• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley and Youtube Gaming launch weekly live talk show on Sept. 29

Smellycat

Hmmmm.... Sept 29. I wonder if the first episode is about the NX. Maybe Geoff knows something....

This is exciting anyways, I like both of them

Mediking

Think of it as an extension of what we do at E3. A lot of those guests have big audiences and represent a new generation of gamers, and it's on us to figure out how to bring all the audiences together and grow this industry.

@?!?! Geoff... Is that really you?! Wow!

Sounds good. Though, why is UnboxTherapy on it? I thought it said YoutTube gaming content creators? Don't get me wrong, I love Lewis and UnboxTherapy, but gaming isn't his forte.

Don't know about NX, but that day is the pre-Twitchcon event where Amazon will show their games. So, they'll already have fresh material to discuss. If the show will be after the event, that is.

joms5

And that show would appeal to a insanely small crowd.

Keighley is smart and is building a show that will have mass appeal on the modern sense. And talk to the younger generation in a way then most of the other products today from IGN and similar sites.

You're right. And that's great. I would rather it know what it wants to be than to try to appeal to everyone and water it's content down. That's the problem with Keighly. He always sells out.

Wants to create an awards show that gamers would be proud to watch, but then brings celebrities to the event. I don't give a shit about celebs when it comes to games. That's what the other 3 awards shows are for during the year.

Bringing these people on may attract a younger segment but then it's time to ask why you're doing this. It's either have integrity or be rich and famous. Very few can straddle the line to have both.

I never understand what his end game is. He did the Game Awards last year which was pretty damn good. Then he goes and does the Dorito's stage and this stuff.

Obigatory:

d07.png

Maybe i'm the minority here, but are people here actually excited to see Keighly do something, or are they excited about the Youtube personalities being on the show?

Congrats Geoff and also cool to see Kyle on board as well.

GAFs reactions to the guest list is hilarious because you see all these posts about "I'm out" and yet 1 of some of these YouTube guys crowds is bigger than the entirety of GAF by several times. Don't get me wrong I'm not crazy about all of them either but it makes perfect sense to have them on.

Will watch to support Keighley

styl3s

GAFs reactions to the guest list is hilarious because you see all these posts about "I'm out" and yet 1 of some of these YouTube guys crowds is bigger than the entirety of GAF by several times. Don't get me wrong I'm not crazy about all of them either but it makes perfect sense to have them on.

Is someone being bigger than the entirety of youtube supposed to mean something to me? My nieces/nephews who range from 11-19 will eat this shit up all they do is watch youtube on their phones/ipads that's all they talk about. Pewdiepie this, i justine that etc. They weren't even interested in video games till they saw a bunch of these personalities and i think that's AWESOME. I don't have anything against youtube personalities i just don't watch them but i respect a lot of them and i love that they are getting more people into a hobby i love.

Like i said in my post i know i am not the demographic and that's fine. Geoff understands youtube and the demographic and the channel will do a killing and i hope it brings more new people into the hobby i absolutely adore.

AudioEppa

"Guests including .."
Yeah, no way I'm watching those wank stains.

I know it is on YouTube but using youtube "celebs" is not the way to go.

But it is the way to go. People like yourself not tuning in on certain weeks because of "popular ytubers" doesn't compare to the number of views they'll receive by actually being smart about who they associate the show with.

If it was the same kind of frequent guest back on bonus round it would get probably 10 to 15k views. It's good to mix it up with everyone who has anything to do with gaming. Getting a 100k+ viewers should be top priority so more spotlight can be given to all games and stories from the industry.

Karak

Think of it as an extension of what we do at E3. A lot of those guests have big audiences and represent a new generation of gamers, and it's on us to figure out how to bring all the audiences together and grow this industry.

So no plan for those of us in the 100,000 but not in the millions then? lol

FinKL

Will definitely tune in to watch and hope for the best for the production! Hopefully the chat isn't as bad as Youtube comments normally is.

This is like the equivalent of publishers chasing the CoD audience

joms5

But aren't we not allowed to like the guests he has on? I'll give his show a try because i'm hoping he brings on N'Gai or Jeff Green, maybe Gerstmann or Brandon Jones. But those guests that have been announced do nothing to get me excited.

I remember the last time I watched one of these panel shows when they brought in SMOSH games. Holy shit talk about obnoxious. Not even that, but they brought nothing to the table. Just made unfunny jokes and agreed the entire time while derailing the conversation any chance they could get. It wasn't a Keighly joint, think it may have been Gametrailers.

I guess all i'm saying is that although this "makes sense" to you, it isn't always in the best interests of all. Season passes "make sense" but sometimes it screws the people that support you the most.

You're right. And that's great. I would rather it know what it wants to be than to try to appeal to everyone and water it's content down. That's the problem with Keighly. He always sells out.

Wants to create an awards show that gamers would be proud to watch, but then brings celebrities to the event. I don't give a shit about celebs when it comes to games. That's what the other 3 awards shows are for during the year.

Bringing these people on may attract a younger segment but then it's time to ask why you're doing this. It's either have integrity or be rich and famous. Very few can straddle the line to have both.

I never understand what his end game is. He did the Game Awards last year which was pretty damn good. Then he goes and does the Dorito's stage and this stuff.

Obigatory:

d07.png

Maybe i'm the minority here, but are people here actually excited to see Keighly do something, or are they excited about the Youtube personalities being on the show?

You need to fucking relax dude. I'm a hardcore gamer and I enoy AngryJoeShow and Nadeshot. Maybe it doesn't appeal to you but there's plenty of gamers that clearly love their content so who are you to question the authenticity or the appeal.

You sound like an old man yelling at a cloud out here seriously.

Karak

You deserve a pass for that majestic beard of yours.

LOL. It gets me into venues so often ha. Kidding. Just that many times its all about the persona and so it would be nice to really sit down and discuss games and reviewing, and design versus some of the other stuff we see.

Taker34

Banned
Nice, I personally always liked GTTV and Keighleys work, so it's great to see Bosman being back in the boat as well. While I'm not particularly interested in most YouTube personas, you can't deny their overall importance and impact in the industry -> you need to make popular content in order keep such a show running. I guess some award shows wouldn't be aired on TV without the celebs back then so maybe it's a similar situation- I don't know. I hope we'll see a few devs and faces from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo outside of the annual E3 interviews.
There's lots of potential and Geoff seems to like experimenting first so he can see what sticks and what not.

Dorito Pope meme aside, Keighley did a lot of great things to not represent gamers but the hobby of gaming to a more mainstream audience. "The Final Hours of...", GTTV, Bonus Round and his latest Game Awards show are fantastic content. If you don't like him for that, please remember about the Fox News Mass Effect segment. He always cared about our hobby, so more power to him.

Super hyped for this. Geoff has always been my fav video game presenter. Loved the Bonus round segment on GT.

A Geoff & Kyle segment would be magic, as would a Geoff & Angry joe duo. They've had beef in the past, but i think they've both matured greatly and are extremely entertaining to watch.

joms5

You need to fucking relax dude. I'm a hardcore gamer and I enoy AngryJoeShow and Nadeshot. Maybe it doesn't appeal to you but there's plenty of gamers that clearly love their content so who are you to question the authenticity or the appeal.

You sound like an old man yelling at a cloud out here seriously.

Oh lord, every thread has one.

You need to fucking relax dude.

I suggest you look in the mirror. In fact watching someone called "AngryJoe" may not be in your best interest if that's how you fly off the handle with someone who doesn't see eye to eye with you. If I'm the old man yelling, then you're the young child throwing a hissy fit.

Now i've never questioned their appeal. It's pretty apparent that they have massive appeal. That's fine and great. But I don't care about appeal. Appeal means nothing to me. What does appeal matter to you? How does having huge appeal improve the content of the show?

That's my issue. It's like bringing Katy Perry on to discuss the Nintendo NX. Huge appeal, but what in the hell does she know about Nintendo or the industry. As I said earlier i would like people who have actually "worked" in the industry to give their "educated and experienced" opinions. Bring on Pachter or some other analysts. Bring on any number of journalists who have lived writing about the industry for the past 20 years. Bring on the people who "actually make the games". Just because you play games in front of a webcam doesn't make you knowledgeable about the industry at large.

Now they might have that stuff but judging by what has been announced it doesn't sound all that appealing to me. And what's wrong with that? Am I not allowed to be disappointed that the show may not be what I was hoping for? Have you ever watched what Keighley used to do with his work on the Bonus Round? That's what I would like to see him do.

EDIT:

I'm a hardcore gamer

Congratulations. I am clearly not as "hardcore" as you. I don't even know who these "here today gone tomorrow" people are. Good for you.

Love the general idea and have real respect for Geoff, but I'm not into those guests or more of those musical performances like the VGAs featured. Both are aspects I understand are effectively necessary for YouTube integration and attracting both the target demographic and a wider audience, but Geoff (as a host and someone with a good understanding and respect for the medium) is definitely the reason to actually watch this.

I don't know whether I love or hate the name iHasCupQuake

I hate that name... but I hate the fact that I didn't think of it first more.

Congrats Geoff, good to see you back in action.
I hope we get a Bonus Round style section, with game journos and pundits.

I did like to watch the Bonus Round so I'll check what Geoff is doing with this. If its a YouTube thumbnail stretched out for an hour then it won't be for long though.

Hale-XF11

I have to agree with others here that the only reason I'd watch this is to see Geoff and the vg industry guests. Could care less about youtubers and music artists. But I will check it out and give it a chance.

Kettle...meet pot.

This is not a circle jerk thread. joms5's message is a valid argument. Geoff gets a pass on criticism a lot of times because he is perceived to be someone who has a passion for industry. His critics sit on the other side of the fence for that very same reason. When you stop drinking the Kool-aid and take a hard look at his business model, it is just that, a business model and one arguably that strives when he caters to the industry ("celebraties") before he does the gamers. When he does criticize the industry, it is as an opportunist. The whole "Kojima/Konami" thing is an embarrassing example. Days later, the two are high fiving each other on twitter. Fuck me.

As a rule, I generally have little respect for these self professed gaming "journalists" who think that airing someone's dirty laundry on air is a good for the industry or gamers or whoever. Other people in his circle , and many more on twitter, think that cheerleading developers with blind optimism is good for the industry when its really only good for their own brand. These poor developers: They work haaaard. They spend hours of their liiiiiives working on entertaining gamers. So by default, I guess we should blindly support them with the hard earned money we make with the little disposable income we have.

Nah, lol. Pandering is a problem in our industry and Geoff is a panderer and the Jimmy Fallon of the industry. I have zero interest in not calling it out when I personally see it. It's fine to enjoy it, but it's dumb to not criticize it when warranted. Two things can be true.

It's a valid argument in terms of "I don't like this" absolutely. But in terms of making a successful show it's a pretty bad one IMO. Those names that you guys don't like/respect (and honestly I dislike a couple of them myself) have huge audiences - the kind that can bring the necessary attention to get a show like this off the ground and make it a success. What you are calling pandering I call a realistic business model - as you yourself alluded to. There is a reason those developers want to cooperate and interact with Geoff. The show some people in this thread are saying they want, with no "celebrities", or corporate influences and brands (doritos and mountain dew all the way!) would be an absolute money loser. Even the NFL is brought to me by Verizon and Budweiser.

It's totally okay to not like Geoff, or to not like the guests listed on this show, and of course its fine to criticize them. But if losing you as a viewer brings in 5 other viewers its the right move. Jimmy Fallon does pretty damned well in the ratings.

As a side note telling people to "fucking relax" when you disagree with them has always been, and will always be, a dick move Exploratory.

VanWinkle

Such a bittersweet announcement. Really cool to see Geoff doing a show like this, but having those YouTube video creators on there like the ones listed deflated my hype SO much. Could not have less interest in hearing UnboxTherapy and iJustine's thoughts on this show.

AAK

A 1 hour and weekly show with Kyle Bosman as the Producer??? How does he even have time for Easy Allies?

VanWinkle

A 1 hour and weekly show with Kyle Bosman as the Producer??? How does he even have time for Easy Allies?

Bosman has no editorial content on Easy Allies, which would take a TON of time needed out of it. Game streams take little to no preparation, so all he really has to worry about is his weekly podcast with the other guys.

joms5

The show some people in this thread are saying they want, with no "celebrities", or corporate influences and brands (doritos and mountain dew all the way!) would be an absolute money loser. Even the NFL is brought to me by Verizon and Budweiser.

I understand this. I think maybe it's the way it's implemented that just seems sleazy.

Plus can't Geoff get sponsors that people would actually want ads from? For example, I would have no problem and would even like ads from people such as:

Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft
Intel/AMD
Samsung
Nvidia/ATI
Logitech
Corsair
Best Buy
etc.

I hate both Doritos and Mountain Dew.

I remember watching the Game Awards commercials like a hawk because they were actually advertising things I may actually want to buy.

udivision

I understand this. I think maybe it's the way it's implemented that just seems sleazy.

Plus can't Geoff get sponsors that people would actually want ads from? For example, I would have no problem and would even like ads from people such as:

Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft
Intel/AMD
Samsung
Nvidia/ATI
Logitech
Corsair
Best Buy
etc.

I hate both Doritos and Mountain Dew.

I remember watching the Game Awards commercials like a hawk because they were actually advertising things I may actually want to buy.

The problem with a few of those is that there may be a conflict of interests.
EDIT: Well, that depends on the nature of thew show I guess. Maybe that won't be an issue.

"Guests including .."
Yeah, no way I'm watching those wank stains.

I know it is on YouTube but using youtube "celebs" is not the way to go.

You know it's interesting, but there comes a risk of being neither here nor there. You want an intelligent show with guest appearances from actual game designers, artists, creators. Members of the game media - known talented writers and journalists. But then you also have these loud, youtube vloggers which a lot of audiences like Neogaf, just does not like at all.

I understand the need to have these guests to drive viewership up, but that method is very similar to a developer altering a sequel of a franchise in order to grab that "Call of Duty" crowd and ultimately you appeal to neither group. I also don't think that audience, is going to be reliable on a week by week basis. So, you're appealing to an unreliable audience where as the smaller (but more reliable) audience is going to get annoyed by these sugary pop-culture youtube "celebs"

I'd be much more be interested in a show that had the art designer of Bound in it, instead of a youtube personality. Hopefully, somewhere, somebody will do a proper follow up to GTTV. N'Gai, Brandon Jones, Gerstman, a pundit, with a game developer or two as Geof as moderator = GOLD. Hopefully something like that starts one day. Maybe even patreon could come into play. You'll have a smaller audience, but an older more sophisticated one that could back it up on patreon.

Top Bottom