• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
BattleMonkey said:
Again, what choice did they have? Wait for Luke to pop out a kid and train him? Also despite the argument Qui Gon had, Yoda does basically say it's ok to train the kid despite the council not agreeing with the choice, they never forbid it and Anakin becomes a member of the order.

You are comparing two completely different eras here, in the prequels they had basically unlimited supply of Jedi, they would easily deny membership on the grounds of age. Why would they care, they had huge archive even of young Jedi waiting to join in at the proper age.
I agree. Of all the plot inconsistencies that you could point to, this one seems to be about the silliest and the easily explained.

3rdman

megashock5 said:
I just got done watching Harmy's "De-specialized" cut of ANH with my daughter and it was GLORIOUS!

I damn near teared up when the credits rolled.

Major props to Harmy on this. Excellent work.
I just want to say the same. He did a fantastic job on all 3 of them but ANH is really outstanding!

Seth C

neorej said:
Didn't Qui Gon go rogue and trained Ani in defiance of the council?

Shit doesn't make any sense. You cannot say Anakin is too old and then go and be perfectly fine with an even older Luke joining the order of Jedi.

I don't know if you were paying attention, but by the time Luke was trained the Jedi Order consisted pretty much of Yoda and Obi-Wan, both of whom were in hiding. The same rules stop applying when you're about to go extinct. How is this so hard for you to grasp?

JGS

Banned
neorej said:
Didn't Qui Gon go rogue and trained Ani in defiance of the council?
This is the truth. the thing that doesn't make sense is that Obiwan went along with it since he didn't believe Anakin was that special- all the way up to III where Anakin still isn't trusted by the Jedi. The only reason Obiwan dusagrees by then is because he loves Anakin like a brother which he's not supposed to do either.

neorej said:
Shit doesn't make any sense. You cannot say Anakin is too old and then go and be perfectly fine with an even older Luke joining the order of Jedi.
Luke was the Jedi order so I get that one. When all you have is lemons....

Anakin came out a time when it was practically raining Jedi. They actually had a training program in place that crossed the empire. Tatooine being an independent planet was the only reason he was missed to begin with.

JGS said:
This is the truth. the thing that doesn't make sense is that Obiwan went along with it since he didn't believe Anakin was that special- all the way up to III where Anakin still isn't trusted by the Jedi. The only reason Obiwan dusagrees by then is because he loves Anakin like a brother which he's not supposed to do either.

He promised Qui Gon that he was going to train the boy on his deathbed.

Seth C said:
I don't know if you were paying attention, but by the time Luke was trained the Jedi Order consisted pretty much of Yoda and Obi-Wan, both of whom were in hiding. The same rules stop applying when you're about to go extinct. How is this so hard for you to grasp?

Luke didn't get a Padawan braid. This makes no sense!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
BattleMonkey said:
His age had nothing to do with him becoming Darth Vader
Uh, it was the central problem. He was old enough to be attached to his mother, which is the problem the council tries to avoid by identifying them so young.

He could not forget his mother, which is why he tried to save her in Ep. II. his emotions ruled his actions.

Yasae

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Again, what choice did they have? Wait for Luke to pop out a kid and train him? Also despite the argument Qui Gon had, Yoda does basically say it's ok to train the kid despite the council not agreeing with the choice, they never forbid it and Anakin becomes a member of the order.
They? Actually.. Yoda never consults with the council regarding Anakin's induction, at least not visibly. The best I could assume was that he smoothed things over after making a hasty decision.

Tence said:
They imply his age might become a problem. They have doubts that might become a problem. And now it has nothing to do with it?

Then why the fuck was it mentioned in the first place? That means it is even WORSE writing because they could have avoided this discussion altogheter by never ever mentioning Anakin is too young.
Regardless of how much his age was a factor, it's true the Council thinks it is, and that's important. One of Anakin's problems was feeling slighted by the Council, and that started almost as soon as they met.

JGS

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
He promised Qui Gon that he was going to train the boy on his deathbed.
I know. I'm just not sure why promising something to Qui Gon overrode the general sense that Anakin should not be trained. My belief is he did it because he was more loyal to Qui Gon than the council. This isn't a bad thing except that Lucas didn't highlight the fact that Obiwan wasn't acting very Jedi like either.

I've mentioned this before, but I think the prequels would have been so much better if Obiwan was the focus. He was almost as flawed a charcter as Anakin or Luke, but also more noble. It would have been more interesting watching his struggles with the Dark Side (Would have went very well in his fight with Darth Maul actually although Darth Maul should have lasted through the trilogy as Sideous' apprentice) than watch a story about someone we already know succumbs to it.

markatisu

Yasae said:
They? Actually.. Yoda never consults with the council regarding Anakin's induction, at least not visibly. The best I could assume was that he smoothed things over after making a hasty decision.

I don't think Yoda had to consult anyone, all the movies make it appear that whatever Yoda wants is going to go through.

mattp

so excited to watch the despecialized trilogy this week
i need to go buy a few dual layer dvds though. i burned a new hope, but empire gave me write errors so i wasted my last couple discs on it

neorej said:
IIRC the Jedi Council initially refused to train Anakin on account of being too old. This leads to Darth Vader, scourge of the galaxies, arch-nemesis of the Rebel Alliance.
Years later, Luke gets Jedi training from the guy who got proven right about not training people after a certain age. How is that NOT bad writing?

Uh, why are we arguing about this? There's dialog in Empire where Yoda says to Obi-Wan that he's too old here too and is hesitant to train Luke. They raised the issue even without the prequels.

Furret

Banned
neorej said:
IIRC the Jedi Council initially refused to train Anakin on account of being too old. This leads to Darth Vader, scourge of the galaxies, arch-nemesis of the Rebel Alliance.
Years later, Luke gets Jedi training from the guy who got proven right about not training people after a certain age. How is that NOT bad writing?

What are you trying to say here? Nobody disagrees that the prequels are poorly scripted, but this is possibly the least offensive example you could've picked.

Or are you trying to accuse the original trilogy of retroactive bad writing, because of something that was said in the prequels and now proves somewhat inconsistent (although not really, because - as everyone has said - what option did they have?)

You do realise that the original trilogy was written before the prequels and before George Lucas went senile?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
JGS said:
I know. I'm just not sure why promising something to Qui Gon overrode the general sense that Anakin should not be trained. My belief is he did it because he was more loyal to Qui Gon than the council. This isn't a bad thing except that Lucas didn't highlight the fact that Obiwan wasn't acting very Jedi like either.

I've mentioned this before, but I think the prequels would have been so much better if Obiwan was the focus. He was almost as flawed a charcter as Anakin or Luke, but also more noble. It would have been more interesting watching his struggles with the Dark Side (Would have went very well in his fight with Darth Maul actually although Darth Maul should have lasted through the trilogy as Sideous' apprentice) than watch a story about someone we already know succumbs to it.
I talked with some other gaffers about this a few days ago, and one suggested that the prequel trilogy could have had Anakin and Obi-Wan have the sortof mentor/brother relationship we saw develop, with Obi-Wan mentoring Anakin while still seeking revenge against Maul for the death of Qui Gon. Eventually Obi-Wan realizes the error of his ways and halts his own path towards the Dark Side, but he is unable to save Anakin, to whom he taught his misguided principles.

Another suggestion I heard was that Anakin should have been older when he was discovered by the Jedi. Much much older. During the Clone Wars word spreads of an unknown and unfathomably powerful pilot who survives battle after battle, eliminating waves of fighters on his own. The Jedi can sense his unimaginable power, his natural strength with the force, and that he is susceptible to the influences of the dark side of the force, and decide to eliminate him, they're so fearful of his ability and the threat he could pose to them in the future (even though he is fighting on the same side as them). They send half a dozen jedi knights on a secret assassination mission, but none return. They decide to try to make him a part of the Jedi Order, although he and the jedi do not see eye to eye on a great matter of things. Eventually the pilot (Anakin) becomes a jedi, but he has a fallout with the jedi order and turns over to the dark side, as the jedi feared.

Pretty much any fan-made plotline would have been better than what we got, as long as it's not directed by Lucas. Even the Anakin/Obi-Wan/"Luke's Mother" love triangle that was rumored way back when.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
DiipuSurotu said:
Pretty much any fan-made plotline would have been better than what we got. Even the Anakin/Obi-Wan/"Luke's Mother" love triangle that was rumored way back when.
oh come on, you mean you didn't enjoy seeing one movie focussed on pod racing and another movie focused on what George Lucas's concept of love is?

neorej said:

This topic is one of the central plot points of the entire saga. The Force being out of balance had as much to do with the Jedi as it did the Sith. Both orders were polar points along the same line. The balance (humanity) lay between them. Love and compassion require loss and pain to understand the consequences of both.

The Jedi forbid taking older children into their ranks because they want kids that have never known love in their hearts. If they take the child before it can learn the emotion, which is typically gained from your parents, then they will not have learned the fear of loss of either the tangible (loss of the loved one) or loss of the intangible (loss of the love someone provides to you) clouds their judgment.

The Sith relish in their emotions to the point where the fear of not being able to control and possess what their hearts desire leads them to destruction. Power corrupts what it can’t control.

Anakin and Luke’s hero’s journey are both the same taken under different models and having the result vary based on their life experiences.

The Jedi don’t want to train Anakin because he was old enough to have learned what his mother’s love was. They knew that this would cause problems. This point is made even more important by the opposite decision they made when it came to Luke’s destiny.

The prequels make references to the “living force”. This living force is different from the Force. The living force was based out of the essence of human nature - living in the moment and following your heart. Qui-Gon was the main proponent of this philosophy. Unfortunately, the majority of this plot thread was excised from the finished films. Revenge of the Sith was originally going to have a conversation between Yoda and Qui-Gon where much of this was going to be explained. The discussion between Yoda and Obi-Wan later originally reflected the meaningful change in philosophy that Qui-Gon had imparted on Yoda. Originally, Obi-Wan was stated that he would take the boy and train him the way Anakin should’ve been trained. Yoda corrects him and says basically, leave him alone until the Force calls.

This fundamental change in the approach of training Luke in comparison to his father is what ultimately saves the entire galaxy. Luke grew up with love in his heart, he saw what pain of loss is about in the killing of his aunt and uncle, he learned that you can’t control fate by letting your fear of loss call you into action as he did when he rushed to save Han and Leia, and ultimately, Luke learned the one thing that his father sought after almost his whole life – you can save and protect the ones you love from harm and danger, through acts of self-sacrifice and love.

Even though Obi-Wan and Yoda don’t believe Anakin can be redeemed, his son defies them. Because Luke’s journey through life has taught the lessons of the “living force”, he understands that if he wants to save his father – he must be willing to sacrifice everything, including himself. Ultimately, he teaches his father the same lesson and in doing so, Anakin is able to fulfill his destiny and bring the Force back into balance by destroying the old Sith order and the last of the old Jedi. In Luke, the Jedi are reborn in someone that doesn’t shut his heart out to love.

The Force in the saga is the macguffin. Anakin’s quest for the power to prevent death of those you care about is moot. The power he lusted after was there all along. It’s just he got hooked up with a bunch of people that said shut out your heart (the Jedi) and a person who said you need to control what you lust after (the Sith).

The real tragedy for Star Wars fans is that George Lucas had this great foundation but failed to keep what he originally scripted. If he had done so, this would have made much clearer sense.

GaimeGuy said:
I talked with some other gaffers about this a few days ago, and one suggested that the prequel trilogy could have had Anakin and Obi-Wan have the sortof mentor/brother relationship we saw develop, with Obi-Wan mentoring Anakin while still seeking revenge against Maul for the death of Qui Gon. Eventually Obi-Wan realizes the error of his ways and halts his own path towards the Dark Side, but he is unable to save Anakin, to whom he taught his misguided principles.

Another suggestion I heard was that Anakin should have been older when he was discovered by the Jedi. Much much older. During the Clone Wars word spreads of an unknown and unfathomably powerful pilot who survives battle after battle, eliminating waves of fighters on his own. The Jedi can sense his unimaginable power, his natural strength with the force, and that he is susceptible to the influences of the dark side of the force, and decide to eliminate him, they're so fearful of his ability and the threat he could pose to them in the future (even though he is fighting on the same side as them). They send half a dozen jedi knights on a secret assassination mission, but none return. They decide to try to make him a part of the Jedi Order, although he and the jedi do not see eye to eye on a great matter of things. Eventually the pilot (Anakin) becomes a jedi, but he has a fallout with the jedi order and turns over to the dark side, as the jedi feared.
I like these ideas. Particularly the first one. It would make Obi-Wan a tragic figure in that he would've played a part in the downfall of Anakin and all Jedis. It would've given the whole story a real emotional punch.

mre said:
I agree. Of all the plot inconsistencies that you could point to, this one seems to be about the silliest and the easily explained.
It never was a plot inconsistency, it was jsut insanely stupid. It's the main Jedis, they judge and make decisions based on feeling. Every single one of them thinks it's a bad idea but does in anyways. It was just horrible.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
GaimeGuy said:

I think simply upping his age to something like 15-16 years old, instead of 9 or 10. Would have helped a lot. Basically Jon Snow's age when they discover him. Could be most of the same background too. Slave, helping build pods, test driving them, etc.

shintoki said:
I think simply upping his age to something like 15-16 years old, instead of 9 or 10. Would have helped a lot. Basically Jon Snow's age when they discover him. Could be most of the same background too. Slave, helping build pods, test driving them, etc.

But that wouldn't have worked for the the downfall of Anakin. The root cause of his downfall is that he was old enough to know what love was via his mother; but, he never was in a loving relationship long enough to have experiened loss.

A teenager typically has experienced death at some point in their lives. A nine year old may not have.

Anakin was in a fraternity that just out their hearts even though his was wide open because of his age.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Glass Joe said:
Yeah, for sure Luke didn't do anything constructive. But he definitely asked Yoda directly and Yoda made it sound like she'd die. Anyway, it does sound more like the "other hope" wasn't finalized at the time. Then again, Luke and Leia speaking to each other telepathically could only be explained satisfactorily if they were brother and sister (Jedi blood, and all), so maybe it was. Not that bro/sis necessarily = "other hope."

But then again... The first scene of Episode IV, wouldn't Vader be able to sense that "the force" was in Leia, if not outright recognize her genetically as his daughter? Eh who cares. I'll just say that Return of the Jedi had some explanations that didn't hold well for me. It's still an awesome trilogy.

The real answer is that Leia was not Luke's sister until someone pointed out that the "There is another" line needed to be tied up between Empire and Jedi. Originally that line was meant to refer to a twin sister we had never met, and who would be the object of a galaxy-wide search Luke sets off on in Episodes 7-9. Eventually he would find her, training in a remote Jedi conclave hidden from the Empire, and in Episode 9 they would confront and defeat the Emperor (making his first appearance, since Episode 6 was entirely about the defeat of Vader). When Lucas decided not to do 7-9, the line had to have some meaning, so the idea of Luke's sister was simply grafted onto the only female character available, thus creating some very awkward scenes upon a second viewing of the trilogy.

Miggytronz

JediMasterMatt said:
This topic is one of the central plot points of the entire saga. The Force being out of balance had as much to do with the Jedi as it did the Sith. Both orders were polar points along the same line. The balance (humanity) lay between them. Love and compassion require loss and pain to understand the consequences of both.

The Jedi forbid taking older children into their ranks because they want kids that have never known love in their hearts. If they take the child before it can learn the emotion, which is typically gained from your parents, then they will not have learned the fear of loss of either the tangible (loss of the loved one) or loss of the intangible (loss of the love someone provides to you) clouds their judgment.

The Sith relish in their emotions to the point where the fear of not being able to control and possess what their hearts desire leads them to destruction. Power corrupts what it can’t control.

Anakin and Luke’s hero’s journey are both the same taken under different models and having the result vary based on their life experiences.

The Jedi don’t want to train Anakin because he was old enough to have learned what his mother’s love was. They knew that this would cause problems. This point is made even more important by the opposite decision they made when it came to Luke’s destiny.

The prequels make references to the “living force”. This living force is different from the Force. The living force was based out of the essence of human nature - living in the moment and following your heart. Qui-Gon was the main proponent of this philosophy. Unfortunately, the majority of this plot thread was excised from the finished films. Revenge of the Sith was originally going to have a conversation between Yoda and Qui-Gon where much of this was going to be explained. The discussion between Yoda and Obi-Wan later originally reflected the meaningful change in philosophy that Qui-Gon had imparted on Yoda. Originally, Obi-Wan was stated that he would take the boy and train him the way Anakin should’ve been trained. Yoda corrects him and says basically, leave him alone until the Force calls.

This fundamental change in the approach of training Luke in comparison to his father is what ultimately saves the entire galaxy. Luke grew up with love in his heart, he saw what pain of loss is about in the killing of his aunt and uncle, he learned that you can’t control fate by letting your fear of loss call you into action as he did when he rushed to save Han and Leia, and ultimately, Luke learned the one thing that his father sought after almost his whole life – you can save and protect the ones you love from harm and danger, through acts of self-sacrifice and love.

Even though Obi-Wan and Yoda don’t believe Anakin can be redeemed, his son defies them. Because Luke’s journey through life has taught the lessons of the “living force”, he understands that if he wants to save his father – he must be willing to sacrifice everything, including himself. Ultimately, he teaches his father the same lesson and in doing so, Anakin is able to fulfill his destiny and bring the Force back into balance by destroying the old Sith order and the last of the old Jedi. In Luke, the Jedi are reborn in someone that doesn’t shut his heart out to love.

The Force in the saga is the macguffin. Anakin’s quest for the power to prevent death of those you care about is moot. The power he lusted after was there all along. It’s just he got hooked up with a bunch of people that said shut out your heart (the Jedi) and a person who said you need to control what you lust after (the Sith).

The real tragedy for Star Wars fans is that George Lucas had this great foundation but failed to keep what he originally scripted. If he had done so, this would have made much clearer sense.

mindblown, well written.

Salmonax

MattKeil said:
The real answer is that Leia was not Luke's sister until someone pointed out that the "There is another" line needed to be tied up between Empire and Jedi.
Lucas explained in an interview in the 80s that they made Leia his sister because they couldn't figure out why Luke would lash out at Vader in the throne room duel.

Marquand complained to Lucas that the scene didn't make sense and Lucas decided that Vader threatening to turn Luke's sister to the dark side would be sufficient motivation.

JediMasterMatt said:

Wow. The Force is strong in this one. Excellent post.

MattKeil said:
The real answer is that Leia was not Luke's sister until someone pointed out that the "There is another" line needed to be tied up between Empire and Jedi. Originally that line was meant to refer to a twin sister we had never met, and who would be the object of a galaxy-wide search Luke sets off on in Episodes 7-9. Eventually he would find her, training in a remote Jedi conclave hidden from the Empire, and in Episode 9 they would confront and defeat the Emperor (making his first appearance, since Episode 6 was entirely about the defeat of Vader). When Lucas decided not to do 7-9, the line had to have some meaning, so the idea of Luke's sister was simply grafted onto the only female character available, thus creating some very awkward scenes upon a second viewing of the trilogy.

That reasoning doesn't jive though. At the time, there were still plans to do 7-9. Not doing 7-9 was long after Jedi came out.

Mindlog

JediMasterMatt said:
I read it in Obi-Wan's voice and Binary Sunset swelling up. Thank you for that post.

Zabka

JediMasterMatt said:
I wish this was what was intended by the prophecy but Lucas just flat out said it was about ridding the universe of evil.

From reading about the editing of the first movie I don't think he understands human emotions or how unaffected people act at all.

kinn

Suairyu said:
Episode II isn't even 1080p, it's less than that. They shot at 1440 x 1080 and you probably got a lot less than that ending up in the final image.

Episode III was 1080p.

Those films are going to age horrendously. Hilariously, Episode I will in the future be considered the best looking one in the prequel trilogy. I mean, with all its actual sets it kind of already does to a large degree, but it will be a really jarring difference.

Apart from the live scenes and actors, couldn't he just re-render all the digital assets and backgrounds at a higher resolution (that what happened with the Toy Story films right?). God knows what the final result would look like but that's one way he could use....and then re-release them all over again....with more alterations as well!

Rapstah

kinn said:
Apart from the live scenes and actors, couldn't he just re-render all the digital assets and backgrounds at a higher resolution (that what happened with the Toy Story films right?). God knows what the final result would look like but that's one way he could use....and then re-release them all over again....with more alterations as well!
Would anything actually use higher res assets than what was required though? Feels like something you cut down on when it takes a day to render.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Good lord, Attack of the Clones looks absolutely hideous in HD. The CG has aged terribly and everything looks like it's from an FMV from a 1996 PC game. It's funny how Phantom Menace has actually aged the best and matches up well with the OT with it's mixture of sets, miniatures and visual effects.

Am i the only one who liked the prequels? They weren't all bad...can't hold a candle to the Originals, but, eh they're not abominations. AOTC was the worst. Episode 1 was decent, and Episode III was meh.

The battle scenes were pretty good.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Marty Chinn said:
That reasoning doesn't jive though. At the time, there were still plans to do 7-9. Not doing 7-9 was long after Jedi came out.

No, there weren't. Lucas decided to nix 7-9 during the making of Jedi, because after three of those movies he was exhausted and didn't want to do it anymore.

Medalion

Banned
AlimNassor said:
Am i the only one who liked the prequels? They weren't all bad...can't hold a candle to the Originals, but, eh they're not abominations. AOTC was the worst. Episode 1 was decent, and Episode III was meh.

I am completely bored to tears with Episode I, I actually liked the sequels better especially III cuz it was so dark
But yeah, barely a candle to the OT

AlimNassor said:

Other than Jar Jar, the podrace scene, and the horrendously wooden acting when Portman and Christensen were in a scene together I thought they were all pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom