• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Arrests Alleged IS Members Suspected of Planning Terrorist Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/world/europe/germany-raids-isis.html

An Algerian man suspected of training with Islamic State terrorists in Syria and of planning a violent attack in Germany was taken into custody at a refugee shelter in North Rhine-Westphalia early Thursday as hundreds of police carried out antiterrorism raids in three German states, the police said.

A second Algerian man was also detained in the coordinated raids, which began at 6 a.m. in Berlin, Hanover and Attendorn, a town of about 25,000 around an hour’s drive northeast of Cologne, said a Berlin police spokesman, Stefan Redlich.

Two other Algerian men suspected of links to the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, and believed to be “planning a violent act intended to seriously damage the state” were being sought, Mr. Redlich said.

The raids involved 450 police officers, Mr. Redlich said. In Berlin, they were centered on four apartments and two businesses, while the investigation in Attendorn and Hanover focused on refugee shelters.

According to Deutsche Welle, these men had concrete plans to conduct terror attacks in Berlin.

"There were possible attack plans for Germany - concrete ones for Berlin," the Berlin prosecutor's spokesperson Martin Steltner told DPA news agency.

Guess ISIS needs to work on their online communication encryption policies. Good to see that police is going successfully after these people. I still wonder if it's just a matter of time until one of these maniacs drops through the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom