• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers interview: Kojima answers EVERY question on Metal Gear Solid V

Not too torn up by Haytergate, he had gone well past the point of absurdity with Snake. Though some part of me does wonder if there's some sort of "meta" stuff going on.

DeVeAn

My pet peeve is voice changes. Especially when its a character with a certain voice for so long. I gotta say I think it sucks.

PokéKong

The Hayter thing really sucks, but I can mostly forgive it since this is at least Big Boss and he's getting close to his old age which was depicted with a different voice before.

But if we ever have a remake of MG1/2, or the series in any way starts to show the stories of Solid Snake and Big Boss collide, and Snake isn't voiced by Hayter that would seriously suck ass and feel downright wrong.

BigBoss

Do you guys think we will see ocelot or anything ocelot related in this new entry?

2013-03-2720_52_25-_mk7lny.png

Maybe?

I dont understand the complaints of Hayter's voice being the issue. If it was an issue you would of figured Kojima/Kris Zimmerman would of nipped that in the bud long ago.

nickp

Neo Member
It's nice to finally know all the footage we've see has been running on PC.

Yeah. I like how upfront he was about it at yesterday's GDC presentation. Before he showed the Phantom Pain gameplay demo, he was quick to point out that it was running on PC and even made an effort to show the 360 controller he was using to control it. Transparency is great and this industry needs a lot more of it.

Hayter is Snake to me. Some other voice just isn't going to work even if it is a better performance because it is not Snake to me.

Zinthar

Yeah it was great for that simple action hero we all love, but Kojima wants to evolve the character and the world of MGS, so I can see why the change happened.

The Japanese voice actor sounds lot more natural and versatile which explains why he's still there.

I don't think Hayter was the problem as much as the often absurd lines he was asked to deliver in this series. Hayter was great in the role of the male Jedi Knight in SW:TOR.

jonnyp

It is strange because Hayter seems really bummed about it so I don't know what could possibly have caused a rift big enough behind the scenes that led to Kojima and team just ignoring him.

Again, to each their own, but I'm not hearing this "hamming it up for years" stuff I see. We'll disagree, but Hayter has been doing great in each Metal Gear game he has been in. Besides, I'd rather him come back and give the character another round than someone completely new and jarringly familiar from outside properties come in and portray a character that already had a fantastic voice.

Hayter has been consistently awful, however during the MGS1 era there wasn't much else of equal cinematic quality to compare it to so we thought it was good (at the time). Today, there's no excuse for such poor voice acting.

I'm glad Kojima had the balls to make a change, but I'm not holding my breath for him to hire a talented script writer/editor to help out with his scripts. Still love Metal Gear though, but they all could've been so much better with better scripts, dialogue and voice acting.

dc89

This is a fucking fantastic interview. It's very focused, very detailed, and very informative. Geoff REDEEMED.

Yeah Geoff is really good at these kind of big name interviews.

Day Zero for the game for me. Really looks interesting.

I suppose if they're going for Sutherland as Snake, then it must be for the sake of attempting to grow their audience, because despite the MGS series selling respectably over the course of its life, it doesn't do Halo/COD etc. numbers. A high profile voice actor for the main character is probably part of a strategy to boost sales. It kind of bums me out that it's probably not Doyle, he did a fantastic job in MGS4.

I don't get this idea that Hayter got worse as the series went on. Worse as compared to what? He's Snake's voice - anything that changes in his performance is reflecting the changes in Snake's character. If Hayter was doing something wrong the voice director would have told him to cut that shit out. Saying some new actor is going to come along and do a better job of being Snake is ludicrous. "Yeah, I like that Clint Eastwood guy, but it would have been better if they'd cast someone else as Clint Eastwood playing that part."

You guys aren't blaming him for MGS4's dialogue being terrible, right? Snake's whole role in that game is grunting and that awful anime thing where you interrupt someone by saying their name and then don't follow up with anything - he barely gets any actual lines. MGS4's script was a write-off before any voice actors were even hired.

Sounds like we'll be getting Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain separately. Ties into how Kojima was interested in episodic releases. Ground Zeroes first and then Phantom Pain, as Ground Zeroes "eases us" into the sneaking and whatnot, and Phantom Pain is a huge game that continues.

This is just the worst way to market Ground Zeroes.

Grief.exe

PokéKong;51908895 said:
The Hayter thing really sucks, but I can mostly forgive it since this is at least Big Boss and he's getting close to his old age which was depicted with a different voice before.

But if we ever have a remake of MG1/2, or the series in any way starts to show the stories of Solid Snake and Big Boss collide, and Snake isn't voiced by Hayter that would seriously suck ass and feel downright wrong.

This is what I'm assuming will happen.

We will have MGS1 prequels, or MG1/2 remakes, with Snake voiced by Hayter and Big Boss voiced by Sutherland.

I don't get this idea that Hayter got worse as the series went on. Worse as compared to what? He's Snake's voice - anything that changes in his performance is reflecting the changes in Snake's character. If Hayter was doing something wrong the voice director would have told him to cut that shit out. Saying some new actor is going to come along and do a better job of being Snake is ludicrous. "Yeah, I like that Clint Eastwood guy, but it would have been better if they'd cast someone else as Clint Eastwood playing that part."

You guys aren't blaming him for MGS4's dialogue being terrible, right? Snake's whole role in that game is grunting and that awful anime thing where you interrupt someone by saying their name and then don't follow up with anything - he barely gets any actual lines. MGS4's script was a write-off before any voice actors were even hired.

Take the final scene in MGS4, He just gets monologued to death. There was so much more Kojima could have done with that scene, rather than Big Boss explain stuff to an incredulous Snake, but then that has been a series trademark, so what was I expecting. Still, it's something the Kojima needs to grow out of, because it doesn't really lend itself to compelling dialogue between two characters. There was very little emotion, and the only really good bit was at the end and the final line from Big Boss. It shouldn't take 15 minutes to get there.

Hayter did fine with the limited dialogue he was given, and he was always hamstrung by being the least compelling character in each game, bar the first. However, he should have been reigned in a little, his best performance was the PS1 game where the gruffness of the voice was a nice idiosyncratic touch, whereas in subsequent games he seemed to be a doing a caricature of Snake.

This is what I'm assuming will happen.

We will have MGS1 prequels, or MG1/2 remakes, with Snake voiced by Hayter and Big Boss voiced by Sutherland.

I'm fine with Big Boss evolving beyond Hayter doing the voice, Doyle did such an amazing job that I want to play as that version of Big Boss one day. However, it just would feel wrong to play Solid Snake as anyone other than Hayter. Not to mention I'd be really interested in hearing a younger, less gruff Solid Snake, and seeing what Hayter could do with that. I'm less interested in hearing Jack Bauer do Big Boss. I'm hoping that this an elaborate ruse by Kojima, setting the stage for a surprise Solid Snake reveal in Phantom Pain, voiced by Hayter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has Sutherland been confirmed, or are people just going off the voice?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I loooooove the sci fi fantasy shit, as phrased in the OP. That's a major reason I'm more interested in MGSV than past MGS games. Fucking fire whales!

Hayter has been consistently awful, however during the MGS1 era there wasn't much else of equal cinematic quality to compare it to so we thought it was good (at the time). Today, there's no excuse for such poor voice acting.

I'm glad Kojima had the balls to make a change, but I'm not holding my breath for him to hire a talented script writer/editor to help out with his scripts. Still love Metal Gear though, but they all could've been so much better with better scripts, dialogue and voice acting.

Awful? Jeez, that word makes it sound as if this belongs with some low-budget rip-off game with a first time voice actor who sounds like he is speaking and reading his lines like a high school play directly off a cue card. I have always appreciated his effort through things like the increasing amount of exasperation in his voice to go with the age of Old Snake. The increasing the amount of raspiness to go with the age (and style) of the characters. The more deliberate delivery style of Big Boss. The exhausted, paused breathing between words. His effort into the voice has been fantastic, in my opinion. Both for Solid Snake and Big Boss. Likewise, the delivery of his lines have been good given some of awkward and at times poor writing some of the games have at times. He isn't all perfect mind you, but neither have much have of the other actors been either.

Mr. RHC

Really sad about David Hayter.

But also other interesting bits of information.

V for Victory
everybody should just play Peace Walker, no Peace Walker, no win

20% sci fi, wow, 20% of " You like Castlevania, don't you???"

V for Victory
everybody should just play Peace Walker, no Peace Walker, no win

20% sci fi, wow, 20% of " You like Castlevania, don't you???"

Well, Peace Walker is like 80% Sci Fi.
And MGS always had a decent amout of supernatural stuff until suddenly nanomachines.

actually its a team evilore theory

Explains why he didn't vote...

Edit: damn I'm listening to the gameplay again and I'm wondering if it's possible. GET OUT OF MY HEAD, BAUER.

Sorral

I will be kidding myself if I said I don't want the game now after no Hayter.
But it makes it easier to wait until the game is cheap. No matter how 'comical or weird' people say that Hayter's voice have become in the later MGS games, he is still the character.

Also, the new direction stuff is kinda bullshit excuse when Otsuka is being kept for the JP VA. Maybe Sutherlandis really playing Snake in the MGS movie I guess. Still, there will always be that disconnect from the character now that it sounds like Jack Bauer all the time.

The people hating on Hayter are very strange to me. Is it now that he is out, he is suddenly no longer good?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
My understanding from the trailer was that Sutherland voices Big Boss and his bandaged clone.

I can't say the jettisoning of Hayter bothers me, his voice was fine but any voice actor can mimic it easily if they so choose.

Raonak

Banned
Ugh. No hayter is seriously dissapointing, theres no real reason for it either since GZ takes place right after PW.

Snake's voice was one of the most iconic things about him.
and if that theory about sutherland being cast as snake in the movie being the reason hayter is being axed would be a massively dick move by kojima/konami.

I hope this is kojima trolling us, and come E3, we'll see a trailer where the screen goes all black and we hear Hayter say "Kept ya waiting, huh?"
I would simultaneous shit brix and cry tears of joy and proclaim that kojima is the greatest man alive.

However, he should have been reigned in a little, his best performance was the PS1 game where the gruffness of the voice was a nice idiosyncratic touch, whereas in subsequent games he seemed to be a doing a caricature of Snake.

I don't know, I think his voice has always been perfectly suited to the nature of the games. A tastefully subdued performance would have been so out of place in MGS4, for example, which is one of the most ridiculous games in existence (I love that game dearly, by the way, but it's impossible to love every single part of it).

At this point, Hayter's been Snake or Big Boss in six games, over fifteen years. The time when it might have been acceptable to replace him with another actor just to get some unquantifiably 'better' performance has long passed. Snake isn't exactly Sherlock Holmes, some famed literary figure who actors will jump at the chance to put their own spin on. He's basically a voice and a bandanna. For as long as he's been the series' protagonist he's never displayed any character traits beyond being a little bit fed up with things. Someone explain to me his motivations in MGS4, because I sure as hell can't work them out. Apart from a few, brief moments of character-hood he enjoyed while we were being Raiden, Snake repeats the end of the other person's sentence and does what he's told - the only real difference between Snake and Big Boss is that BB does it while wearing an eyepatch. You take away that voice and you're pretty much putting all the work on the character designer to remind you that this guy is still Snake.

I actually wouldn't mind terribly if Kojima was picking this point in the canon timeline to switch Big Boss over to Richard Doyle, because that has to happen at some point. I'd love to see a young, Hayter-voiced Solid Snake going up against Doyle Big Boss in MGS6 (or VI), a retelling of MG1 and 2. But if KojiPro has hired a random celebrity with a husky voice to take over, just so they can put a famous name on the box, that's crazy. Especially when the random celebrity has a voice so recognizable that we all knew who it was from the one line he spoke in the original Phantom Pain trailer. Are we all seriously pretending that Kiefer Sutherland is some Oscar-calibre talent here? Like he's going to bring a touch of class to the Metal Gear series with his hoarse shouting ability?

So Kojima said Phantom Pain takes place around 1984. In what year does Snake fight Big Boss? Of course there can always be progression of time in the storyline. I'd love for Solid Snake to be the final boss.

winstano

I'm sold. The lack of Hayter is a disappointment, but I don't get where people are coming from with Kiefer Sutherland? I'm sure that was a guy that sounded a bit like him who played the bandaged guy in the TPP trailer?

It sounds like this is a hugely ambitious project, and there were a couple of nice little hints in there about old characters returning "from the original saga"... That implies to me that it's definitely Psycho Mantis, because other characters from that era are pretty much a given to return, right?

Also, gotta love how pretty much everyone is dancing round the next-gen questions. "It's targeted for current gen, but it's running on a PC *wink*"

I don't know, I think his voice has always been perfectly suited to the nature of the games. A tastefully subdued performance would have been so out of place in MGS4, for example, which is one of the most ridiculous games in existence (I love that game dearly, by the way, but it's impossible to love every single part of it).

At this point, Hayter's been Snake or Big Boss in six games, over fifteen years. The time when it might have been acceptable to replace him with another actor just to get some unquantifiably 'better' performance has long passed. Snake isn't exactly Sherlock Holmes, some famed literary figure who actors will jump at the chance to put their own spin on. He's basically a voice and a bandanna. For as long as he's been the series' protagonist he's never displayed any character traits beyond being a little bit fed up with things. Someone explain to me his motivations in MGS4, because I sure as hell can't work them out. Apart from a few, brief moments of character-hood he enjoyed while we were being Raiden, Snake repeats the end of the other person's sentence and does what he's told - the only real difference between Snake and Big Boss is that BB does it while wearing an eyepatch. You take away that voice and you're pretty much putting all the work on the character designer to remind you that this guy is still Snake.

I actually wouldn't mind terribly if Kojima was picking this point in the canon timeline to switch Big Boss over to Richard Doyle, because that has to happen at some point. I'd love to see a young, Hayter-voiced Solid Snake going up against Doyle Big Boss in MGS6 (or VI), a retelling of MG1 and 2. But if KojiPro has hired a random celebrity with a husky voice to take over, just so they can put a famous name on the box, that's crazy. Especially when the random celebrity has a voice so recognizable that we all knew who it was from the one line he spoke in the original Phantom Pain trailer. Are we all seriously pretending that Kiefer Sutherland is some Oscar-calibre talent here? Like he's going to bring a touch of class to the Metal Gear series with his hoarse shouting ability?

I'd love this as well. However, this time give Hayter something interesting to say. I'm enthused for Doyle's version of Big Boss, Keifer's less so. Despite my criticism, slight as it is, of Hayer in some of the later games, it never felt out of place and was perfectly suited to the series high camp melodrama.

Danielsan

I'm seriously shocked by all the people who are disappointed by the lack of Hayter. Dude hasn't been great since the original Metal Gear Solid and has only been getting worse each new game in the series.

AniHawk

So Kojima said Phantom Pain takes place around 1984. In what year does Snake fight Big Boss? Of course there can always be progression of time in the storyline. I'd love for Solid Snake to be the final boss.

metal gear 1 and 2 take place in the mid-late 90s. the phantom pain will probably lead into those.

Savitar

I liked what Hayter did in each game so I'm bummed to see him go, granted not against a VA change but I'd have to wait and see how the Sutherland voice really goes with Snake to judge it as a success or not.

I take it the prologue will be similar to the Dead Rising 2 prologue that was done. Be either 15 bucks or 25 I imagine because hey.....people will pay that price for it.

Top Bottom