• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
XiaNaphryz said:
Surprised noone's brought up this part at the bottom of the article, as Muren details the major long-term goal all the major vfx houses are trying to outrace each other to achieve:

How's the digital de-aging for Leia going?

Goody

alr1ghtstart said:
how is there not one 35mm print from the original run in the wild?
Seriously. Every few years it seems someone seems to find an old print of something like Nosferatu, Metropolis, or Grand Illusion, but there's not a print of Star Wars out there? Nonsense.

Esnel Pla said:
Seriously. Every few years it seems someone seems to find an old print of something like Nosferatu, Metropolis, or Grand Illusion, but there's not a print of Star Wars out there? Nonsense.

To be fair, they've had a few extra decades for searching. :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Esnel Pla said:
This was like the whole plot to the South Park episode. The kids try to get Lucas' originals from his vault, but then he catches them, but then they change his mind and melt his heart with a cool island song, but then Spielberg shows up and ties the kids to stakes while he shows the new version of Raiders.

Tedesco!

Woorloog said:
I don't care as long as:
Han shoots first
Kray Dragon scream is the original one
There are no fucking color timing errors. Pink saber for Vader... dear god that looked horrible. And any other techincal shit 2004 versions have.
Original versions or 97' versions are available.

Nope.
Don't know.
Yes.
Probably.
Never.

Esnel Pla said:

If there are existing prints out there, the owners are probably hiding them. The minute they reveal they have a copy is the minute Lucas' lawyers knock on their door.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
dlhGD.gif

I never thought I'd get to use this one twice in a row...but...fuck...

not like this...not like this.

Furret

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
George Lucas is a sad little man with an embarrassing hard on for CGI. Either all his early successes were flukes (or more likely the result of surrounding himself with more talented people), or middle age has been infinitely cruel, changing him from a young visionary into the biggest sellout whore in the history of cinema.

I don't think it's ever been any more complicated than that.

Trying to denigrate or marginalise his early achievements is unfair. He just... got old. Everyone has a finite amount of mojo and Lucas just burned out too early and unfortunately it's taking him a long time to fade away.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh hey, I was right! Episode II was shot at less than 1080p resolution. Ouch.

edit - it actually astounds me that directors (especially those as technologically competent as Lucas) switched to digital before 4k cameras were ready. The benefits of digital don't outweigh the negatives of losing all that resolution compared to film.

edit 2 - and Episode III was shot only at 1080p? Weren't 4K cameras available by then?!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
apparently there is a nice 35mm print out there
http://savestarwars.com/technicoloribscreening.html

Floating around in the world are a few private 35mm copies of the Star Wars films. They are on Eastman Kodak film, and, although different individual prints fade at differing rates, would by now be unpresentable as is. A few weeks ago, I saw a 1975 print of Jaws, and the title card that was supposed to be white-on-black was now white-on-red, so vivid that I thought it was an alternate title card timed to look like blood. Sadly, the rest of the print was very pink. It was also scratched to hell from being played for thirty years. Most of those private prints of Star Wars floating around probably look about the same--even if never played, the photochemical emulsion of Kodak film would have turned pink by now. Except for one print. One print is special. It is a Technicolor imbibition dye-transfer print. This means: it has a finer grain and better picture, but, more importantly, it looks exactly the same as the day it was printed. Properly cared for, it will outlast all of us.

pics: http://photos.petergaultney.com/Mov...at-The-Senator/13089279_nXePV#948662138_wuqj9

948675315_cHuGm-XL.jpg

948693565_GrcLK-XL.jpg

948713561_WKZxo-XL.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i didn't really have a problem with the special edition etc. etc.. so meh.

Maybe in 20 years we can finally get rid of the horrible darth vader/obi wan fight in episode 4.

Rapstah

Those few changes that are actually listed in the article aren't bad things at all. If you find technical and film making errors charming then you should be watching it on whatever it was released on back in the thirties.

Slayven

I love when shit gets announced about Star Wars. The hard core fans get so worked up in a tizzy. The OCD of it drives them nuts.

Furret

Banned
Windu said:
i didn't really have a problem with the special edition etc. etc.. so meh.

Maybe in 20 years we can finally get rid of the horrible darth vader/obi wan fight in episode 4.

Maybe in 20 years we can finally get rid of you.

McNum

VGChampion said:
Plus it's the best of the prequels. I don't care what anyone says, pod racing was fun.
The podrace in 3D would be worth the price of admission. Plus I just love the sound design of the podrace. You know the sound engineers hit it out if the park when you only notice that the music was missing when it starts back up on the final stretch.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't even like Star Wars all that much, but I feel for such a landmark film (esp in visual effects area), to not be able to find it in its original form is pretty bad.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All Jedis now say "LIGHTSABER ON!" before their blades fire up.

Suairyu

Banned
Morn said:
Hah and that slowpduck was actually saying Adywan's version was good.

alr1ghtstart said:
I don't even like Star Wars all that much, but I feel for such a landmark film (esp in visual effects area), to not be able to find it in its original form is pretty bad.
It's cultural vandalism of the worst kind. It'd be like Egypt remodelling the Pyramids of Giza into a 'superior' shape because they own them.

The hilarious thing is the Lucas argued against the destruction of older prints once upon a time when studios were pushing to colourise old black and white films. Money changed him.

WillyFive

Windu said:
well with someone that is decent at mixing music sure. That music is all over the place.

Yeah, that is something that shouldn't have been added in. The new editing is great, but the music is out of place.

Other than that, Adywan's version is probably the best version of Star Wars available now.

White Man said:
Those covers at the bottom of the OP's article are horrendous. Star Wars should always have its original poster art.

Agreed.

Willy105 said:
Yeah, that is something that shouldn't have been added in. The new editing is great, but the music is out of place.

Other than that, Adywan's version is probably the best version of Star Wars available now.

Agreed.
It's a shame, he's so close with the music, i think he has the right idea, but he needs someone to mix it better and be more subtle with it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
White Man said:
Those covers at the bottom of the OP's article are horrendous. Star Wars should always have its original poster art.
The posters are wildly inconsistent in tone, though. I see the logic of trying to keep all the films at the same level by unifying the artstyle.

The DVD covers were WORST CASE SCENARIO though.

Suairyu

Banned
Qwomo said:
Vastly better than the original.

Although the audio isn't great.
The whole thing reeks of someone's lame youtube martial arts movie with an epic score from another film thrown over the top. It's shit.

The original was without music for a reason.

WillyFive

Suairyu said:
The whole thing reeks of someone's lame youtube martial arts movie with an epic score from another film thrown over the top. It's shit.

Sure. But that's not the whole movie.

Qwomo

Suairyu said:

Nah, Adywan shows some excellent technical skill with his edits. He does a better job of refurbishing the movie than most professionals.

Darklord

Banned
White Man said:

I like the complete saga artwork. It's the prequel art that's kinda terrible.

XiaNaphryz said:
Surprised noone's brought up this part at the bottom of the article, as Muren details the major long-term goal all the major vfx houses are trying to outrace each other to achieve:
Makes me think of the 2004 DVD menus, using CGI versions of Luke, Han, etc.

I'd be into episodes 7-9 featuring digital actors from the original trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom