• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Can someone repost the Buttons MGSV ashes pic.

Can't seem to find it.

From a few pages ago

mzlBECg.png

Best thing I saw on there

Maybe I missed this but why didn't they mention they're closing(or closed) on the front page of their website, www.gametrailers.com?

RIP :(

My guess is because there is no one there to do it. I imagine they won't touch it now until they wipe the servers and redirect the site...

I like it this way, visiting the page now is like stepping into a time machine and traveling back to a time when GT still existed.

Holy shit, if that thread keeps hounding them for answers, it's gonna dry out fast. Has nobody on that sub lost their job before? You can't just magic shit out of thin air.

They aren't hounding them for answers, that thread is made to repost any official words by the GT staff.

mishakoz

Everyone was on their phones the whole time! Damiani missed the whole thing and only looked up right when it ended.

Mike had the "privilege" of managing social media during the conferences, so he was likely setting something up on twitter or Facebook.

CengizMan

I am still so sad because of this. It was obvious that they weren't doing too well, but I absolutely adore the work and attitude of this crew. Really going to miss them and wish all the best to everyone involved.

Damn. I don't know what to say, I hate when websites I grew up with shut down.

I enjoyed their reviews and videos, and their retrospectives were terrific. The Metroid and Resident Evil retrospectives were soooooo good. :(

I'd totally listen to that podcast, but I'd miss the other GT Time regulars. Last week was weird without Blood, it's weird when Ian isn't there, and Brandon Jones is always appreciated even if he's gone a lot.

Justinh

12:47

Craig (Screw Attack) mentions it, didn't know about the Viacom vs Google lawsuit that caused Gametrailers to not be on Youtube until after it ended. As they say, 2014 was too late to get into the Youtube landscape.

Man, I just listened to the archive for the Siftd podcast, and it was really interesting listening to Shane's perspective on the whole Youtube thing (not to mention the rest of all the stuff that was going on).

It totally didn't sound like Shane was all "Give me your internet money and I'll hire your lovelies *cackles*" while twisting his moustache, either. Hopefully it gets on youtube soon so people can hear it.

Yeah I will. Planning to do a complete refresh soon!

Thanks OP for consolidating information so as to document and preserve history.

I have been remiss in providing a shout out and special thanks to all who have been downloading and archiving the many GT videos and files. That is quite an undertaking and extremely important work you do.

Thank you...

He said Kyle, Brad, Ben and Huber were going to start a podcast and that they still might. Hope they do!

Yes. I don't want to diminish what it takes to do a podcast, but I think in regards to these guys who play and follow games and games media anway, meeting up to do a weekly podcast would be great and something that's realistically possible, even with minimal patreon support if it's something they do on the side.

If they get other jobs/gigs, then I hope they remain in L.A. so they can still do stuff like that once and awhile.

Mind you, I still haven't given up on "The Uneasy Alliance" - you know, gametrailers.com version 2 with all 9 staff members back.

What channels were huber and brandon been streaming on

Huber started streaming on his own channel today: twitch.tv/huber_hype

He said he'll be back streaming Dying Light either tonight or tomorrow and hopes to make streaming a regular thing.

Brandon has set up his own Twitch channel but has said he won't be streaming anything until late next week at the earliest as he's currently busy packing up the GT office (he is literally the only member of the GT staff allowed in the building, so it's going to take a while!). His channel is: http://www.twitch.tv/TrailerJones

Yes. I don't want to diminish what it takes to do a podcast, but I think in regards to these guys who play and follow games and games media anway, meeting up to do a weekly podcast would be great and something that's realistically possible, even with minimal patreon support if it's something they do on the side.

I'd totally chip in on a Patreon for a podcast
+Tabletop
done with a shoestring budget.

He said he'll be back streaming Dying Light either tonight or tomorrow and hopes to make streaming a regular thing.

Brandon has set up his own Twitch channel but has said he won't be streaming anything until late next week at the earliest as he's currently busy packing up the GT office (he is literally the only member of the GT staff allowed in the building, so it's going to take a while!). His channel is: http://www.twitch.tv/TrailerJones

Michael Huber:

"I'm not going anywhere."

And this is why people like him, and he can be tremendously successful if he keeps focusing on his brand. Great personality. The dude just got fired yet he seems happier than probably most people in this thread.

All around internet I'd patron only three people: ClassicGameRoom, HappyConsoleGamer and GT.

It's funny what you are willing to do when you are in front of good people.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So how will this happen? I mean when will the site be shut down, and what will happen to all the content.

God damn, I miss those BonusRounds, and Reviews of course.

They ended the bonus round when Geoff left, so I wasn't visiting the site since then. But still, the feels. I watched every episode of Bonus Round since PS3 was launch.

Justinh

They ended the bonus round when Geoff left, so I wasn't visiting the site since then. But still, the feels. I watched every episode of Bonus Round since PS3 was launch.

I wonder if it was more that they were ending Bonus Round so Geoff left. From what Shane said, those things were crazy expensive to make.

I think I remember Jones saying that Defy just didn't want to invest any more into them so they just closed it off.

Ugh, that is brutal.

Keep your chin up, Brandon.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Is there a recap of things that have happened since Monday? I'm seriously ready to put my money where my mouth is. This crew is too positive of a force and as much of it as possible needs to stay together. Assuming y'know, they can pay their bills.

Is there a recap of things that have happened since Monday? I'm seriously ready to put my money where my mouth is. This crew is too positive of a force and as much of it as possible needs to stay together. Assuming y'know, they can pay their bills.

Just a waiting game. Just keep showing support here or on Twitch chat.

They are definitely trying to do something, confirmed by Brandon and Ben.

I really wish someone close to the team would set up a legitimate GoFundMe so we can show our support financially right now. I imagine something like that would give them some idea about what the commitment level for their future project really is and give them some start up capital while they figure out what they can do. Even if they didn't end up forming a new company, I would appreciate a chance to thank them for the wonderful work they did over at GT.

sora87

It's a waiting game now until Bloodworth is home and they meet up to discuss things. Hubers streaming for now though.

I hope it's not too late until they decide on something, strike while the iron's hot and all that.

Top Bottom