• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

ekim

untitledh3s3f.png

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
finally I have seen the Gamexplain video. I love these guys
Can I ask someone to (calmly) explain me in which normal situation the desync happens? I mean, he clearly cover and hide the joycons in weird ways to explain the issue to us.
Is the issue happening playing freehand, simply having the joycons in hands? does it happen with the grip?

thank you

PS: weird thing is that I attended 2 separated events in Italy, played a lot with many different joycons, in particular hiding them with the hands to play the baseball minigame of 1,2 switch and they worked perfectly, everytime
Could this be because the issue shows up only for the analog and not for the gyroscope for example? Even Arms worked perfectly.
Could this be a hw issue related to the US unis, maybe coming from a differnt production bunch compared to the italian ones?

A lot of people just look silly by caring so much if other people cancel or don't cancel their pre-orders.

And this thread is really not about pre-orders but about a real issue.

Edit: ha, now I really got top of the page in the superior format. Lol.

The moment the previews were released they were in damage control mode when people pointed out multiple sources were reporting desync issues. There should be no surprise here

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
finally I have seen the Gamexplain video. I love these guys
Can I ask someone to (calmly) explain me in which normal situation the desync happens? I mean, he clearly cover and hide the joycons in weird ways to explain the issue to us.
Is the issue happening playing freehand, simply having the joycons in hands? does it happen with the grip?

thank you

PS: weird thing is that I attended 2 separated events in Italy, played a lot with many different joycons, in particular hiding them with the hands to play the baseball minigame of 1,2 switch and they worked perfectly, everytime
Could this be because the issue shows up only for the analog and not for the gyroscope for example? Even Arms worked perfectly.
Could this be a hw issue related to the US unis, maybe coming from a differnt production bunch compared to the italian ones?

You can see here the issue happening in the wild (pun intended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6w536jv1g8#t=16m40s

It replicates what we heard from Jason Schreier and others.

You can also see the issue described right here on GAF by one reviewer:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230907225&postcount=379

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230907867&postcount=418

P.S. the issue seems to arise only pass a certain distance from the console.

dealer-

A lot of people just look silly by caring so much if other people cancel or don't cancel their pre-orders.

And this thread is really not about pre-orders but about a real issue.

But then people look silly for caring so much about people caring so much about people cancelling their pre orders.

Edit: ha, now I really got top of the page in the superior format. Lol.

I prefer more pages. Helps with hype levels.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But then people look silly for caring so much about people caring so much about people cancelling their pre orders.

If wanting a discussion on the actual topic of the thread makes me look silly and wanting hyperbolic statements makes you look smart, I prefer to look silly.

PrimeBeef

So they offset the nintendoomed people who are ignoring the mostly positive nature of the previews?

Of course. This needs to be repeated for those skipping or skimming through, this only appears to be a problem when playing more then 6-10 feet, or 13-15 feet in Gertsmans' case, or when actively trying to block the signal. This should not be a problem for the vast majority of users. While this is still an issue that needs to be resolved, the overreactions are pure hyperbole ATM.

This is definitely an "Uh Oh Spaghetti-Os" moment.

On one hand, this could be fixed day one and no one will mention it again. But even if that happens, it is still pretty remarkable that Nintendo shipped it out with this very obvious issue after months of testing. You only get one first impression, and considering the Switch's main appeal is the hardware gimmick, failing on that front doesn't build confidence.

I guess we have to just wait and see.

Parts of this are admittedly something of a uniquely Nintendo problem, so they may have been hoist by their own petard here. Most other controllers aren't this small, and indeed, the grips that people hold tend to have none of the real function of the device. Meanwhile depending on what kind of setups they have for QA, it may be they just never experimented with especially far distances. Certainly, public events wouldn't have shown it off too much, as in most cases people were standing or sitting easily within two metres (so 6-ish feet) of the device - some no more than a single metre.

I mean, they should have picked out how it would function in the wild, considering how quickly it's been found and been made repeatable, but it isn't impossible to figure out how it may have slipped through the cracks. Should definitely be a lesson for anyone on why you let the press air their thoughts on a product before its release; not only does it let the public know there may be issues, it lets producers know there are issues, and gives them a chance to address them, where possible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Of course. This needs to be repeated for those skipping or skimming through, this only appears to be a problem when playing more then 6-10 feet, or 13-15 feet in Gertsmans' case, or when actively trying to block the signal. This should not be a problem for the vast majority of users. While this is still an issue that needs to be resolved, the overreactions are pure hyperbole ATM.

Do you have a statistic that show that the vast majority of users sit closer than 6 feet from their console? (talking about hyperbolic statements)

pringles

They tried. This is a big issue if it's not fixed or addressed before launch this could be a disaster launch. I'm glad separate threads were made to stop the deflection.
It's a big issue but disaster may be stretching it. If it happens 2-3 times in 20+ hours of gameplay, or as some seem to have indicated; barely ever or not at all while the jc's are in the grip, then it's not a huge deal. That's basically what I've been dealing with on the XB1 ever since launch.

It's a big issue but disaster may be stretching it. If it happens 2-3 times in 20+ hours of gameplay, or as some seem to have indicated; barely ever or not at all while the jc's are in the grip, then it's not a huge deal. That's basically what I've been dealing with on the XB1 ever since launch.

But 2 or 3 times during 20 hours of gameplay is a disaster and makes the system unusable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's neither a disaster nor a "non-issue". It's a serious problem that needs to be acknowledge, communicated and fixed.

Padinn

This won't impact my preordet. I've had controller sync issues with every console this gen (I own em all). Hope they find out issue, maybe it was a bad batch of bt transmitters.

Sizzel

I bought the Switch. I am not hype at all for it- hyped for Zelda and suspect the WiiU version will be not so hot relative. I am basically buying it for Zelda lol. That being said..is there a positive news source for Switch..? No virtual store, cell phone party chat, under 3 hour battery life, connectivity issues, no real third party, no apps, ..good build quality relative recent. Nintendo boxes is positive I guess. It just seems all negative. I would wait if I wasn't just in it for Xeno, Zelda,Mario, and the new Metroid they will make or I will burn down Redmond and get on a plane to Japan hahaha please Nintendo make a Super nes next time.

I bought the Switch. I am not hype at all for it- hyped for Zelda and suspect the WiiU version will be not so hot relative. I am basically buying it for Zelda lol. That being said..is there a positive news source for Switch..? No virtual store, cell phone party chat, under 3 hour battery life, connectivity issues, no real third party, no apps, ..good build quality relative recent. Nintendo boxes is positive I guess. It just seems all negative. I would wait if I wasn't just in it for Xeno, Zelda,Mario, and the new Metroid they will make or I will burn down Redmond and get on a plane to Japan hahaha please Nintendo make a Super nes next time.

If you just want it for Zelda and willing to overlook the barebones launch it's mostly positive. Jason said desync was so bad he had to switch to a pro control but if you are getting one it should be a non issue.

Boosting Bluetooth signal could be done through firmware post-release, indeed, but only if it isn't operating at the top end of the designed performance envelope, if Nintendo fielded an overpowered Tx/Rx unit. Knowing Nintendo, I find this a bit... unlikely.

Here's hoping, though.

LordRaptor

Maybe its due to sodium buildup in the people who don't much like Nintendo and have to reconcile that with quite liking the Switch?

FTF

I'm sure it's been asked, but they didn't do play testing or this didn't come up at all during play testing??

zelas

They didn't even watched gamexplain's video because they say that "the fact that it's only the left-side Joy-Con suggests that the problem may be software-based" but Andre have the same problem with the right joycon
They really didnt need to watch anyone's video if they truly did a thorough job testing both joycons themselves. They just dropped the ball completely imo.

Sinfamy

Pretty sure Nintendo would need FCC approval if they were to modify the firmware for increased signal.
Assuming the controllers even have an embedded ROM to update in the first place.

A controller that has a chance to crap out on you even once for a fraction of a second is a worthless controller. Imagine trying to take something like Puyo Pop Tetris seriously with unreliable hardware.

And I've had that happen with PS4 controllers and a shit ton of times with my Xbox Elite controller with Microsoft's wireless dongle. It doesn't make it completely worthless or useless.

But narrative.

LOL

Unless you're being sarcastic

I am.

Baleoce

So it doesn't seem like a desync issue. The controller itself stays connected to the console. And it's not something that's unique to the left joycon. It's just that because of movement being tied to the left joycon, it's far more noticeable. Whatever signal it puts out to the console is being blocked by the body or possibly other things.

I hope that's something that's actually fixable via firmware.

GlamFM

Banned
Pretty sure Nintendo would need FCC approval if they were to modify the firmware for increased signal.
Assuming the controllers even have an embedded ROM to update in the first place.

This is the part that has me worried and why I think it might only be fixable with a revision.

Taigerr

Wow just wow... there goes Gaf again kicking off to the extreme... don't know about anyone else but I don't intend to play with the joy cons behind my back or covered up... smh.... cancelling preorders... LOL...

TannerDemoz

A controller that has a chance to crap out on you even once for a fraction of a second is a worthless controller. Imagine trying to take something like Puyo Puyo Tetris seriously with unreliable hardware.

Isn't that kinda like saying any computer that ever crashes on you is a worthless computer?

Yeah, it's a problem, and it's a big problem that needs addressing. But people writing off the controller as a 'disaster' are hilarious - unless the next week reveals the problem is a lot bigger than initially thought.

Red Devil

So it doesn't seem like a desync issue. The controller itself stays connected to the console. And it's not something that's unique to the left joycon. It's just that because of movement being tied to the left joycon, it's far more noticeable. Whatever signal it puts out to the console is being blocked by the body or possibly other things.

I hope that's something that's actually fixable via firmware.

Well according GameXplain it can happen with the right one too, but it appears to be less problematic.

Social

This doesn't seem like an issue Nintendo will fix or comment upon until it really blows up after launch. If it ever does. This seems to be behavior as intended and by design.

Cover a sensor and shit loses sync, the end.

Maybe this desyncing issue is just a fall back to get people to buy pro controllers.You know just incase the whole uncomfortable shape/size and no playing while charging wasn't enough of a reason.Seriously though didn't Xbone controllers also have connectivity issues like this? Cause I remember comments saying its "your fault for owning a microwave" or god forbid you owned a router.

Sweet baby Jesus its 2017 hardware developers and we have evolved to grow hands that may block transmission signals.

branny

And I've had that happen with PS4 controllers and a shit ton of times with my Xbox Elite controller with Microsoft's wireless dongle. It doesn't make it completely worthless or useless.

But narrative.
Ok, but if you played a Mario game where he only jumped 9 out of 10 times you pressed the jump button, wouldn't that be problematic?

If the Switch is going to be a viable platform, especially one for competitive reasons (Smash, Splatoon, etc.), it needs to make damn sure it sorts out any flakey connection issues.

PrimeBeef

Do you have a statistic that show that the vast majority of users sit closer than 6 feet from their console? (talking about hyperbolic statements)

No and you are right. I did take a straw poll in my WoW guild last night, of the 35 people that responded 1 said they game on a projector, and one said they are over 10 ft away. The people that responded range from college kids in dorm rooms to successful professionals with large homes with large rooms. Now I know it's anecdotal, but combined with the majority of responses here have been of the "it won't be a problem since I don't game that far away" variety. I feel confident in saying so. I could be completely off base and should not have thrown it out like I had definitive proof.

Red Devil

This doesn't seem like an issue Nintendo will fix or comment upon until it really blows up after launch. If it ever does. This seems to be behavior as intended and by design.

Cover a sensor and shit loses sync, the end.

If it's that then I guess there's not really a fix for it.

ggx2ac

Well according GameXplain it can happen with the right one too, but it appears to be less problematic.

They didn't cover it properly in the video with the right Joy-Con. It's possible the antenna might be where the side of the controller with the SL/SR buttons are.

Top Bottom