• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

deanote666

Nahida makes short work of them too with charged attacks, if you happen to have her.

As for Cloud Retainer, I've seen (supposedly) literal translations of those texts that make them sound like speculation/banter rather than leaks. Let's hope that's true.

You mean the Scaradouche fight? I think they prefer you to use Dendro on that part. I use Collei in my team and she can solo all 4 of those turrets in like 15 seconds. The floating ones each die in one charged shot from her.

When the fight first came out, I tried Nahida but the mini bots just laughed at her and he did his instakill attack. Don't know if they changed the balancing since or not or I was just unlucky.

Pejo

When the fight first came out, I tried Nahida but the mini bots just laughed at her and he did his instakill attack. Don't know if they changed the balancing since or not or I was just unlucky.
I've been using my ol' go-to team in that fight since I can remember, so I dunno. I use my main "it just works anywhere" team of Childe/Dehya/Collei/Shinobu. I start that phase by using Shinobu's healing ring, then swap to Collei, use her skill on the one on the floor, stand point blank next to it (since I have her constellations that give the Dendro pulses) and shoot it with charged shots a few time, and it dies. After that I just walk/aim towards the floating ones and 1shot them with her charged attack.

I tried using Dehya on those turrets once before but the only element that does serious damage to them seems to be Dendro. I think it's less about damage/attack than it is just hitting it with an opposing element, like Abyss mage shields.

New Star Rail web event:

deanote666

You'd think this would make sense to me but I hate playing in pieces like that, particularly for story related stuff. Playing in pieces makes you forget the tertiary stuff and supportive story bits. I just need a nice relaxing weekend to sit down and knock it out in a sitting like I used to do. That's also why I'm behind in FGO perpetually, where the story is one of the only 2 major draws of the entire game.
Keep in mind, not wanting a gap in content is creating an even bigger gap between content you've experienced.

You've been on LB4 for 2 years?

You have enough backlog to take a slow drip and still not be caught up.

You'd still be interacting with the content over the slow drip t9 keep it fresh as opposed to going a year or more without advancing the story at all.

Last edited:

Pejo

Well I at least made some progress on the event. I didn't expect to be spoiled by it almost immediately, but here we are. Ah well. Nobody to blame but myself and at least they didn't progress lock it behind the archon quest or something so I couldn't even start the event.

A few random thoughts:
  • I like Chevreuse. Seems like a proper citizen turned cop and doesn't have a real "gimmick" for a personality. Feels the most "real" out of a character that we've gotten in a very long time. Kinda funny seeing her next to Ayaka and Ayato who are exactly the type of character I'm talking about. "Acting is like honing the sword, making coffee is like practicing the blade"-Ayaka "Oh I must get back to work behind the scenes doing very smart things."-Ayato. Her design is okay too, but she got the "featureless ass" nerf that Dehya got, opposed to something like Noelle/Eula. Even still, she's probably one of my favorite Fontainians. Hope her kit is fun to play.
  • I'm only halfway through the event story quest, but I'm enjoying it so far. The movie stuff is more engaging and has more going on than the endless Light Novel shit from Inazuma, so that's a plus.
  • Event minigames...
    • The Mario party "chase the globs into the goals" PVP game is awful. Seems like you only have to play it a handful of times to get all of the rewards though. I had to stop after twice tonight.
    • Movie composition/shooting minigame was a cool idea but they make it way too easy, basically telling you exactly which shots and lines to pick. There's seemingly no penalty for failing and trying again, so why not make it a bit more challenging? The smoothbrain survey takers won again.
    • Sniper game was great. Didn't really do anything new or do anything particularly well, but it was entertaining. I wish we'd actually maneuver ourselves and pick our own sniper spots, etc, but for 4 levels of a Genshin minigame, it was fun. Shame there wasn't more.
    • Battle event was another "smash head into keyboard to win" one, but I really liked that camera mechanic. Both the audio and picture filters they used when it was active was really cool.
  • I also tried out the trial Navia for the Geo one, used Trial Navia/Albedo/Zhongli/Trial Gorou, and that team was actually quite a bit of fun. You need elemental enemies for it to work, but I was having a really good time with it. I think it may have convinced me to try my luck at the Navia 50/50. I'll know for sure after Monday when they announce if Cloud Retainer got nerfed or not.
  • Just in case the opening quest wasn't enough of a spoiler about the Fontaine Archon quest, they hammer it in with Furina for like 10 minutes straight when you go to recruit her.
  • What was the deal with Ayaka and Yoimiya being able to breathe underwater? Didn't we only get to do that because we resonated with Hydro at the archon statue? Everyone in Fontaine needed diving suits (including Feminet), but those two were just like "fuck it, we ball". Maybe the Archon quest explains that too, because I was fucking confused at what I was seeing. Also it was very in character for Ayaka to be playing around in water in clothing that had no business being worn while swimming. Compliments her wet socks dance.
  • Absolutely hate the EN VA for Chiori. I actually didn't end up liking her character much at all (so far). Maybe that will change throughout the quest, but she seems like female Ayato, someone very clever who is always in the know about all events. We've got more than enough of that type of character already and MHY cannot write them convincingly, so I wish they'd stop.
  • Paimon holding the clapper thing is pretty great. Something about the way she slides off the screen after clapping it makes me laugh every time. I wish they'd have kept milking the joke that she needs to stop yelling before clapping it, could have been funny.
  • Melusine sword is cool, both the effect and the buff idea. Is there any easy way to see how many Melusines you've helped and how much of the attack buff you get?
Overall, definitely one of the better national themed events.

The breathing underwater thing must just be a plothole. And let's be real, we've all been swimming with all kinds of characters underwater for hours.

I liked Chiori in that she doesn't tolerate bullshit. Ayato opens his mouth to spout some nonsense and she shuts him up immediately. Then he gets taken off-screen and we never see him again. That's the kind of event I like. But yeah, she continues the trend of passionate and driven characters that strive for excellence. I wish we just got lazy or gluttonous or otherwise flawed characters sometimes. But I don't think the Chinese government likes that.

I saw the ending of Chevreuse's story in a similar light. She decides not to change the ending of the film for the sake of romanticism, stating stories don't need to have realistic depictions of justice. Is that breaking the fourth wall? "Haha we're just making a funny story dude, don't pay to much attention to our ethics. Definitely don't compare them to the CCP's questionable actions or anything!"

The maximum buff the Melusine claymore gives is 24% additional attack at R5. If you have that, you've fully completed all the quests. More stickers might also appear on the weapon itself, but I'm not entirely sure that's how it works. I already did all the quests before this.

The breathing underwater thing must just be a plothole. And let's be real, we've all been swimming with all kinds of characters underwater for hours.

Canonically its just Traveler. Thats why when you interact with other characters you change back to Traveler. Ayaka/Yomiya thing was something that was shown explicitly.

Nankatsu

Xiao mains, what set do you run on him?

I currently have a Gladiators finale with Shimenawa, paired with primordial jade spear.

Did any new set came out that's better on him?

In game set recommendation says Vermillion Hereafter, but that domain is pretty much bad.

2nd option says gladiators with VV, but the YouTube guide that I saw said to run what I currently run. So now I'm confused.

Last edited:

Pejo

Lantern rite skin models without the textures. Anybody hoping for Waterboi to get pants instead of sissy shorts? Yea right, he's not female, they don't cover the skin of their twinks.
hDPzxla.jpeg

S4GQz26.jpeg

udod1N8.jpeg

Pejo

As Dragon_Rocks Dragon_Rocks mentioned, in Genshin canon, the Traveler is alone for 90% of the game, so I don't know if that can be used to explain the underwater stuff. I thought it was weird how they made a whole big scene about them specifically breathing underwater, not just even swimming or eluding to it in a story. Seems like it's gonna be relevant in some way in the future.
I liked Chiori in that she doesn't tolerate bullshit. Ayato opens his mouth to spout some nonsense and she shuts him up immediately. Then he gets taken off-screen and we never see him again. That's the kind of event I like. But yeah, she continues the trend of passionate and driven characters that strive for excellence. I wish we just got lazy or gluttonous or otherwise flawed characters sometimes. But I don't think the Chinese government likes that.
Yea her no-nonsense stuff doesn't bother me at all, but the fact that she's seemingly connected to every arm of government/business/information gathering and is ANOTHER one of those "always 2 steps ahead of everybody else" characters is really grating on me. I'm sure she'll end up being some secret intelligence person or whatever and it's just so tiring. Plus as I mentioned, her EN VA just doesn't do a good job. She sounds very flat and like the kind of miserable coworker that you have that's just always complaining about stuff.
I saw the ending of Chevreuse's story in a similar light. She decides not to change the ending of the film for the sake of romanticism, stating stories don't need to have realistic depictions of justice. Is that breaking the fourth wall? "Haha we're just making a funny story dude, don't pay to much attention to our ethics. Definitely don't compare them to the CCP's questionable actions or anything!"
I'll come back and read this after I finish the event quest.
The maximum buff the Melusine claymore gives is 24% additional attack at R5. If you have that, you've fully completed all the quests. More stickers might also appear on the weapon itself, but I'm not entirely sure that's how it works. I already did all the quests before this.
Yea I have all of refinements done, but I was hoping there was something like "if you see 6 stickers, you did it" or something like that. I guess mathing is the only way to tell...
Xiao mains, what set do you run on him?

I currently have a Gladiators finale with Shimenawa, paired with primordial jade spear.

Did any new set came out that's better on him?

In game set recommendation says Vermillion Hereafter, but that domain is pretty much bad.

2nd option says gladiators with VV, but the YouTube guide that I saw said to run what I currently run. So now I'm confused.
I'm not a Xiao main, but I'd probably keep what you have and see if they do a plunge set if you don't wanna farm Vermillion. If you had spare Marechaussee I could see a case being made for that, particularly if you don't play him like a toilet plunger. As of right now though, Vermillion is the best in slot, substats notwithstanding.

Nankatsu

RIP Cloud Retainer's Crowd Control. She barely had it to begin with, but the little she had it's now completely gone.

Are they trying to pull a Deyha on her?

Last edited:
8YvxhXK.jpg

Looks like we traded minimal CC for a couple percent crit rate for plunging attacks. She sounds bricked now. Seems not even Liyue characters are safe from their bullshittery.

Not sure I'll pull. Maybe I'll throw a couple ten-pulls her way if the banner is decent. If I happen to lose 50/50 that's fine too. In practice she'd just be a Jean sidegrade anyway. Her current version does come across as a Dehya level standard and/or free character. A shame.

Nankatsu

8YvxhXK.jpg

Looks like we traded minimal CC for a couple percent crit rate for plunging attacks. She sounds bricked now. Seems not even Liyue characters are safe from their bullshittery.

Not sure I'll pull. Maybe I'll throw a couple ten-pulls her way if the banner is decent. If I happen to lose 50/50 that's fine too. In practice she'd just be a Jean sidegrade anyway. Her current version does come across as a Dehya level standard and/or free character. A shame.
lwUWJk6.png

Pejo

IMG-2286.jpg

Sad Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

*edit*

Only 30 pulls and I got Navia. Also the 5 shop blue wishes got me a Dehya constellation super early, think I was only in the 20s since my last 5*. The universe is trying to apologize for what they're currently doing to CR.

Like who the fuck would ever be excited about a middling increase on damage to a gameplay style that the playerbase at large has no interest in. I fucking HATE MHY kit designers.

Last edited:

jonnyXx

BPqotuM.jpg
Here's some questionable Arlecchino leaks to ease the pain. Sounds like a phys/burning DPS scaling on movement speed(?). Could be fun.
So +50% to move speed with the weapon passive + talent! Gotta go fast.

That translation though.
xjoN3yR.jpg

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Like who the fuck would ever be excited about a middling increase on damage to a gameplay style that the playerbase at large has no interest in. I fucking HATE MHY kit designers.
Yea this was the nail in the coffin for me, I used my guaranteed on Navia.

Seems it wasn't enough to remove the grouping, they increased knockback on her dive bomb...wtf.
0UjZ7Dx.jpg

deanote666

When you run a domain 8 times and you only get 2 from the set you want and they're all junk...

Still trying to build Navia with the new geo set and still only have 2 on set pieces for her.

Rolled blue wishes and got a 5* early. Diluc C6...

Last edited:

jonnyXx

When you run a domain 8 times and you only get 2 from the set you want and they're all junk...

Still trying to build Navia with the new geo set and still only have 2 on set pieces for her.
I just slapped 4pc Marechaussee Hunter on her and called it a day.
I really don't want to go through the hell of farming a new artifact domain right now, especially not when the other set in the domain is that trash healing set.

Pejo

Now that I have had a chance to build Navia and use her in some different teams, I really really like her. You were totally right InterMusketeer InterMusketeer - most fun on field female in ages. I love that her gunshot can pierce enemies, so if you line them up right, you can blast a whole line with one shot. Seems very strong too, considering I only have her at lv 60 with middling talent levels so far. I wish her imbue was like 2-4 seconds longer, but it forces you to use the gun shot whereas I would most likely hoard it and waste its potential, so I guess it all works out in the end. Her kit has great self-synergy too. The shot feeds into more bullets and particles, then her Burst causes lots of opportunities for shards and lasts quite a while. I was reading through her constellations, and while they will definitely give some damage bonuses, she seems mostly complete at C0 too. What a real rarity in this game.

Also, outside of those piss easy trials, you can really see her shine a bit more. It seems a lot easier to get the tap version of her shot (with the auto aim) to work. I had a spare "The Unforged" sitting around since forever and was never able to find a use for it, but it's damn near perfect on her. I still love the look of her axe and might roll it someday if it shares a banner with another weapon I want, but The Unforged seems really good for her regardless. Aesthetically matches well too. Slapped on a old Gladiator set that I had laying around with good Crit/CDMG rolls and she's already hitting 8k normals with up to 40-50k bullets. Lots of flexibility with team comps too.

Anyways, I'll eat my crow on this one, she was very worth the 30 rolls, and I'm having a lot of fun with her.

Also here's some off-phone screen footage of the skins with the textures applied: At least they don't look like a direct recolor of the original outfits. Modders have been dunking on these pretty pedestrian costumes for months already though, and for free.

ytIUhTj.jpeg

*edit*

Ganyu costume splash art. Looks like she got bare legs at the cost of her leotard turning into Chinese safety shorts like 90% of the cast. Meh.
VpDAV3d.jpeg

Last edited:
I could use some team building & prospective good wish advice if someone doesn't mind.

Some background to help: outside of the occasional Welkin I'm F2P, and I'm very selective/conservative with my limited Primos. I also prefer a very casual experience from Genshin, so characters/setups that allow for easy mashing/facerolling is preferred.

My goal at the moment is to have two amazing teams to finally tackle the entirety of the Abyss.

My Team 1 has always consisted of Raiden, Yelan, Nahida, and Zhongli in a somewhat makeshift Hyperbloom team. I can't say it was perfect, I think I just benefited from those first three all having great individual damage and whatever Hyperblooms happened to trigger was just bonus damage.

I pulled Furina to start my Team 2, and if I combine her with Jean, rip out Yelan from Team 1, and add Xingqiu it works really well. No reactions going on, but I think the shred that Jean's VV set provides allows the other 3 hydro characters to just go nuts on damage.

Pulling Yelan from the Team 1 makes a hole however, and I'm not sure how best to fill it. Ideally I'd still love to use Raiden/Nahida/Zhongli as I've invested in those characters, but not sure about who could best fill that 4th slot.

Pejo

I could use some team building & prospective good wish advice if someone doesn't mind.

Some background to help: outside of the occasional Welkin I'm F2P, and I'm very selective/conservative with my limited Primos. I also prefer a very casual experience from Genshin, so characters/setups that allow for easy mashing/facerolling is preferred.

My goal at the moment is to have two amazing teams to finally tackle the entirety of the Abyss.

My Team 1 has always consisted of Raiden, Yelan, Nahida, and Zhongli in a somewhat makeshift Hyperbloom team. I can't say it was perfect, I think I just benefited from those first three all having great individual damage and whatever Hyperblooms happened to trigger was just bonus damage.

I pulled Furina to start my Team 2, and if I combine her with Jean, rip out Yelan from Team 1, and add Xingqiu it works really well. No reactions going on, but I think the shred that Jean's VV set provides allows the other 3 hydro characters to just go nuts on damage.

Pulling Yelan from the Team 1 makes a hole however, and I'm not sure how best to fill it. Ideally I'd still love to use Raiden/Nahida/Zhongli as I've invested in those characters, but not sure about who could best fill that 4th slot.
I don't know what your roster looks like, nor do I know which characters you have built, but if you want to keep your top team "as is", just make a variation of the National team for your 2nd team.

So Xiangling/Xingqiu/Bennett and then your favorite Hydro, Cryo, or Anemo (with VV) in your last slot. Or you can do Furina/Jean with a freeze team comp like Ayaka/Mona or any other combo of high uptime freeze, but that team will suffer a bit against the abyss sides with large boss characters that can't be frozen.

Otherwise, here's the latest chart on what CN players are using in the current abyss iteration. The numbers and grouping is done by "out of people that own the character, this percentage used them to full clear abyss". So have a look at that and try to build around 1-2 of the higher placing characters. I know Neuvi is supposedly insanely strong but I know next to nothing about him or his gameplay.
9dzbvfbud0ac1.jpg

Full disclosure, I don't do abyss, so this is just what I read about when perusing Genshin sites.

-

In other news, just as an example of my earlier rants about MHY removing the fun from characters and how stupid it is, we just got a look at Klee's old kit when she was a 4* and just look at the personality and effects that were lost before her release.

The crazy thing to me is not only did she lose fun animations like the goofy walk, but she originally threw slimes instead of her jumpty dumpties (which makes more sense than her making infinite bombs since let's be honest, she's just a stupid kid) and after they bounced twice they created an updraft. And this was on a 4*, again. You could argue that she'd be sharing too much with Venti in this iteration, an archon, but I wish they'd have chosen to keep the characters fun and active instead of neutering pretty much everything and boiling them down to "you can do 1 good thing in 1 good team or 2 things and you suck at them both, those are the choices!" There's obviously a huge gap in the strength and versatility of early game 4*s, and I for one really hate how they've proceeded.

Nankatsu

Not gonna lie, her attacks look damn beautiful... But that crowd control...it even has a knockback now.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Last edited:
It's just a baffling choice to waste such a popular character on an accessory for Xiao. Shenhe was a somewhat niche support too, but at least she buffs an entire element. CR's just not worth the 5-star label IMO. I'd put her on the level of Kujou Sara, Gorou, or Mika. All of those characters are more versatile than CR though. Think of all the people who are excited to see her in the game, only to realize they can hardly use her if they don't own one(!) character. And this is supposed to be their big seller for Lantern Rite. Absolutely bonkers.

The only reason for simplifying and dumbing down their characters, is that they can turn one full kit into 5 separate ones so they don't have to think as much. Or maybe they think their players are too stupid to understand a more complex kit.

I wouldn't advise building a solo element team for Abyss. If enemies show up on multiple floors that are resilient to that element, you're screwed. You might think you can just swap the teams around, but you don't always get that flexibility. I have many characters and sometimes still find myself stumped with how to distribute them to quickly deal with everything. It's important that you have all elements and types available.

I can't offer any concrete advice because I don't know what other characters you have. If you like the setup you had, I'd leave that first team intact and just look at a different comp for the second team. For now you could go with national like Pejo Pejo said because it's pretty accessible, but Furina makes for a solid foundation for any future characters/teams. Anyone you're interested in playing or pulling?

I don't know what your roster looks like, nor do I know which characters you have built
I can't offer any concrete advice because I don't know what other characters you have
I appreciate the help, and that was somewhat my question. I'm not trying to build a team with "who I have", I'm more or less asking for fun/powerful ideas. I'm sitting on a fat stack of Primogems with zero idea who to aim for.

Who would complement a Raiden + Nahida combo?

Pejo

I appreciate the help, and that was somewhat my question. I'm not trying to build a team with "who I have", I'm more or less asking for fun/powerful ideas. I'm sitting on a fat stack of Primogems with zero idea who to aim for.

If all you care about is Abyss then go for Neuvi next time he reruns. We might have stronger characters by then, though. Otherwise the meta hasn't really shifted all that much. Some abyss resets favor certain elements more than others, but that chart I posted is a good general rule of thumb. As InterMusketeer InterMusketeer mentioned, sometimes you have to look ahead at the enemy lineups to make sure you're not bringing immune/strong elements to certain fights, so there's not really a hard and fast rule.

Regarding your Shogun/Nahida team. I'd imagine Kokomi and Alhaitham could round out a good team there. Though personally I think Alhaitham feels like shit to play without a shielder since his combo is kinda slow and he gets knocked out easily. I use Nahida with my C6 Keqing/Kujou Sara/Kokomi and it's a very strong team. If you build Shogun as Burst SubDPS you could just replace Keqing in that team.

-

So CN revenue estimates are out for various gacha for 2023. This is still mobile only, in the case of the HoYo games ,they still also have Console and PC revenue that are unaccounted for in this estimate. This is just iOS and Android. So HoYo has 3 games in the top 10 earners for over 2 BILLION USD combined, in CN region only, on mobile only.

So yea, if anyone expected a year of underwhelming male 5*s or Lyney's designs or their shitty skin release schedules and designs to even make them flinch and reconsider anything at all, you might as well just forget it. HoYo isn't gonna improve anniversaries, they're not gonna listen to feedback, they're not gonna suffer losses. They have "fuck you" money and zero investors to please.
CN 2023 annual revenue estimation, source https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV15K41147jw
The content creator uses 点点数据 for CN revenue source, and applied 2.5 times IOS revenue to estimate Android

Name: Unit converted to USD

Genshin----------------------: 1,242,232,008
Honkai Star Rail (8 months)--: 767,215,343
Naruto--------------------------: 409,472,822
Arknights-----------------------: 197,618,209
Onmyoji------------------------: 179,435,078
Honkai3rd-----------------------: 80,485,019
Reverse 1999 (7 months)------: 66,248,615
FGO------------------------------: 60,892,344
AFK Arena-----------------------: 59,059,935
Azur Lane-----------------------: 56,804,663
Epic7 (6 months)---------------: 44,118,758
Punishing Gray Raven----------: 38,198,669
Path to Nowhere----------------: 37,916,760
Langrisser-----------------------: 37,493,897
Kalpa of Universe---------------: 26,217,537
Sword of Convallaria (38 days): 25,230,855
Tower of Fantasy----------------: 22,975,583

Last edited:

I usually run my hyperbloom team with Nahida, Shogun, Yelan and Kuki Shinobu. Shogun increases Yelan's burst's damage and fixes some of her energy issues, so there's great synergy there. Like I said, I don't think it's worth removing Yelan from your team just to build a second mono hydro team. You could fill that spot with Kokomi or something, but now your account is all focused around hydro reactions and the abyss will punish you for that.

As for other recommendations... Why not go for Navia? She's fun, strong, flexible, works with Furina. If the geo wolf overlord boss ever shows up again you can easily defeat him. Great way to diversify your account on the cheap (if you don't have characters like Itto built).

Ayaka is cool too (I like her anyway) but freeze has been kinda rough in the abyss lately, so might not be as easy to recommend.

You could also go for a Chevreuse overload team. She's coming into the game in about a week. Get Yoimiya and pair her with Shogun or Fischl. You might want to consider pulling for Yea Miko if you want another electro character for overload/hyperbloom shenanigans.

There's so many teams you could run, but it depends on your own preferences in characters. I'd just refer to that list Pejo Pejo posted and see which characters are most used, and pick your favorites from those. If you can't come up with anything, you could always save for future characters or even go for weapons and cons.

Pejo

There are more leaks popping up from early/pre release genshin, some of them are interesting.

This was their original design concept for domains in general:
U9aBsIV.jpeg

That lends credence to the lore that domains themselves are just us tapping in to the "leylines" or branches of the Irminsul tree, (terminals to a database)

Regarding your Shogun/Nahida team. I'd imagine Kokomi and Alhaitham could round out a good team there. Though personally I think Alhaitham feels like shit to play without a shielder since his combo is kinda slow and he gets knocked out easily. I use Nahida with my C6 Keqing/Kujou Sara/Kokomi and it's a very strong team. If you build Shogun as Burst SubDPS you could just replace Keqing in that team.
Does Kokomi do a pretty good job at Hydro application?

I'm actually not sure I fully understand the correct way to play with elemental reactions, and considering the casual/mashy playstyle I'm looking for, maybe Hyperbloom isn't the reaction I should be chasing. As I understand it, the way it works is I first apply Dendro status with Nahida's ES (which slowly re-applies Dendro on all linked enemies I think?), then apply Hydro which will remove the Dendro and make a Bloom core, then hit the Bloom cores with Electro (Raiden's ES or EB).

However does that mean that if I'm attacking too fast with Raiden, then it ruins the setup and I actually am stripping off the Dendro (creating Quicken) before the Hydro can be applied? So going frantic with Raiden's EB isn't helping make bloom cores at all?
As for other recommendations... Why not go for Navia? She's fun, strong, flexible, works with Furina. If the geo wolf overlord boss ever shows up again you can easily defeat him. Great way to diversify your account on the cheap (if you don't have characters like Itto built).
So, talk to me about Navia. When I first saw all the Fontaine characters, I loved her design the most. However once it was revealed she was a Geo Claymore user I started to read a lot of doomposting. From what I could gather there were a lot of opinions that she simply was not grand. Plus I've seen a lot of opinions that Geo is "the worst element" or "in a bad spot right now".

If she's actually a strong character and easy/fun to play then I could be sold. Like I said, I love the character.

Ayaka seems cool too, but it kind of bothers me that Freeze doesn't work on bosses :(

Pejo

Does Kokomi do a pretty good job at Hydro application?
Before Furina, Kokomi was the comfiest Hydro applicator we had. The healing wasn't usually even the main draw. Still does as well/better in AoE settings.
I'm actually not sure I fully understand the correct way to play with elemental reactions, and considering the casual/mashy playstyle I'm looking for, maybe Hyperbloom isn't the reaction I should be chasing. As I understand it, the way it works is I first apply Dendro status with Nahida's ES (which slowly re-applies Dendro on all linked enemies I think?), then apply Hydro which will remove the Dendro and make a Bloom core, then hit the Bloom cores with Electro (Raiden's ES or EB).
If you want to play any elements besides Physical or Geo, you really want to get a handle on elemental reactions. The entirety of the combat system as well as most of the tertiary effects of most event minigames have at least a base commonality with the reaction system. I would consider Hyperbloom the easiest and mashiest type of reaction setup in the game. Unlike with Vaporize/Melt, you don't have to really worry about order or setup, you just throw all 3 elements on the field and it does its thing. If that's the type of gameplay you're into, watch this:

Regarding Nahida, you are kinda right with how she works, but don't forget that all of her attacks subsequently apply Dendro too. That makes her paired with Xingqiu or Yelan a super efficient core generator.

However does that mean that if I'm attacking too fast with Raiden, then it ruins the setup and I actually am stripping off the Dendro (creating Quicken) before the Hydro can be applied? So going frantic with Raiden's EB isn't helping make bloom cores at all?
So Dendro + Electro, when they react, create a state. Kinda like how Hydro + Cryo put the enemies into a "Frozen" state, Dendro + Electro will put them in a state called "Quicken". It's kinda hard to see, but when an enemy is Quickened, they have little yellowish electrical lines flowing over their bodies. When an enemy is Quickened, they take multiplied damage from either Electro (1.5 times) or Dendro (2x). This is independent of any blooming you also have going on in the same window. But yes, having more Dendro application is better because you will create more cores, BUT after the internal cooldown of each Aggravate reaction, you will still get increased Electro damage from your Shogun.

This page may help explain it better since it uses images:
So, talk to me about Navia. When I first saw all the Fontaine characters, I loved her design the most. However once it was revealed she was a Geo Claymore user I started to read a lot of doomposting. From what I could gather there were a lot of opinions that she simply was not grand. Plus I've seen a lot of opinions that Geo is "the worst element" or "in a bad spot right now".

If she's actually a strong character and easy/fun to play then I could be sold. Like I said, I love the character.

Ayaka seems cool too, but it kind of bothers me that Freeze doesn't work on bosses :(
Geo by design doesn't really react with elements for damage, so in a game built around elemental reactions, you can see why Geo hasn't exactly been popular in the playerbase. It's often been called "yellow physical" because they're both played in the same straightforward manner. Physical and Geo characters usually have higher multipliers or are easier to use, as a trade off.

Navia is both strong and easy to use, but she will not create all of the opportunities for damage that other team compositions will enable. So you're getting a very straightforward Geo elemental carry that can do big damage with her skill. If that's a comfy way for you to play, I'd argue she's the best Geo character we have. It's especially nice that she doesn't force you into using ONLY Geo characters like previous Geo damage characters (Itto). Although, Noelle has gotten an absolutely nutty buff with the release of Furina and might be even stronger than Navia at higher constellations.

I'm actually not sure I fully understand the correct way to play with elemental reactions, and considering the casual/mashy playstyle I'm looking for, maybe Hyperbloom isn't the reaction I should be chasing.
Hyperbloom is pretty ungabunga. There's something called "bloom ownership" that refers to the final character to active the (hyper)bloom, but in most scenarios this is impossible to track or influence. Just apply the elements constantly and stack as much EM as possible on your Electro units, and you'll do fine.

The only thing I'll add is that if you want to play Hyperbloom as effectively as possible, you wouldn't be using Shogun on field. She's just there to trigger the Hyperblooms with her skill, while you apply Dendro with Nahida's normal attacks (and triggering Hydro attacks from Xinqiu and/or Yelan).

People were skeptical of Navia before she was released, but now that she's actually in the game, everyone's really impressed by her performance. Geo is still a mediocre element, but Navia made it work anyway, and having a couple Geo chars on your account is always good for when the game demands it.

Since you like her design, I suggest you try her in the current combat event and maybe watch some videos. She basically collects Crystallize shards and turns them into ammo for her shotgun skill. She's really straightforward once you get that part down: just point and shoot. Might be perfect for you since she doesn't require a specific setup in terms of elements and reactions.

Pejo

Interesing and technically true infographic with Albedo's family tree.

I'll spoil blur it for those that weren't playing during the Albedo event, just in case they ever rerun it.

71ghps2ciaac1.png

It's funny, until I saw this, I had no idea that Whopperflower Albedo and Imposter Albedo were 2 different characters. I just thought Whopperbedo healed himself or cloned himself after we killed him in the event.

deanote666

Everyone talking about the best dendro team and me still struggling to remember what hyperbloom is.

Getting a 4pc nighttime whispers in the echoing woods set on Navia basically doubled her damage, even though I sacrificed some crit to make it happen.

C2 helps too.

Last edited:

Pejo

Quick look at the 4.3 part 2 4*s. I'm gonna do my absolute best to snipe a single Chev and wait for a better rerun. I'm a bit worried with how well I did sniping Kirara constellations last time...

nwiol8eordac1.jpg

It's funny, until I saw this, I had no idea that Whopperflower Albedo and Imposter Albedo were 2 different characters. I just thought Whopperbedo healed himself or cloned himself after we killed him in the event.
I thought the same thing, but then again that event happened like three years ago. I don't remember much about it. And damn, Rhinedottir looks like that?!

As for the banner, it's a shame Benny is on there but the other option was Xinyan so it wouldn't really have mattered. Let's hope the 4-star gods are with us next week.

I may be sold on Navia, I've only got two concerns.

I played with her a bunch in the Test Run and I think the playstyle is pretty neat, but I struggled with crystal generation. Part of me is thinking it's just due to the supports they give you.

The other concern is...Bennett. Most of the Navia videos I watched yesterday slotted him on the team by default, however I really do not like him. So I was thinking, what if I did a team like Navia, Zhongli, Furina, Charlotte? My Charlotte is C4 to help with energy, and I could slap my R5 Thrilling Tales on her to still provide Navia a big boost. She'd take care of the healing that Furina requires, and bring the added benefit of freeze.

Nankatsu

I may be sold on Navia,

I'm actually on the same boat. Played a bit more with her in the Trial and while not 100%, it felt better.

But then I remember Clorinde and The Knave, and well...I'm not that tempted to pull.

I find Navia very similar to Itto, and I barely use him.

Geo is Zhongli supremacy for me, and that's basically it.

Plus, haven't given up totally on CC.

Last edited:
I may be sold on Navia, I've only got two concerns.

I played with her a bunch in the Test Run and I think the playstyle is pretty neat, but I struggled with crystal generation. Part of me is thinking it's just due to the supports they give you.

The other concern is...Bennett. Most of the Navia videos I watched yesterday slotted him on the team by default, however I really do not like him. So I was thinking, what if I did a team like Navia, Zhongli, Furina, Charlotte? My Charlotte is C4 to help with energy, and I could slap my R5 Thrilling Tales on her to still provide Navia a big boost. She'd take care of the healing that Furina requires, and bring the added benefit of freeze.
For Navia, it's vital that you start the fight by using her burst as that generates ammo passively and creates crystals. The trial doesn't start you with any energy so you can't use the burst immediately, which makes her feel pretty terrible. She's available to try in the current combat event where you get much more time to play with her, so I'd try her there if you're still on the fence.

As for Bennett, he is a good support for her but not mandatory. I've never used him at all, so I know for a fact that Navia (or any character) can thrive without him. As a general tip, the easiest way to outpace Bennett, is by giving your DPS a 5-star weapon with high attack. His ATK buff becomes far less relevant when you do that. But I've been running Navia with the F2P event claymore to good effect so don't worry too much if you don't have any 5-star weapons.

The team I've been running is very similar to the one you proposed here (Kirara instead of Zhongli, simply for companion exp) and it's been working well for me. Zhongli will be a better choice since he can generate some crystals too. Charlotte is a great fit for that team and she can carry Tenacity of the Millelith for a little extra boost.

deanote666

Can't say that I'm waiting for a full charge before shooting Navia's E, but I never have a shortage of crystals with Yae and Kokomi.

For Navia, it's vital that you start the fight by using her burst as that generates ammo passively and creates crystals. The trial doesn't start you with any energy so you can't use the burst immediately, which makes her feel pretty terrible. She's available to try in the current combat event where you get much more time to play with her, so I'd try her there if you're still on the fence.
Good call on the current event, it feels so much better to use her with my own units. Using our own units should be a standard option for Test Run.

So with just Navia's Burst, Furina, and a Zhongli pillar I was generating enough Crystals to do two full shots per rotation. I'll have to quickly raise up my Charlotte and see how much better it feels. Damage felt rather low with the stock Navia they give you (about 80k a skill pop) but I'm sure she's not super tuned.

It does make me sad that I would have to bench Jean after putting so much work into raising her, I've not had to do that for any characters yet.

I just need to muster the courage to pull at this point, I always find it difficult to commit my limited primos into a unit because I may not like them. I like that a new Navia setup lets me use my Furina and not really bust up my original Raiden/Yelan/Nahida team.

Pejo

So I finished the main event story quest tonight, that one was really good compared to a lot of others we've had. I really like Chev too.
    • Chev is one of the more fleshed out 4*s with good complex character that isn't just one trait repeated ad nauseum. It's easy to see both sides of the outcome and it was cool that they gave her a line that "some things work in fiction but not in real life". Surprisingly good storytelling from MHY on a voiced quest. They must have had some of the world quest crew move over and help them out.
    • I'm probably stupid, but I didn't see that twist coming with Veronique. Wasn't mind blowing or anything, but a nice little "wow" moment there.
    • I feel like if this was anything other than a children's game, Yoimiya would have been seducing the mustache guy to get him into that warehouse using her lewd sinful body. "Help me carry fireworks" was a pretty lame substitute.
    • Chev's kit is fucking AWFUL and does her a disservice. The gun aiming is fast and feels good compared to Charlotte's aim, but the skill is over so quick and has such a long cooldown. Her burst feels just like a Pyro variant of Kirara's too, which is so bad I barely remember to even use it. You can't even fix her with Sacrificial because there is no polearm. They really are going creatively bankrupt with kits lately. Even if she had 2 shots, it'd be better, or if her shots had a lingering effect other than those 2 shrapnel. It's like an aimed inferior version of Klee's bombs. Very disappointed in that kit.
    • Furina was a lot of fun on screen. I'm kinda miffed that they spoiled the archon quest themselves considering I had avoided spoilers for so long. But again, that's my fault for slacking on the main quest.
    • I'm gonna miss clapper Paimon.
    [*]
I'm setting some time away this weekend to at least finish the Archon quests and Navia/Wrio's story quests. I need to get my ass in gear if I want to have most of Fontaine done before Cloud Retainer drops.

Pejo

Look like early Chiori leaks are saying she's a GEO DEF Scaling sword user sub DPS. Supposedly her signature 5* weapon is also good on Albedo.

MHY truly are masters of kit design.

Look like early Chiori leaks are saying she's a GEO DEF Scaling sword user sub DPS. Supposedly her signature 5* weapon is also good on Albedo.

MHY truly are masters of kit design.
I'm gonna be pissed if they revive the mono Geo defense meta again. I'll never use that shitty furry MHY, you can't force me! But as long as I can use her with Navia it'll be fine. I'll just have to pray that dumb mutt won't be on her banner. Maybe I'll have to level Cinnabar Spindle after all, huh?

Completely unrelated lore talk: When you fight the Oceanid boss in Liyue, it confuses you for assassins sent from her homeland. How does this fit with what we currently know about Oceanids, Fontaine and the archon? It doesn't make any sense to me at all, and makes it seem like they originally had a very different vision for Fontaine.

Pejo

I'm gonna be pissed if they revive the mono Geo defense meta again. I'll never use that shitty furry MHY, you can't force me! But as long as I can use her with Navia it'll be fine. I'll just have to pray that dumb mutt won't be on her banner. Maybe I'll have to level Cinnabar Spindle after all, huh?
I actually rolled Albedo a few years ago, and I really like him EXCEPT that ground flower he makes that pretty much enables his whole kit has the durability of tissue paper. It makes him useless on literally anything with mitachurl-sized or larger bosses, which is the main time that you need him. I'm beyond frustrated that they never addressed that problem. Never mind that you can't even deploy his flower on certain types of ground. If his flower had 20x the durability and was able to be used anywhere, I think he'd be a really good off-field DPS
Completely unrelated lore talk: When you fight the Oceanid boss in Liyue, it confuses you for assassins sent from her homeland. How does this fit with what we currently know about Oceanids, Fontaine and the archon? It doesn't make any sense to me at all, and makes it seem like they originally had a very different vision for Fontaine.
I will chime in on this after I finish the Archon quest, but I'd also like more info on the Oceanid or water god or whatever the fuck it was that snuck its way into Sumeru by the big glowing tree and fought back the abyss with the help of the bird progenitor. That was another bit of lore that they slapdash threw together that I didn't see mentioned after that area.

Not that I can really blame them, but the game and lore has gotten so big now, I'd imagine it's difficult to remember all of the various references at all times. Especially since it's probably multiple teams of totally different people making different nations/sections/quests. Probably why they made Nahida's chapter the way they did, so they can just retcon anything they need to later.

Alright I got Navia in 80! I considered getting her weapon, but I don't have enough to guarantee it and it would send me into depression if I came up short. Especially with talks of Chiori possibly being a complement to her. I may just spend the $10 and buy the battle pass thing to get the Serpent Spine. Worst case scenario, if no characters tempt me by the time her re-run comes along and I'm still loving her, I can get the weapon then.

...and boy, the games 160 Stamina system really takes the wind of of the sails when pulling a new character.

Pejo

Alright I got Navia in 80! I considered getting her weapon, but I don't have enough to guarantee it and it would send me into depression if I came up short. Especially with talks of Chiori possibly being a complement to her. I may just spend the $10 and buy the battle pass thing to get the Serpent Spine. Worst case scenario, if no characters tempt me by the time her re-run comes along and I'm still loving her, I can get the weapon then.

...and boy, the games 160 Stamina system really takes the wind of of the sails when pulling a new character.
The new event's greatsword is pretty good on Navia. She really doesn't have a bad option as long as it scales with attack stats (ATK/CRIT/CDMG), if you don't want to spend. Also congrats!

Pejo

Looks like the prison guard goth girl got erased from the 4.x versions of Genshin. Maybe she'll be a "return to Fontaine" character for later? Shame, she was one of the better designs. Far right is the one I'm talking about. Wonder what happened to the Sumery mummy girl?

iu

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Just wrapped up the event.

Overall I really liked the Fontaine film festival event. The story with Chevreuse, the two musketeers, and all the games were enjoyable. Furina as director was good too.

I usually skip all the dialogue in most events, especially if it’s more silly in nature. But this one was entertaining. 9/10 would event again.

————

On a completely unrelated topic I’ve been using food more lately and came across the special item NRE 30 which lets you quick equip 2 food items. But it doesn’t seem to allow me to equip stamina related foods.
My plan was to cook mass amounts of stamina food and just never ever run out again lol. Always running.

—-

Raiden pre farm is moving along nicely. Almost have all the lightning boss drops. All the fruit I’ll ever need, and tons of talent scrolls. Still very low on xp books, but what can ya do lol

Last edited:

Pejo

Another early pre release animation/kit showcase. This time it was Waterboi.

This makes so much more sense in terms of CN sword myths, where somebody makes a field of swords and then dances on top of them like in kung fu movies. So originally he just made a bunch of water swords on the field that probably applied hydro if the enemies ran into them. Much worse than his final iteration, but thematically as a student of the sword it "fits" better.

Top Bottom