• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

ito007

I know it's not much, but I decided to do an GameTrailers Tribute car on NFS.
DjEJp4.png

aMpmGh.png
This is way too cool.

TK-421

Has anyone put together the retrospective collection yet? I'd really like to download them all and be able to watch them.

Spman2099

They should get that Patreon up NOW. Interest is the highest it will ever be. I am sure they will do fine either way, but they are already taking too long. Don't piss around, guys; hash out the plan in a coffee fueled night, structure everything the following day, produce a proof-of-concept that night, and launch that shit immediately after. Timing is so damn important. Don't let the momentum die down!

They should get that Patreon up NOW. Interest is the highest it will ever be. I am sure they will do fine either way, but they are already taking too long. Don't piss around, guys; hash out the plan in a coffee fueled night, structure everything the following day, produce a proof-of-concept that night, and launch that shit immediately after. Timing is so damn important. Don't let the momentum die down!

True but you also don't want to launch a patreon without a plan. And coming up with a solid plan is tough, especially when there are several working parts and people involved.

so1337

Huber started streaming on his own channel today: twitch.tv/huber_hype

He said he'll be back streaming Dying Light either tonight or tomorrow and hopes to make streaming a regular thing.

Brandon has set up his own Twitch channel but has said he won't be streaming anything until late next week at the earliest as he's currently busy packing up the GT office (he is literally the only member of the GT staff allowed in the building, so it's going to take a while!). His channel is: http://www.twitch.tv/TrailerJones
A 13-year legacy and this is how you send it off? Shameful, Defy Media.

Currently the ticker for "Total Views" over in the Gametrailers Twitch page under the last stream reads: 6,616,148. Yet the archived stream only lists 21,000 views.

Does anyone know if that is the total for the channel or if that is that count of page serves since the last stream started? I'm trying to decide if any strange metrics are being recorded by twitch due to the ongoing chat occupation of the Gametrailers twitch page. Whatever the case, that is a whole lot of views!

Two Words

It sucks that they wouldn't be able to keep the GameTrailers name if they start something new. Not a lot of game sites with recognizable trademarks, but I think GT was one of them. Maybe they can do something like "GamerTrail" :p

Ochi

Neo Member
I mean technically I don't think Defy can copyright "GT", though they can definitely trademark the logos and other aspects.

but if they do go on as GT it'll be like how other groups like the NPD, where it used to have meaning, but now is only the letters

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks that they have to wait that long now. Would be a lot better to start something new while all eyes are on them.

It's the end of the week and there's no new GT Time greeting me on my podcast app :(

I really hope as many people as possible can carry the torch to another podcast. This still feels all so sudden...

Åesop;195011291 said:
It sucks that they have to wait that long now. Would be a lot better to start something new while all eyes are on them.

Maybe, but just imagine if you went into work today and found out that they were closing your branch completely that day. Do you think you would be ready to launch your own company in under 5 days?

Plus, imagine the ramifications if they did a rushed launch and get the community to support them only to out later that the actually couldn't quite deliver the kind of service everyone was hoping for. So they change dramatically change their business model (like cut the staff to three people or something like that). People could feel burned, or feel less inclined to trust their next venture since the first failed to meet their expectations.

Starting a business is expensive and risky and I'm not sure the crew has that much experience to easily manage a venture of that size. Like, how are they going to get health insurance, etc. I think it is probably a better plan to take a hit with some people loosing interest in order to get all of their ducks in a row to know exactly what their new product will be (gaming news podcasts or reviews or original shows) and how much it will cost to make it.

border

Outside of Gamespot and IGN, were there any other major media outlets that ran as long as Gametrailers? 13 years is an incredibly good run, considering all the competition.

Par Score

Wish it were GameSpot instead.

Losing GT sucks, and we're all feeling it, but fuck off with this kind of petty garbage.

Outside of Gamespot and IGN, were there any other major media outlets that ran as long as Gametrailers? 13 years is an incredibly good run, considering all the competition.

I assume you mean major games media outlets, because there are a hell of a lot of media outlets that have been around longer than 13 years.

Even inside gaming there are a fair few, Eurogamer has been going ~16 years for example.

Hasney

Wohooo he has tripled in followers since the stream. Great!

EDIT: Ian has also updated his site:

Ian Hinck ‏@IanHinck 3h3 hours ago
I've updated http://ianhinck.com/ with some weird new stuff. Also some actually useful stuff. But mostly just weird stuff.

Most notably with an editing reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t74LQFtRu5w

This site is amazing.

This mid distance... there's something strange about it... something unsettling...

Something a little too close... but not close enough... and also somehow far...

And it smells of lilacs, but not in a good way, the lilacs are somehow rotten, sickly. These are not the lilacs that perfumed the back patio of your parents' house, nor are they the sweet lilacs that remind you of your grandmother. No, these lilacs are the lilacs of ill-repute. Lilacs long dead, bringing with them not joy but fear and loss. As you stand there, staring into this horrid mid distance you realize that your nose is bleeding. You smell the blood before you feel it running down your face. The smell of the blood mixes with these damned lilacs and you wish you could run, but your coward feet will not move. You are rooted to the earth like those damned lilacs. Just then a terrible thought comes to you. A thought so outlandish and strange that it seems to come not from your own mind but from the impossible mouth of cruel fate. You look down at your hands, what you expect to be your hands, and your insane thought is proved true! The lilacs you are smelling, those evil deathly lilacs, are YOU. You are no longer a human being, you are a rotten gnarled ancient growth of lilacs. And you are trapped. You can not move. You can not speak. You simply stand, smelling the wretched stink of your twisted self. Your sap blood coursing too slowly through your nightmare veins. Tragically your mind is no less sharp. You are free to think, and dream, and speculate for all eternity. Hoping for a brush fire, or a farmer, or the choking death of mankind's polluted air to suffocate you out of this terrible prison. But you have no idea if the death of the plant would also mean your own merciful death. If the plant dies would you go with it? Or would you simply dry out, turn to dust, become the earth, still screaming in your filthy mind until the end of unforgiving time.

Hard to say.

I guess you'll have to wait and see.

Thanks.

Engell

9uC2Ndp.gif

Ochi

Neo Member
Yeah it's really fun, I spent some time a while ago going through all the choices, haha.

Also for people who might not be aware, Ian's also made a game, available for free on Win and Mac:

https://ianhinck.itch.io/ghost-needs-sheets

He's updated it recently with some new content.

Ah so this is the practical result of that one time on mandatory update nights when they ended it with a basic GT based rpg, (not to be confused with the other GT rpg made by Mazer)

Sharing some random stuff I had on my hard drive.
I hope to share some other stuff soon for those who want to download the videos instead of watching them on YouTube. Besides, I don't trust Defy Media (evilcorporate.gif), so I prefer to save up everything I can in case they opt to delete everything.

The King of Gaming - The PlayStation Autotune
Infographic - Ranking the Generations
Road to Next Gen - PlayStation 4
Road to Next Gen - Xbox One
GT Final Veredict - Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XV Breakdown (post-E3 2013 theory video)

sora87

It sucks that they wouldn't be able to keep the GameTrailers name if they start something new. Not a lot of game sites with recognizable trademarks, but I think GT was one of them. Maybe they can do something like "GamerTrail" :p

Actually i think it'd be for the best to go with a different name. I feel GameTrailers may have held them back and threw people off what they had become over the past 2 years.

Minions

Can anyone upload/host the following retropsectives, they don't exist on the website or youtube as far as I can tell:

Halo Retrospectives Part II and Part III

Ratchet And Clank Retrospective Part I

Fallout Retrospetive

D&D Retrospective

Daxter Retrospective

Aroll

True but you also don't want to launch a patreon without a plan. And coming up with a solid plan is tough, especially when there are several working parts and people involved.

They also openly stated they don't want to make any sudden moves until Bloodworth returns from his honeymoon. Even if Blood won't be part of the future with all of them, they aren't going to make any decisions until he is part of the conversation.

Maybe, but just imagine if you went into work today and found out that they were closing your branch completely that day. Do you think you would be ready to launch your own company in under 5 days?

Plus, imagine the ramifications if they did a rushed launch and get the community to support them only to out later that the actually couldn't quite deliver the kind of service everyone was hoping for. So they change dramatically change their business model (like cut the staff to three people or something like that). People could feel burned, or feel less inclined to trust their next venture since the first failed to meet their expectations.

Starting a business is expensive and risky and I'm not sure the crew has that much experience to easily manage a venture of that size. Like, how are they going to get health insurance, etc. I think it is probably a better plan to take a hit with some people loosing interest in order to get all of their ducks in a row to know exactly what their new product will be (gaming news podcasts or reviews or original shows) and how much it will cost to make it.

And they want Bloodworth in on the convo and he's on his honeymoon.

But you're right, a plan is always needed. Kinda Funny had a plan before they all hopped ship. The difference is they had time. GT's crew doesn't necessarily have time anymore (who knows when that last paycheck hits and if there is any severance package) - but if anything they should take the next couple of weeks to sort out if staying together on a new venture is possible.

Top Bottom