• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

Tecnniqe

Banned
How do you fuck up a console controller signal like that. Paying $300+ and have those issues would make me super pissed.

Nintendoh.

GlamFM

Banned
IrfbR8c.png

Forkball

This is definitely an "Uh Oh Spaghetti-Os" moment.

On one hand, this could be fixed day one and no one will mention it again. But even if that happens, it is still pretty remarkable that Nintendo shipped it out with this very obvious issue after months of testing. You only get one first impression, and considering the Switch's main appeal is the hardware gimmick, failing on that front doesn't build confidence.

I guess we have to just wait and see.

This might not be related but I just got an email from Finnish retailer that neon joycon pair isn't available at launch.

Edit: though they promoted a Snipperclibs joycon bundle at that same email.

mindsale

Switch unplayable w/o Pro Controller confirmed.

Good lord people.

I'm prone to eye strain looking at a small screen. I'd much rather play on my couch so I can do things afterward like "drive a car" or "not have a migraine." If I can't do because 50% of the Left JoyCons have a manufacturing flaw, that's a bummer. Good lord person.

Switch unplayable w/o Pro Controller confirmed.

Good lord people.

This is so amusing. I played the thing for 3 hours, various games in various positions and distance from the console. Myself nor my boyfriend had any sync issues. The console isn't unplayable. There is a bug obviously, but we're still a week out from launch. Day one patches are a thing.

And if it's hardware, Nintendo will make good on some sort of exchange program. They're not going to let two pieces of plastic be the downfall of this amazing piece of hardware.

This isn't a doom and gloom situation, like RROD or exploding batteries. But cancel if it makes you feel better, more stock for people trying to get one.

Metal B

I'd imagine the Joy-Cons have a good understanding of when they are attached to the Switch console and when they're not, considering games like 1-2-Switch, so that seems unlikely to me.
That's why I call it a bug, it could be as simple as somebody forgetting to change one number. Let's say one programmer was testing something, deactivated those mods and forget to turn it on again. Since those aspects were tested already, nobody was looking into it again. Then you release this broken version, people notice the bug and need to patch it again, just to change one number.

ameleco

After watching Blunty's video on the subject, I really don't mind this too much. As long as you're cognizant of your hands, it should be fine. I'd rather have more battery life.

JimPanzer

I'm prone to eye strain looking at a small screen. I'd much rather play on my couch so I can do things afterward like "drive a car" or "not have a migraine." If I can't do because 50% of the Left JoyCons have a manufacturing flaw, that's a bummer. Good lord person.

Being a bummer and being unplayable is quite the difference I'd say.

Zedark

you've got to be kidding me, how have they not simply come out and said we're on it or something...
Did they know about this issue already so they are keeping quiet?
PR statements don't appear out of thin air. They need to assess their current position with respect to the issue and determine how to best word their statement so that things are least damaging or, if it has already been solved, that they are completely clear. It's not Reggie sending a tweet when we reads this thread or anything.

ggx2ac

Of course you can reliably reproduce what gamexplain did, it's just blocking a signal with your hands.

This doesn't explain the cause of the problem. It's already pointed out on an earlier page that the signal strength of Bluetooth for the Joy-Cons should be sufficient yet it is having this issue of signal strength related to distance when playing.

What factors are causing it? We know Bluetooth is on a 2.4GHz signal and that is a common frequency used that there could be interference. The only other thing as mentioned is that there could be an issue with the Bluetooth when running. But we don't know unless there was some way to analyse it.

mindsale

He's gotta make himself feel better about canceling his preorder, if he even had one. Otherwise it's a narrative to play up.

Don't forget, everyone's lucky to get a Nintendo Switch, even if it arrives in an inoperable state. Otherwise you'll feel bad. Think critically and you'll feel bad.

JimPanzer

No, it's both. If there are disruptive disconnects constantly, it is literally unplayable on my couch.

I've played through Dark Souls 2 with a constantly disconnecting controller due to faulty bluetooth on my PC. The issue here doesn't sound nearly as bad as what I experienced back then. You'll be fine.

BriGuy

If there is a silver lining here, it's that this is the same company that sent me free Wiimote condoms and wrist straps to address previous design flaws. I trust Nintendo to make good here too if this does become a persistent issue. Still kind of sucks in the meantime though. I canceled my charging grip for the time being if only because it seems I'm going to be using the pro pad near exclusively.

GlamFM

Banned
He's gotta make himself feel better about canceling his preorder, if he even had one. Otherwise it's a narrative to play up.

I had 2 actually. Cancelled last week after Horizon got such good reviews.

Horizon and ME back to back did not leave much room for a new console so I didn't feel the need to jump in day one anymore.

As I said - I'm gonna get one eventually.

I had 2 actually. Cancelled last week after Horizon got such good reviews.

Horizon and ME back to back did not leave much room for a new console so I didn't feel the need to jump in day one anymore.

As I said - I'm gonna get one eventually.

It's hard to tell who is being sincere and who is actually trolling in this thread. I had to make the decision about Horizon or the Switch, but after playing it last weekend (the Switch), Horizon will have to wait until Spring Break.,

Don't forget, everyone's lucky to get a Nintendo Switch, even if it arrives in an inoperable state. Otherwise you'll feel bad. Think critically and you'll feel bad.

This isn't an inoperable state.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

lol :)

15 feet should be at least okay for me, I should be like 17 ft away from the tv at most. I do feel bad for everyone having issues with this though, and hope a day 1 patch will somehow fix things.

Skyzard

Banned
This isn't an inoperable state.

It is if you have to send it back to Nintendo if it turns out the problem can't be fixed with a patch. If they're going to even accept replacements that is.

Unless you want to reward Nintendo by buying a pro controller you'd otherwise not want, just for rushing the launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lot of people not canceling their pre orders are gonna look silly if this is not fixable with a day 1 patch. :?

A lot of people canceling their pre orders are gonna look silly if this is fixable with a day 1 patch to boost the signal of the joycons

A lot of people just look silly by caring so much if other people cancel or don't cancel their pre-orders.

And this thread is really not about pre-orders but about a real issue.

Edit: ha, now I really got top of the page in the superior format. Lol.

MaLDo

A lot of people just look silly by caring so much if other people cancel or don't cancel their pre-orders.

And this thread is really not about pre-orders but about a real issue.

Edit: ha, now I really got top of the page in the superior format. Lol.

You have put it as if I care about preorders in some way. Mine was an answer to show how silly the comment is. Congrats on keeping the craziness I suppose.

Top Bottom