• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany: Seven refugees arrested after a homeless man was set on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDes

Jail followed by deportation seems to me the appropriate action.
Where do you deport them to though? Can't send them back to Syria, it's a failed state and they'd be handed back into the custody of those they ran from. This would likely mean torture and execution.

Which yeah they tried to set a dude on fire and I can see the emotive well they deserve to be tortured and executed answer forming in people's minds and I do understand the need and want for bloody retribution but I would hope a cooler head would see why this isn't really an option

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
"News" really are the pillorys of today.

Nephtis

War-torn country or not, any refugees that do shit like this need to be sent back. There should be no tolerance for something like this. Theft I can understand, as well as getting in fights and such. But murder or setting people on fire? Zero sympathy for those assholes. I would still give refugees the benefit of the doubt and I am all for supporting giving them a chance, because the vast, vast majority are decent people that just have no other choice.

But commit a crime like that and your ass goes back out. I know it sounds unreasonable and it probably is, but what the fuck.

Where do you deport them to though? Can't send them back to Syria, it's a failed state and they'd be handed back into the custody of those they ran from. This would likely mean torture and execution.

Which yeah they tried to set a dude on fire and I can see the emotive well they deserve to be tortured and executed answer forming in people's minds and I do understand the need and want for bloody retribution but I would hope a cooler head would see why this isn't really an option
I imagine that general EU law is the same as in Sweden where you first try if the country in question is safe (according to migration office praxis), then you try the first Dublin Country (as neither Germany nor Sweden has an obligation to accept refugees that didn't arrive there first). Even then (in Sweden) the crime needs to be severe and there needs to be a risk of further crimes or a threat to national safety. If no country accepts then you'll serve time within the national criminal justice system.

What gets a lot of people angry in cases like this is that most civilized states won't deport people to severe risk of death, torture, and other uncivilized violence (like in Syria), and can't accept that no matter how severe the crime we actually don't have capital punishment and value even the lives of all criminals. Not that they'd wish death for EVERYONE, just that, you know, certain people should be considered, maybe?

So yeah, everyone asking for deportation to war torn countries is asking to break national and EU law. If it's safe to deport to said country, and a person commits a crime, it's generally possible to deport an adult and you don't need to rage about it. If a person supports killings for crimes then that's not really something that rolls in the EU and maybe they should find someplace else to live.

Dalibor68

Banned
Followed

Followed by several posters pointing to attacks in their EU countries (sometimes against Romani people).

Now am I to understand that your point is that those attacks aren't as bad cause they weren't 7 perpetrators and they didn't use fire?
Honest question cause I'm confused by what point you are trying to make :S
You are trying changing the narrative. We were talking about a group of 7 setting a hobo on fire and now suddenly you try to change it to "What, are you saying individual assaults without fire are not bad?? What kind of person are you??". It's like textbook goalpost moving. Of course its also bad, to a comparably lesser degree(than attempted murder), but what the hell does that have to do with what we were talking about? The claim was this(group of ppl setting hobos on fire) happens all the time by natives without it getting much media attention and I'm still waiting for all those incidents.

And Phantast2k, if you cant even post without throwing insults then I'm not going bother with you anymore. It's already a wonder you're still here after openly calling people idiots and the implications of your posts in the plane crash thread.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
title of post

Seven refugees arrested after a homeless man was set on fire

content of post
over a suspected attempt on Christmas Eve to set a homeless man on fire in the German capital.

Passers-by, including a train driver with a fire extinguisher, rescued the man from the flames. He was uninjured but his belongings were destroyed.

the act is deplorable, however, your title is basically click bait. what these shits did was set his bed on fire while he was on it. That's unbelievably shitty but I find quite a wide difference in intention between

'dur hur lets light this guys bed on fire and watch him freak'
and
'lets burn this man to death'

it's very obvious from the article that the homeless man was NOT set on fire, despite you claiming that in the post title. His bedding was set on fire.

Please note, I'm not defending these dicks, but your post is basically made up news and made up news got fucking donald trump elected, so please try and do better.

Dalibor68

Banned
title of post

content of post

the act is deplorable, however, your title is basically click bait. what these shits did was set his bed on fire while he was on it. That's unbelievably shitty but I find quite a wide difference in intention between

'dur hur lets light this guys bed on fire and watch him freak'
and
'lets burn this man to death'

it's very obvious from the article that the homeless man was NOT set on fire, despite you claiming that in the post title. His bedding was set on fire.

Please note, I'm not defending these dicks, but your post is basically made up news and made up news got fucking donald trump elected, so please try and do better.

Police is investigating attempted murder.

MUnited83

For you.
You certainly can. I believe the word you meant to use is "won't"
No, you can't.
Do you think they considered the homeless man's human rights as they were trying to bring him to death.
You don't waive and destroy human rights because someone ignores them. Just like you don't murder a murderer or torture someone that used to torture others. Do you have any idea what human rights, and, you know, laws in general are?

You are trying changing the narrative. We were talking about a group of 7 setting a hobo on fire and now suddenly you try to change it to "What, are you saying individual assaults without fird are not bad?? What kind of person are you??". It's like textbook goalpost moving. Of course its also bad to a comparably lesser degree bit what the hell does that have to do with what we were talking about? The claim was this(group of ppl setting hobos on fire) happens all the time by natives without it getting much media attention and I'm still waiting for all those incidents.
Native germans or native Europeans, where did you move those goalposts? And how many people need to be involved to score points? At least 7 or...?

People have given you ample evidence that violence against homeless is common yet you refuse to even acknowledge them. No one is saying that it's not severe no matter how much media attention it gets. Trying to pin it on "refugees" is pointless and harmful considering the agenda you serve by calling attention to it.

Police is investigating attempted murder.
Investigating. It'll likely be considered arson in any case.

spekkeh

Banned

I'd think people fleeing from Syria are fleeing from roving thugs. Who's to say they were not fleeing from those fine people we have here. We can't do it because of laws which are there to protect the innocent, and these thugs stand to benefit from it, which is an unfortunate if necessary byproduct. Then again, laws should be for the people, not the other way around.

Native germans or native Europeans, where did you move those goalposts? And how many people need to be involved to score points? At least 7 or...?

People have given you ample evidence that violence against homeless is common yet you refuse to even acknowledge them. No one is saying that it's not severe no matter how much media attention it gets. Trying to pin it on "refugees" is pointless and harmful considering the agenda you serve by calling attention to it.

This!
Also I don't remember anyone making threads on Neogaf on any of the cases brought up here.
This coupled with a missleading title says a lot about people like the OP and you.

Might be. But the guy was there. If I set your bed in fire while you are in it, that is not attempting to "watch him freak" (wtf...) but attempting to burn you.

It even said that the guy was not harmed because of quick thinking people who grabbed a fire extinguisher.

The police think it is attempted murder, the article literally says how other people "rescued the man from the flames", yet you are downplaying what happened for some reason.

This!
Also I don't remember anyone making threads on Neogaf on any of the cases brought up here.
This coupled with a missleading title says a lot about people like the OP and you.
You are free to make threads about those other issues you know.

Dalibor68

Banned

I did not move any goalposts. I've repeated it a billion times. The claim was "germans do this(a big group setting a hobo on fire)" all the time and it never gets reported like this". This has already been debunked by the fact that this was already reported everywhere here before the culprits nationalities were known. And so far still nobody has presented these multiple german groups regularly setting hobos on fire that would support the original claim. Nobody ever said "germans are saints and never assault hobos" but you built that strawman anyways in order to shift discussion so you can avoid admitting you were wrong.

Dalibor68

Banned
The EU needs a "prison island" where they can be held pending deportation back to Syria / Libya. Just get them out somehow for now, and dump them outside Schengen when it's feasible to do so.
There definitely needs to be some sort of separation to avoid having them radicalize other inmates. All within the law of course.

Forsythia

You're fleeing from a horrible situation and getting all the help you want, and than you do shit like this. I don't get these refugees. I mean, I get that it's probably a very shitty situation and that they're probably bored as fuck as they're not allowed to do anything worthwile (like working), but jesus fuck. If you're going to act like this, yeah, send 'em back. Germany (and other countries) are offering help, and you repay 'em like this. /facepalm

There definitely needs to be some sort of separation to avoid having them radicalize other inmates. All within the law of course.

I've previously proposed Sark for a similar idea with UK illegal immigrants, since it's fairly sparsely populated. I don't know if it would be big enough for a pan-European superprison (and it's kinda moot since we're leaving the EU anyway).

Dalibor68

Banned
"Radicalize"? What about these guys makes you think they're going to radicalise inmates in a prison?
Not these in particular, as they don't seem to have radical islamist motivations or anything. But they could very well fall victim to radicalization in prison as many european prisons are a prime location for that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
We really have a defense force for everything.

They set his belongs on fire, while he was on them... but not him. Its like it's okay if I set your house on fire... but I didn't burn you.

Or kids go around setting people on fire... poor kids.

Thsee are the cases they should take a hard liNed stance and give em a boot.

ittoryu

The EU needs a "prison island" where they can be held pending deportation back to Syria / Libya. Just get them out somehow for now, and dump them outside Schengen when it's feasible to do so.
Great idea; shall we also make them work while we wait for their application to be processed? Maybe they can help with some manufacturing, or some other jobs, possibly for free no?

NEO0MJ

We really have a defense force for everything.

They set his belongs on fire, while he was on them... but not him. Its like it's okay if I set your house on fire... but I didn't burn you.

Or kids go around setting people on fire... poor kids.

Thsee are the cases they should take a hard liNed stance and give em a boot.

But they didn't burn his house, so it's not equivalent.

And kids will be kids, we've all been there.

Anything else I missed?

Dalibor68

Banned
Great idea; shall we also make them work while we wait for their application to be processed? Maybe they can help with some manufacturing, or some other jobs, possibly for free no?
Clearly imprisoning radicalizing inmates seperate from others(doesn't need to be an island) = nazi concentration camps. Stop with this extremely hyperbolic Black/White nonsense.

ittoryu

Clearly imprisoning radicalizing inmates seperate from others(doesn't need to be an island) = nazi concentration camps. Stop with this extremely hyperbolic Black/White nonsense.
Clearly no one has suggested islands where to keep the refugees before accepting them, right? Everything that has been said here has already been said in the other thread, so stop denying things. The idea of a prison island has been tried so many times in the past and it was a complete failure. Shall we try with another great suggestion of "re-education"? But no, it's me being black or white.

I think forced labour in prisons is morally dubious, but I have no problem with making inmates (of any prison, not just my "prison island" idea) work for any luxuries they want in prison. For example, if they want to watch TV for an hour they can run on a hamster wheel and generate the electricity for that. I don't want to pay for it.

Im speechless. Why would anyone even consider this

Attempted murder can get them in jail for a long ass time.

Dalibor68

Banned
Clearly no one has suggested islands where to keep the refugees before accepting them, right? Everything that has been said here has already been said in the other thread, so stop denying things. The idea of a prison island has been tried so many times in the past and it was a complete failure. Shall we try with another great suggestion of "re-education"? But no, it's me being black or white.
I'm not part of some hivemend who automatically agrees with everything everyone else "on my side" says, so I don't care what others suggest. I'm talking about asylum seekers/refugees that have become criminal in a way that would usually result in deportation. And I specifically said it would have to be within the law.

"Re-education" is another buzzword. Mandatory "value" courses are already happening and even the greens agree it's a good thing.

Dalibor68

Banned
It goes to show that a few posters on GAF from the EU are very keen to inform on anything bad that is remotly connected to refugees.
It goes to show that a few posters on GAF will even go as far as to defend people trying to burn a hobo with the classic (still unsubstantiated) "but the natives too!!" in order to keep their worldview intact.

d00d3n

I don't know if this is even an option anymore. I agree in principle that you can't send back a refugee to a war torn country, but clearly a majority of Europeans disagree. The protest votes of these people run the risk of sending all refugees home and I do think that the official response to matters like these are important in forming public opinion. It is a fucked up choice to make, but it may be better to send petty criminals back to the countries that they fled from than risking the status of all refugees.

It goes to show that a few posters on GAF from the EU are very keen to inform on anything bad that is remotly connected to refugees.
Well, it is news, isn't it? A ton of bad stuff also isn't posted that is connected to refugees, but it seems this case is special because... it was a group of people trying to set a man on fire.

I don't know if this is even an option anymore. I agree in principle that you can't send back a refugee to war torn country, but clearly a majority of Europeans disagree. The protest votes of these people run the risk of sending all refugees home and I do think that the official response to matters like these are important in forming public opinion. It is clearly a fucked up choice to make, but it may be better to send petty criminals back to the countries that they fled from than risking the status of all refugees.
If people from safe countries are just being deported straight away, and we lock up criminal ones from unsafe countries, and that is shown to the population and effective, about 90% of complaints about the refugee crisis would disappear I think. But now you have this constant trickle of news and crime - which deserves to be reported upon - that just makes people angry because they feel nothing is being done about it.

Just give them lobotomies and put them to work.

The pros:

they don't die.
they don't go back to a war zone.
they don't get radicalised.
their labour assists the nation and people they have wronged.
their fate serves as a warning to other reprobates.
they will never reoffend.

The cons:

The state becomes responsible for their upkeep and wellbeing but this is moot since the state will have to do this regardless of their punishment.

It's a no brainer

It goes to show that a few posters on GAF will even go as far as to defend people trying to burn a hobo with the classic (still unsubstantiated) "but the natives too!!" in order to keep their worldview intact.

None is defending them, merely saying the criminals also have rights.
Also Ithink we have established that natives do infact attack the homeless and beggars.
That YOU say they don't count cause they werent done by 7 people like you are somehow proving a point does say something.

Vhalyar

And after some time in jail they'll radicalize to join ISIS 2.0 in a year.

Right now the outcome is a slap on the wrist and/or walking it off and/or no fucks being given, which is unacceptable. If there's no current process for handling these cases properly then setting them up should be a priority. Especially since Germany is the country that launched the initiative.

Of course the left is gaining momentum when this shit happens. But right now these stupid issues are piling up and... I don't know, is there something being done about it? Is everyone in charge kind of shrugging it off?

Oh well.

The pros:

they don't die.

The cons:

The state becomes responsible for their upkeep and wellbeing but this is moot since the state will have to do this regardless of their punishment.

It's a no brainer

I see what you did there

ViviOggi

The pros:

they don't die.

The cons:

It's a no brainer
Utterly disgusting

Might be. But the guy was there. If I set your bed in fire while you are in it, that is not attempting to "watch him freak" (wtf...) but attempting to burn you.

It even said that the guy was not harmed because of quick thinking people who grabbed a fire extinguisher.

The police think it is attempted murder, the article literally says how other people "rescued the man from the flames", yet you are downplaying what happened for some reason.
They are investigating attempted murder, it'll likely be considered arson in any case. The post he was replying to was stating how they set fire to the mans belongings, which would likely amount to arson (also called "murder fire", in direct translation from Swedish, but still a separate crime). Murderous intent would be the differentiator and I don't know if we have conclusive evidence on that point?

It's merely law procedure.

I did not move any goalposts. I've repeated it a billion times. The claim was "germans do this(a big group setting a hobo on fire)" all the time and it never gets reported like this". This has already been debunked by the fact that this was already reported everywhere here before the culprits nationalities were known. And so far still nobody has presented these multiple german groups regularly setting hobos on fire that would support the original claim. Nobody ever said "germans are saints and never assault hobos" but you built that strawman anyways in order to shift discussion so you can avoid admitting you were wrong.
You didn't answer with your specific criteria for a similar or equal situation. Unless you do that you will be able to move the goalposts further like you have before. It's pointless to argue with you as long as you don't give us any specifics to debunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom