• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

Peltz

L-Joycon Sync ratio:

1423678014849273.jpg

Nintendo right now:

19da1a01fdf16d3f4da2102a92ab2ece.gif

Nintendo fans:

giphy.gif

Let's hope for the best.

Data Ghost

Okay so I just watched the video, and from what I can gather if you play with your joycons behind your back, or cup your hands over where the signal hits them, they lose connection.

Guess that won't be a problem for 99% of people then who sit there with them in each hand facing the console, like most people would play a video game.

Peltz

Okay so I just watched the video, and from what I can gather if you play with your joycons behind your back, or cup your hands over where the signal hits them, they lose connection.

Guess that won't be a problem for 99% of people then who sit there with them in each hand facing the console, like most people would play a video game.

What if you put the joy con in your lap with your knees propped up? The signal should not be that fragile.

GlamFM

Banned

Does not seem to be that simple. Kotaku and IGN are also reporting disconnects without doing anything funky.

TS-08

But people have experienced the problem while playing normally. The video just shows how to reliably recreate it.

Cyborg

I have a switch preordered, but for sure canceling if this isn't resolved.

Cancelend mine already! This is just insane with all the other complaints I have. Im not paying so much money for a product that is busted and only has 1 game I want to play.

Data Ghost

What if you put the joy con in your lap with your knees propped up? The signal should not be that fragile.

If I have any problems to that degree (bare in mind I plan to use the Pro controller when at home most of the time) then I send it right back to Amazon who are always happy to offer a refund without question. Theres no issue here for me that I can see.

Baleoce

A lot of people even since the Wii (and especially on GAF I noticed) have been looking for a true split controller that they can lay down with their hands by their side while sitting back on the sofa. I wonder if this issue would impede that.

shiyrley

Banned
https://twitter.com/nao_chan_91/status/835079245919567876

So this girl was playing Zelda and asked a Nintendo representative about the joycon problem

"I have asked about the connectivity issue and they said they aren't worried, if there's anything to fix, they will do so with a firmware update. They discard it being hardware for now, but if it is, they will of course take responsibility for it".

Of course this is Nintendo Spain so they may not know everything.

GlamFM

Banned
https://twitter.com/nao_chan_91/status/835079245919567876

So this girl was playing Zelda and asked a Nintendo representative about the joycon problem

"I have asked about the connectivity issue and they said they aren't worried, if there's anything to fix, they will do so with a firmware update. They discard it being hardware for now, but if it is, they will of course take responsibility for it".

Of course this is Nintendo Spain so they may not know everything.

No offense, but what the fuck to a pr person on twitter know?

Peltz

If I have any problems to that degree (bare in mind I plan to use the Pro controller when at home most of the time) then I send it right back to Amazon who are always happy to offer a refund without question. Theres no issue here for me that I can see.

I consider that an issue you shouldn't have to deal with.

Aesthet1c

Yeah this was brought up because people are experiencing this through normal use.

Whether it's sitting too far from your TV or propping your knees up or holding the controller under a blanket. There are multiple ways I can see this being a problem.

GAF can downplay it, but I would say this is pretty unacceptable for a controller in 2017.

It is difficult to see how bad the problem is really until the unit is in peoples hand.

Sadly for Jason he has got the rough end of the deal - he basically had to stopped using the Joycons and play with the pro controller.

On the other side you have most outlets reporting it has happened 2-3 times, with some (Eurogamer, Digital Foundry) saying they haven't come across it.

But yeah, lets hope they can tweak what ever needs tweaking.

Cloukyo

Banned
This will definitely affect Nintendo's plans for e-sports dominance 🙁

People won't use anything but pro controllers for e-sports c'mon

People are overreacting about this. Just hold the damn controller properly. Hell, there's probably a fix for this coming soon anyway.

Has Nintendo said nothing about this still? If I were them I'd issue a statement yesterday. Frankly that they have said nothing (afaik) slightly blows my mind.

I didn't even want the Switch to begin with at launch but I don't want to see it completely tank. I'll give it until this afternoon before saying this could be a disaster for Nintendo but so far it's not looking very promising.

Get your shit together Nintendo.

mindsale

People are overreacting about this. Just hold the damn controller properly. Hell, there's probably a fix for this coming soon anyway.

Yeah, c'mon guys, just hold the controller no more than eight feet from the television at all times and never, ever obstruct the Bluetooth signal, even though some occurrences will just be unprompted receptivity drops, and c'mon guys, hook the JoyCons into a charging grip for the extra Bluetooth signal boost, c'mon guys

The issues still happen with normal play. So saying things like "you're doing it wrong" or "sit closer guys then the problem is 99% going away" is not gonna make it go away or get fixed.

bomblord1

Banned
Luckily I sit about 7ish foot from my TV so this should not effect me. Sucks for people it will though hopefully they can push out an update to fix it before launch

Cloukyo

Banned
Fuck me, calm down guys. All this hyperbole.

I'm just saying it's not a "FLAWED CONSOLE, ABSOLUTELY BROKEN, WILL NOT BUY" level of problem like some people are treating.

Fuck me, calm down guys.

I'm just saying it's not a "FLAWED CONSOLE, ABSOLUTELY BROKEN, WILL NOT BUY" level of problem like some people are treating.

It's their money they're worrying about for joy cons that won't work 100% of the time. I don't see why you are getting upset about it.

mindsale

Fuck me, calm down guys.

Are you guys on the payroll? A discussion of actual hardware flaws does not need apologists every other reply.

Memory

Hmmm this doesn't match with my own hands on experience, i have massive hands and pretty much encompassed the Joy-Cons. I'm going to the London hands on event tomorrow so i'll try it again.

For what its worth I couldn't replicate this at the event at Tanner Warehouse London today, the reps were very cool about letting me try.

Tried it with Arms, 1-2 Switch and Snipper Clips. Couldn't try it with Zelda, MK8 or Splatoon due to the pad set ups.

So yeah not worried at all, however it would be good if this issue is fixed with the day one patch. I sit quite far from my TV and I wouldn't want to have an issue when I'm not using my Pro.

deoee

Well for me not properly working controllers at all times seem like an absolutely broken thing.

Let's hope it's not as widespread as it seems to be and easily fixable

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For what its worth I couldn't replicate this at the event at Tanner Warehouse London today, the reps were very cool about letting me try.

Tried it with Arms, 1-2 Switch and Snipper Clips. Couldn't try it with Zelda, MK8 or Splatoon due to the pad set ups.

So yeah not worried at all, however it would be good if this issue is fixed with the day one patch. I sit quite far from my TV and I wouldn't want to have an issue when I'm not using my Pro.

How far from the console were you?

Some are justified, many are trying to set the premise to tear the console down unfairly. Like everything in GAF

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
I love how people on here kinda overreact. It's not even been a day and people are threatening or canceling preorders. Give it a few days and see if Nintendo issues a statement. You guys do know that all retailers take returns on hardware if your not satisfied? IGN reported playing Zelda for 20 hours and it saw the issue happen 2-3 times. Maybe it is something they will fix on day one.

Yeah, I was never worried lol

(Part of) The controller randomly desyncing while playing a game is a disaster no matter how you put it.

Nintendo has to fix this as fast as possible. Though this explanation makes it look like it's a hardware problem.

Data Ghost

Id be a LOT more concerned ifs it happened while in portable mode. But lets not be drama queens here, these are the possible outcomes:

1) Software update fixes the issue completely.
2) You send your console back to a reputable seller such as Amazon for a refund.
3) Its not fixable via software, Nintendo make a hardware tweak, and offer an exchange for affected joycons.

Its funny to watch some people go apocalyptic on something that will be worked out one way or another.

mindsale

Some are justified, many are trying to set the premise to tear the console down unfairly. Like everything in GAF

Why would you like Nintendo to get a free pass? Why would you want them to be unanswerable for hardware fuckups? Because of nostalgia? Because of consoles like the SNES and GameCube which had like 1% failure rates and where the left sides of the controllers worked were excellent machines? It flummoxes me that some people will turn a blind eye to genuine hardware concerns.

Harmen

No and you are right. I did take a straw poll in my WoW guild last night, of the 35 people that responded 1 said they game on a projector, and one said they are over 10 ft away. The people that responded range from college kids in dorm rooms to successful professionals with large homes with large rooms. Now I know it's anecdotal, but combined with the majority of responses here have been of the "it won't be a problem since I don't game that far away" variety. I feel confident in saying so. I could be completely off base and should not have thrown it out like I had definitive proof.

I agree a 10-15 ft distance is not a huge problem. But that is not the core issue here in my opinion. The signal appears to be weak from what we are hearing. That means it is likely more prone to interference. Amongst a very small userbase we already have seen multiple reports under what I assume is normal usage. In certain households or locations the Switch may suffer from these issues to a larger extent than others (a guy here reports issues if he is further than 8 ft, whereas others report a larger distance). In the context of mass consumption this can become a whole different scale, especially since wireless signals are becoming more and more common.

I just hope Nintendo addresses it soon and that a quick patch can address this issue. That said, I think the majority of users will probably be fine.

chrislowe

Having a hard time thinking software will fix this problem.

Maybe if they have been putting the chips in some low energy mode, that does not transmit a strong signal and it can be tweaked up for less batterylife.

But more likely a bad hardware design, that in some cases have a loss of signal.
(A bit like Apples "You are holding your phone wrong")

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
Id be a LOT more concerned ifs it happened while in portable mode. But lets not be drama queens here, these are the possible outcomes:

2) You send your console back to a reputable seller such as Amazon for a refund.
3) Its not fixable via software, Nintendo make a hardware tweak, and offer an exchange for affected joycons.

Its funny to watch some people go apocalyptic on something that will be worked out one way or another.

I agree with you. There is a lot of tech in those little joycons. They will hash it out. I'm confident it's a signal boost issue like posted a couple of pages back.

GlamFM

Banned

Regardless of the outcome this is still a hot mess.

Sure it will be fixed one way or the other if it´s really a problem. But it would still be a problem.

A big one.

plidex

I personally don't care so much because on TV mode I'll play with the Pro controller. And on tabletop mode playing multi-player I would never be more than 2 meters away.

But Nintendo needs to fix it if it's really a problem in normal usage, which seems it may be.

Top Bottom