. Ground Zeroes is released first despite being set later, and will act as a tutorial despite Phantom Pain having a tutorial. Also Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate games, but footage of Ground Zeroes is promonently featured in the Phantom Pain trailer.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

No. You got it wrong. :(

Ground Zeroes is set right after Peace Walker ends, and 9 years before The Phantom Pain starts. The Phantom Pain starts with a "tutorial" in the hospital which is more of a gimmicky Kojima style simulation of how a person would feel after waking up from a coma (so you start crawling, and then you slowly regain the ability to walk).

Ground Zeroes is a product which will be released before The Phantom Pain, and serves as a prologue and teaser. It is smaller than The Phantom Pain, but more familiar to fans (because it's set right after Peace Walker), and introduces the open world mechanics of MGSV.

sajj316

Gut feel is Ground Zero is for PS3/360 and Phantom Pain is for PS4/720. I know it sounds crazy to split games across consoles but maybe Kojima had technical limitations on current gen so GZ ended up being a smaller world teaser.

Ragus

Banned
So, it's going to be like The Tanker Incident -> Big Shell and Virtuous Mission -> Snake Eater, but this time on a bigger scale?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gut feel is Ground Zero is for PS3/360 and Phantom Pain is for PS4/720. I know it sounds crazy to split games across consoles but maybe Kojima had technical limitations on current gen so GZ ended up being a smaller world teaser.

Your gut makes no sense. Sorry!

So, it's going to be like The Tanker Incident -> Big Shell and Virtuous Mission -> Snake Eater, but this time on a bigger scale?

Thats how it looks like, except if Kojima made the first part of the game a free demo, but I dont think the chances for that are high.

Gambit

ah finally we know why the Miiverse hack said "metal gear solids" (plural). It all becomes clear now.

poor Wii U

duckroll

No, this has been shot down multiple times. Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are both for the PS3 and 360. This has been confirmed by Konami and Kojima multiple times. They will probably both be cross-gen, especially since I think it's likely Ground Zeroes will be included with The Phantom Pain anyway, when the full Metal Gear Solid V game ships.

sajj316

No, this has been shot down multiple times. Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are both for the PS3 and 360. This has been confirmed by Konami and Kojima multiple times. They will probably both be cross-gen, especially since I think it's likely Ground Zeroes will be included with The Phantom Pain anyway, when the full Metal Gear Solid V game ships.

Ah ok. Sorry, haven't kept too close to all things MGSV.

Especially since I think it's likely Ground Zeroes will be included with The Phantom Pain anyway, when the full Metal Gear Solid V game ships.

I'm not to sure about that part, perhaps a download code so used copies will have to get it separately. argh what am I thinking.

jgminto

One thing I'm really wondering about with this is if they'll reuse the areas from GZ in TPP or if TPP will be totally different maps.

Kojima is trying to make his game into a movie, this can either be a great change or a terrible mistake, RIP Hayter

I think Phantom pain is for current gen, and ground zeroes is next gen, if they are two seperate games

why do people say this, everything we've seen so far from MGSV is the total opposite of trying to be movie, saying it's open world, you can drive cars around, summon helicopter, decide what time of day to carry out your mission etc, this is probably the most open ended game Kojima ever make

I'm not to sure about that part, perhaps a download code so used copies will have to get it separately. argh what am I thinking.

I think it's the same as GT 5 prologue and final GT 5, all GT5 content like cars and tracks end up in the final GT5 anyway. they're not throwing all those away.

duckroll

I believe the key is in how Kojima envisions the game. He says MGSV = Prologue + Main Game. GZ = Prologue. TPP = Main Game. The full product is called "MGSV: TPP", like "MGS3:SE". So while TPP refers to the main part of the MGSV experience, I believe as long as the product is called MGSV, it will include both GZ and TPP.

I believe the key is in how Kojima envisions the game. He says MGSV = Prologue + Main Game. GZ = Prologue. TPP = Main Game. The full product is called "MGSV: TPP", like "MGS3:SE". So while TPP refers to the main part of the MGSV experience, I believe as long as the product is called MGSV, it will include both GZ and TPP.

and depends on how long the gap between release I think, if it's just around 3 months max, I can see Ground Zero omitted from MGSV. if it's longer, I think they'll just include GZ content to MGSV

Elios83

I'm not sure what's their strategy.
Maybe Ground Zero is some kind of prologue like the tanker mission in MGS2 or the virtuoso mission in MGS3. Maybe it lasts 3-5 hours instead of 1-2 hours and so they want to distribute it separately before the actual MGSV: Phantom Pain game is released.
Still I'd prefer to see both included in a single game for next gen consoles and that's what I'm looking forward to play.
Hopefully Kojima doesn't mess up....

Epcott

Hmm, I guess my only real concern now is how long Ground Zeros will be. I'll be extremely pissed if it's only a 4 hour game.

I can see Phantom Pain being the usual 9 hours plus, since he says its a long game. And if this really IS his last MGS this time, I wonder if its final act is going to be a time jump of 10 yrs an be an open world map of Outter Heaven? I have a feeling we'll at least see or play in Outter Heaven (either finished or while under construction).

Hopefully Kojipro LA can get started on a new Snatcher and Policenaughts. Would love to see updates from those games using nearby Hollywood assets.

Caesnd

The mystery around Diamond Dogs is pretty interesting. No doubt, at least some of the new characters that kojima aluded to will be part of that unit? Here's to hoping kojima can treat the child soldier theme with a modicum of tact as well.

duckroll

This is relevant to the discussion: http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/27/metal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes_interview_kojima_talks_open_worlds/

It’s an open world game, and Kojima is quick to point out just how much freedom this will give players, “because it’s open world you can move freely, and infiltrate the base any way you want. But this area here is just a prologue of the game.”

“You can call in a chopper any time, anywhere you want,” Kojima continued, “and the way the game system will work, is that when you call in a helicopter, you can return back to your base, or head to another mission. It is also possible to use helicopters for support as well.”

Kojima revealed that the game’s base-building element could go hand-in-hand with smartphone integration, Kojima reflected on the base-building element of Metal gear Solid: Peace Walker, “We liked the concept of developing weapons and creating new things at your base, and how that influenced the gameplay.”

“That was a really cool idea,” Kojima continued, “and something that was very popular. Furthermore, nowadays they’re making new ways to access games. You’re not just playing on your game console, you can also access them from your cellphone and other devices to access that same game.”

Kojima added, “So I think that type of ‘Mother Base’ system would work very well in that kind of system, and it’s something we’re planning on in Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. I can’t reveal too much about what happens after you get in your chopper, but you get in and fly to your base.”

“Then you can walk around your base all in real-time,” Kojima continued, “it’s the base that you create. But if you want to focus more on the main missions, you can do that, so you don’t have to customise the base if you don’t want to.”

“This particular stage is a small sample of the open world we have in mind,” Kojima explained, “and again, this is just a prologue. But what happens is that there will be larger open worlds, and you can use the helicopter between those open world stages.”

“You have to be careful about where you call the chopper, because if it gets spotted it can be shot down,” Kojima added, as the helicopter starts to land while blasting out Ride of the Valkyries. It’s a nice touch, and the dynamic wind effects as the vehicle lands looks superb, whipping foliage around violently.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes will also feature a day-night cycle, but it isn’t scripted, and gameplay will be affected by what time it is, “Later on in the game, time will pas in real-time,” Kojima explained, “so depending on how you travel between one stage to the next, that travel time will effect the time of day when you arrive at your destination.”

So I guess the question here is, how many people believe that he's talking about all of Ground Zeroes. If the first stage shown in the demo was the prologue (first mission) of a prologue (all of Ground Zeroes), then it could be a pretty substantial product on its own.

----

and depends on how long the gap between release I think, if it's just around 3 months max, I can see Ground Zero omitted from MGSV. if it's longer, I think they'll just include GZ content to MGSV

Yes, I agree with this. But I also believe that Ground Zeroes is coming out this year, and MGSV:TPP is coming out later next year.

jett

D-Member
Ah man Konami is really trying to maximize sales out of this shit. :/ I'll only find it acceptable if the GZ portion is released considerably ahead of the main game, and for a heavily discounted price.

duckroll

Ah man Konami is really trying to maximize sales out of this shit. :/ I'll only find it acceptable if the GZ portion is released considerably ahead of the main game, and for a heavily discounted price.

My personal threshold is probably 30-40 bucks for Ground Zeroes released by Fall this year, with maybe 5+ hours of main story gameplay, and enough content and optional fun stuff to mess around with it as much as I want beyond that.

If the deal is worse than that, I'll seriously have to consider how loyal a MGS fanboy I am. :p

Top Bottom