• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Justinh

Wait... What's happening with Pacther's show? What's he upto?

Yeah, it's a Siftd gig, but the episodes are posted on Youtube a week or so after they go up on Siftd.

LInks are in this thread. There have been 12 episodes so far.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1136714
Oh, If you already knew about that and was asking what's going on, iIRC they just started airing episodes from a shoot they did in January. I think the new one should be uploaded soon.

Yeah, it's a Siftd gig, but the episodes are posted on Youtube a week or so after they go up on Siftd.

LInks are in this thread. There have been 12 episodes so far.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1136714
Oh, If you already knew about that and was asking what's going on, iIRC they just started airing episodes from a shoot they did in January. I think the new one should be uploaded soon.

Thanks!

K.Sabot

FdFf07o.png

yeeeeeeeeees

Justinh

has the kyle one aired yet or are they going to be on together next week?

I thought he was supposed to be on the show on the 16th, but I guess we're going to have to wait for some clarification.

edit: ah...thereitis

Good two weeks for the show. I'll actually watch them now.

dickroach

Can they even speak freely yet?

I think everything's pretty much out there at this point.
the Defy suits told Brandon Monday morning that they were shutting GT down effective the following day. Brandon had to tell everyone they were fired shortly after. and now they're all looking for new jobs.

What'd there be to speak about? It's very apparent why Defy shut them down.

I think everything's pretty much out there at this point.
the Defy suits told Brandon Monday morning that they were shutting GT down effective the following day. Brandon had to tell everyone they were fired shortly after. and now they're all looking for new jobs.

Well, I would be interested to know if they were really unprofitable, or how much money they were loosing. All of the article going around spouting doom and gloom seem to assume that they were bleeding money, but Brandon Jones intimated that he didn't feel like them shutting GT down was really justified. I think he called it something like a "difference of opinion over the value of the company." This implies to me that they may have been making money, or perhaps not loosing as much as others have guessed.

J-Skee

As cool as its gonna be to hear from Brandon, I feel like Total Biscuit is just taking advantage of the situation for his own gain.

I highly doubt that, especially after his recent health issues. I'm sure people wanna hear what the people of GameTrailers have to say about what happened & this is a great way to hear that info.

Par Score

As cool as its gonna be to hear from Brandon, I feel like Total Biscuit is just taking advantage of the situation for his own gain.

You mean a dude who hitched his wagon to a hate mob for profit might not be having Bosman and Jones on his show solely out of the goodness of his heart? Say it ain't so.

I'm sure the community will have transcripts of the episodes out quickly enough to not give TB the clicks.

And the thought that he might do it to help those guys land on their feet by exposing them to the massive viewership of the Co-Optional Podcast doesn't strike you as even remotely realistic compared to your absurdly cynical view on TotalBiscuit? Sheesh. That kind of baseless, hostile negativity is the reason he doesn't visit social media anymore. Thanks for that.

Rewatching The Final Bosman's Top 10 Coolest Things to Do at E3 (2014). It's really weird to watching this one now after the closure. The whole joke about GT being sold to Defy, having to split up and Kyle being upset about that is now really really weird to look back at. I get that was just a joke at the time, but man is it legit weird to watch it now :(

Yeah, I had the same experience. I found it super comforting. It is so hard to feel bad while watching him sing to Shu.

Ochi

Neo Member
As much as I love the guys, sub-50k views for 90% of their content is not "ok" for 7 guys.

The painful thing is that every time a site upgrade happened, viewership and user activity plummeted. And the demand for YouTube was complicated by the viacom vs YouTube lawsuit and the fact that splitting revenue with YouTube means you need an even higher viewership. On the plus side once GT did go on youtube they did basically double their viewership, but on youtube they definitely needed more.

Even the mega hubs of neogaf and reddit as super sites in their own small way contributed to the demise of the site by keeping traffic away from the main website :/

Ultimately if I have gleaned anything, it's that GT (or rather, those in charge of it's stewardship) ultimately failed in "rebranding" GT for the site it became. The site transformed and transitioned multiple times from a content and editorial perspective, but so many people's perception was that of the really big GT with GTTV and all that. I've read so many posts from people who left after 2010, 2011, 2012, (Major viacom years) But never saw anything from 2014-2016.

The number of people who constantly bring up stuff from the days when micheal pachter, shane satterfield, and geoff keighly are people who essentially wrote GT off, and never looked back.

And that pains me. It pains me in ways that are difficult with words to describe. Even now despite the upwelling and outpouring of support it hurts for irrational reasons that I don't feel like explaining.

The painful thing is that every time a site upgrade happened, viewership and user activity plummeted. And the demand for YouTube was complicated by the viacom vs YouTube lawsuit and the fact that splitting revenue with YouTube means you need an even higher viewership. On the plus side once GT did go on youtube they did basically double their viewership, but on youtube they definitely needed more.

Even the mega hubs of neogaf and reddit as super sites in their own small way contributed to the demise of the site by keeping traffic away from the main website :/

Ultimately if I have gleaned anything, it's that GT (or rather, those in charge of it's stewardship) ultimately failed in "rebranding" GT for the site it became. The site transformed and transitioned multiple times from a content and editorial perspective, but so many people's perception was that of the really big GT with GTTV and all that. I've read so many posts from people who left after 2010, 2011, 2012, (Major viacom years) But never saw anything from 2014-2016.

The number of people who constantly bring up stuff from the days when micheal pachter, shane satterfield, and geoff keighly are people who essentially wrote GT off, and never looked back.

And that pains me. It pains me in ways that are difficult with words to describe. Even now despite the upwelling and outpouring of support it hurts for irrational reasons that I don't feel like explaining.

I understand exactly how you feel. It's extremely upsetting in ways I didn't think were possible, for the reasons you described.

An update:

I now Have the Lost RE2 Leon B stream on youtube. Thanks again Wavering Radiant. As he updates lost streams I'll put them on youtube for people.

I'm also working on getting the epic 12+ The Evil Within stream on youtube. So check out the page for more updates

RE3 Lost Stream
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4qsOm_FvoZHcJq2ePjlXTDUkCEuae1Dz

RE2 Leon B Stream
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4qsOm_FvoZET__Egr7VpDb_YNw3rpIBP

RE2 Claire A Stream
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4qsOm_FvoZH5uEdE8e2KFB_A8DeDoSFd

Top Bottom